Wave loses opener 7-3

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

Why are Powell and Lee's names even spoken at this point

Wave QB
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:
Wave QB wrote:Man. What a tough game to drink. We outplayed Wake and still lost. Never thought I would see this many people excited about a 7-3 loss to a team that might not win 4 to 5 games this year. I don't believe in moral victories. I am very worried about this offense. I saw nothing to make me believe that we will win 2 or 3 games this year. Our offensive line might keep Southern in the game. They just don't have what it takes. I hope Fritz brings in a good offensive line class.

plus one! Now I am thinking three wins.

Yeah man, this 7-3 excitement around here is scary. I learned my lesson a few years ago and refuse to wear green shades any longer.

I brought dinner for 5 people at Jack Dempsey's Restaurant after Buddy Teevens beat SMU 13-12 to begin the Buddy System. I lost my voice screaming for Bob Toledo as we took the 9-7 lead over LSU in the dome. I was in the tunnel fired up for CJ and he took the field vs Rutgers in 2012 and argued with folks after the game about all of the improvements I saw.

After so many heartbreaks, I will have to see two winning seasons under Fritz in order for me to jump on the bandwagon.

As far as this 3-7 ugly loss goes, I guess I wasn't sitting at the same game that some folks on this board saw on TV. I saw the defense playing well, but that's nothing new. I saw the offense struggling to score, but I have seen that since 2013. I saw the special teams do good things and bad things, but I saw that last year. I can't be excited off of 3 points! The only thing I am excited about is that Fritz doesn't look or seem happy like CJ did after losing ugly.

For the record, I would have picked the 2013 team to win this game. Before you guys start the "we are better" and "we will improve" talk, please note that Wale Forrest wasn't a good team and that we are blessed with another 2013 type schedule. So even if we win 6 or 7 game, (which I can't see), it won't be anything for me to parade about. I can't be wear the shades anymore, I want to be a consistent program. I am happy that Fritz and TD wants the same thing.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:Why are Powell and Lee's names even spoken at this point
Powell was in south Louisiana filming an episode of Swamp People and Tanner was home watching an instructional video "Pokeme-find-open-reciever"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave QB
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Powell was in south Louisiana filming an episode of Swamp People and Tanner was home watching an instructional video "Pokeme-find-open-reciever"
Lol.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave QB wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:We are definitley better coached by a wide margin, but some of Fritz decisions tonight are mind boggling. This was a field goal game. We should be up at least 9-7!!!
+1. We at least look like a college coached team but there have been some head scratchers. Not looking good.
I can't agree just yet. We look no different from the CJ era. I am not bashing Fritz.
Says the guy who thought Devin Powell should start. :roll:
Lol. Oh, so Tanner Lee would have won the game tonight huh? Please! We would have tossed at least 2 picks together and would have been sacked a few times as well

Let's get the story straight. I said Powell should start if your boyfriend Tanner Lee stunk up the joint just like Wave QB told us he would. I saw Tanner at practice and actually agreed with you and a few others that he had the tools to be good and wanted him to start. On game day, he sucked! He missed reads. He threw picks, and beat A Houston team that refused to blitz and two other FCS programs in his Tulane career. The kid sucked on the field. So get your story together while Tanner allows you to come up for air.

Back to the game, Frtiti didnt coach a great game and it resulted in a L. Kicks should have been kicked. QB shouldn't have been shuffled once you are in a groove.
We were coached down and regressed each week under CJ telling our QB to stay in the pocket. Had either stayed we may win this one because WF plays to his QB strength and puts him in a position to succeed. We just don't have the experience at QB. It's just the way I see it. We can't pass with any success with the current QB cast that's why our best chance to win is to run run run.
After Southern I believe teams are going to put 9 in the box and dare us to pass.
I can respect your thoughts on this and you do make great points. However, I just watched Tanner Lee just tossed the ball into coverage to many times for me to believe that we would have beaten Wake with him. The kid made terrible decisions as our starter and I wanted him to do well. Powell never showed me greatness or anything, but in this offense, I am more confident that he could have hit receivers and move the offense across the goal line.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda had been our story for a while. Hopefully Fritz can get things going, but anyone encouraged off a 3-7 defeat to a very weak ACC team doesn't know anything about football. The defense played a good game, but we have seen them do this plenty of times in games we didn't turn the ball over since 2012. We look like the same team. I will be watching the Southern-ULM game tomorrow to see if I need to be worried.
It is mindblowing that the Devin Powell truthers are still continuing. This coaching staff demoted Devin Powell to 4th string behind Brantley before he even stepped foot on campus.
It's mind-blowing that you clearly didn't understand the man's post and believe that Tanner Lee was great for Tulane football. The kid did exactly what I warned you he would do at Tulane and the story is over! I am starting to see why you have so many haters on this board. I don't know what Tanner Lee has done to your heart to make you bash other QB's, but it is really crazy. Tanner Lee was terrible here and gave games away! Period! Powell struggled in the pro formation, but he gave us life in the shotgun when Price finally let him go. Maybe you need to go back and look at the 2013 season if you don't agree.

Why do you keep forcing Tanner Lee vs Powell debates? Both kids had tools but were poorly coached. Both kids are gone and can't help Tulane football. All we can do is wish Tanner the best at Nebraska an Devin the best at Nicholls. I have been told that both kids have done some good things already.

It's time for you to learn more about the game of football and focus on our QB's.
lol the only QB I mentioned or referred to is Devin Powell, who this staff demoted to 4th string.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It looks like ULL is getting the business from Boise State as everyone expected, but ULL is currently holding Boise to 2.5 rushing yards per carry. This could be worth keeping an eye on in the ULL v USA game in terms of preparing for the ULL and Tulane game.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Powell was in south Louisiana filming an episode of Swamp People and Tanner was home watching an instructional video "Pokeme-find-open-receiver (fify)"
Eaglewave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:We are definitley better coached by a wide margin, but some of Fritz decisions tonight are mind boggling. This was a field goal game. We should be up at least 9-7!!!
+1. We at least look like a college coached team but there have been some head scratchers. Not looking good.
I can't agree just yet. We look no different from the CJ era. I am not bashing Fritz.
Lol. Oh, so Tanner Lee would have won the game tonight huh? Please! We would have tossed at least 2 picks together and would have been sacked a few times as well

Let's get the story straight. I said Powell should start if your boyfriend Tanner Lee stunk up the joint just like Wave QB told us he would. I saw Tanner at practice and actually agreed with you and a few others that he had the tools to be good and wanted him to start. On game day, he sucked! He missed reads. He threw picks, and beat A Houston team that refused to blitz and two other FCS programs in his Tulane career. The kid sucked on the field. So get your story together while Tanner allows you to come up for air.

Back to the game, Frtiti didnt coach a great game and it resulted in a L. Kicks should have been kicked. QB shouldn't have been shuffled once you are in a groove.
We were coached down and regressed each week under CJ telling our QB to stay in the pocket. Had either stayed we may win this one because WF plays to his QB strength and puts him in a position to succeed. We just don't have the experience at QB. It's just the way I see it. We can't pass with any success with the current QB cast that's why our best chance to win is to run run run.
After Southern I believe teams are going to put 9 in the box and dare us to pass.
I can respect your thoughts on this and you do make great points. However, I just watched Tanner Lee just tossed the ball into coverage to many times for me to believe that we would have beaten Wake with him. The kid made terrible decisions as our starter and I wanted him to do well. Powell never showed me greatness or anything, but in this offense, I am more confident that he could have hit receivers and move the offense across the goal line.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda had been our story for a while. Hopefully Fritz can get things going, but anyone encouraged off a 3-7 defeat to a very weak ACC team doesn't know anything about football. The defense played a good game, but we have seen them do this plenty of times in games we didn't turn the ball over since 2012. We look like the same team. I will be watching the Southern-ULM game tomorrow to see if I need to be worried.
It is mindblowing that the Devin Powell truthers are still continuing. This coaching staff demoted Devin Powell to 4th string behind Brantley before he even stepped foot on campus.
It's mind-blowing that you clearly didn't understand the man's post and believe that Tanner Lee was great for Tulane football. The kid did exactly what I warned you he would do at Tulane and the story is over! I am starting to see why you have so many haters on this board. I don't know what Tanner Lee has done to your heart to make you bash other QB's, but it is really crazy. Tanner Lee was terrible here and gave games away! Period! Powell struggled in the pro formation, but he gave us life in the shotgun when Price finally let him go. Maybe you need to go back and look at the 2013 season if you don't agree.

Why do you keep forcing Tanner Lee vs Powell debates? Both kids had tools but were poorly coached. Both kids are gone and can't help Tulane football. All we can do is wish Tanner the best at Nebraska an Devin the best at Nicholls. I have been told that both kids have done some good things already.

It's time for you to learn more about the game of football and focus on our QB's.
lol the only QB I mentioned or referred to is Devin Powell, who this staff demoted to 4th string.

Please post those facts. The only facts that we know is that Tanner Lee sucked for us and tossed picks. Move on man and stop trying to high jack this thread for a INT machine.
Ball Sumrall!
T1B2TW
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Keep thinking back to 1996-97.

1996 Tulane was 2-9 with terrible offense, Shaun King completely ineffective at QB and offensive line full of fifth year seniors.

1997 Tulane wins opening against Cincinnati, offense looks good, inexperienced offensive line does the job. Shaun King plays really well being coached by coordinator hired from NAIA school.

2015, poorly coached Tulane team with terrible offense and special teams goes 3-9.

2016, only the QB is inexperienced, but huge upgrade in coaching......
1997...Tulane wins the first ever CUSA football game
Tulane won their first ever C-USA conference game vs Cincinnati 34-14 in '96, not '97.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:
Wave QB wrote:Man. What a tough game to drink. We outplayed Wake and still lost. Never thought I would see this many people excited about a 7-3 loss to a team that might not win 4 to 5 games this year. I don't believe in moral victories. I am very worried about this offense. I saw nothing to make me believe that we will win 2 or 3 games this year. Our offensive line might keep Southern in the game. They just don't have what it takes. I hope Fritz brings in a good offensive line class.

plus one! Now I am thinking three wins.

Yeah man, this 7-3 excitement around here is scary. I learned my lesson a few years ago and refuse to wear green shades any longer.

I brought dinner for 5 people at Jack Dempsey's Restaurant after Buddy Teevens beat SMU 13-12 to begin the Buddy System. I lost my voice screaming for Bob Toledo as we took the 9-7 lead over LSU in the dome. I was in the tunnel fired up for CJ and he took the field vs Rutgers in 2012 and argued with folks after the game about all of the improvements I saw.

After so many heartbreaks, I will have to see two winning seasons under Fritz in order for me to jump on the bandwagon.

As far as this 3-7 ugly loss goes, I guess I wasn't sitting at the same game that some folks on this board saw on TV. I saw the defense playing well, but that's nothing new. I saw the offense struggling to score, but I have seen that since 2013. I saw the special teams do good things and bad things, but I saw that last year. I can't be excited off of 3 points! The only thing I am excited about is that Fritz doesn't look or seem happy like CJ did after losing ugly.

For the record, I would have picked the 2013 team to win this game. Before you guys start the "we are better" and "we will improve" talk, please note that Wale Forrest wasn't a good team and that we are blessed with another 2013 type schedule. So even if we win 6 or 7 game, (which I can't see), it won't be anything for me to parade about. I can't be wear the shades anymore, I want to be a consistent program. I am happy that Fritz and TD wants the same thing.

As you and a few others know, I wanted Fritz to coach here badly because I believe we need a veteran who's won with less. Fritz has been criticized for his play calling in clutch situation by previous schools, but at least we know we have a winner for a coach who really wants to win. CJ didn't show this because he didn't fire anyone who didn't do a good job. Fritz isn't going to keep any coach who isn't showing results. Mark it.
Ball Sumrall!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
greenphantom wrote:

Please post those facts. The only facts that we know is that Tanner Lee sucked for us and tossed picks. Move on man and stop trying to high jack this thread for a INT machine.
This is bananas. The quotes make it very clear that I have not referenced Tanner Lee in any way, form or fashion.
greenphantom
Swell

frtitz is definitely a better coach than CJ, Toledo and Scelfo but there were still a few bad coaching decisions the other night. Just can't excuse that decision to bring in Bradwell on that possession and some of the play calling weak. Wake will not be a bowl team.

I think GC will improve but agree that he missed opportunities to pitch that could have been big gainers. Glad we play Southern this week to help give him some confidence.
greenphantom
Swell

I wish people would stop talking Tanner Tree
Wave QB
Swell

greenphantom wrote:frtitz is definitely a better coach than CJ, Toledo and Scelfo but there were still a few bad coaching decisions the other night. Just can't excuse that decision to bring in Bradwell on that possession and some of the play calling weak. Wake will not be a bowl team.

I think GC will improve but agree that he missed opportunities to pitch that could have been big gainers. Glad we play Southern this week to help give him some confidence.
I am concerned about Southern. They didn't look as bad as I throught they would in that 38-21 loss to ULM today. That RB is pretty good.
Hornetswave
Low Tide

If this team was coached by CJ I would worry about Southern. I am resting this week with WF at the helm.
msdos
Swell

Hornetswave wrote:If this team was coached by CJ I would worry about Southern. I am resting this week with WF at the helm.
but why? He literally showed less than 3 days ago that he is capable of losing to a bad team
Hornetswave
Low Tide

Its the coach's confidence. CJ had none. WF has it. Roll Wave!!!!
Robert1969
Riptide

msdos wrote:
Hornetswave wrote:If this team was coached by CJ I would worry about Southern. I am resting this week with WF at the helm.
but why? He literally showed less than 3 days ago that he is capable of losing to a bad team
Bad team? Whatever. They were a 17 point home favorite, an ACC team with a Top 40 defense, and a team that is likely to go bowling this year, and we had them sweating bullets until the very end. And we lost more due to the inexperience of our quarterback and team in brand new system than we did because they were better than us. We outplayed them in virtually every facet of the game. There are no moral victories, but this was not some kind of disastrous loss either.
Wave QB
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:
msdos wrote:
Bad team? Whatever. They were a 17 point home favorite, an ACC team with a Top 40 defense, and a team that is likely to go bowling this year, and we had them sweating bullets until the very end. And we lost more due to the inexperience of our quarterback and team in brand new system than we did because they were better than us. We outplayed them in virtually every facet of the game. There are no moral victories, but this was not some kind of disastrous loss either.
It was not a disastrous loss, but I am very worried about this season. You mean to tell me we couldn't score more than 3 points vs that defense you saw on the field? Wake's defense is solid, but they weren't 3-7 good. Your post screams "moral victory" to me. We scored 3 points.

I can't see Wake going to a bowl game this year.
Wave QB
Swell

I hear ya, but I was more impressed with what we did vs Rutgers in CJ's debut vs this 3-7 loss to Wake Forrest. We have to wait before we compare.
lurker123
Swell

Tulane is simply in for a lot of close low scoring games this season. (Bet the under all the time, anyone?)

If it plays .500 ball or even has a winning record, the coaches will have maxed out the existing talent. If it has a losing record come December then that will be a fair indicator that Tulane is a bad team.

Did you notice how many "good" teams Saturday had false start penalties, delay of games and wasted time outs because of substitution miscues. Did LSU really have only nine players on the field for one punt as well as the game ending cheap shot? A Top Ten team?

Thursday night Tulane had none of this type stuff. Zero. Nada. In the staff's first game with an entirely new system. Ghost of CJ and corresponding lack of discipline has departed from this team.

Regardless I think at most we see only one or two beatdowns and with luck maybe none. Also no more score and morale destroying special teams play. With luck Tulane sneaks a win this season it doesn't deserve to offset Wake result.
Robert1969
Riptide

Wave QB wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
msdos wrote:
It was not a disastrous loss, but I am very worried about this season. You mean to tell me we couldn't score more than 3 points vs that defense you saw on the field? Wake's defense is solid, but they weren't 3-7 good. Your post screams "moral victory" to me. We scored 3 points.

My post doesn't have anything to do with moral victories, instead it is meant as an antidote to the irrational negativity that some of you are displaying after that loss. Basically we loss that game over one tipped kick. If Dirocco's second FG attempt isn't tipped, and the score moves to 7-6, the next time we get down there, we don't have to go for it on fourth down, and we can kick the game winner.

Would there still be room for pessimism? Yes. But basically some of you are acting like the sky is falling over a game, whose outcome was essentially altered by a tipped kick. Now would I have liked us to score 24 points and win going away at 24-7, yes. We should have scored more. But the reality is, we had ourselves in position to win against a team that was a 17 point favorite, and, in fact, outplayed that team in a game in which we debuted a new coach, a new system, a new quarteback. We should want a better outcome, but after watching Tulane on Thursday night, I am feeling more hopeful than pessimistic. With some tweaks here and there, this team should be better than any of the experts projected.
Robert1969
Riptide

Let's just remind everyone what Wake Forest did last year:

Only in losses to North Carolina, Clemson, and Notre Dame, three teams that all finished in the Top 25 last year, was Wake Forest "blown out." They were highly competitive in every other game last year. This was one of the better 3-9 teams last year. They could have gone bowling last year with a few breaks and a little better offensive play.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
msdos wrote:

My post doesn't have anything to do with moral victories, instead it is meant as an antidote to the irrational negativity that some of you are displaying after that loss. Basically we loss that game over one tipped kick. If Dirocco's second FG attempt isn't tipped, and the score moves to 7-6, the next time we get down there, we don't have to go for it on fourth down, and we can kick the game winner.

Would there still be room for pessimism? Yes. But basically some of you are acting like the sky is falling over a game, whose outcome was essentially altered by a tipped kick. Now would I have liked us to score 24 points and win going away at 24-7, yes. We should have scored more. But the reality is, we had ourselves in position to win against a team that was a 17 point favorite, and, in fact, outplayed that team in a game in which we debuted a new coach, a new system, a new quarteback. We should want a better outcome, but after watching Tulane on Thursday night, I am feeling more hopeful than pessimistic. With some tweaks here and there, this team should be better than any of the experts projected.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wave QB wrote:

I haven't seen their schedule but I can't see Wake winning another game this year. They are terrible. They shouldn't have won Thursday.
God Bless Everyone!