Troy Dannen is a class act! Quick story

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
capwave
High Tide

On Monday I lost my father, and yesterday we had services for him. My dad was a lifelong Tulane fan and season ticket holder who raised my brother and I to be Tulane fans. We are now season ticket holders and bring our family to every game. We even converted our wives from lsu fans to diehard Tulane fans. Apparently my cousin sent a brief email to Troy Dannen, just letting him know that he lost a huge lifelong fan in my dad. Well, yesterday at the services in Covington, in walked Troy Dannen to send his condolences in person. He came in and spoke with my mom and my brothers and I for a few minutes and just said that the Tulane family was with us. I know my dad was smiling and it meant so much to my family, because Tulane has been such a huge part of our lives. This is a very busy man and for him to find the time to do what he did, just says so much about what type of man he is. We are all in good hands. Roll Wave

Aberzombie1892
Swell

+1834.

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry for your loss.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Sorry for your loss. Dannen is a quality guy!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Capwave.... I am sorry to hear of your father's passing... My thoughts and prayers for you and your family...May Gods warm light of love shine brightly upon you and yours to give you peace.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Capwave sorry for your loss and a nice story there. Here's something I spotted yesterday that Troy posted on the way to your family's services.
Your dad is in heaven! Check this out!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing. Dannen is certainly a something special that Tulane has not had in the Athletic Department for a long time. I also saw his tweet yesterday from the Causeway and wondered what would he be doing on the Northshore on a Thursday morning.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I saw it as well. Sorry for your loss, capwave.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Sorry for your loss.

What a great story. Dannen just gets more and more impressive with time.
capwave
High Tide

Thank you all for the kind words. He will be missed.
TXWave88
Surge

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

I cannot wait to share this story with Tulane alumni and fans that do not visit these boards and may have disengaged their efforts in supporting Tulane athletics. It is just a great story that I think can really connect with people. People want to support people like Troy Dannen. I am just glad that we have a person like him leading our athletic department.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I am very sorry for your loss, cap.

That was very thoughtful of TD. I'm quite impressed.
God Bless Everyone!
capwave
High Tide

I quit counting the number of lsu fans at my dads funeral that came up to me said they now have no choice but to cheer for Tulane. It really touched a lot of people.
GreenLantern
Riptide

May you find comfort by remembering the times you shared with your father.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for sharing the story. So sorry for your loss. Take care.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Capwave....my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The love your Dad had for you and the love he shared with you for Tulane will always live on in your hearts, and the hearts of those you share that love with. I hope you and your family find peace in this time of sorrow.

Thank you for sharing this story, I'm sure your father was smiling down on the gathering that included Mr. Dannen.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

Of all the things i think he's done right since he got here, this prob tops the list.
Jaxwave
Swell

That is how you judge a person. Showing up to console the family says a lot. I am going to send in an additional donation to TD for taking the time to think of your family. My condolences and prayers, Capwave.

In the same vein, my son went to the University of Florida and roomed with David Lee who the couple of times I met him seemed like a real nice kid. Well my opinion was confirmed when I read the story about him after he was let go by the Knicks. Their long time elderly locker room attendant passed away in the next offseason and his funeral was in upstate New York. David was home in St Louis at the time, heard of the passing and flew back to NY, drove four hours to the small town where the funeral was held to attend. No other representative from the Knicks showed up. No one knew David was coming and he quietly slipped into the back of the church hoping to not cause any fanfare or draw any attention to himself. He is 6' 10"" so was noticed by a local sportswriter who asked him afterwards whether he was asked by the Knicks to represent them and he said he hadn't talked to anyone but just wanted to show his appreciation for all the man had done for him and he reminded David of his late grandfather.

The world needs more thoughtful and gracious human beings like Troy Dannen and David Lee.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Best to your entire family.

Troy Dannen's acumen is exceeded only by his humanity. How fortunate Amy and their kids are.

We are sooner than later going to be fighting off other universities for Troy and hopefully Tulane is putting aside a pot of gold to retain him when the inevitable offers come.

Awesome, Troy.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
capwave
High Tide

Again, thank all of you for the kind words and prayers. It is going to be so tough to go to the first game this year without him. But I have never been so proud to call myself a Tulane fan.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

capwave wrote:Again, thank all of you for the kind words and prayers. It is going to be so tough to go to the first game this year without him. But I have never been so proud to call myself a Tulane fan.
Cap....because of your story and TD being the man he is...I went on line and purchased an additional 4 season tickets in the "Family Section"... I will make sure they are used every game !!!

Again my thoughts and prayers
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wavemania
Surge

Sorry for your loss, cap. Looks like the other board posted this also. What a great guy TD is. We Tulane fans must enjoy the time we have him, because when a big P5 University wants him, $$$ will take him away.
TURVS71
Swell

My condolences for your loss.....we should always cherish the time with our parents as it is over way too fast....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Houma de Wave
Swell

My sympathies go out to you and yours, capwave.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Wow golfnut that is generous.
I like this thread!
thebiggreenegg
Trickle

Thanks Troy Dannen, what you did meant more to this family than many will understand, maybe more than you realized at the time. You're a class act and you showed how there's so much more to sports than wins and losses. Capwave's a friend. His father Captain Wade was a friend of my parents and more importantly he was a friend of mine. I can say with all sincerity that in my 43 years I haven't met many men like him. Kind hearted and good natured, honest, a true gentleman. He was the kind of man that I looked up to, I saw qualities in him while I matured that made me reflect and want to become a better person. Like many of us he'd cuss and scream when we weren't doing well and he'd be right back the next day ready for more. This went on for 72 years so I'd say he was an eternal optimist. His love for Tulane ran deep, whether it was coaching or recruiting or games he was always talking to his sons and it was a very special bond between them. I think back and he was probably part of the reason I grew up a Tulane fan. It hasn't been easy trying to come to grips with the fact that he isn't with us anymore but I find comfort seeing the legacy he left in his children and grandchildren and know that one day I'll be having a whiskey with him and we'll be watching Tulane win from the good seats. RIP and see you soon.