Travis Jewett to be new Tulane baseball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JDTulane
Riptide

I think this deserves its own thread. Roll wave

http://sportsnola.com/tulane-hire-vande ... ead-coach/

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Looks like a great hire. I would have been fine with any of the candidates, but trust Dannen's conviction and decision.

Again worth noting that this was a swift, professional process in contrast to Dickson's lazily hiring a consulting firm and then scaring off all the candidates.

While I called Cannizaro's candidacy "compelling" for obvious reasons beyond his qualifications, I wonder how much of the decision was Dannen not wanting additional ties to Tulane's past.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If true, and that is certainly a good source, welcome aboard Travis.
Last edited by winwave on Sun May 23, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

I don't think we could have gone wrong with any of the 3 but I do think Jewett is most qualified.
Forever TU
Surge

Check out this video of a speech our new coach gave to some high-school age kids. Imagine him in a Tulane jersey and It'd be virtually the same speech:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rthf8tFdUOY
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's a speech he gave a year ago at a conference in Ontario, Canada. I like his personality. Seems pretty real. Haven't looked at the video yet, but it might give us some insight into his offensive philosophy. Be prepared, its 49 minutes long.

2015 BEC 2 Travis Jewett Offensive Strategies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxlOoqt-iF0
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

Welcome aboard. We are fortunate to have you. You will thoroughly enjoy Tulane, New Orleans and winning baseball. Schedule up !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:Looks like a great hire. I would have been fine with any of the candidates, but trust Dannen's conviction and decision.

Again worth noting that this was a swift, professional process in contrast to Dickson's lazily hiring a consulting firm and then scaring off all the candidates.

While I called Cannizaro's candidacy "compelling" for obvious reasons beyond his qualifications, I wonder how much of the decision was Dannen not wanting additional ties to Tulane's past.
Ditto. I was told that both Cannizarro and Riser, in their interviews, were asked by Dannen, "what do you want from me?", they both answered that they wanted more funding and resources, which didn't help their cause. I trust in Dannen's judgement.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:Looks like a great hire. I would have been fine with any of the candidates, but trust Dannen's conviction and decision.

Ditto. I was told that both Cannizarro and Riser gave essentially the same answer to Dannen's question, " what do you want from me?" Their answers were essentially that they wanted more resources and funding--which didn't help their cause. I trust in Dannen's judgement.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
JerseyWave
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote:

Ditto. I was told that both Cannizarro and Riser gave essentially the same answer to Dannen's question, " what do you want from me?" Their answers were essentially that they wanted more resources and funding--which didn't help their cause. I trust in Dannen's judgement.
Do you think they might have spoken to Rick Jones before they interviewed?
Jonathan
Riptide

Great hire. Troy give him everything that he needs to get us back to Omaha.
chain gang x man
Swell

It will be very important for him to bring on a top notch staff
Retaining our recruits is top priority. We only have 20 players on our roster and half of these will be in their last year
Wavetime
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:

Ditto. I was told that both Cannizarro and Riser, in their interviews, were asked by Dannen, "what do you want from me?", they both answered that they wanted more funding and resources, which didn't help their cause. I trust in Dannen's judgement.

What's wrong with those questions? We do need more funding and resources. That's what an AD is for. I trust Dannen's judgement also, but I like the statements.
Bigschtick
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:I don't think we could have gone wrong with any of the 3 but I do think Jewett is most qualified.

Plus 1
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

Wavetime wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

What's wrong with those questions? We do need more funding and resources. That's what an AD is for. I trust Dannen's judgement also, but I like the statements.
Every coach wants administration support. Doesn't Dannen want that from Fitts? Cannizaro and Riser were never going to be hired. They were interviewed out of courtesy. They do not fit the type of coach Dannen is comfortable with. We can only hope Jewett works out. My biggest concern is why hadn't he gotten a D1 head job before? He's applied many times. He's been an assistant for 18 years straight. It's puzzling to me why no one before this hired the guy. As far as comparing Tulane to Vanderbilt that's a joke. Vanderbilt has no funding and resource issues. Maybe Dannen hired the guy in hopes of him telling Fitts what Vandy does to get around the system. Who knows. I'm disappointed. I think Dannen messed this one up and I'm in the majority. This is going to be a Show Me situation for sure. It's surely a step back from David Pierce.
Last edited by Show Me on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If there was any doubt...TD is the man in charge,,,,any of the final three would have been fine choices, but when you have a coach with his background and history of success, the correct decision was made

http://theneworleansadvocate.com/sports ... ll-program

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

Show Me wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

Every coach wants administration support. Doesn't Dannen want that from Fitts? Cannizaro and Riser were never going to be hired. They were interviewed out of courtesy. They do not fit the type of coach Dannen is comfortable with. We can only hope Jewett works out. My biggest concern is why hadn't he gotten a D1 head job before? He's applied many times. He's been an assistant for 18 years straight. It's puzzling to me why no one before this hired the guy. As far as comparing Tulane to Vanderbilt that's a joke. Vanderbilt has no funding and resource issues. Maybe Dannen hired the guy in hopes of him telling Fitts what Vandy does to get around the system. Who knows. I'm disappointed. I think Dannen messed this one up and I'm in the majority. This is going to be a Show Me situation for sure. It's surely a step back from David Pierce.
It seems majority of fans are happy with the hire. Only negativity I have seen is from the people close to Andy which is understandable.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

U may have a point about being an assistant...but I remember when a coach name Bertman was hired by LSU...he had a TOTALl of 18 years coaching experience, 10 years as a HIGH SCHOOL COACH and 8 years as an assistant at MIAMI.... seemed to work out pretty well...God I remember when Rice hired some old geezer name "Wayne whats his name Graham" from some damn JUCO in Harris County to be their Head Coach, the ouitrage, the carnage in metro Houston you would have thought Johnson Space Center was leaving town !! You posted he applied for several Head Coaching jobs, would you please list them for us....Thanks, and have a great day
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:

They both wanted the job. Furthermore Dannen has said it is not the issue some want to continue to say it is.. Once again the evidence is that Jewett took the job.
Last edited by winwave on Sun May 23, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

It seems majority of fans are happy with the hire. Only negativity I have seen is from the people close to Andy which is understandable.
This.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

U may have a point about being an assistant...but I remember when a coach name Bertman was hired by LSU...he had a TOTALl of 18 years coaching experience, 10 years as a HIGH SCHOOL COACH and 8 years as an assistant at MIAMI.... seemed to work out pretty well...God I remember when Rice hired some old geezer name "Wayne whats his nam Grahmn" from some damn JUCO in Harris County to tbe their Head Coach, the ouitrage, the carnage in metro Houston you would have thought Johnson Space Center was leaving town !! You posted he applied for several Head Coaching jobs, would you please list them for us....Thanks, and have a great day
Bam!!!
JerseyWave
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

Tommy Bowden had an extensive background as an assistant coach and was never a Head Coach until Tulane hired him. Canizarro only has two years in coaching. Riser is already a successful Head Coach so he has a better resume as a coach than Cannizaro.
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

U may have a point about being an assistant...but I remember when a coach name Bertman was hired by LSU...he had a TOTALl of 18 years coaching experience, 10 years as a HIGH SCHOOL COACH and 8 years as an assistant at MIAMI.... seemed to work out pretty well...God I remember when Rice hired some old geezer name "Wayne whats his nam Grahmn" from some damn JUCO in Harris County to tbe their Head Coach, the ouitrage, the carnage in metro Houston you would have thought Johnson Space Center was leaving town !! You posted he applied for several Head Coaching jobs, would you please list them for us....Thanks, and have a great day
He got passed over by Tulane in 2014 and Washington St in 2015. Didn't go back any further. You can say the same about Jerry Faust. Only time will tell. CJ was an assistant about as long. How did that work out?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

He got passed over by Tulane in 2014 and Washington St in 2015. Didn't go back any further. You can say the same about Jerry Faust. Only time will tell. CJ was an assistant about as long. How did that work out?
He was passed over by Tulane and Washington State... I have zero issue, at least he had his name in the hat....C'mon Jerry Faust, please do better than that...CJ an assistant, he was a WR's coach not an assistant...besides look who was doing the hiring at those times !!!...I hardly think two interviews for HCing jobs constitute "several" as you have posted...I will always believe Benson's "donation" was tied to CJ being hired...follow the time line and the $$$$

also just to be clear Johnson Space Center, Mission Control, is actually in "Clear Lake"..not Houston....fond memories of living in Clear Lake, my house was on "NASA RD 1 "
Jonathan
Riptide

Our new Vandy now Tulane head baseball coach is so much better than traitor Pierce.