Start a new poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

What "Grade" do you give Mr. Dannen on his work since coming to Tulane?

A+
23%
A
13%
A-
8%
B+
7%
B
2%
B-
5%
C
8%
D
13%
F
21%

Total votes: 61
Profoundwizard
Swell

greenphantom wrote:I'm shocked how quickly people are turning on Dannen. The guy inherited a dumpster fire. Tulane is a laughing stock and he still made splash hires in all 3 sports. Whether or not they turn out to be successful, we pulled in coaches that would have never considered Tulane under the Cowdick regime. Let's give this some time before we start asking for a new AD.
3 Splash hires? What's your definition of a splash hire? I really like the Fritz hire. But it Doesn't seem to be a splash hire in my view. I wasn't crazy about the Dunleavy hire but it did qualify as a splash in my book.
Jewett also not really a splash hire either.

Not asking for a new AD, asking for him to fix his fuckups at the years end. Pretty simple.

GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Most alumni don't give a rats ass about Tulane Athletics.
A funny quote I read recently states that for most universities, this is what's important: for students it's sex; for faculty it's parking; and for alumni it's athletics.

In any case, this was my first year with baseball season tickets. If the entire season plays out in similar fashion, it will probably be my last.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
greenphantom wrote:I'm shocked how quickly people are turning on Dannen. The guy inherited a dumpster fire. Tulane is a laughing stock and he still made splash hires in all 3 sports. Whether or not they turn out to be successful, we pulled in coaches that would have never considered Tulane under the Cowdick regime. Let's give this some time before we start asking for a new AD.
3 Splash hires? What's your definition of a splash hire? I really like the Fritz hire. But it Doesn't seem to be a splash hire in my view. I wasn't crazy about the Dunleavy hire but it did qualify as a splash in my book.

Not asking for a new AD, asking for him to fix his fuckups at the years end. Pretty simple.
Depends on the object causing "the splash"
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:

Meaning all 3 were high profile candidates. Doesn't necessarily mean they will turn into great hires, but at the time all 3 were well respected in their profession. A lot different than the days of hiring on the cheap.
alumniwave
Low Tide

If anyone AD makes decisions after 1 season they don't stay an AD long. People who truly understand college sports understand it takes 3-4 years to really get an evaluation.
Take a breath Green Wave fans.
tnelly15
Riptide

alumniwave wrote:If anyone AD makes decisions after 1 season they don't stay an AD long. People who truly understand college sports understand it takes 3-4 years to really get an evaluation.
Take a breath Green Wave fans.
Wrong. If a guy takes over a good program with a lot returning from a conference championship team and he turns it into a shitshow in year 1, he doesn't get 3 years.
sader24
Tsunami

I liked the Fritz hire and still have a positive outlook on it. The offensive scheme or lack thereof was and is a little worrisome. I hope that a QB changes that drastically. Recruiting worries me and the ability to recruit to that scheme and the ability of this staff to recruit. I think he's a solid coach who could get us to a consistent 6-7 win area, his ceiling may be in that neighborhood though. I didnt understand the basketball hire at all and still don't. Older guy who never coached college and was not nearly as respected as a NBA coach as some make him out to be. However, while some may not want to hear it, our facility will prevent us from attracting alot of coaches as well as the issues surrounding getting kids into school and keeping them elgible so I see why he had to be creative making that hire. On paper the Baseball hire was likely his best one, but when you put it into context and know that Cannizaro was sitting there wanting this job it seems like his worst. I believe Jewett is very likely a good coach. I think in time he will win especially if he recruits as well as everyone says he does. I think the culture changes he is making will probably end up being a positive thing in the long run, but I have heard and keep hearing things that give me alot of pause. I think it is pretty clear he has come in with little desire to continue Pierce's program and a strong desire to implement his own which I understand. However, good coaches win with good players no matter what. The stuff I hear about the lack of practice and live pitching seems odd, and baseball isn't necessarily a sport like football and basketball where over disciplining a team and nitpicking foolish stuff lends itself to success. We'll see, I wouldn't call for the guys head just yet, but it is upsetting that Cannizaro was there and it is upsetting just how bad his coaching hires have performed so far. Hopefully its just a case of breaking down old inferior ways of doing things and building it back up the right way. Next year should be very telling.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Take deep breaths and exhale; there is no way the Cow/Dick messes could be turned around in one season. Like it or not all of these coaches DESERVE at least four seasons of their own recruiting and coaching. Period.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:Dannen will learn real quick if word gets out among the alumni and uptown that he doesn't like baseball and doesn't give support, he'll be ran out of town before he knows what for.
Most alumni don't give a rats ass about Tulane Athletics. Fewer care about Tulane Baseball. Yes, there may be quite a few in New Orleans that care (I would be a season ticket holder to Tulane Baseball if/when I live in New Orleans). But in the big picture, I'll bet 90% of Tulane Alumni canNOT name a player on the team.
And I'll bet 100% of the alumni in uptown can name one player. Mark my words, if it gets out....this guy is gone.
100%???

REALLY???

Don't you think there's at least a few that have NEVER been to a Tulane athletic event? I'd bet $100 to your $10 I can find a bunch that don't give a crap about anything to do with athletics and cannot even tell you who our coach is in any sport. Student apathy towards athletics is high at Tulane. That doesn't change, it actually increases when they become alumni. If you get 3500 at a Tulane baseball game, that's probably less than 10% of the alumni living in the greater New Orleans area. Your 100% prediction is ludicrous. You could have Tulane versus LSU in a Super Regional on campus and (if classes were going on, but they are not) at least 60-75% of the students would be in their dorm rooms or out in the city doing anything other than even thinking about Tulane baseball.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:Take deep breaths and exhale; there is no way the Cow/Dick messes could be turned around in one season. Like it or not all of these coaches DESERVE at least four seasons of their own recruiting and coaching. Period.
No. If Jewitt wins 5 games he does not get 4 years. If Dunleavy wins 5 games he does not get 4 years. If Fritz wins 5 games he does not get 4 years. Dannen now on the clock. SO far his hires record are worst than Dickson.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Dannen appears to be enjoying Mardi Gras too much to have any clue that his Athletic Department is failing.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

nawlinspete wrote:Take deep breaths and exhale; there is no way the Cow/Dick messes could be turned around in one season. Like it or not all of these coaches DESERVE at least four seasons of their own recruiting and coaching. Period.
baseball wasnt a mess....dannen turned it into one.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:Dannen will learn real quick if word gets out among the alumni and uptown that he doesn't like baseball and doesn't give support, he'll be ran out of town before he knows what for.
Most alumni don't give a rats ass about Tulane Athletics. Fewer care about Tulane Baseball. Yes, there may be quite a few in New Orleans that care (I would be a season ticket holder to Tulane Baseball if/when I live in New Orleans). But in the big picture, I'll bet 90% of Tulane Alumni can name a player on the team.
And I'll bet 100% of the alumni in uptown can name one player. Mark my words, if it gets out....this guy is gone.
I would guess about 50% might be able to name, nevermind find, the baseball stadium. A player, maybe 20%, that's being kind.

U serious?
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Most alumni don't give a rats ass about Tulane Athletics. Fewer care about Tulane Baseball. Yes, there may be quite a few in New Orleans that care (I would be a season ticket holder to Tulane Baseball if/when I live in New Orleans). But in the big picture, I'll bet 90% of Tulane Alumni can name a player on the team.
Yep. I can name two former players as well. Andy Cannizzaro and Matt Riser.
arkhou02
High Tide

90% couldn't name a player in any sport. When you lose as much as we lose, no one really cares.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

If this losing continues the AAC is going to kick Tulane out of the league. We are probably already walking on thin ice. It's sad watching all these programs collapse before our very eyes.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Dannen gets a big fat F as his first full academic year still has two months to go. There's complete justification for firing Jewett after only one year. Dannen said last spring that Baseball was Tulane's only program that was currently positioned to compete for a National Championship. Now it has turned into an utter disaster. Dannen would be elevated in my eyes if he has the guts to pull the trigger after only one year and admit that he blew this one.

Fritz has improved the Football program but not as much as I had hoped after the first year and his recruiting is very troubling.

Basketball is the easiest to fix. It only takes a couple of players to turn the whole thing around, so I have no problem giving Dunleavy another year to show something.

Women's basketball is celebrating another WNIT. Very pathetic that they don't feel disappointed that they are underachieving. The Men reaching the NIT would be cause for celebration at this point.

Tennis appears to be doing well.
RobertM320
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Dannen gets a big fat F as his first full academic year still has two months to go. There's complete justification for firing Jewett after only one year. Dannen said last spring that Baseball was Tulane's only program that was currently positioned to compete for a National Championship. Now it has turned into an utter disaster. Dannen would be elevated in my eyes if he has the guts to pull the trigger after only one year and admit that he blew this one.

Fritz has improved the Football program but not as much as I had hoped after the first year and his recruiting is very troubling.

Basketball is the easiest to fix. It only takes a couple of players to turn the whole thing around, so I have no problem giving Dunleavy another year to show something.

Women's basketball is celebrating another WNIT. Very pathetic that they don't feel disappointed that they are underachieving. The Men reaching the NIT would be cause for celebration at this point.

And volleyball.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
localvb
High Tide

If you thought it would all be turned around in 1 year you have no idea about college sports. Some of you that have complelty turned on Tulane and the new admin/coaches need a reality check. And what's also sad is some (like JerseyWave) talk only about the negative and don't even mention the great turn around in the volleyball program. The reality is it usually doesn't happen in 1 year. I've said it before but Coach Barnes is a exceptional coach and had some pieces at Tulane to make a great impact in 1 year. The other coaches are very good as well but just need some time because of the circumstances they are facing.

If your're going to give an evaluation/grade on 1 year you can't leave out the good stuff!!
Show Me
Tsunami

localvb wrote:If you thought it would all be turned around in 1 year you have no idea about college sports. Some of you that have complelty turned on Tulane and the new admin/coaches need a reality check. And what's also sad is some (like JerseyWave) talk only about the negative and don't even mention the great turn around in the volleyball program. The reality is it usually doesn't happen in 1 year. I've said it before but Coach Barnes is a exceptional coach and had some pieces at Tulane to make a great impact in 1 year. The other coaches are very good as well but just need some time because of the circumstances they are facing.

If your're going to give an evaluation/grade on 1 year you can't leave out the good stuff!!
Well don't forget baseball. That was turned around for sure. In the wrong way. :oops:
JerseyWave
Riptide

localvb wrote:If you thought it would all be turned around in 1 year you have no idea about college sports. Some of you that have complelty turned on Tulane and the new admin/coaches need a reality check. And what's also sad is some (like JerseyWave) talk only about the negative and don't even mention the great turn around in the volleyball program. The reality is it usually doesn't happen in 1 year. I've said it before but Coach Barnes is a exceptional coach and had some pieces at Tulane to make a great impact in 1 year. The other coaches are very good as well but just need some time because of the circumstances they are facing.

Yes, Coach Barnes is by far the most successful of Dannen's hires after one year, but if that's the only positive then Tulane's athletic department will soon die. Get a clue vb! Football and Basketballl have to succeed! How much revenue has the women's volleyball program generated?
Show Me
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:

Yes, Coach Barnes is by far the most successful of Dannen's hires after one year, but if that's the only positive then Tulane's athletic department will soon die. Get a clue vb! Football and Basketballl have to succeed! How much revenue has the women's volleyball program generated?
Except Barbara Burke hired our VB coach Barnes.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:Dannen gets a big fat F as his first full academic year still has two months to go. There's complete justification for firing Jewett after only one year. Dannen said last spring that Baseball was Tulane's only program that was currently positioned to compete for a National Championship. Now it has turned into an utter disaster. Dannen would be elevated in my eyes if he has the guts to pull the trigger after only one year and admit that he blew this one.

If TD fired Jewett during/after his first year, (1) it would cost money Tulane doesn't really have to buyout the coaches, perform a search, and hire new coaches (with no guarantees that they would be successful, no less), and, more importantly, (2) who would want to come here? Even though baseball and football were at different points prior to this season, the firing of Jewett in year 1 would likely have the same effect on baseball coaching prospects as the firing of Fritz in year 1 would have on football coaching prospects.
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

If TD fired Jewett during/after his first year, (1) it would cost money Tulane doesn't really have to buyout the coaches, perform a search, and hire new coaches (with no guarantees that they would be successful, no less), and, more importantly, (2) who would want to come here? Even though baseball and football were at different points prior to this season, the firing of Jewett in year 1 would likely have the same effect on baseball coaching prospects as the firing of Fritz in year 1 would have on football coaching prospects.
Sad but true. We are stuck for now. Just have to hope Jewett can win at some point soon.
There's no guarantee that he gets the next hire right either.