Congrats and Thanks TD

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You have done a great job in your first six months here by making four excellent hires. After never having to make a hire before you showed great professionalism in the way you handled each search. You have given the Wave Nation real hope for future success and it is much appreciated. We can't wait to see what you'll do with regards to upgrading facilities now that all these coaching issues have been resolved.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

Agree. Ballsy. He is saavy enough to know that he would have been the toast of the town and the North Shore had he pulled the trigger on AC. I wanted AC. Everyone I know wanted AC. Lsu fans knew he was a gone pecone.

But thats not troy Dannen. He went with the MOST QUALIFIED guy regardless of affiliation. No influence from inside or outside. Ballsy, Ballsy hire and I tip my cap to TD. The more I read about the big jew, the more I like.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:You have done a great job in your first six months here by making four excellent hires. After never having to make a hire before you showed great professionalism in the way you handled each search. You have given the Wave Nation real hope for future success and it is much appreciated. We can't wait to see what you'll do with regards to upgrading facilities now that all these coaching issues have been resolved.
He's doing what he's paid to do. The big reveal Tulanegreenwave website change was a flop. And none of his coaches have won a game yet. No IPF or any other plans for facilities yet discussed. How about we wait until after that takes place to crown him King. One paper it looks fine but until we get wins I'm in the Show Me crowd.
Funny that he listened to a Tulane guy when he hired Dunleavy. I guess he wasn't going that route again.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote:You have done a great job in your first six months here by making four excellent hires. After never having to make a hire before you showed great professionalism in the way you handled each search. You have given the Wave Nation real hope for future success and it is much appreciated. We can't wait to see what you'll do with regards to upgrading facilities now that all these coaching issues have been resolved.
Well, he proclaimed in January he would have a FACILITIES PLAN finalized and published by the end of June. He did not and as of July 9 does not.

As others have pointed out our new coaches have not coached a single game. Hopefully their successes will match this board's optimism. We will soon begin to know.

Hopefully Winwave will be more engaged in the Advisory Committee meetings than the "isn't everything great' Dickson clone he seems to have become since his name was drawn out of the hat.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

Actually TD said he was HOPING to have a facility plan announced by the end of June. It was never a hard and fast deadline. Of course, at the time he didn't know he'd be doing 4 coaching searches and he probably didn't realize how big a mess RD left.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jonathan
Riptide

Four excellent hires by Troy Dannen in football,men's basketball,volleyball and baseball
In 8 months. We at Tulane have the best AD in the nation in my opinion.
Show Me
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote:Agree. Ballsy. He is saavy enough to know that he would have been the toast of the town and the North Shore had he pulled the trigger on AC. I wanted AC. Everyone I know wanted AC. Lsu fans knew he was a gone pecone.

But thats not troy Dannen. He went with the MOST QUALIFIED guy regardless of affiliation. No influence from inside or outside. Ballsy, Ballsy hire and I tip my cap to TD. The more I read about the big jew, the more I like.
Not so Ballsy when the guy that hired you had influence in this decision. Darryl Berger is on both the Vandebilit and Tulane board. He's also a Vandy alum. I was told he recommended Dannen interview Jewett.
Profoundwizard
Swell

How are we touting Dunleavy as an excellent hire already? He's the most questionable of the bunch. Fritz was a HR i agree
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Agree. Ballsy. He is saavy enough to know that he would have been the toast of the town and the North Shore had he pulled the trigger on AC. I wanted AC. Everyone I know wanted AC. Lsu fans knew he was a gone pecone.

Not so Ballsy when the guy that hired you had influence in this decision. Darryl Berger is on both the Vandebilit and Tulane board. He's also a Vandy alum. I was told he recommended Dannen interview Jewett.
Even if Berger mentioned him, I'm sure Troy got advice from other people and Jewett's name would have come up.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Show Me wrote:

lol, nobody had to tell AD to interview Jewett.....Every AD has wanted to interview Jewett in every single HC opening the last few years. The guy was the top Assistant in the country and Assoc HC at Vandy, and you think that some board member at Tulane had to twist TDs arm to interview him? Comical that people are trying to come up with reasoning of how Jewett got hired over AC....its simple folks, Jewett>> than a 2 year assistant.

The people that still argue AC over Jewett, just sit back and enjoy as we have professional running this program. The days are finally gone where we have to hire someones brother to coach our teams, we are thinking bigger these days and its a breath of fresh air!!!! finally. Everyone on this board has been wanting to hire the best candidates in the country for years and do national searches for the best coach, but when it happened everyones mad because we didn't hire a guy who coached for 2 years.....you almost cant make that up.
greenphantom
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Four excellent hires by Troy Dannen in football,men's basketball,volleyball and baseball
In 8 months. We at Tulane have the best AD in the nation in my opinion.
Did someone hack the website? This cant be the real Jonathan posting this.
Jonathan
Riptide

It is. What your problem? I have said 100 percent positive things about Tulane since Cowen and Dickson gone except for the 24 month traitor Pierce.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:

Lol. The same guy who rubber stamped everything from Cowen and Dickson is now micro managing the baseball hire.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Show Me wrote:

lol, nobody had to tell AD to interview Jewett.....Every AD has wanted to interview Jewett in every single HC opening the last few years. The guy was the top Assistant in the country and Assoc HC at Vandy, and you think that some board member at Tulane had to twist TDs arm to interview him? Comical that people are trying to come up with reasoning of how Jewett got hired over AC....its simple folks, Jewett>> than a 2 year assistant.

The people that still argue AC over Jewett, just sit back and enjoy as we have professional running this program. The days are finally gone where we have to hire someones brother to coach our teams, we are thinking bigger these days and its a breath of fresh air!!!! finally. Everyone on this board has been wanting to hire the best candidates in the country for years and do national searches for the best coach, but when it happened everyones mad because we didn't hire a guy who coached for 2 years.....you almost cant make that up.
Good post though it's far from everyone who is upset. Fact is many are very happy w/TD and the way he has handled his business since taking over. That's why I started the thread.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Show Me wrote:

This is a great post. TD is a professional and he understands when a coach has the background to build a consistent winner. Taking a chance on someone who has little experience usually doesn't work out. TD has brought in 3 proven winners as head coaches and now has brought in one of the most sought after experienced assistant coach in baseball. His judgment is sound.

All the while he is restructuring the athletic department, meeting all the movers and shakers and looking at what facility needs that should be done first.
He has my respect.
Jaxwave
Swell

The Tulane situation that TD inherited called for (in his own paraphrased words) proven experienced coaches who could have success immediately due to our long suffering athletic past. Personally I wasn't thrilled with the football hire ( hate the offense and God forbid he leave, we'd not have the offensive players to run another system) but I get it we aren't in a position to take chances on inexperienced coaches who might be great but also might flame out. No hire is a sure thing but it's hard to argue that the coaches he brought in don't know how to build a winner.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:The Tulane situation that TD inherited called for (in his own paraphrased words) proven experienced coaches who could have success immediately due to our long suffering athletic past. Personally I wasn't thrilled with the football hire ( hate the offense and God forbid he leave, we'd not have the offensive players to run another system) but I get it we aren't in a position to take chances on inexperienced coaches who might be great but also might flame out. No hire is a sure thing but it's hard to argue that the coaches he brought in don't know how to build a winner.
Wow, Fritz is the one hire I absolutely love. To be able to take a sitting head coach who has done nothing but win, with our recent history was awesome. As for the offense, if we win, I don't care what it is but we'll see what kind of system he runs here. He's run different stuff in different places IIRC. It's great to have a basketball coach with head coaching experience at the NBA level but he's never coached college and hasn't coached at all in 5-6 years. Who knows how that's going to turn out.

Baseball is the one sport I felt we could take a chance on a guy without as much experience, especially if that guy sacrificed experience coaching by playing in the big leagues.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Regarding the baseball hire, I have zero ax to grind...in fact with every hire TD has made, I cannot find one fault with the process or selection. Let's review as a whole the hires...each one generated substantial positive buzz in both the media and coaching fraternity. I view these hires and the reactions to them as the word has been sent not only verbally but on a practical basis that Tulane is in the "game' to be competitive and win. This is the message that needs to be sent loud and clear when the next round of expansion /poaching arrives. Expansion may happen next year, but i think it will be 2018 when the big shake up comes. TD has sent out the word "this is not you same old Tulane you are dealing with, the most comptented Coach's and Staff's, regardless of previous affiliations, will be hired.... an example is a recent hire by the University of Texas @ Austin...does anyone find it odd that it has been one hell of a long time since a former UT player has been hired to "coach" any sport no matter who the AD was....Tulane is rapidly approaching a Xroads in Athletic Armeggadon and it needed to deliver a message loud and clear...The best and most qualified will be hired and the University is stepping up to make sure this will happen. I look at the lack of a "facilities plan" as a detour, I am sure TD did not expect to be hiring a baseball coach. I also agree with some posters, these Coachs have not
won a game yet...but they have, and they have been successful at every previous stop, if those hired did not believe the pieces and university support were in place to be successful, they would not have signed a contract. Now, let's all take a very deep breathe, exhale slowly and relax...and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the results you see between late August and late November,Hell I think everyone will be surprised by what will happen all year long no matter what certain magazines and web sites may print or post
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

I couldn't agree with you more. TD has embraced the Tulane community, culture and history. It's a breath of fresh air to hear our AD say that we want to be as good on the field as we are in the classroom. We are ranked (I believe) 41st in the USNWR, I believe everyone here would be jumping for joy (and wanting more as we should) if our programs (sports) averaged that ranking on a national basis. It's also refreshing to hear our AD take shots at LSU. I'm a believer that we will have a series with them again when Coach Fritz turns our program around sooner than later. To read his twitter page and see the compliments on our city, Mardi Gras, successful athletes, etc, it's just rewarding as a fan. TD moved his young family and just dove right in to our community and blended as if he was born here. We are truly blessed.

On the coaching front, I believe that he has made 4 excellent hires. I believe all 4 of the programs that he hired coaches for will become winners (and Baseball will stay on track and hopefully improve). TD has put Tulane first not politics. He is not hiring the person that will stay. He is hiring the person that is the best fit for Tulane at this point in time. I shared my disappointment of the non-hiring of AC on this forum. While I do believe that AC will hit it out of the park, after really diving into Coach Jewitt's accomplishments, I know that he will do the same. I do not know AC, have only watched him from the stands. However, I 100% trust TD and believe that Coach Jewitt has the ability to get us back to Omaha. Upon evaluating everything, my heart was being influenced, I guess that's why I'm not the AD. TD used sound judgement calls on all 4 coaches. Who in their right mind would have thought that we'd have a VB coach from Baylor, a Football Coach that shook Georgia to it's bones on their turf and a Basketball Coach that has went to the NBA playoffs on several occasions. I did believe that we'd hire a top notch Baseball Coach and we did. I also believe that (especially on the Basketball front) TD was able to get more money for the coaches and their staff. He probably had to go to Dr. Fitts and ask for more money in the case of Dunleavy (just a guess).

As far as facilities go, TD has said that he wants an Athletics Operations Building (which will probably contain great weight and meeting rooms). I'm confident that this will happen sooner than later. TD is a doer, he makes it happen. He is not one for excuses. And, he does it with class and style.

Let's also give Dr. Fitts a shout out....he has given TD the tools that he needs to succeed and has gotten out of the way. (From the outside looking in) it sure does appear that TD has the ability to run his department the way he wants. Obviously Fitts is supporting TD and letting him make his own decisions.

Sorry for the essay, but the past 6 months have been really refreshing. I can look my LSU and USM friends in the face and actually say that our Admin cares about winning......so nice,,,just so nice.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:Regarding the baseball hire, I have zero ax to grind...in fact with every hire TD has made, I cannot find one fault with the process or selection. Let's review as a whole the hires...each one generated substantial positive buzz in both the media and coaching fraternity. I view these hires and the reactions to them as the word has been sent not only verbally but on a practical basis that Tulane is in the "game' to be competitive and win. This is the message that needs to be sent loud and clear when the next round of expansion /poaching arrives. Expansion may happen next year, but i think it will be 2018 when the big shake up comes. TD has sent out the word "this is not you same old Tulane you are dealing with, the most comptented Coach's and Staff's, regardless of previous affiliations, will be hired.... an example is a recent hire by the University of Texas @ Austin...does anyone find it odd that it has been one hell of a long time since a former UT player has been hired to "coach" any sport no matter who the AD was....Tulane is rapidly approaching a Xroads in Athletic Armeggadon and it needed to deliver a message loud and clear...The best and most qualified will be hired and the University is stepping up to make sure this will happen. I look at the lack of a "facilities plan" as a detour, I am sure TD did not expect to be hiring a baseball coach. I also agree with some posters, these Coachs have not
won a game yet...but they have, and they have been successful at every previous stop, if those hired did not believe the pieces and university support were in place to be successful, they would not have signed a contract. Now, let's all take a very deep breathe, exhale slowly and relax...and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the results you see between late August and late November,Hell I think everyone will be surprised by what will happen all year long no matter what certain magazines and web sites may print or post
Well said.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more. TD has embraced the Tulane community, culture and history. It's a breath of fresh air to hear our AD say that we want to be as good on the field as we are in the classroom. We are ranked (I believe) 41st in the USNWR, I believe everyone here would be jumping for joy (and wanting more as we should) if our programs (sports) averaged that ranking on a national basis. It's also refreshing to hear our AD take shots at LSU. I'm a believer that we will have a series with them again when Coach Fritz turns our program around sooner than later. To read his twitter page and see the compliments on our city, Mardi Gras, successful athletes, etc, it's just rewarding as a fan. TD moved his young family and just dove right in to our community and blended as if he was born here. We are truly blessed.

On the coaching front, I believe that he has made 4 excellent hires. I believe all 4 of the programs that he hired coaches for will become winners (and Baseball will stay on track and hopefully improve). TD has put Tulane first not politics. He is not hiring the person that will stay. He is hiring the person that is the best fit for Tulane at this point in time. I shared my disappointment of the non-hiring of AC on this forum. While I do believe that AC will hit it out of the park, after really diving into Coach Jewitt's accomplishments, I know that he will do the same. I do not know AC, have only watched him from the stands. However, I 100% trust TD and believe that Coach Jewitt has the ability to get us back to Omaha. Upon evaluating everything, my heart was being influenced, I guess that's why I'm not the AD. TD used sound judgement calls on all 4 coaches. Who in their right mind would have thought that we'd have a VB coach from Baylor, a Football Coach that shook Georgia to it's bones on their turf and a Basketball Coach that has went to the NBA playoffs on several occasions. I did believe that we'd hire a top notch Baseball Coach and we did. I also believe that (especially on the Basketball front) TD was able to get more money for the coaches and their staff. He probably had to go to Dr. Fitts and ask for more money in the case of Dunleavy (just a guess).

As far as facilities go, TD has said that he wants an Athletics Operations Building (which will probably contain great weight and meeting rooms). I'm confident that this will happen sooner than later. TD is a doer, he makes it happen. He is not one for excuses. And, he does it with class and style.

Let's also give Dr. Fitts a shout out....he has given TD the tools that he needs to succeed and has gotten out of the way. (From the outside looking in) it sure does appear that TD has the ability to run his department the way he wants. Obviously Fitts is supporting TD and letting him make his own decisions.

Sorry for the essay, but the past 6 months have been really refreshing. I can look my LSU and USM friends in the face and actually say that our Admin cares about winning......so nice,,,just so nice.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

One thing that needs to be mentioned w/regards to the football and basketball searches is that the pool of candidates that he had to pick from were limited by our lack of facilities.
localvb
High Tide

Well said Wavertime.

I know I've said this before but Volleyball is going to be a beast! Look forward to them leading the charge!!
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:One thing that needs to be mentioned w/regards to the football and basketball searches is that the pool of candidates that he had to pick from were limited by our lack of facilities.
Well let's see what he does in regard to that excuse.
Bearwave
High Tide

Show Me wrote:
He's doing what he's paid to do. The big reveal Tulanegreenwave website change was a flop. And none of his coaches have won a game yet. No IPF or any other plans for facilities yet discussed. How about we wait until after that takes place to crown him King. One paper it looks fine but until we get wins I'm in the Show Me crowd.
Funny that he listened to a Tulane guy when he hired Dunleavy. I guess he wasn't going that route again.

Bingo.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em