Start a new poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

What "Grade" do you give Mr. Dannen on his work since coming to Tulane?

A+
23%
A
13%
A-
8%
B+
7%
B
2%
B-
5%
C
8%
D
13%
F
21%

Total votes: 61
Bigschtick
Riptide

dpm wave wrote:Good Grief!!

Whoever wants can hold another poll at the end of football season, another at the end of basketball season, another next summer and another in 3 years.
Grade him according to YOUR criteria in YOUR poll at YOUR determined time frame.

JJ is spot on.

Dannen has performed. He's performed for six/seven months. It's obvious that in a year or 3 or 5 from now that his decisions can be judged based on wins/losses. This poll is NOT about wins/losses. It's about how he's performed at doing what he was hired to do. UGH!

This is simply about the tangible decisions that he has made since he has moved from Iowa.
To state that his decisions so far are "great" but I'll give him a C because Tulane hasn't played a game yet is totally missing the point of the poll.

Exactly!

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:Not really. What the stated purpose of this poll is is not subject to "opinion".
If it's not about opinion, then what in the hell is it about? I thought this was an opinion poll given all of the options. Hell, then why even have any other option than A+? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Not really. What the stated purpose of this poll is is not subject to "opinion".
If it's not about opinion, then what in the hell is it about? I thought this was an opinion poll given all of the options. Hell, then why even have any other option than A+? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Exactly right on BigSteve. Anyone that grades lower than A- gets ridiculed by the few posters that are paying attention closely to this thread. Ludicrous is the word that comes to mind.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:
How you want to vote in this poll is subject to opinion. As I said clearly "the stated purpose of this poll" is not subject to opinion. I don't think or feel or consider that this poll is intended to judge a 6 month body of work, it's an indisputable fact. I don't understand why this has been so hard for everyone to grasp.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
How you want to vote in this poll is subject to opinion. As I said clearly "the stated purpose of this poll" is not subject to opinion. I don't think or feel or consider that this poll is intended to judge a 6 month body of work, it's an indisputable fact. I don't understand why this has been so hard for everyone to grasp.
If the stated purpose of this poll is not subject to opinion, then WTF is its' purpose? A poll with multiple choices asks the participants to select based upon their opinion, in this case of how Troy Dannen is functioning as our AD. You go off on anyone that gives less than an A- grade. Frankly, someone could have the opinion that, since he hasn't gotten us into the Big 12 yet, or scheduled with Notre Dame, that he gets an F. That would be their opinion.

Go to YOGWF if you want to run a thread/poll that only celebrates Troy Dannen. I'm done with this useless thread.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

IDK, though it may be too early for a poll like this, I don't know how anyone could have hoped for more than what TD has done so far.
51WaveBG
High Tide

TD has done the AD job in a very timely and professional manner. He has hired professional coaches, in a timely manner, when the situation required. He didn't waste money hiring a private search firm (spending money that could be used for better purposes). He was on top of each hiring situation and we knew what was going on. He even looks like a professional AD when he appears in public. Only time will tell, but it sure is better than the RD/SC fiasco!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
If the stated purpose of this poll is not subject to opinion, then WTF is its' purpose? A poll with multiple choices asks the participants to select based upon their opinion, in this case of how Troy Dannen is functioning as our AD. You go off on anyone that gives less than an A- grade. Frankly, someone could have the opinion that, since he hasn't gotten us into the Big 12 yet, or scheduled with Notre Dame, that he gets an F. That would be their opinion.

Go to YOGWF if you want to run a thread/poll that only celebrates Troy Dannen. I'm done with this useless thread.
The stated purpose of this poll is: "Grade Troy Dannen on his first 6 months at Tulane"

Is the above sentence a fact or an opinion?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:The stated purpose of this poll is: "Grade Troy Dannen on his first 6 months at Tulane"

Yes, the stated purpose of the poll is a FACT. However, the responses to the poll are OPINION.

JJ - It is your OPINION that he deserves an A.
It is my OPINION that he does not.

Man, now you're arguing for the sake of arguing. This whole forum is the epitome of OPINION.

Roll Wave!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:The stated purpose of this poll is: "Grade Troy Dannen on his first 6 months at Tulane"

Yes, the stated purpose of the poll is a FACT. However, the responses to the poll are OPINION.

JJ - It is your OPINION that he deserves an A.
It is my OPINION that he does not.

Man, now you're arguing for the sake of arguing. This whole forum is the epitome of OPINION.
Steve,

To clarify:

The purpose of the poll, despite being quite clear, has been brought into question by you and others when there should be no question. You can't suggest a grade of "incomplete" for a poll asking for an evaluation of things that have already happened in the past. The 6 month period is completed, as a matter of fact. Such a vote is a complete misunderstanding of the purpose of the poll.

That being said, I have separately noted that given the 6 month period and what there is to be evaluated, I don't see a justification for a grade below an A-. Should you want to disagree with that, you are certainly welcome to that opinion.
Show Me
Tsunami

How's he doing now?
torbida
Surge

considering the damage done by the previous regime, Dannon's done a great job he's accessible (no stupid rap with rick segments that turned out to be a waste of time) he's changing things.I've returned to donating to the greenwave club because I see progress. Willie Fritz will get this turned around it's just a matter of getting the players in here.
Bearwave
High Tide

Really too soon to grade him. I'll give Fritz a gew recruiting classes to rate that hire because of how bad a situation he took over. Barnes has done ok with not a lot. Have to wait and see for his oyher hires. Afraid mens hoops may be in the worst current shape. Let's see what TD can get accomplished with the little budget he has to work with.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
anEngineer
Riptide

I am really concerned that the excitement about Tulane Athletics that was ushered in with the Dannen/Fitz era will quickly fade once the football team gets pounded a few more times by much better conference teams and the basketball team struggles with much of their talent sitting on the bench as transfers. The baseball team doesn't have a catcher; they could struggle as well. It will be easy for remarks about "same ole Tulane" to start creeping in. That brings loss of media attention and even worse ticket sales. While I feel Tulane Athletics is on the right track, it's more faith than evidence. It takes at least 2 years to change public perception of a program. We all hoped this would be year 1, but it looks more like year 0.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I believe an AD is only as good as the coaches he hires. If they win he'll grade out well. If they don't he'll quickly fall out of favor. I remember the praise RD received in his first few years here. There's usually a honeymoon period when a new hire comes aboard. Let's hope this one will last longer than the last one.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I agree 100% - Fritz likely won't field a team capable of beating good teams until 2018 at the earliest given the drop off next year, but no one would reasonably expect someone to come into the Tulane job and be successful in year 1. It's also agreed that likely non-bowl eligibility this year given SMUs and Temples performances - and possibly non-bowl eligibility next year (harder schedule and personnel losses) - will turn off a lot of fans that got exited after the Southern game, but, aside from transfers, there is almost nothing that can be done about that.

The unnerving aspects of the situation is that Tulane's offense may turn off the very recruits it needs to succeed.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:I voted C simply because our win-loss record is still 0-0. Not being negative, and I like everything he's done so far, but so far, it's all been on paper.
It's been a year now. We've been through the debacle of football, and now basketball. Honestly curious of how some of the A graders feel now.
Roll Wave!
sader24
Tsunami

I think Football is ok, probably on a positive track. Basketball looks like a disasterous hire. Baseball was a good hire, but I wanted Cannizaro. The gameday operations in the stadium are horrendous. I'd give him a B minus so far. He needs to figure out basketball in quick fashion. Can't see Dunleavy being the guy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Leaving aside the long list of achievements in a 6 month period, Dannen has made the college athletics world know and believe that Tulane is in it to win it. And if it were that alone, he'd deserve an A+. Bluntly speaking, there were a high percentage of posters here who didn't believe even that Tulane could accomplish as much.
It's hilarious to those of us that argued that 6 months should only result in a grade of incomplete. If we were to grade the 2nd six months of Dannen's tenure, would anyone giving above a C- not be ridiculed? Would an F be out of the question? "Bluntly speaking" what exactly has been accomplished by the Dannen regime?

The point is that his body of work needs to be taken as a whole. The wins and losses were skewered to the wrong side. But what he's done in terms of being an open and honest AD works in his favor. I still think he needs two more years to be graded. I'm happy if we can give him accolades prior to the end of 2018, but right now that Mardi Gras parade we spoke about earlier in this thread would be a 2nd line funeral.

I don't like what I've seen from Coach Dunleavy, either, but let's give him a year with his recruits. Right now other than Embo, he's pretty much playing with Conroy's recruits. I will also allow him a year to learn the college game. I'd also INSIST he hire a top assistant with at least 10+ years of college experience. If it's this bad next year, he's gone. But don't forget Duke fanatics wanted to run off Coach K for the first three or four years of his career at Duke.
dpm wave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:I voted C simply because our win-loss record is still 0-0. Not being negative, and I like everything he's done so far, but so far, it's all been on paper.
It's been a year now. We've been through the debacle of football, and now basketball. Honestly curious of how some of the A graders feel now.
1st grade is over with. Teacher from 2nd grade can't take the report card back and cross out the grade.

Now, what the 2nd grade teacher is SUPPOSED to do is pull out a new report card and put her/his grade on it.

Would the 2nd grade teacher like to start a new poll?
Show Me
Tsunami

My C went to D
I'm going on Wins and Losses in the two major sports.
4-8
3-8
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

instead of grading TD...maybe we should be grading Tulane Universities "I wanna be a player" in Athletics, with the limitations now in place by "tenure".... my grade is an F !!!!

PS...I still think SC and Marge should be investigated for "skimming".....way too many FEMA bucks unaccounted for in my opinion, or at least way too much "paid" for the work that was performed
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

dpm wave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
1st grade is over with. Teacher from 2nd grade can't take the report card back and cross out the grade.

Now, what the 2nd grade teacher is SUPPOSED to do is pull out a new report card and put her/his grade on it.

Would the 2nd grade teacher like to start a new poll?
Thought of that, too lazy.
Roll Wave!
Ruski
Swell

WIllie Fritz, Tulane, 4-8: Tulane hired Fritz after he led Georgia Southern to back-to-back nine-win seasons. So Tulane’s record might sound discouraging, but consider the Green Wave’s past. Tulane went 3-9 in 2014 and 2015 and had only had one winning season since 2002.

Tulane’s 104th recruiting class marks its lowest finish in nine seasons.

Grade: Wait and see
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -2015-2016
Aberzombie1892
Swell

The worst recruiting class in 9 seasons? Geez.