Wave crushes Southern 66-21

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Student section is pathetic. Their team is winning big and they empty out at halftime. This doesn't happen at football schools.

oliveandblue
Surge

56-21 in the 3rd.

The rest of the reason won't be jacked up like this.
oliveandblue
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:Student section is pathetic. Their team is winning big and they empty out at halftime. This doesn't happen at football schools.
Actually it does. Alabama had issues last season with students leaving early during blowouts.
puffy
Surge

Guys, we may never see Cuiellette taking snaps at quarterback the rest of this season. Nothing against him, but Brantley brings that extra dimension of speed at qb that defenses have to respect. Plus, running this type of offense is innate to him; Cuiellette wouldn't have made that pitch to Rounds on the big 4th down run.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

puffy wrote:Guys, we may never see Cuiellette taking snaps at quarterback the rest of this season. Nothing against him, but Brantley brings that extra dimension of speed at qb that defenses have to respect. Plus, running this type of offense is innate to him; Cuiellette wouldn't have made that pitch to Rounds on the big 4th down run.
I totally agree. Cuiellette looks "stiff" while Brantley looks natural. And he's got an arm, just needs to reel it in.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Student section is pathetic. Their team is winning big and they empty out at halftime. This doesn't happen at football schools.
Actually it does. Alabama had issues last season with students leaving early during blowouts.
Tulane has had so much losing and bad football. Why not stick around and enjoy this.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:
Tulane has had so much losing and bad football. Why not stick around and enjoy this.
Students don't have the perspective we do. They just started following (to the extent that they do) Tulane football. We've been watching for a long, long time. And I'm not turning it off! :mrgreen:

I hope Brantley is the starter next week.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OUG
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:
Because they're young people and want to drink and meet up with their friends? I mean, really? This happens at every school in the country.
OUG
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Tulane has less than 200 yards of total offense and only a handful of yards passing yet it has 49 points - Southern is really, really, bad and this game doesn't tell us much about Tulane's team.

In bad news, Sean Wilson is in a boot.
Please. We are moving the ball well. We don't have many yards because we have had short fields. Wake put up 24 on the road at Duke and looked great today. Were you one of the people saying they wouldn't win another game this year? They'll be a bowl team.

Things are starting to click, and we got all our QBs involved tonight. We will get better every week. We won't look this good every week but we will present a handful for a lot of teams, as we did for Wake.
Robert1969
Riptide

66-21. Shades of what can be under Fritz! Love it!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:
That's the wrong way to think about it. Going to celebrate a victory that's already in the bag IS enjoying it. No one wants to watch non-competitive football.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Without a doubt this team is good enough to win at last 5 more games this year for bowl eligibility.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Tulane has less than 200 yards of total offense and only a handful of yards passing yet it has 49 points - Southern is really, really, bad and this game doesn't tell us much about Tulane's team.

In bad news, Sean Wilson is in a boot.
Please. We are moving the ball well. We don't have many yards because we have had short fields. Wake put up 24 on the road at Duke and looked great today. Were you one of the people saying they wouldn't win another game this year? They'll be a bowl team.

Things are starting to click, and we got all our QBs involved tonight. We will get better every week. We won't look this good every week but we will present a handful for a lot of teams, as we did for Wake.
Lol. Dickson Disease runs deep. Our curb stomping of Southern has to fit into his existing narrative that "we are what we are and if you don't like it you can go across the street." Finding out that we are very capable of being something different and something successful challenges that world view.

We will be more than a handful for many teams. Excellent defense and a running game is a winning formula. We are a very well coached squad.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

puffy wrote:Guys, we may never see Cuiellette taking snaps at quarterback the rest of this season. Nothing against him, but Brantley brings that extra dimension of speed at qb that defenses have to respect. Plus, running this type of offense is innate to him; Cuiellette wouldn't have made that pitch to Rounds on the big 4th down run.
We need to start Brantley and stick with him if we are going to be running option football. Brantley looks like a natural, makes quick reads, and pitches the ball very well. He is less hesitant than GC in every respect in terms of the option game and boy is he fast. I know it's against lower competition, but damn did he look fast. Great win tonight. Roll Wave!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

oliveandblue wrote:
Yep, and so does Michigan, and UT, and every other school, especially when you're up 49-7 by halftime. If you want to say it was close, ok maybe if you reset the score and forget about the first half, and then the last 7 minutes of the 3rd and whole 4th quarter, I guess we could say it was close.
greenphantom
Swell

Good win and Brantley looks like he can be really good. Southern was coached by a CJ clone as it could have been a reasonably close game. Southern has some talent
puffy
Surge

I was as leery as the next guy about Tulane being a run heavy spread option group, but if they keep piling up the rushing yards and points, I think I'll be just fine with it.

To this point, Brantley will only attempt 15-17 passes a game, but looks like he has the potential to eventually toss it in the low to mid 20 attempts with good accuracy.

Feel bad for GC that he was yanked after throwing the pick 6. But with the way Brantley performed, I don't see how Fritz can keep him on the bench. If only Brantley could've gotten in school last Spring like Bradwell...Tulane would've probably been 2-0.
OUG
Riptide

Fritz always says that he adapts to his personnel.

Well, he needs to decide whether we are a spread/pistol based triple option team or a read-pass option team. To me, we have questionable wide receivers (we would have scored 70 tonight if Dace III doesn't drop a gimme), we have an OL who cannot pass block at all against good FBS teams, we have QB's that have weak passing skills and poise in the pocket (see Glen's pick-6 pass tonight, and he is supposed to be the best thrower?). Meanwhile we have a lot of speed on the edge in the run game. We have a line that can block at least decently running downhill. We have a QB who is fluid in the option game.

What am I missing here? It seems like a no-brainer that we play a spread based triple option with Brantley the rest of the year. If that's what our talent supports, that's who we should be. At least this year. I hope Fritz is figuring this out.
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

To me it was a good win for Tulane. We won handily, however there was enough bad for the coaches to chew the team out this week (ie we got toasted on several occasions in the secondary). I was not too impressed with the F#ck You Southern chant that our student section did in the first quarter, especially having my 11, 8 and 4 year olds within earshot of it.
JDTulane
Riptide

Our krewe made the news!

http://m.wdsu.com/news/nowcast/12246476

We start around 2:50/3:00.
JDTulane
Riptide

Great win for Tulane. I worry about how one dimensional the offense has been however.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:Fritz always says that he adapts to his personnel.

Well, he needs to decide whether we are a spread/pistol based triple option team or a read-pass option team. To me, we have questionable wide receivers (we would have scored 70 tonight if Dace III doesn't drop a gimme), we have an OL who cannot pass block at all against good FBS teams, we have QB's that have weak passing skills and poise in the pocket (see Glen's pick-6 pass tonight, and he is supposed to be the best thrower?). Meanwhile we have a lot of speed on the edge in the run game. We have a line that can block at least decently running downhill. We have a QB who is fluid in the option game.

What am I missing here? It seems like a no-brainer that we play a spread based triple option with Brantley the rest of the year. If that's what our talent supports, that's who we should be. At least this year. I hope Fritz is figuring this out.
To be fair, I think he's still figuring out what he's got at QB. It was obvious that Brantley added to the run game and that's what we are going to focus on. Had we started against Southern and then played Wake, I think we'd be 2-0 for sure.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:Great win for Tulane. I worry about how one dimensional the offense has been however.
Don't think it's a problem if we're not punting.
Last edited by jonathanjoseph on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nice to see us blow out a team that we should blow out. Very refreshing.

Offensively- I said that Brantley has the highest ceiling and tonight you got to see it. The more he learns the offense the better he will get. The offense gets people open . Eventually he will get comfortable and hit them. As OUG said we got so many short fields it was hard to judge the offense.

Defensively- The front 7 is good. The back end needs a lot of work. We are lucky that we won't face a good passer for a while.

ST's- Looking good. Gotta love the improvement there thenks to WF personally coaching them. ST's made Beamer a good coach. Don't overlook the fact that Fritz gets that.

Students- 1) Fuck you Southern? That's the best you got? You're smarter and better than that.

2) Not buying the above excuses. First game and not sold out. Leaving at half time. The party doesn't start till at least 10. iss poor.

3) I'll say it again. There is no clap in the Roll Wave cheer. It's a good strong cheer. Stop sissyfying it w/the clap.

Overall a great night. First conference game next week. No excuses. Let's roll Navy.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Houma de Wave
Swell

greenphantom wrote:This parking situation sux. Got to Ursuline 30 min before kickoff to find out lot is full even though I have a pass. Nice to see there are cars in the lot with Southern flags. Thanks Tulane
I knew this would happen. It was nearly full when I got in with my pass. You paid good money for that pass. This sickens me that Tulane does this.