Congrats and Thanks TD

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:Regarding the baseball hire, I have zero ax to grind...in fact with every hire TD has made, I cannot find one fault with the process or selection. Let's review as a whole the hires...each one generated substantial positive buzz in both the media and coaching fraternity. I view these hires and the reactions to them as the word has been sent not only verbally but on a practical basis that Tulane is in the "game' to be competitive and win. This is the message that needs to be sent loud and clear when the next round of expansion /poaching arrives. Expansion may happen next year, but i think it will be 2018 when the big shake up comes. TD has sent out the word "this is not you same old Tulane you are dealing with, the most comptented Coach's and Staff's, regardless of previous affiliations, will be hired.... an example is a recent hire by the University of Texas @ Austin...does anyone find it odd that it has been one hell of a long time since a former UT player has been hired to "coach" any sport no matter who the AD was....Tulane is rapidly approaching a Xroads in Athletic Armeggadon and it needed to deliver a message loud and clear...The best and most qualified will be hired and the University is stepping up to make sure this will happen. I look at the lack of a "facilities plan" as a detour, I am sure TD did not expect to be hiring a baseball coach. I also agree with some posters, these Coachs have not
won a game yet...but they have, and they have been successful at every previous stop, if those hired did not believe the pieces and university support were in place to be successful, they would not have signed a contract. Now, let's all take a very deep breathe, exhale slowly and relax...and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the results you see between late August and late November,Hell I think everyone will be surprised by what will happen all year long no matter what certain magazines and web sites may print or post
Great post.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:One thing that needs to be mentioned w/regards to the football and basketball searches is that the pool of candidates that he had to pick from were limited by our lack of facilities.
Well let's see what he does in regard to that excuse.
There are already things happening and that have been announced. Apparently, $1M in Turchin upgrades, the water cannon feature at the stadium, I believe upgrades to the weight room and locker room are in progress or being worked on. Dannen is getting twice as much done on that front as Dickson too.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:One thing that needs to be mentioned w/regards to the football and basketball searches is that the pool of candidates that he had to pick from were limited by our lack of facilities.
Well let's see what he does in regard to that excuse.
No excuse. That's factual. He will take action. He's had to make four major hires in 6 months. That clearly take precedence. It's also something that is unprecedented.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
msdos
Swell

it'll be interesting to see who this board turns on first after we go 2-10
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

msdos wrote:it'll be interesting to see who this board turns on first after we go 2-10
Easy. Jonathan.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
msdos wrote:it'll be interesting to see who this board turns on first after we go 2-10
Easy. Jonathan.
just trying to bring some levity. everyone is riding pretty high here when none of these coaches has played a game. I don't see Fritz winning this year, and anyone else who was at the spring game can see that as well.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I do not see 2-10....I see 4 to 5 wins, but what I also see is a team that actually has a "game plan" with good solid Coaching and sideline decision making. I do not see Tulane getting "blown out"... I do think many, who are unfamiliar with the "read spread option' will be very surprised just how fun it can be to watch and more importantly to recruits, how much fun it is to play in the system.... This is not the Ga Tech or old Texas A&M "wishbone"...the system is more like the old USFL Houston Gamblers Run and Shoot offense that Mouse Davis brought with him from Portland State....there are several teams on the schedule that do not have the "D" players to defend this system or the correct amount of time to prepare for it...so who knows, 6 wins may happen...but even if it does not, the Quality of the Coaching will be evident from the first kick off
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:How are we touting Dunleavy as an excellent hire already? He's the most questionable of the bunch. Fritz was a HR i agree
Dunleavy has won at levels much higher than Tulane Basketball. Fritz hasn't won a game (nor coached one) at this level. I'll take my chances with Mike Dunleavy, and keep my fingers crossed with Willie Fritz.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

msdos wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Easy. Jonathan.
just trying to bring some levity. everyone is riding pretty high here when none of these coaches has played a game. I don't see Fritz winning this year, and anyone else who was at the spring game can see that as well.
We're riding high right now because with the crap we were left with this past decade, decade and a half, has been exactly that: crap. We finally have a new admin that seems to "get it". From rebranding to hiring better coaches, all the signs are pointing towards the right direction. If we go 2-10, as long as there is visible improvement, I ain't going to complain. Did we see ANY improvement in last 3 years of CJ teams? Same mistakes, same development, same plateau. Roll Wave! Happy Sunday! :mrgreen:
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:How are we touting Dunleavy as an excellent hire already? He's the most questionable of the bunch. Fritz was a HR i agree
Dunleavy has won at levels much higher than Tulane Basketball. Fritz hasn't won a game (nor coached one) at this level. I'll take my chances with Mike Dunleavy, and keep my fingers crossed with Willie Fritz.
Like Bob Toledo, Dunleavy won years ago. Quite frankly the NBA and college basketball are two totally different sports. From the X's and O's to acquiring players. He wasn't coaching teams in the NBA that were completely outmanned and he didn't have to recruit to fill out a roster.

Fritz has spent the last two years at the FBS Level and he's won in both of them. So I'm not sure how he hasn't coached a game at this level
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
msdos wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Easy. Jonathan.
We're riding high right now because with the crap we were left with this past decade, decade and a half, has been exactly that: crap. We finally have a new admin that seems to "get it". From rebranding to hiring better coaches, all the signs are pointing towards the right direction. If we go 2-10, as long as there is visible improvement, I ain't going to complain. Did we see ANY improvement in last 3 years of CJ teams? Same mistakes, same development, same plateau. Roll Wave! Happy Sunday! :mrgreen:
+1
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Like Bob Toledo, Dunleavy won years ago. Quite frankly the NBA and college basketball are two totally different sports. From the X's and O's to acquiring players. He wasn't coaching teams in the NBA that were completely outmanned and he didn't have to recruit to fill out a roster.

Fritz has spent the last two years at the FBS Level and he's won in both of them. So I'm not sure how he hasn't coached a game at this level
In basketball the pool was a a group of CJ's and MD. Easy choice.
Profoundwizard
Swell

That may be so but that doesn't mean it was a good hire.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll see.
Profoundwizard
Swell

We will, that's the most questionable of the hires, IMO.
greenphantom
Swell

I cant believe anyone can second guess TD. We are 180 degrees from where we were under Dickson. Sure the jury is still out on all the coaching hires but all signs point that they were great hires for Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:I cant believe anyone can second guess TD. We are 180 degrees from where we were under Dickson. Sure the jury is still out on all the coaching hires but all signs point that they were great hires for Tulane.
+1
Show Me
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:I cant believe anyone can second guess TD. We are 180 degrees from where we were under Dickson. Sure the jury is still out on all the coaching hires but all signs point that they were great hires for Tulane.
People are entitled to differ. He's hired 4 coaches and none have won a game yet. His new website is worse than the one prior that was horrible. Let's see some skins on the wall before anointing him. Let's see some facility upgrades. Let's see some big fund raising. Because Dickson was so horrible anybody would look better. Show Me first.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Pro and College are different...Larry Brown seems to have done all right everywhere he coached, even if it were not long enough to qualify for a pension plan
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Pro and College are different...Larry Brown seems to have done all right everywhere he coached, even if it were not long enough to qualify for a pension plan
The NBA is a different game than College Basketball. But getting your players into position to do what they do best is what's consistent at any level. And to think he didn't coach teams in the NBA that were completely outmanned ignores what he did as coach of the Clippers. Dunleavy coached that team that had no right (on paper) making the NBA Playoffs into the Second Round of the Playoffs. Dunleavy has won NBA Coach of the Year. If you polled the coaches in our conference, I'd bet all of them would rank Mike Dunleavy as one of the top coaches in the conference, before he's coached a game in the conference.

And I hardly consider SunBelt football as the same level as C-USA, and not even close to the AAC. Yes, it's not FCS, but, as Coach Fritz proved, a very good FCS team can beat up on SunBelt competition. Appalachian State did very well moving from FCS to the SunBelt as well. If you think the SunBelt is on the same level as the AAC, I'd like to sell you a bridge in the Mohave.

I agree that none of Troy Dannen's hires have won a game yet. But I also feel like he's gotten us coaches that know what they're doing. I expect all to do well over time, and do not expect miracles (i.e. Post-Season in Football and/or Basketball) the first year.
nawlinspete
Riptide

"...do not expect a post season miracle in FB...." Hell two wins this regular season with no QB will BE a miracle. Way too early on BSKTBL as roster still incomplete and apparently Dunleavy has been unable to complete his coaching staff, yet alone the players' roster.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

The NBA is a different game than College Basketball. But getting your players into position to do what they do best is what's consistent at any level. And to think he didn't coach teams in the NBA that were completely outmanned ignores what he did as coach of the Clippers. Dunleavy coached that team that had no right (on paper) making the NBA Playoffs into the Second Round of the Playoffs. Dunleavy has won NBA Coach of the Year. If you polled the coaches in our conference, I'd bet all of them would rank Mike Dunleavy as one of the top coaches in the conference, before he's coached a game in the conference.

And I hardly consider SunBelt football as the same level as C-USA, and not even close to the AAC. Yes, it's not FCS, but, as Coach Fritz proved, a very good FCS team can beat up on SunBelt competition. Appalachian State did very well moving from FCS to the SunBelt as well. If you think the SunBelt is on the same level as the AAC, I'd like to sell you a bridge in the Mohave.

I agree that none of Troy Dannen's hires have won a game yet. But I also feel like he's gotten us coaches that know what they're doing. I expect all to do well over time, and do not expect miracles (i.e. Post-Season in Football and/or Basketball) the first year.
How is 6 seed in the NBA playoffs outmanned with no chance to win on paper?
Regardless, that was many years ago. Byron Scott, Scott Brooks and Mike Brown are all recent coach of the year winners. All terrible coaches. He may do well but I don't think the odds are very good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: How is 6 seed in the NBA playoffs outmanned with no chance to win on paper?
Regardless, that was many years ago. Byron Scott, Scott Brooks and Mike Brown are all recent coach of the year winners. All terrible coaches. He may do well but I don't think the odds are very good.
The team hadn't been to the playoffs in 9 years. They had NEVER won a playoff series as the Los Angeles franchise (their last playoff win was in Buffalo, almost 30 years earlier).

You're right, and I'm not arguing that NONE of Dannen's hires have yet won a game at Tulane. I'm willing to let it play out, but think Dunleavy is an excellent coach. Ask Kevin Ollie....whose only credential is having coached a Championship team.
Jonathan
Riptide

Troy has done an amazing job in his four hires,football,men's basketball,baseball and volleyball. Great AD.
DrBox
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote:That may be so but that doesn't mean it was a good hire.
Well had a much deeper resume than Toledo and he stood tall against the candidates. And I like his recruiting so for and the fact that he's created roster space. Also impressed with the staff. Also impressed with the staff. Moreso on those fronts than Fritz.