Start a new poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

What "Grade" do you give Mr. Dannen on his work since coming to Tulane?

A+
23%
A
13%
A-
8%
B+
7%
B
2%
B-
5%
C
8%
D
13%
F
21%

Total votes: 61
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:I think grading TD on his coaching decisions is tough at this point as he's appeared to be doing a lot of things right but they haven't panned out as hoped or expected. If you look at what he's done in the three majors it's hard to find a lot of fault in his logic. But I believe he'll have some tougher decisions around his own hires upcoming and what he does with those, IMO, will be the best indicator of whether TD can lead our athletic department to success or not.

In the 3 major sports:

Fired CJ - seemed to be a no brainer but most here know you can't take firing of coaches for granted here.

Hired WF - considering the state of our program appeared to get a guy that wasn't just someone we settled on. So TD gets some credit here selling the program. This isn't to say all will agree WF has done a good job so far, but the hire appeared solid.

Fired EC - thank goodness. Maybe the leak stained the action a bit but again good to see that being at or near the bottom of the conference will get you fired.

Hired MD - definitely a different approach to trying to resurrect the program but I thought it could work. Hoops can be turned around with one good recruiting class so his name, NBA experience, reputation, etc seemed like a great way to get talent in to compete immediately. We may not all agree with the job MD has done, but again seemed like a solid hire.

Hired TJ - no doubt the one hire where many/most wanted AC, but TJs resume as an assistant on a top tier program and reputation as a great recruiter appeared to be an indicator that he could lead a successful program. In retrospect this has been a terrible hire considering the combination of what could have been with what we have now. This makes this hire much different than football and basketball.

So I have different opinions on whether TDs selection was sound vs whether his selection is working out. Of course much of the success of a coach is dependent on the support of the school which. we know falls on the AD department as well. So maybe these guys aren't successful because of TDs department? That's hard to quantify but I feel like you can glean quite a bit based on just x's and o's, recruiting ability/strategy, etc. So TDs evaluation of the current coaches and upcoming actions are the most important right now.

In football it is expected that a program needs several years to turn around and while I detest WFs offense and disagree with much of his game calling (probably the two are linked) his recent recruiting class gives some hope that he'll have athletes to be a winner in conference. But any contract extension is still based on more hope than results, IMO.

In basketball honestly I've seen enough to know what we're going to get. MD is not a good college coach. Kudos for improving a few players. I'll enjoy watching the NBA draft for the first time. But I'd rather enjoy watching the team win. It will be interesting and important to see what TD does when we are a bottom feeder once again next year.

I'm not as close to the baseball program but all indications from the results and the die hards here is that TJ isn't getting the job done. And while most have moved past (or say they have) the passing up of AC, the results on the field say this was a bad hire.

So based on 2 seasons: 2 bad hires and 1 "still waiting to see" hire. Typically that would mean your AD is failing. But I wouldn't give him a failing grade yet. I believe he made 2 good decisions on coaches to try to resurrect programs and 1 ok (not good) decision on trying sustain some baseball success. If he can't or won't pull the trigger on more change to fix those coaching mistakes then he would have failed.
CJ was fired by Rick Dickson before Dannen was even hired here. Tulane administration wanted a clean slate for the next AD to hire his own coach.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ch_cu.html

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

netshorty wrote:I think grading TD on his coaching decisions is tough at this point as he's appeared to be doing a lot of things right but they haven't panned out as hoped or expected. If you look at what he's done in the three majors it's hard to find a lot of fault in his logic. But I believe he'll have some tougher decisions around his own hires upcoming and what he does with those, IMO, will be the best indicator of whether TD can lead our athletic department to success or not.

In the 3 major sports:

Fired CJ - seemed to be a no brainer but most here know you can't take firing of coaches for granted here.

Hired WF - considering the state of our program appeared to get a guy that wasn't just someone we settled on. So TD gets some credit here selling the program. This isn't to say all will agree WF has done a good job so far, but the hire appeared solid.

Fired EC - thank goodness. Maybe the leak stained the action a bit but again good to see that being at or near the bottom of the conference will get you fired.

Hired MD - definitely a different approach to trying to resurrect the program but I thought it could work. Hoops can be turned around with one good recruiting class so his name, NBA experience, reputation, etc seemed like a great way to get talent in to compete immediately. We may not all agree with the job MD has done, but again seemed like a solid hire.

Hired TJ - no doubt the one hire where many/most wanted AC, but TJs resume as an assistant on a top tier program and reputation as a great recruiter appeared to be an indicator that he could lead a successful program. In retrospect this has been a terrible hire considering the combination of what could have been with what we have now. This makes this hire much different than football and basketball.

So I have different opinions on whether TDs selection was sound vs whether his selection is working out. Of course much of the success of a coach is dependent on the support of the school which. we know falls on the AD department as well. So maybe these guys aren't successful because of TDs department? That's hard to quantify but I feel like you can glean quite a bit based on just x's and o's, recruiting ability/strategy, etc. So TDs evaluation of the current coaches and upcoming actions are the most important right now.

In football it is expected that a program needs several years to turn around and while I detest WFs offense and disagree with much of his game calling (probably the two are linked) his recent recruiting class gives some hope that he'll have athletes to be a winner in conference. But any contract extension is still based on more hope than results, IMO.

In basketball honestly I've seen enough to know what we're going to get. MD is not a good college coach. Kudos for improving a few players. I'll enjoy watching the NBA draft for the first time. But I'd rather enjoy watching the team win. It will be interesting and important to see what TD does when we are a bottom feeder once again next year.

I'm not as close to the baseball program but all indications from the results and the die hards here is that TJ isn't getting the job done. And while most have moved past (or say they have) the passing up of AC, the results on the field say this was a bad hire.

So based on 2 seasons: 2 bad hires and 1 "still waiting to see" hire. Typically that would mean your AD is failing. But I wouldn't give him a failing grade yet. I believe he made 2 good decisions on coaches to try to resurrect programs and 1 ok (not good) decision on trying sustain some baseball success. If he can't or won't pull the trigger on more change to fix those coaching mistakes then he would have failed.
So true. How quick will TD be able to recognize a hiring mistake and address it will be the next iteration of what kind of AD he will be at Tulane. I wish we had better records of late, but I also recognize the massive damage done to the athletic program in particular, and the university in general, during the 18 years of Cowen's tyranny. I don't think there is an AD or coach on the planet that could undo that kind of damage in a year or two. I still think WF will prove to be a very successful football coach at Tulane. The jury is still out on MD. MD is clearly stuck with NBA mentality, even though college basketball is a very different game. With MD it will be a race; between his ability to bring in super talent that can win with his NBA style of play vs how fast the losses mount over the next two years. And as far as TJ--help!!! I have little hope for any coach that focuses on how his players wear their pants and socks. Tulane baseball already has enough hurdles to overcome--fashion shouldn't be one of them.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

I can't help but feel good about football: Good coach (WF) + good players (2018 class ranked no. 67, 3rd in AAC) = Winning football.
WF needs to string together a couple of more good recruiting classes like for 2018, but I am confident he will.

So, I believe the Fitts-Dannen-Hertz-Manning choice of WF was a good one.
Show Me
Tsunami

Time for a re-evaluation.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Show Me wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:42 pm Time for a re-evaluation.
Yes it is
msdos
Swell

I changed my C to an F.

You guys who scored A’s wtf were you thinking?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

'F" is way too good for these job performances
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

I didn’t think it was possible to do worse than Rick Dickson, but Dannen is worse. All his hires are failures. He’s done nothing in three years except bring back Angry Wave. He better with gimmicks than Rick Dickson. FCS AD, FCS Football Coach, FCS coaching staff.
JerseyWave
Riptide

What was the woman’s name that Dannen got the job over? Barbara Burke’s? Clearly she would have done better than this. Couldn’t have done any worse.
Dave breslin
Swell

I’ll give him a grade of G. God awful. I thought ANYONE could do better than Dickheadson. At least Dannen has not “said” anything to piss off or demean the fans. But the final resuts(the play on the field) is God awful. That’s why he gets a G grade
torbida
Surge

Dannen's actions are pissing off fans I know Im done and Monday Im cancelli g wave club membership.Not throwing money/time away no more
DrBox
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:00 pm What was the woman’s name that Dannen got the job over? Barbara Burke’s? Clearly she would have done better than this. Couldn’t have done any worse.
Burke knows how to hire coaches. She hired Pierce and located the current volleyball coach for Dannen to officially hire. Dannen outsmarted himself in baseball (Latham may really help this program, however). He's got a Momic coaching women's golf and doesn't seem to notice or care.
And he appears under the spell of Lisa "sit on the beach" Stockton as he already gave her one unearned extension. I doubt Burke would put up with that.
I don't know how she would have done with fundraising, but TU hasn't had a real fundraiser AD since White.
Show Me
Tsunami

F on his coaching hires alone.
Some other failures:
Zero fund raising skills
Seat License Scam
Coach extended after 2nd straight losing season.
Dannen gets an F for Football alone
Dannen gets an A for Angry Wave
Baseball and basketball have been failures as well.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Fun fact: If Tulane football wins 2 of their remaining 5 games (nowhere near a sure bet), the football program will have won the same number of games in three years under Dannen as it did during the final three year period of the Dickson era. I don't think I need to remind everyone that morale was so bad that a number of us pooled our resources and rented an airplane with a 'Fire Dickson' banner for the homecoming game.

If the basketball season ends as I fear that it will, I will revise my grade for Troy Dannen to failing. If the bball season is disastrously bad, I may be willing to consider hiring a drone to fly a small banner about the Devlin fieldhouse.

"Sleeping giant!" Mr Dannen was only half right when he made that statement to the press during his post-hire introductory remarks.
netshorty
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:19 pm Fun fact: If Tulane football wins 2 of their remaining 5 games (nowhere near a sure bet), the football program will have won the same number of games in three years under Dannen as it did during the final three year period of the Dickson era. I don't think I need to remind everyone that morale was so bad that a number of us pooled our resources and rented an airplane with a 'Fire Dickson' banner for the homecoming game.

If the basketball season ends as I fear that it will, I will revise my grade for Troy Dannen to failing. If the bball season is disastrously bad, I may be willing to consider hiring a drone to fly a small banner about the Devlin fieldhouse.

"Sleeping giant!" Mr Dannen was only half right when he made that statement to the press during his post-hire introductory remarks.
Fun Fact #2:
Hoops has to win 24 games this year to match the 3-year win total of last 3 years of Dickson/Conroy era.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:03 pm This one is 2 years old and totally inapplicable
Yes it’s 2 years old but actually it’s a running poll. You can change your vote at anytime.
However many voters may not know that or may not be around to change their vote.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:15 am
dpm wave wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:03 pm This one is 2 years old and totally inapplicable
Yes it’s 2 years old but actually it’s a running poll. You can change your vote at anytime.
However many voters may not know that or may not be around to change their vote.
Or he could just create a new poll in a new thread.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:15 am
Or he could just create a new poll in a new thread.
Yea that too! :lol:
And we only need A B C D F ;)
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's a lot to be said about Troy both positive and negative. I'm not happy with the results in our top four sports (Football, Mens basketball, Women's basketball and Baseball) but at the same time, I've never felt that Troy doesn't care about Tulane Athletes or fans. Although I was an outspoken critic of Rick Dickson, I have to say his finest moments came when Cowen initiated the Review, when Katrina hit and when Devon Walker was critically injured.

Dannen should get a lot of credit for raising money for Devon Walker's foundation. Let's make this happen!

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1 ... lenge.aspx

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dannen went ahead with the promotion for Devon Walker. I made my donation, y'all should step up to the point that you can as well.

https://greenwave.exposure.co/painting-for-a-cause
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

I bet the rating goes down on a new poll. I believe people can change their vote.
dpm wave
Swell

:lol:

You lazy MFer's.

5 years and not one of you have the energy to start your own poll.

Or, is everybody else too stupid to figure out how to do it?

HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:16 pm I bet the rating goes down on a new poll. I believe people can change their vote.
No doubt Dannen would fare far worse in an updated poll. I'm surprised by the large number of "F"s back in 2018--before it became evident that he's a smooth talker who does little of substance.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:12 am
Show Me wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:16 pm I bet the rating goes down on a new poll. I believe people can change their vote.
No doubt Dannen would fare far worse in an updated poll. I'm surprised by the large number of "F"s back in 2018--before it became evident that he's a smooth talker who does little of substance.
Right. Even Dickson raised money. Dannen hasn’t raised a dime of substance. I don’t get it. The bar at Tulane is so low. Everyone collecting a check at the expense of season ticket holders and donors. Nobody accountable. It’s a lifetime job if you stay clean.
Dannen out interviewing for a new job on every opportunity.