Travis Jewett to be new Tulane baseball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thinking way outside the box: Micah Owings has been kicking around the minor leagues since 2012. Maybe we could bring him here as a pitching (and hitting?) coach.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

d1baseball had a small report this morning stating that we should have new pitching coach named in a couple of days. Didnt give any specifics other than that.
Waverunner
Ripple

If goal is regionals,last two years were blissful.64 to regional,32 to regional final,with all of Gautreau/Jones guys.Cupboard bare after next season,Pierce didn't set it on fire recruiting.Goal is Omaha,Jones took us there,action,not talk.Jock sniffing alums slam him,he's in natl hHOF but not Tulane's,wth?
Btw,financial aid still not in place,it'll stay regionals til a change is made.
lurker123
Swell

Waverunner wrote:If goal is regionals,last two years were blissful.64 to regional,32 to regional final,with all of Gautreau/Jones guys.Cupboard bare after next season,Pierce didn't set it on fire recruiting.Goal is Omaha,Jones took us there,action,not talk.Jock sniffing alums slam him,he's in natl hHOF but not Tulane's,wth?
You are focused. Jones loved Tulane and had unmatched loyalty to it. He literally ruined his health because he cared about his job so much. It's great he just received the Coach's HOF nod and Tulane's will happen soon enough. He had unparalleled success at Tulane. 2001 and 2005 as examples were a blast. I wish him well.

However you sort of skipped over your point while singing "Kumbaya" to the rest of us.

If Pierce should be judged by what he did with Jones/Gautreau's players then shouldn't those folks be judged similarly as well? How much did they win with the same players? Just asking.
Waverunner
Ripple

They were frosh&sophs at the time
lurker123
Swell

Waverunner wrote:They were frosh&sophs at the time
So? Didn't he have upperclassmen on those teams that he had recruited?
Waverunner
Ripple

Tulane's will happen soon enough?Recognized nationally before locally?Don't appreciate what we had!!
Waverunner
Ripple

Thought you spoke of current upperclassmen.Post-Katrina,rule changes in recruiting,couple lean years.Still best baseball coach in Tulane history,ABCA HOFer,see who takes us to Omaha.Drink WW's KoolAid,Ath Dept's new lackey.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

lurker123 wrote:
Waverunner wrote:If goal is regionals,last two years were blissful.64 to regional,32 to regional final,with all of Gautreau/Jones guys.Cupboard bare after next season,Pierce didn't set it on fire recruiting.Goal is Omaha,Jones took us there,action,not talk.Jock sniffing alums slam him,he's in natl hHOF but not Tulane's,wth?
You are focused. Jones loved Tulane and had unmatched loyalty to it. He literally ruined his health because he cared about his job so much. It's great he just received the Coach's HOF nod and Tulane's will happen soon enough. He had unparalleled success at Tulane. 2001 and 2005 as examples were a blast. I wish him well.

However you sort of skipped over your point while singing "Kumbaya" to the rest of us.

If Pierce should be judged by what he did with Jones/Gautreau's players then shouldn't those folks be judged similarly as well? How much did they win with the same players? Just asking.
you are inferring that it was all coaching....wrong, this senior class was ranked #5 in the country that year.....obviously had a ton of talent, they were just a few months removed from being HS seniors.
lurker123
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

you are inferring that it was all coaching....wrong, this senior class was ranked #5 in the country that year.....obviously had a ton of talent, they were just a few months removed from being HS seniors.
I hope you folks aren't inferring Jones should still be coaching? I love Tulane but I don't want anyone to die helping it and that's the direction Jones was headed in because of his stress. I understand his health has improved and if so that's awesome news.

OK I'll state directly so there is no confusion. Tulane had a long dry run for what six years under Jones and his assistants at the end. I have made it very clear I respect his career performance at Tulane and am deeply grateful for it. However candidly it ranks on the cheap shot side to denigrate Pierce by saying he only won with Jones's players when obviously Jones didn't win with them either. Let's apply the same standards to all.

If you are right and Pierce can't recruit then it seems to me it's a win-win that he is now in Austin. I candidly don't care since he is gone. I'm more than glad to wish him well. Sweeping LSU this year was a lot of fun.

Let's quit knocking coaches who've done well at Tulane and moved on and root for Jewett to succeed or is this really something about the last coaching search?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Waverunner wrote:Thought you spoke of current upperclassmen.Post-Katrina,rule changes in recruiting,couple lean years.Still best baseball coach in Tulane history,ABCA HOFer,see who takes us to Omaha.Drink WW's KoolAid,Ath Dept's new lackey.
Is this ebonics?

I lost my Waverunner/English, English/Waverunner dictionary. The posts by this person the last couple of days are senseless.

I'll put it in his terms

Waverunner, something wrong he's off last couple of days in a couple of threads senseless. Understand not me.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

I hope you folks aren't inferring Jones should still be coaching? I love Tulane but I don't want anyone to die helping it and that's the direction Jones was headed in because of his stress. I understand his health has improved and if so that's awesome news.

OK I'll state directly so there is no confusion. Tulane had a long dry run for what six years under Jones and his assistants at the end. I have made it very clear I respect his career performance at Tulane and am deeply grateful for it. However candidly it ranks on the cheap shot side to denigrate Pierce by saying he only won with Jones's players when obviously Jones didn't win with them either. Let's apply the same standards to all.

If you are right and Pierce can't recruit then it seems to me it's a win-win that he is now in Austin. I candidly don't care since he is gone. I'm more than glad to wish him well. Sweeping LSU this year was a lot of fun.

Let's quit knocking coaches who've done well at Tulane and moved on and root for Jewett to succeed or is this really something about the last coaching search?
I play lots of Golf with a Texas season ticket holder in 4 sports...he follows college sports very closely, he and his wife love to go to the Baseball games and are not that excited by Pierce being named.. in his opinion, Tulane got one hell of a good Coach...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: I play lots of Golf with a Texas season ticket holder in 4 sports...he follows college sports very closely, he and his wife love to go to the Baseball games and are not that excited by Pierce being named.. in his opinion, Tulane got one hell of a good Coach...
What's not to like about Pierce? He's won wherever he's gone. Other than the fact that the UT Administration made the search look like the Keystone Cops, what did the UT supporter have to say about Pierce? Especially since we beat the 'horns this past spring?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: I play lots of Golf with a Texas season ticket holder in 4 sports...he follows college sports very closely, he and his wife love to go to the Baseball games and are not that excited by Pierce being named.. in his opinion, Tulane got one hell of a good Coach...
What's not to like about Pierce? He's won wherever he's gone. Other than the fact that the UT Administration made the search look like the Keystone Cops, what did the UT supporter have to say about Pierce? Especially since we beat the 'horns this past spring?
D...I think it was a carry over form the hiring circus that went on...Pierce is viewed as being 6 or 7th choice...I think Texas made a good hire...I also think Tulane mad a very good hire, a hire that may more of an upside than Pierce...but who knows, that is why they play the games
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Waverunner
Ripple

D from CT,heat wave up north must be affecting your reading comprehension ,as an educator of 40 years let me slow it down and make it simple for you:The greatest coach in Tulane sports history just made it into a national HOF and there is no congratulations or post of the article by anyone on any of the boards.Something seriously wrong,athletic dept in dismal shape,Omaha was ALWAYS the goal,now we are excited for regionals,hope Jewett can recruit because after next year cupboard is bare.What Jones did going to CWS twice may be the exception,not the rule,we shall see.Recruiting outlaw from
Oklahoma did not make it through the process and other asst hire not very impressive(.333 winning % at Appy St??)
Is that succinct enough?Coached 17 guys who played in the NFL,sometimes ya gotta slow things down,I understand.What y'all had with Charles Rick Jones was a gem who brought excellence and class to The Crescent City,hailed nationally now but underappreciated and blatantly disrespected on the local front.Enjoy the fall and winter with the two new hires and give me a call from
Omaha in one of the springs in the very near future!!
Bearwave
High Tide

Waverunner wrote:,as an educator of 40 years

Please tell me you weren't an English teacher!
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
lurker123
Swell

Waverunner wrote:D from CT,heat wave up north must be affecting your reading comprehension ,as an educator of 40 years let me slow it down and make it simple for you:The greatest coach in Tulane sports history just made it into a national HOF and there is no congratulations or post of the article by anyone on any of the boards.Something seriously wrong,athletic dept in dismal shape,Omaha was ALWAYS the goal,now we are excited for regionals,hope Jewett can recruit because after next year cupboard is bare.What Jones did going to CWS twice may be the exception,not the rule,we shall see.Recruiting outlaw from
Oklahoma did not make it through the process and other asst hire not very impressive(.333 winning % at Appy St??)
Is that succinct enough?Coached 17 guys who played in the NFL,sometimes ya gotta slow things down,I understand.What y'all had with Charles Rick Jones was a gem who brought excellence and class to The Crescent City,hailed nationally now but underappreciated and blatantly disrespected on the local front.Enjoy the fall and winter with the two new hires and give me a call from
OK. I get it now assuming the "NFL" comment is a typo. Jones may very well be a better coach then whose been hired since. We probably need a decade to have true on-the-field comparables but the only one we have shows that Pierce won with Jones's players while Jones didn't (since you say Pierce didn't/can't recruit.) Too small a sample to make a definitive conclusion. Let's see if Pierce/Jewett make it to Omaha by say 2025 or even 2020 if you prefer and then we should talk again.

If your measure of disrespect from Tulane to Jones is that he is not yet in University HOF within two years (a very brief period by any measure) then so be it. I gave you five coaches who are in National HOFs. Why don't you compare the dates when they left Tulane/stopped coaching, made the national HOF and made (assuming they are in) the Tulane HOF? I'm not looking this up. Why? You've managed to wrap up a pity party within an alleged conspiracy. I don't think any effort at fact checking or reasoning is going to impact your conclusion. That's cool. You have an opinion but again that's all that it is.

Until you start providing chapter and verse from verifiable facts or credible third party sources as to your allegation that Tulane is intentionally disrespecting Jones, no one has to believe it regardless of how loudly you might say it.

Finally what are you doing to fix this alleged sign of disrespect? Are you working to fix the problem? You're a Tulane fan and you want this perceived wrong corrected. Great. What are you doing about it to persuade the decision makers here?

Meanwhile you saw above how I feel about Jones. I would say that reflects the opinion of Tulane fans. Most of us will be more than happy to add our voice to get Jones in Tulane HOF because he deserves it not because he has been disrespected.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Waverunner wrote:D from CT,heat wave up north must be affecting your reading comprehension ,as an educator of 40 years let me slow it down and make it simple for you:The greatest coach in Tulane sports history just made it into a national HOF and there is no congratulations or post of the article by anyone on any of the boards.Something seriously wrong,athletic dept in dismal shape,Omaha was ALWAYS the goal,now we are excited for regionals,hope Jewett can recruit because after next year cupboard is bare.What Jones did going to CWS twice may be the exception,not the rule,we shall see.Recruiting outlaw from
At least this post was done in something resembling English. As an educator (and clearly you don't teach English), go back and read some of your posts the past few days. The sentences are so fragmented that they make no sense whatsoever. They really read like ebonics. If I were grading them, regardless of content, the poor grammar would give your posts an "F".
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
OK. I get it now assuming the "NFL" comment is a typo. Jones may very well be a better coach then whose been hired since. We probably need a decade to have true on-the-field comparables but the only one we have shows that Pierce won with Jones's players while Jones didn't (since you say Pierce didn't/can't recruit.) Too small a sample to make a definitive conclusion. Let's see if Pierce/Jewett make it to Omaha by say 2025 or even 2020 if you prefer and then we should talk again.

If your measure of disrespect from Tulane to Jones is that he is not yet in University HOF within two years (a very brief period by any measure) then so be it. I gave you five coaches who are in National HOFs. Why don't you compare the dates when they left Tulane/stopped coaching, made the national HOF and made (assuming they are in) the Tulane HOF? I'm not looking this up. Why? You've managed to wrap up a pity party within an alleged conspiracy. I don't think any effort at fact checking or reasoning is going to impact your conclusion. That's cool. You have an opinion but again that's all that it is.

Until you start providing chapter and verse from verifiable facts or credible third party sources as to your allegation that Tulane is intentionally disrespecting Jones, no one has to believe it regardless of how loudly you might say it.

Finally what are you doing to fix this alleged sign of disrespect? Are you working to fix the problem? You're a Tulane fan and you want this perceived wrong corrected. Great. What are you doing about it to persuade the decision makers here?

Meanwhile you saw above how I feel about Jones. I would say that reflects the opinion of Tulane fans. Most of us will be more than happy to add our voice to get Jones in Tulane HOF because he deserves it not because he has been disrespected.
I don't think he's a Tulane fan. He comes out and says "What y'all had with Charles Rick Jones" ....

Besides, even in the post where he's trying to "slow it down" and be grammatically correct, he's having difficulty putting sentences together. I typically hate the grammar police on Internet discussion boards, but his posts make you try to figure out what the hell point he's trying to make. They are literally senseless.
Last edited by DfromCT on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I caught that as well, DfromCt. But he's definitely local, due to the y'all.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I caught that as well, DfromCt. But he's definitely local, due to the y'all.
I take it at face value he is a Tulane fan. I'm ok he has an agenda. I'm not ok with the pity party/victim whining.

He has a legit objective: get Jones in Tulane HOF. If he wants it to occur yesterday as he has stated then he needs to be constructive. Quit bitchin' and work to fix the problem.
chain gang x man
Swell

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... fbdbb.html

Advocate article on assistant coaches
We need a pitching coach
chain gang x man
Swell

Two weeks after sources told The Advocate that new Tulane baseball coach Travis Jewett was about to name Jack Giese and Billy Jones his top assistants, athletic director Troy Dannen confirmed Saturday that no one has been hired yet.

But Giese no longer is a candidate, sources told The Advocate, adding that he did not make it through the school’s vetting process. He was expected to be the Green Wave’s pitching coach.

Giese, whose only college coaching experience was as pitching coach at Oklahoma in 2012 and 2013, never graduated from college. Although Tulane does not have an official policy prohibiting the hiring of coaches without a bachelor’s degree, it is an unwritten rule at many universities.

Additionally, Giese was removed from his position as pitching coach at Oklahoma before the 2014 season. The school did not specify why, but Giese’s name was listed in a pair of minor NCAA secondary violations the Sooners self-reported relating to impermissible phone calls and text messages to prospects.
Waverunner
Ripple

Heard it here first
chain gang x man
Swell

8/1/16, 12:52 PM
#Tulane's @TUJewett Announces Tighe Dickinson and Billy Jones to staff. tulanegreenwave.com/news/2016/8/1/… #RollWave pic.twitter.com/bkVRu8o57n

Dickinson new pitching coach