Start a new poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

What "Grade" do you give Mr. Dannen on his work since coming to Tulane?

A+
23%
A
13%
A-
8%
B+
7%
B
2%
B-
5%
C
8%
D
13%
F
21%

Total votes: 61
Jaxwave
Swell

The reason why Tulane ADs have trouble with hires is the extremely small pool of candidates willing to take over at a place where the will to invest in athletic resources is is non existent. Word is Tulane alums Cannizaro and Riser were unwilling to come without additional resources.
We are getting the bottom of the barrel, guys who are applying to get a higher salary than the situation they are presently in, I.e., small schools, unemployed, or older long time asst. with no other options as HC. Heck, that even applies to our AD who wasn't in great demand.
I ask one question, if you had aspirations as a young football or basketball coach, would you take a job at perhaps the worst athletic program in the country who has shown no willingness to invest resources to just compete much less win.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:The reason why Tulane ADs have trouble with hires is the extremely small pool of candidates willing to take over at a place where the will to invest in athletic resources is is non existent. Word is Tulane alums Cannizaro and Riser were unwilling to come without additional resources.
We are getting the bottom of the barrel, guys who are applying to get a higher salary than the situation they are presently in, I.e., small schools, unemployed, or older long time asst. with no other options as HC. Heck, that even applies to our AD who wasn't in great demand.
I ask one question, if you had aspirations as a young football or basketball coach, would you take a job at perhaps the worst athletic program in the country who has shown no willingness to invest resources to just compete much less win.
All of that is completely valid, but Tulane doesn't have the money to invest in athletics. Assuming no changes in terms of alumni giving or university structure, the only way that Tulane could invest in athletics in that manner is by rerouting funds from academics to athletics (which is partially the case now), and doing that would cause the quality of academics to fall further than they already have. Oddly enough, Tulane would likely have been better off having elite athletics and then built academics on top of that instead of vice versa (i.e. UAlabama w/MBA #54 and Law #26 at US News v. Tulane w/MBA #73 and Law #51).
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:The reason why Tulane ADs have trouble with hires is the extremely small pool of candidates willing to take over at a place where the will to invest in athletic resources is is non existent. Word is Tulane alums Cannizaro and Riser were unwilling to come without additional resources.
All of that is completely valid, but Tulane doesn't have the money to invest in athletics. Assuming no changes in terms of alumni giving or university structure, the only way that Tulane could invest in athletics in that manner is by rerouting funds from academics to athletics (which is partially the case now), and doing that would cause the quality of academics to fall further than they already have. Oddly enough, Tulane would likely have been better off having elite athletics and then built academics on top of that instead of vice versa (i.e. UAlabama w/MBA #54 and Law #26 at US News v. Tulane w/MBA #73 and Law #51).
SMU, Houston, UConn and Cinci have each dumped literally 100's of millions in athletics, do they have the money. Athletics has made academics much better at places like Bama, BC and Duke. What you can't do, IMO, is go halfway like Tulane. BC first had a bump in academics when they went to the ACC then got lazy (Tulane style) and now it is hurting them.

Let's the big issue right now. We dumped $100mm in new assets and all that did was help to reduce the gap (it did not close it, not even close) between us and the rest of the group salivating for a P5 invite. It seems like this may have a bad ending.
localvb
High Tide

JerseyWave wrote:
localvb wrote:If you thought it would all be turned around in 1 year you have no idea about college sports. Some of you that have complelty turned on Tulane and the new admin/coaches need a reality check. And what's also sad is some (like JerseyWave) talk only about the negative and don't even mention the great turn around in the volleyball program. The reality is it usually doesn't happen in 1 year. I've said it before but Coach Barnes is a exceptional coach and had some pieces at Tulane to make a great impact in 1 year. The other coaches are very good as well but just need some time because of the circumstances they are facing.

If your're going to give an evaluation/grade on 1 year you can't leave out the good stuff!!
Yes, Coach Barnes is by far the most successful of Dannen's hires after one year, but if that's the only positive then Tulane's athletic department will soon die. Get a clue vb! Football and Basketballl have to succeed! How much revenue has the women's volleyball program generated?
Every body on the planet knows football has to succeed. My point is if your evaluating the first year you can't just complian and point out your unrealistic negative observations. Include the positive. And try to be realistic about the other new programs needing a little time.
Also, I agree Fitts has to go all in and give Dannen the tools to be the best in the AAC. He has started to do that and the results will come. Hopefully he continues to support Athletics in a big way.
localvb
High Tide

Burke did not hire Barnes. He has said publicly multiple times meeting Dannen sealed the deal. He respects the great job he did at UNI and thinks he's the man to do it here at Tulane.
netshorty
Surge

I think EVERYONE would agree that the hoops and football programs could not be turned around in year 1. I think EVERYONE would agree that our baseball program should not have seen a drastic drop off in year 1. But what is evident is that some do not care to grade progress (or lack thereof) after one year, basically giving a free pass with no accountability, while others are trying to figure out if there are signs that we have the right coach in place to turn around the program. All of us HOPED for more. But at the end of the day the following is TRUE:

1. Football - WF guided the team to 1 conference win in 2016. The same as the 2015 team that was under the direction of the worst college football head coach ever (this is barely debatable). So are we better off than being under CJ? Poll results would probably say 110% yes. But does that mean we're on our way toward competing in the AAC? No way that can be answered. Those that give WF a pass will point to the challenges at QB and offensive line and offer up that these are not his players. Valid reasons to a degree. Those that felt 2017 was a year to prove we're headed in the right direction are nervous by the fact that the things that were supposed to be WF strenghts (he was ST coach, his offense was imaginative, he can coach-up kids, he can fit his system to existing personnel, etc.) were not strengths of this first year team. Some would argue they were actually weaknesses. Were the obstacles too big to overcome? Possibly. But it was a failed year in terms of giving us any kind of confidence that we're "on our way."

2. Basketball - MD guided this team to the worst record since the year we came back from the death penalty. Those willing to give him a pass will point to lack of size, depleted talent and short amount of time to recruit. Throw in his need to "learn the college game." No doubt Osetkowski was a loss but Dabney was much less so. Those that hoped 2017 would be a year that proved we're headed in the right direction should be more than nervous. This is not a team that looked well coached. Defensively, they were as poorly coached as I've seen a team. Offensively they were careless with the ball. Those are two areas where the talent gap between teams can be narrowed. There is nothing from this season that points to the program being on the right track. Nothing. There are many more questions that now exist than questions that were answered. That's not a good thing. There's hope, but that's all it is at this point, blind hope. And maybe less hope than when he took the job.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Utter BS. We had some pretty damned good candidates and made poor selections.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:

Toledo and CJ were bottom of the barrel hires, but no way can anyone say that about Willie Fritz. He was as qualified a hire as anyone could expect for Tulane with or without the financial resources. On paper he was a fantastic hire. He still has to get his act together in the recruiting department. Dunleavy needed Tulane more than Tulane needed him and I think Dannen was a little star struck when he hired Dunleavy. It remains to be seen if this was a good hire. Jewett is a disaster. The longer Dannen waits he's just putting off the inevitable.
JerseyWave
Riptide

localvb wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
localvb wrote:If you thought it would all be turned around in 1 year you have no idea about college sports. Some of you that have complelty turned on Tulane and the new admin/coaches need a reality check. And what's also sad is some (like JerseyWave) talk only about the negative and don't even mention the great turn around in the volleyball program. The reality is it usually doesn't happen in 1 year. I've said it before but Coach Barnes is a exceptional coach and had some pieces at Tulane to make a great impact in 1 year. The other coaches are very good as well but just need some time because of the circumstances they are facing.

If your're going to give an evaluation/grade on 1 year you can't leave out the good stuff!!
Yes, Coach Barnes is by far the most successful of Dannen's hires after one year, but if that's the only positive then Tulane's athletic department will soon die. Get a clue vb! Football and Basketballl have to succeed! How much revenue has the women's volleyball program generated?
Every body on the planet knows football has to succeed. My point is if your evaluating the first year you can't just complian and point out your unrealistic negative observations. Include the positive. And try to be realistic about the other new programs needing a little time.
Also, I agree Fitts has to go all in and give Dannen the tools to be the best in the AAC. He has started to do that and the results will come. Hopefully he continues to support Athletics in a big way.
Football 4-8 and just had a recruiting class ranked #109
Basketball Won six games playing in an empty gym.
Baseball is on its way to the worst season in the program's history.

Give the positive.
Jaxwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:

Who were they in football and basketball and did the candidates pull out after interviewing.
localvb
High Tide

JerseyWave wrote:

Give the positive.
Positive:
4 head coaches and a new AD were hired all last spring semester. The VB program was the most improved team in the nation and won LA POY, COY and team of the year. Tulane hired a proven winner in football, an NBA coach of the year and one of the most sought after baseball coaches in the country. The new AD was very successful, innovative and considered an outstanding AD by his peers. With a new commitment to athletics by the new president Tulane is on its way to a winning department. This is just the beginning. I know some alumni are easily untrusting. It's going to happen. Even if you don't see the signs you want to see right now.

Your other choice is to kick and scream and become a cancer to coaches and players who are giving their all to make it happen. Just try being a supportive fan. It's not life or death.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Who were they in football and basketball and did the candidates pull out after interviewing.
Tim Floyd and Dino Babers
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

localvb wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:

Give the positive.
Positive:
4 head coaches and a new AD were hired all last spring semester. The VB program was the most improved team in the nation and won LA POY, COY and team of the year. Tulane hired a proven winner in football, an NBA coach of the year and one of the most sought after baseball coaches in the country. The new AD was very successful, innovative and considered an outstanding AD by his peers. With a new commitment to athletics by the new president Tulane is on its way to a winning department. This is just the beginning. I know some alumni are easily untrusting. It's going to happen. Even if you don't see the signs you want to see right now.

Your other choice is to kick and scream and become a cancer to coaches and players who are giving their all to make it happen. Just try being a supportive fan. It's not life or death.
local, unfortunately your positives have one tangible result (volleyball) and the rest are based on hope and trust. With every new hire comes trust and hope. And I agree, I think the resume's of the guys we have are seemingly better than the previous debacles. I didn't have an objection to any when hired. But at some point trust and hope have to be replaced with results. Not overnight success, but PROGRESS. A coach absolutely can and should be judged by results from year 1. The benchmark to judge against must be realistic and not just based on wins/losses, but you have to measure if you're getting closer to the goal of being able to compete for a title in the AAC.

Your example of Barnes is a great one. He took a really bad team and showed not only progress but an instant turnaround in the program. While that same success measuring stick would be nice for football and basketball, that's not what most here were hoping or expecting to see in year 1. We just want to see progress and signs that we're on track to become competitive in the AAC.

I believe WF came up a little short of expectations in Year 1. I know that Dunleavy came up way short. Jewett has fallen off the cliff in terms of expectations. So those that are untrusting have both the historical aspect of Tulane athletics always providing us with hope and some first year results from these three programs that are not trending well. And I really don't believe those of us that don't have as much trust or hope as you are a cancer to the coaches or players.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

localvb wrote:Positive:

Welcome to the board JtS.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
localvb
High Tide

netshorty wrote:
localvb wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:

Give the positive.
Positive:

local, unfortunately your positives have one tangible result (volleyball) and the rest are based on hope and trust. With every new hire comes trust and hope. And I agree, I think the resume's of the guys we have are seemingly better than the previous debacles. I didn't have an objection to any when hired. But at some point trust and hope have to be replaced with results. Not overnight success, but PROGRESS. A coach absolutely can and should be judged by results from year 1. The benchmark to judge against must be realistic and not just based on wins/losses, but you have to measure if you're getting closer to the goal of being able to compete for a title in the AAC.

Your example of Barnes is a great one. He took a really bad team and showed not only progress but an instant turnaround in the program. While that same success measuring stick would be nice for football and basketball, that's not what most here were hoping or expecting to see in year 1. We just want to see progress and signs that we're on track to become competitive in the AAC.

I believe WF came up a little short of expectations in Year 1. I know that Dunleavy came up way short. Jewett has fallen off the cliff in terms of expectations. So those that are untrusting have both the historical aspect of Tulane athletics always providing us with hope and some first year results from these three programs that are not trending well. And I really don't believe those of us that don't have as much trust or hope as you are a cancer to the coaches or players.
Very good points and well stated.

Consider this. Potential recruits and parents read this site from almost every sport. Especially the blue chip recruits.
This type of talk after just 1 season has an impact.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Localvb I see where you are coming from on certain points but that is BS about recruits. First off if they are that weak minded as to be disuaded by what's said on a fan forum then they weren't that committed and won't cut it at this level anyway. Lastly these boards exist for three reasons: celebration, information and venting. As we all know we have been provided very little of the first two and thus left with a lot to vent about.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I have a bit of a different take on this. We celebrate this board for offering the luxury of uncensored criticism of Tulane athletics. Heaven knows that I have participated in my share of character assassination. However, let a fan such as localvb bring the opposite (unbridled optimism) and he is accused of being a yoggie snowflake.

I have no idea if recruits or their parents read this tripe. I suspect that a few do. Nevertheless I doubt if any young minds have been changed as a result of insight offered by NawlinsPete or JJ.

Some of us look for solace by aggressively venting. Others find hope by insisting there must be a pony amongst all the horse droppings. Nothing wrong with either perspective until one is confronted with overwhelming evidence. Then we rent another airplane banner.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:Localvb I see where you are coming from on certain points but that is BS about recruits. First off if they are that weak minded as to be disuaded by what's said on a fan forum then they weren't that committed and won't cut it at this level anyway. Lastly these boards exist for three reasons: celebration, information and venting. As we all know we have been provided very little of the first two and thus left with a lot to vent about.
I agree with Winwave on this, as it's unlikely that this forum will have much of an impact - if any - on the decisions of potential recruits.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:Localvb I see where you are coming from on certain points but that is BS about recruits. First off if they are that weak minded as to be disuaded by what's said on a fan forum then they weren't that committed and won't cut it at this level anyway. Lastly these boards exist for three reasons: celebration, information and venting. As we all know we have been provided very little of the first two and thus left with a lot to vent about.
I agree with Winwave on this, as it's unlikely that this forum will have much of an impact - if any - on the decisions of potential recruits.
That's the mentality of the Censorship Forum. No criticism of a Coach or Administrator is allowed because it could hurt recruiting. Nothing negative is allowed. NEWS FLASH: Tulane's recruiting can't get much worse than it already is. The fact is every fan base has forums like this on the internet and they're a lot more vicious and negative than this forum. The whole "We don't judge by wins and losses" mentality has allowed Tulane Athletics to sink to new depths under Cowen/Dickson without any accountability. This forum holds the professionals on Tulane's payroll accountable.
dpm wave
Swell

localvb wrote:Consider this. Potential recruits and parents read this site from almost every sport. Especially the blue chip recruits.
This type of talk after just 1 season has an impact.
RIGHT!! And, Obama tapped Trumps' phones.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

netshorty wrote:
localvb wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:

Give the positive.
Positive:

I think localvb's post is on point in many ways. Like it or not, FBall and Bball were rebuilds and you have to have patience, if in three years there is no progress than have at it. Both coaches, in Bball and Fball, failed to address the most glaring needs (bigs and QB) but those are the toughest areas to recruit and presumably both coaches have addressed those issues (hopefully).

As far as VBall, it is largely meaningless so I won't even comment. The key here is baseball, which has always been a foundation to give some degree of enjoyment to diehards, the failure is testing the patience that FBall and Bball (may perhaps, should) deserve.

As for baseball, I am struggling to find the reasons for this as college baseball is about development and the team has 3 solid starters on the mound and 6 solid hitter/defenders.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Jewett has fallen off the cliff in terms of expectations.

As for baseball, I am struggling to find the reasons for this as college baseball is about development and the team has 3 solid starters on the mound and 6 solid hitter/defenders.
At this point it's the worst baseball record since 1962 and that's the SEC days 55 years ago!
netshorty
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote:Like it or not, FBall and Bball were rebuilds and you have to have patience, if in three years there is no progress than have at it.
That's probably par for the course at most universities, 3 years to turn it around, hell it's a lot shorter than we typically give.

What I was hoping to determine during these first seasons under our new coaches is whether we are two years away from starting this "3 years to turn it around" business again. That's why it's important to see progress. Both WF and MD wasted their first years for showing progress, IMO. Does that mean I say fire them now, no way. Give them a couple of recruiting classes and see if win/loss results improve. But it does worry me that we're not only in for some subpar seasons but also on our way to looking for yet another solution at head coach.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree w/your take on thinking we should have seen more on the field of play to give us hope that these are the right guys to turn football and basketball around. The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is that despite the vast amount of losing the players clearly did not quit on them. In football we played our best game at the end. it was against UCONN but we executed and looked sharp. In basketball we certainly played more competitive in the last month. And these weren't even their so called players. So the hope is that the saying that you usually see the most progress in year 2 comes true for us. Otherwise things will be bleaker than ever.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:I agree w/your take on thinking we should have seen more on the field of play to give us hope that these are the right guys to turn football and basketball around. The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is that despite the vast amount of losing the players clearly did not quit on them. In football we played our best game at the end. it was against UCONN but we executed and looked sharp. In basketball we certainly played more competitive in the last month. And these weren't even their so called players. So the hope is that the saying that you usually see the most progress in year 2 comes true for us. Otherwise things will be bleaker than ever.
Hello darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk to you again.... I really do have a lot of optimism for year 2 in football under WF and can't wait for some more reports from springball and camp!