Wave crushes Southern 66-21

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:TPS, Great pictures and video link. Thanks.
Glad to post. I figured that those that didn't make the game will have a better appreciation of what we dealt with. And yes Willow St was flooded big time. I take the route in by Blue Plate and that was all flooded as well.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:By the way, on the ESPN3 broadcast you could hear the Hullabaloo loud and clear, and it was louder as the lead built. It seemed like the crowd was 2/3 Tulane. Anyone that was there, please comment on the make up of the crowd. It also appeared that the stadium was full, and, as always, the vast majority of empty seats were the Glazer seats. My guess is that those seats had attendees, but they stayed in the A/C most of the game?
It was 50-50. At least three sections on the upper deck were empty. Student section was not sold out nor the young alumni section next to it.
The data points suggesting Yulman is a failure are piling up.
I was sitting on the West side. Both ends of the upper deck were empty. However, its really hard to pass judgment on attendance given the opponent and the weather, and our previous weeks game. I know several people that had tickets, but after the hour long deluge Uptown, with flooded streets, they chose not to go. Even Drill Road next to the Quad was underwater for awhile. It turned out to be decent weather, but a lot of people have grown soft with sitting in airconditioned comfort in the MBSD, and want nothing less than perfect conditions before they go to a game. Given that, stadium operations as a whole were not what they should have been. Hopefully that improves. Don't forget, this is the first gameday that Dannen has experienced. I expect he will see to it that whatever needs to be corrected, is.
Unfortunately that doesn't matter. We chose to leave the Dome because that was supposed to be the problem. Yulman was not only supposed to solve that problem, but to create the on-campus atmosphere that would attract fans and recruits. Well it's accomplishing none of the above so far and has been a major failure financially. Then we have people complaining about the game day experience because all the logistics (everything from parking to concessions) were allowed to be designed by an incompetent athletic director.

We just can't be in year 3 of Yulman and complaining that we need better weather to draw our own fans. Apparently our fans didn't even represent the majority of attendees. It's not a good look at all.
Wave755
Tsunami

If you win they will come, if you lose they will stay home regardless of whether you play at the Dome or Yulman. Bowden/RR playing at the Dome rebuilt our fan base up to about 25,000 in only 2 years simply by winning. By the end of the CJ Clown Show playing at Yulman our fan base was back to about 3,500. Willie Fritz just might shortly have us back again to 25,000 where Bowden/RR left us so long ago. I believe academically elite private universities probably top out these days at about 35,000 for fan base.

The Dome was never our problem but Yulman can now be made to work.
capwave
High Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:By the way, on the ESPN3 broadcast you could hear the Hullabaloo loud and clear, and it was louder as the lead built. It seemed like the crowd was 2/3 Tulane. Anyone that was there, please comment on the make up of the crowd. It also appeared that the stadium was full, and, as always, the vast majority of empty seats were the Glazer seats. My guess is that those seats had attendees, but they stayed in the A/C most of the game?
It was 50-50. At least three sections on the upper deck were empty. Student section was not sold out nor the young alumni section next to it.
The data points suggesting Yulman is a failure are piling up.
I was sitting on the West side. Both ends of the upper deck were empty. However, its really hard to pass judgment on attendance given the opponent and the weather, and our previous weeks game. I know several people that had tickets, but after the hour long deluge Uptown, with flooded streets, they chose not to go. Even Drill Road next to the Quad was underwater for awhile. It turned out to be decent weather, but a lot of people have grown soft with sitting in airconditioned comfort in the MBSD, and want nothing less than perfect conditions before they go to a game. Given that, stadium operations as a whole were not what they should have been. Hopefully that improves. Don't forget, this is the first gameday that Dannen has experienced. I expect he will see to it that whatever needs to be corrected, is.
Unfortunately that doesn't matter. We chose to leave the Dome because that was supposed to be the problem. Yulman was not only supposed to solve that problem, but to create the on-campus atmosphere that would attract fans and recruits. Well it's accomplishing none of the above so far and has been a major failure financially. Then we have people complaining about the game day experience because all the logistics (everything from parking to concessions) were allowed to be designed by an incompetent athletic director.

We just can't be in year 3 of Yulman and complaining that we need better weather to draw our own fans. Apparently our fans didn't even represent the majority of attendees. It's not a good look at all.
There is much that needs to improve such as concession sales, people with parking passes being turned away from the lot they already paid for etc. but the game day experience is 10X better than the dome. If anyone is bitching about weather than you need to get over yourself. Yes, the rain sucked, but rain happens at every stadium from time to time , not just Yulman. And if you think you would have more fans in the stands in the dome vs Yulman you are also wrong. The tailgating and game day experience on campus is great. I know my kids and my wife like it much better than sitting in the dome. We just need to start winning.
capwave
High Tide

Also, I was there, and our fans absolutely represented a majority of the attendees.
bananax07
Ripple

gotula.net extension of Godwin's law is that eventually, every thread is hijacked to complain about the stadium. good job team!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jambalaya Girl Jambalaya To Go is now available at all Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns Athletics and Tulane Green Wave home football games. Yum yum come get you some!! UL Lafayette Cajun Field and Yulman Stadium.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fat Harry
Low Tide

Sick of out of towners complaining about Yulman. Give it up! The stadium is f-ing awesome and the gameday experience is 100x better than the Dome, even with a deluge.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Fat Harry wrote:Sick of out of towners complaining about Yulman. Give it up! The stadium is f-ing awesome and the gameday experience is 100x better than the Dome, even with a deluge.
Saturday was the most fun I've had at a Tulane football game since the Perfect Season. No lies. The atmosphere was incredible, and the game was entertaining. If you win, they will come. Saturday was awesome, and if you weren't there, you missed out. Plain and simple. Maybe the game day logistics weren't up to par for some, and that's fair, but the game, entertainment value, and the feeling of football on a Louisiana Saturday night could be felt uptown! Honestly, I can't believe that was actually a Tulane game we witnessed.

Oh, and Southern's band kicked ass. I'm sure the NIMBY's loved them there! :lol: :lol: :lol: I did feel bad for our band having to perform after them though.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Fat Harry wrote:Sick of out of towners complaining about Yulman. Give it up! The stadium is f-ing awesome and the gameday experience is 100x better than the Dome, even with a deluge.
Saturday was the most fun I've had at a Tulane football game since the Perfect Season. No lies. The atmosphere was incredible, and the game was entertaining. If you win, they will come. Saturday was awesome, and if you weren't there, you missed out. Plain and simple. Maybe the game day logistics weren't up to par for some, and that's fair, but the game, entertainment value, and the feeling of football on a Louisiana Saturday night could be felt uptown! Honestly, I can't believe that was actually a Tulane game we witnessed.

Oh, and Southern's band kicked ass. I'm sure the NIMBY's loved them there! :lol: :lol: :lol: I did feel bad for our band having to perform after them though.
Ha, the TU marching 35- maybe 40? compared to Southern's 90+ member marching band? Yeah that was a tough show to go on after. Plus, I couldn't even hardly hear the TU band cause they marched and played facing towards the TU sideline when Southern marched the whole width of the field and both sides.

I've been at Yulman since day 1 and Saturday was among one of the best. Besides the Will Call and Stadium Seating debacle, I would say Saturday was a great success and a great launching point on improving the experience to make it even better. The only other times that matched Saturday is normally during homecoming.

I hope they can build off this and get a few things corrected such as: Will Call, Online Ticketing System, Sound system, scoreboard delay, whoever is calling the game needs to actually call the game and not take a few plays off such as telling us whether it's a gain and for how many yards and what down and distance it makes it (announcer took a lot of plays off), and less music played through the awful sound system.

Now, onto a beatable Navy. Get us 1 more win closer to Birmingham boys! Roll Wave! Happy Monday!
TURVS71
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:

+1
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RobertM320
Green Wave

I agree with both Steve and GPS. The overall gameday experience was great. The concession/will call etc details are easy fixes. I expect it will be much improved by the time homecoming gets around. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the concession issues were due to staff that took it upon themselves to not show because of the weather, and they probably were able to get away with that in the past, as no one in that dept was help accountable by the last administration. I'm expecting that will change now that Dannen is in charge.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Mr Harry,

I'm pretty sure all the complaints have come from the "in-town" fans who were in attendance.

In the event you are referring to me, I have never disputed any improvement to the "gameday experience". I have concerns about things like financial viability and recruiting, which are more important than game day experience.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:

I took a friend, his son and his son's friend to their first Tulane game. The kids are 10 years old and were LSU fans going in. I got a phone call this morning from the dad asking if I had extra tickets to the Navy game the kids want to see Tulane again. One kid said, "dad I want to go see Tulane play they score much more points than LSU and we had a blast".
All hope is not lost! Make it a fun experience and they will come back. The dad bought them a Tulane football in the bookstore and they had fun throwing it around with other fans and students at tailgate village. The only bad experience they had were that they were turned away at the Loyola lot at 5pm even though they had a parking pass.
Tulane Class of 1981
JDTulane
Riptide

Southern brought of a lot of fans and so did we. The only sections that were embarassing were Glazer (always) and the upper deck ends (NO ONE, I bet most moved to 50 yard line).

Tons of students but half left at halftime when the win was solidified. No shocker here. They were great until then (minus the bone headed chants).

Did I mention Southern's band was awesome?! Serious envy.

Having a hoarse voice from the many Hullabaloos was amazing the next day. The hangover... wasn't.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:

I took a friend, his son and his son's friend to their first Tulane game. The kids are 10 years old and were LSU fans going in. I got a phone call this morning from the dad asking if I had extra tickets to the Navy game the kids want to see Tulane again. One kid said, "dad I want to go see Tulane play they score much more points than LSU and we had a blast".
All hope is not lost! Make it a fun experience and they will come back. The dad bought them a Tulane football in the bookstore and they had fun throwing it around with other fans and students at tailgate village. The only bad experience they had were that they were turned away at the Loyola lot at 5pm even though they had a parking pass.

Tim....let me know if you need tickets....I may have 4 in the Family Section, they were used for the Southern Game and I promised if they kept going they could have the tickets for the year...however, we have an agreement if they cannot attend, I can give them to someone else ...the tickets are located at my Mom's house in metry
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:

Tim....let me know if you need tickets....I may have 4 in the Family Section, they were used for the Southern Game and I promised if they kept going they could have the tickets for the year...however, we have an agreement if they cannot attend, I can give them to someone else ...the tickets are located at my Mom's house in metry
Thanks. Will do. But I hope they didn't get spoiled sitting on the 50 in the Westfeld club thanks to Chain Gang! Lol
We may have a new fan there!
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

No one mentioned the free Angry Wave Garden Flags for fans. I think it was a great touch and was able to snag 2 of them. I will post pictures when I get home.
JDTulane
Riptide

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:No one mentioned the free Angry Wave Garden Flags for fans. I think it was a great touch and was able to snag 2 of them. I will post pictures when I get home.

I heard a lot of people around me compliment them
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I agree with both Steve and GPS. The overall gameday experience was great. The concession/will call etc details are easy fixes. I expect it will be much improved by the time homecoming gets around. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the concession issues were due to staff that took it upon themselves to not show because of the weather, and they probably were able to get away with that in the past, as no one in that dept was help accountable by the last administration. I'm expecting that will change now that Dannen is in charge.
I was thinking and hoping the same thing about the workers possibly not showing due to the weather. This needs to be cleaned up by this weekend.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If a supervisor loses their job over it, the message may hit home that its a new era in Tulane Athletics. Anything less than total commitment is not acceptable.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Here's the Angry Wave garden flag, as you can see, my dog approves!

sader24
Tsunami

I was not complaining about building a stadium. I think it has turned out to be the right move. However, I was very aggravated with the concession situation in the 2nd quarter and I hope it gets fixed for this weekend. I also wish they would allow ppl to go upstairs simply for the concessions instead of checking tickets at the stairs. The pregame atmosphere has been great for the bigger games. I expect the ULL game to be an incredible atmosphere.
chain gang x man
Swell

[
Thanks. Will do. But I hope they didn't get spoiled sitting on the 50 in the Westfeld club thanks to Chain Gang! Lol
We may have a new fan there!
Image[/quote]

Tim I have 2 tickets in sect 118
Not 50 but closer to the field

When the other tickets are available they are yours
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote: Tim I have 2 tickets in sect 118
Not 50 but closer to the field

When the other tickets are available they are yours
Thanks!
Tulane Class of 1981