Travis Jewett to be new Tulane baseball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:That's what TD said. The fact is that parent sent his son to Tulane for 3 years one of which he had to sit out. That is something the so called insiders said was never going to happen yet we had 5 that have doing the last few years.
You're changing the subject.
We can always get D1 transfers. Only now they have to sit out for one year since 2007.
We have to find parents that can afford tuition money while their kid sits out a year.
Not changing the subject. You and yours said that no transfers were going to go to Tulane anymore b/c of the high cost and lack of aid. Yet we have 5 recently which supports what TD said. As that article that was linked pointed out every school in the country has to deal w/that issue.

Actually you have changed the subject. This is the welcome Jewett thread. You should create the I want to continue to whine on about an issue the AD just said I don't know what I am talking about thread. That's where these post belong.
I never said that. I said It's just harder to find a Micah Owens type kid today since they have to sit out and pay an extra year before playing.
Look we can settle this once and for all. If I see you at the baseball press conference I'll go ask TD in front of you. He's already answered all my questions at the booster club meeting. Or if a parent or two are there that I know I'll be glad to have them explain it to you.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: We'll have to agree to disagree.
Yes, we will.

We already know that Pierce would have bolted Tulane for Rice as quickly or faster than he did for the UT job. It's a better job than the Tulane job at this point in time. And although Troy Dannen has discussed the scholarship issues, he hasn't YET put us on an even playing field with many of our peers (Vandy, Rice, Stanford, TCU) that compete regularly at a higher level than Tulane Baseball. There's work to be done, and resistance from within that needs to be overcome. If we're going to aspire to be as good as the aforementioned peer Universities, changes MUST be made. Otherwise we're not going all in, and won't get the results we desire. Failing to admit that is putting your head in the sand.

Calling TPS's posts "whining" and "uniformed" is getting a little carried away (and borderline arrogant.) I'll take Tim's information, as a former player AND active Greenbacker (past President?) whom has more access than a committee member, more seriously than your posts. Sorry, Win that's just the way I see it.
Last edited by DfromCT on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:That's what TD said. The fact is that parent sent his son to Tulane for 3 years one of which he had to sit out. That is something the so called insiders said was never going to happen yet we had 5 that have doing the last few years.
We can always get D1 transfers. Only now they have to sit out for one year since 2007.
We have to find parents that can afford tuition money while their kid sits out a year.
Not changing the subject. You and yours said that no transfers were going to go to Tulane anymore b/c of the high cost and lack of aid. Yet we have 5 recently which supports what TD said. As that article that was linked pointed out every school in the country has to deal w/that issue.

Actually you have changed the subject. This is the welcome Jewett thread. You should create the I want to continue to whine on about an issue the AD just said I don't know what I am talking about thread. That's where these post belong.
I never said that. I said It's just harder to find a Micah Owens type kid today since they have to sit out and pay an extra year before playing.
Look we can settle this once and for all. If I see you at the baseball press conference I'll go ask TD in front of you. He's already answered all my questions at the booster club meeting. Or if a parent or two are there that I know I'll be glad to have them explain it to you.
I personally think we have more work to do with aid if we are to be a consistent top 10-20 program who hosts regionals regularly. With that being said winwave, do you expect the AD to go on the local public radio in the middle of a baseball coaching search and talk about how we are behind our peers......and again he specifically noted the minority scholarship issue. Did he bring that up out of the goodness of his heart?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

In the past decade, Rice has had 77 players drafted, Tulane 35. I'd say things may not be too equal.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

If it's this week I won't be there. But the matter was addressed directly in that interview. He wasn't saying what he had to say. He was directly addressing you and those who say what you have been saying. He also said the program has the support it get to Omaha. The issue has been addressed and is dead.

I apologize for the language I used in the last paragraph in the earlier post. I edited it but you must have been responding at the same time.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote: We'll have to agree to disagree.
Yes, we will.

We already know that Pierce would have bolted Tulane for Rice as quickly or faster than he did for the UT job. It's a better job than the Tulane job at this point in time. And although Troy Dannen has discussed the scholarship issues, he hasn't YET put us on an even playing field with many of our peers (Vandy, Rice, Stanford, TCU) that compete regularly at a higher level than Tulane Baseball. There's work to be done, and resistance from within that needs to be overcome. If we're going to aspire to be as good as the aforementioned peer Universities, changes MUST be made. Otherwise we're not going all in, and won't get the results we desire. Failing to admit that is putting your head in the sand.

Calling TPS's posts "whining" and "uniformed" is getting a little carried away (and borderline arrogant.) I'll take Tim's information, as a former player AND active Greenbacker (past President?) whom has more access than a committee member, more seriously than your posts. Sorry that's just the way I see it.
DP would have left for either Texas or Rice as they were his dream jobs. Nothing to do w/Tulane. We all knew that risk when he was hired and we were fine w/it. The bottom line on the issue is that we changed coaching staffs and immediately went back to the post season. Then we went further in year two. TD says the program and is fine and has all the support it needs to get to Omaha. I'll trust him over anyone. Plus Jewett took the job.

As for my post you referenced I edited it but he must have been responding at the same time.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:In the past decade, Rice has had 77 players drafted, Tulane 35. I'd say things may not be too equal.

We changed staffs and got right back into the post season. TD says the program has all it needs to get to Omaha. Jewett took the job. Enough said.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I personally think we have more work to do with aid if we are to be a consistent top 10-20 program who hosts regionals regularly. With that being said winwave, do you expect the AD to go on the local public radio in the middle of a baseball coaching search and talk about how we are behind our peers......and again he specifically noted the minority scholarship issue. Did he bring that up out of the goodness of his heart?
If you are just saying what you need to say you don't call out fans and say "they don't understand what they are talking about". He brought that up after saying what I just quoted. Like every single program everyone is trying to get more money to baseball players.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

If you are just saying what you need to say you don't call out fans and say "they don't understand what they are talking about". He brought that up after saying what I just quoted. Like every single program everyone is trying to get more money to baseball players.
I think all of us actually largely agree that TU does more than most but the difference is that many here like me think we need to do a bit more to rise up to the level of some of our peers. In the end we will never know for sure.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:In the past decade, Rice has had 77 players drafted, Tulane 35. I'd say things may not be too equal.

We changed staffs and got right back into the post season. TD says the program has all it needs to get to Omaha. Jewett took the job. Enough said.
Regionals is not the standard that TU aspires to.......TD is going to say that no matter what especially in the middle of a hiring search.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I think all of actually largely agree that TU does more than most but the different is that many here like me think we need to do a bit more to rise up to the level of some of our peers. In the end we will never know for sure.
I think the real problem is that some believe Tulane is just holding back and making an excuse when they say that the endowment or lack thereof prevents giving even more to the players. As wizard posted you have SEC coaches who say Vandy has it better than them. zombie followed up wizards post w/the numbers and showed the advantage Vandy is at b/c of their large endowment. So Vandy has an advantage unlike almost all if not all schools. Tulane nor the others can simply wipe that away. Then we had the link given that showed how every single school has the money issue in baseball. So when it's all said and done I believe TD when he says the program has all it needs to get back to Omaha.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:

Regionals is not the standard that TU aspires to.......TD is going to say that no matter what especially in the middle of a hiring search.

After six years of no post season you don't go straight back. The program is progressing nicely. You don't use the language he did to just say what you need to say.
RobertM320
Green Wave

PRESS CONFERENCE 2PM THURSDAY

Ryan Jones
‏@rjonesTH
Tulane just sent out a press release saying it's introducing the new baseball coach at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Glazer Club
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:PRESS CONFERENCE 2PM THURSDAY

Ryan Jones
‏@rjonesTH
Tulane just sent out a press release saying it's introducing the new baseball coach at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Glazer Club
Yea. I'll be there!
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad that was announced.
Jonathan
Riptide

Where is Jewett and his family for press conferenceTroy? Starting to get concerned. I a sure you have $1m buyout from Pierce in a Tulane bank. His name is now on the Texas athletic directory with phone number. Call him and tell him what a traitor and lier to Rick Dickson our former lousy AD what he promised Tulane after only 24 months. A scumbag.
Jonathan
Riptide

Press conference to introduce our new head baseball coach and family 2pm Thursday in Glazer Club in Yulman Stadium. Be there to give our support for our beloved Tulane baseball program.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

nm
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Some of Scott Kushner on 4th Down on Four discussing the tuition/ financial issue our new coach faces. Said Vandy and Rice different than Tulane on that. Said both Jones and Pierce were frustrated by it.
phpBB [video]
I watched it in its entirety last night. It was a lazy interview by him. He was just repeating old stuff and wasn't even aware of TD's recent blunt statement on the subject. The issue exist at all schools public and private across the country which was clearly shown by the recent link posted on this site. Like TD said in that interview it's a tired excuse and he's moved on.

Win you are killing me on this....TD said he wanted to do a more. Yes Tulane has it better than most but we also strive to be much better than most as we invested heavily in baseball and used up precious space on campus. We want to be Vandy and Rice, each of whom have won national championships and neither has missed the tourney for the last ten years.....Tulane has not made a super regional in a decade!!!!!! This isn't a discussion on TU not dedicating $ to baseball, it's whether it is enough to be a consistent threat for the College World Series. TD isn't going to come out and make excuses publicly, it's not his thing, but at the same time we have a few insiders who have said we are not equal to Rice and Vandy etc. I don't really understand your POV in all this, the results speak for themselves both on the field in in our recruiting rankings.
Pep- he spoke very directly and bluntly on the so called stacking issue and said those talking about it don't know what they are talking about and that the issue was addressed w/the rule changes of 2-3 years ago. He did add that he would look into minority aid as that is something that Tulane as a university could benefit from. He wasn't dancing around the issue. He made it clear it's not an issue as far as he is concerned. As for insiders I'm sorry but we have a lot of people that think they are but they aren't. The Miss. St. coach said we have it better than Alabama on the scholarship issue. I'll trust him to know more than the so called insiders. As for us not making a SR in a decade that has a lot more to do w/other issues that have been discussed in many threads over many years. As that recent article that was linked here said it is an issue for every single school in D1. The program is well supported by the school . It really is time to move on.

I'll add this. If Jewett was offered the Rice and Tulane jobs at the same time he would take the Tulane job.

WinWave, did you even listen to his interview you keep referring too? Stacking schlarships is not the issue, we know that, we dont have the Aid because of our endowment is small.

You are wrong, everyone says you are wrong,our last coaches say you are wrong, and people in the know including parents say you are wrong.....why, because you are wrong! You keep referring to TDs interview, and I really dont think you even listened to it, because TD clearly states that we are not on the same playing field as vanderbilt and rice. He clearly states in the interview if you would've listened to it, that we do not have the endowment Rice does and Vanderbilt does to be on even playing field with Aid, but there are a couple things we might be able to do to get a little closer...ie minority scholarships and hes working hard on it for us.

What we have currently in place can make us a top 25 team, yes, thats what we are currently(ranked top 25 by all polls). With what we have can we perennial Omaha team like UT,LSU,Vandy etc.... no, but that doesnt mean we cant go to omaha every once in a while. Thats the problem, people want to be the best and we need a couple tweaks to aid to get there.

I'm asking nicely to please go back and listen to TD interview again before you call anyone else out on the subject.
Show Me
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote: WinWave, did you even listen to his interview you keep referring too? Stacking schlarships is not the issue, we know that, we dont have the Aid because of our endowment is small.

You are wrong, everyone says you are wrong,our last coaches say you are wrong, and people in the know including parents say you are wrong.....why, because you are wrong! You keep referring to TDs interview, and I really dont think you even listened to it, because TD clearly states that we are not on the same playing field as vanderbilt and rice. He clearly states in the interview if you would've listened to it, that we do not have the endowment Rice does and Vanderbilt does to be on even playing field with Aid, but there are a couple things we might be able to do to get a little closer...ie minority scholarships and hes working hard on it for us.

What we have currently in place can make us a top 25 team, yes, thats what we are currently(ranked top 25 by all polls). With what we have can we perennial Omaha team like UT,LSU,Vandy etc.... no, but that doesnt mean we cant go to omaha every once in a while. Thats the problem, people want to be the best and we need a couple tweaks to aid to get there.

I'm asking nicely to please go back and listen to TD interview again before you call anyone else out on the subject.
Of course he knows he's wrong. He just can't admit it. Past coaches have been lied to and promises broken and this is one that has carried forward from RJ through DP. At least Dannen has come clean on it. All our coaches want is to be able to do as Vandy and Rice do that's all. Because we recruit similar student athletes.
chain gang x man
Swell

See y'all Thursday
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Some of Scott Kushner on 4th Down on Four discussing the tuition/ financial issue our new coach faces. Said Vandy and Rice different than Tulane on that. Said both Jones and Pierce were frustrated by it.
phpBB [video]
I watched it in its entirety last night. It was a lazy interview by him. He was just repeating old stuff and wasn't even aware of TD's recent blunt statement on the subject. The issue exist at all schools public and private across the country which was clearly shown by the recent link posted on this site. Like TD said in that interview it's a tired excuse and he's moved on.

Win you are killing me on this....TD said he wanted to do a more. Yes Tulane has it better than most but we also strive to be much better than most as we invested heavily in baseball and used up precious space on campus. We want to be Vandy and Rice, each of whom have won national championships and neither has missed the tourney for the last ten years.....Tulane has not made a super regional in a decade!!!!!! This isn't a discussion on TU not dedicating $ to baseball, it's whether it is enough to be a consistent threat for the College World Series. TD isn't going to come out and make excuses publicly, it's not his thing, but at the same time we have a few insiders who have said we are not equal to Rice and Vandy etc. I don't really understand your POV in all this, the results speak for themselves both on the field in in our recruiting rankings.
Pep- he spoke very directly and bluntly on the so called stacking issue and said those talking about it don't know what they are talking about and that the issue was addressed w/the rule changes of 2-3 years ago. He did add that he would look into minority aid as that is something that Tulane as a university could benefit from. He wasn't dancing around the issue. He made it clear it's not an issue as far as he is concerned. As for insiders I'm sorry but we have a lot of people that think they are but they aren't. The Miss. St. coach said we have it better than Alabama on the scholarship issue. I'll trust him to know more than the so called insiders. As for us not making a SR in a decade that has a lot more to do w/other issues that have been discussed in many threads over many years. As that recent article that was linked here said it is an issue for every single school in D1. The program is well supported by the school . It really is time to move on.

I'll add this. If Jewett was offered the Rice and Tulane jobs at the same time he would take the Tulane job.

WinWave, did you even listen to his interview you keep referring too? Stacking schlarships is not the issue, we know that, we dont have the Aid because of our endowment is small.

I listened to it and I strongly suggest you listen to it again. He said we recruit the same subset of players as them. He never said what you said. He was clear that people bringing up the issue didn't understand what they were talking about. as has been pointed out Vandy has an advantage over even SEC schools b/c of the size of their endowment. They have an advantage there over everyone not just Tulane. He also said we can go to Omaha w/the support the program now has.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:See y'all Thursday
For sure! Let's talk with TD about stacking. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote: WinWave, did you even listen to his interview you keep referring too? Stacking schlarships is not the issue, we know that, we dont have the Aid because of our endowment is small.

Of course he knows he's wrong. He just can't admit it. Past coaches have been lied to and promises broken and this is one that has carried forward from RJ through DP. At least Dannen has come clean on it. All our coaches want is to be able to do as Vandy and Rice do that's all. Because we recruit similar student athletes.
Uh, you have said all along the issue is stacking and Rollwave starts right about by saying we know that's not the issue. So time for you to admit you are wrong. We won't hold our breath waiting.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:See y'all Thursday
For sure! Let's talk with TD about stacking. Lol
I'm sure he'll be thrilled to explain it again only so that you can misunderstand him again. :mrgreen: