Start a new poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

What "Grade" do you give Mr. Dannen on his work since coming to Tulane?

A+
23%
A
13%
A-
8%
B+
7%
B
2%
B-
5%
C
8%
D
13%
F
21%

Total votes: 61
JerseyWave
Riptide

We need to grade Dannen now after his first full year on the job. I'm giving him a D for Dunleavy Disaster!

Jaxwave
Swell

I'll give him a C based on the dumpster fire he was hired into. I do feel, however, that in order to turn this ocean liner heading for the iceberg around, revolutionary changes are in order like a national recruiting budget so coaches can sell Tulane to football players who value an education and a new basketball arena. Without those kind of splashes, the public will never change their perception that the Tulane administration is not committed to athletics.
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:The worst recruiting class in 9 seasons? Geez.
The results of his major hires so far are making Dickson look brilliant. We've won 8 times in 36 tries in the two major sports. D-
I can't imagine why anyone would stick him with an A+ at this point. He's done nothing new. We are hoping his coaches come through but as of now they haven't.
dpm wave
Swell

dpm wave wrote:I'm not asking about a year from now.
I'm asking about only the past 6 months.
For gd's sake, somebody start a new poll :!: :!:
JerseyWave
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:I'll give him a C based on the dumpster fire he was hired into. I do feel, however, that in order to turn this ocean liner heading for the iceberg around, revolutionary changes are in order like a national recruiting budget so coaches can sell Tulane to football players who value an education and a new basketball arena. Without those kind of splashes, the public will never change their perception that the Tulane administration is not committed to athletics.

I think they have a national recruiting budget. Fritz almost exclusively recruited out of state. He probably spent more this past recruiting season than at anytime in Tulane Football history. Plus, they brought in a ton of kids from out state for visits, so the airfare bill must have been enormous. Tulane probably saved a lot of money with CJ because he did most of his recruiting locally.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote:
No need because you can change your vote at anytime. Need to change the title to: Grade Troy Dannen based on his accomplishments at this point.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

I originally gave him a C.

That seems incredibly generous right now.
Bearwave
High Tide

I gave him a C because it was a wait and see thing and I'll leave it at a C for now. Fritz recruiting class was pretty unimpressive but let's see what he can do in year 2. Dunleavy inherited a Yugo and has turned it into a pedal car. Stockton's team isn't doing well but Volleyball made huge strides this year. We're about to see what the Jewett hire will produce soon enough.
To be fair it's hard to grade him at this point, the programs the new coaches took over were really bad with the exception of Jewett and even baseball isn't that talented overall compared to where we were pre-Katrina.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
Jaxwave
Swell

By national I was referring to going out of the southeast.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote:
+1,000,000
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

On paper, the FB and MBB coaches were great (FB) and good enough (MBB), however, it's unlikely that even the most pessimistic Tulane fan would have predicted how poorly the first seasons would go for those coaches.

If Tulane football doesn't begin the 2017 season with at least a 2-2 record (wins over Army and Grambling - neither of which will be pushovers), the stands will be empty.
Show Me
Tsunami

Who hired this loser?
JerseyWave
Riptide

A little over a year and I give this AD a flat out F!
Show Me
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:A little over a year and I give this AD a flat out F!
Good grade. The board gets an F- for hiring him.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Dayum! Eight days into baseball season and y'all are all like:

Chill TFO already!
God Bless Everyone!
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Dannen will learn real quick if word gets out among the alumni and uptown that he doesn't like baseball and doesn't give support, he'll be ran out of town before he knows what for.
Show Me
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote:Dannen will learn real quick if word gets out among the alumni and uptown that he doesn't like baseball and doesn't give support, he'll be ran out of town before he knows what for.
It's just hard to believe baseball is now over after only 7 games. I believe that beats basketball which ended around 8 games. Of course we all knew football was over before it started.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

F
Show Me
Tsunami

Mandeville Wave wrote:F
Looks like the F's are coming in now.
DrBox
Riptide

This is the only hire that he made that I can call bad right now. But it was real bad, with a program like ours where we really do get a choice of coaches. Now it's how Dannen deals with it....does he do a Dickson and wait 5 years, or does he fix it right after the season?
Otherwise, we'll see on Fritz and Dunleavy. The volleyball coach knows what he's doing. The Stockton extension, without discussions on upping the recruiting, was unnecessary.
Show Me
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:This is the only hire that he made that I can call bad right now. But it was real bad, with a program like ours where we really do get a choice of coaches. Now it's how Dannen deals with it....does he do a Dickson and wait 5 years, or does he fix it right after the season?
Otherwise, we'll see on Fritz and Dunleavy. The volleyball coach knows what he's doing. The Stockton extension, without discussions on upping the recruiting, was unnecessary.
Good to see we finally agree Doc. However Dunleavy has only 5 wins in 28 games. He'll have to recruit to win. I believe Fritz is a solid coach. He'll get it done. Not hiring Riser or Cannizzaro was totally inept.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote:Dannen will learn real quick if word gets out among the alumni and uptown that he doesn't like baseball and doesn't give support, he'll be ran out of town before he knows what for.
Most alumni don't give a rats ass about Tulane Athletics. Fewer care about Tulane Baseball. Yes, there may be quite a few in New Orleans that care (I would be a season ticket holder to Tulane Baseball if/when I live in New Orleans). But in the big picture, I'll bet 90% of Tulane Alumni canNOT name a player on the team.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

DfromCT wrote:
Most alumni don't give a rats ass about Tulane Athletics. Fewer care about Tulane Baseball. Yes, there may be quite a few in New Orleans that care (I would be a season ticket holder to Tulane Baseball if/when I live in New Orleans). But in the big picture, I'll bet 90% of Tulane Alumni can name a player on the team.
And I'll bet 100% of the alumni in uptown can name one player. Mark my words, if it gets out....this guy is gone.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
Most alumni don't give a rats ass about Tulane Athletics. Fewer care about Tulane Baseball. Yes, there may be quite a few in New Orleans that care (I would be a season ticket holder to Tulane Baseball if/when I live in New Orleans). But in the big picture, I'll bet 90% of Tulane Alumni can name a player on the team.
Dave I'd have to disagree on caring about TU Baseball or at least they did at one time. Rick Jones picked up the phone and raised millions in a short amount of time for the new stadium.
Unfortunately Tulane has now taken a different direction and decided not to hire from it's quality alumni base so you could be right about the future. I know a bunch of former baseball donors that have pulled back because of this.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

I'm shocked how quickly people are turning on Dannen. The guy inherited a dumpster fire. Tulane is a laughing stock and he still made splash hires in all 3 sports. Whether or not they turn out to be successful, we pulled in coaches that would have never considered Tulane under the Cowdick regime. Let's give this some time before we start asking for a new AD.