Travis Jewett to be new Tulane baseball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
pansdad
Ripple

I wish all of you would quit trying to outdo each other with insults.if you disagree, fine, but over and over gets so boring for those of us looking for SOLID news about Tulane athletics.

Take your argument to private messages, please!!!!

DrBox
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
Of course he knows he's wrong. He just can't admit it. Past coaches have been lied to and promises broken and this is one that has carried forward from RJ through DP. At least Dannen has come clean on it. All our coaches want is to be able to do as Vandy and Rice do that's all. Because we recruit similar student athletes.
Past coaches are not solid sources, especially the ones who weren't winning. They are looking for excuses. It's natural. Scelfo, for example, complained about everything. And he wasn't the only one. Dickson enabled the culture of excuses.
Maybe Pierce had some issues, but he never said anything publicly.
And now we're hearing this "these coaches haven't won a game yet" stuff.....when pray tell, was their opportunity to win a game?
We have fresh air in Tulane athletics, and some are more concerned about "their guy." Still after all we've been through "their guy" is the priority.

It's a new day. Fresh start. Not every coach was my number 1 choice. So what? They all have great credentials. Be happy!
dpm wave
Swell

Tulane ranked #601 by Money for Best Colleges for the value:

http://new.time.com/money/best-colleges ... -colleges/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote:Tulane ranked #601 by Money for Best Colleges for the value:

Wow!
Rice is #4. Go figure. Lol
Stanford #10 Vandy #27
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
It's a new day. Fresh start. Not every coach was my number 1 choice. So what? They all have great credentials. Be happy!
Amen and Good Night!

There's been way too much upset over not hiring Andy Cannizaro, and the tweets. I admit that the tweets got under my skin on a bad day. It's over...let's move on and root for these new hires to start hanging pelts on the walls. I could go on about us versus the high endowment peer Universities, but let's put it to bed. Some don't want to admit it makes a difference, others don't want to hear it, and I'm tired of arguing what should be an obvious point.

Let's rejoice in the joy of not having Rick Dickson, CJ, Scott Cowen, Conroy and most importantly the "Tulane Model". The 2016-17 school year should be our first down a path of renewed Green Wave success.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Of course he knows he's wrong. He just can't admit it. Past coaches have been lied to and promises broken and this is one that has carried forward from RJ through DP. At least Dannen has come clean on it. All our coaches want is to be able to do as Vandy and Rice do that's all. Because we recruit similar student athletes.
Past coaches are not solid sources, especially the ones who weren't winning. They are looking for excuses. It's natural. Scelfo, for example, complained about everything. And he wasn't the only one. Dickson enabled the culture of excuses.
Maybe Pierce had some issues, but he never said anything publicly.
And now we're hearing this "these coaches haven't won a game yet" stuff.....when pray tell, was their opportunity to win a game?
We have fresh air in Tulane athletics, and some are more concerned about "their guy." Still after all we've been through "their guy" is the priority.

They were just excuses? That's a leap too far. Yes, Scelfo and Toledo and others had excuses. But that doesn't mean the issues weren't real and too much for an inexperienced, under qualified coach to overcome. I don't blame them for wanting to point out they were set up to fail. It's not fair for anyone to be put in such a professional situation. At least they got some decent cash for their trouble.

But I agree wholeheartedly with your last point. Wanting "their guy" is part and parcel to the culture at Tulane Athletics that needs to be flushed. As I've noted previously I wouldn't be surprised if Jewett and Cannizaro were equal candidates in TD's eyes and TD was eager to bring in new blood rather than old.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Obviously this isn't a completely scientific poll, but it is based on data and this is the nightmare scenario I've been describing. This probably deserves its own thread.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Proven Path:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... -proven-pa

One more example he could have used: Rick Jones.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

They were just excuses? That's a leap too far. Yes, Scelfo and Toledo and others had excuses. But that doesn't mean the issues weren't real and too much for an inexperienced, under qualified coach to overcome. I don't blame them for wanting to point out they were set up to fail. It's not fair for anyone to be put in such a professional situation. At least they got some decent cash for their trouble.
Yes, they were excuses. they were NEVER a reason to win 3 games a year; If you were winning 6 or 7 and complaining that that was the ceiling, then it would have been credible. But no model, nothing, excused 3 wins a year.
posse
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:PRESS CONFERENCE 2PM THURSDAY

Ryan Jones
‏@rjonesTH
Tulane just sent out a press release saying it's introducing the new baseball coach at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Glazer Club
You all may have already covered this, but anybody know why they are waiting till Thursday for press conference?
RobertM320
Green Wave

In case anyone was interested in following Coach Jewitt on Twitter and hadn't done it yet, his new Twitter handle is @TUJewett
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:In case anyone was interested in following Coach Jewitt on Twitter and hadn't done it yet, his new Twitter handle is @TUJewett
I was wondering about that. BigJew50 wasn't quite politically correct enough. :lol:
RobertM320
Green Wave

jonathanjoseph wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:In case anyone was interested in following Coach Jewitt on Twitter and hadn't done it yet, his new Twitter handle is @TUJewett
I was wondering about that. BigJew50 wasn't quite politically correct enough. :lol:
Especially at Tulane. :)
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Can you imagine if it was handle TUJew. Maybe that's already taken. Lol.
Jonathan
Riptide

What is going on? No one on this site discussing.
Bigschtick
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Especially at Tulane. :)

HAH HAH HA
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Today's the big day. It will be interesting to see if any of the staff has been put in place.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

Great photo of our new head coach arriving at New Orleans airport this morning on Tulane baseball Twitter. Get to press conference at 2 pm to support him m.
Jonathan
Riptide

If you cannot attend the 2pm press conference today you can watch on the Tulane baseball Twitter site.
swampnik
Surge

tpstulane wrote:

Wow!
Rice is #4. Go figure. Lol
Stanford #10 Vandy #27
Also:
Smu-452
TCU-500
Loyola NO- 649
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You can watch the intro Press Conference, about to start, here:

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/watch/?Live=3
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wow, Travis Jewett is a very big man! He made Troy Dannen look small!
swampnik
Surge

Nice opening speech by Coach Jewitt. That was his wife Tracy and his two boys who came up at the close of his remarks?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

One thing I have to say is that this is another Coach that is someone I'd be happy to have coaching my sons. The common thread of Dannen's new hires is that they all come off as guys with high integrity and family values, while understanding that we are expecting more wins than losses.

When was the last time we had a new hire Coach talk about winning national championships?

ROLL WAVE!!!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

swampnik wrote:Nice opening speech by Coach Jewitt. That was his wife Tracy and his two boys who came up at the close of his remarks?
Yup, very nice start.

Wife will fit in nicely with the Uptown wives.