Oct 22 at the Tulane Homecoming I will be arrested

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
dennis72
Ripple

No I not going to hurt anyone or damage anything. I'm simply going to wear a shirt that will compare the Tulane administration to the Nazi regime. But I will be more specific. They will ask me to go and I will refuse. They will call the police and I will go to jail. When I saw the receivers drop over 8 passes in the Tulsa game knowing that the receiver coach was forced on Toledo by Cowen. Cowen hired his wife and her husband needed a job. She hates football and works against it. Yet receivers dropping 8 passes is coaching. Cowen even forces his hand on coaching. So Oct 22 Homecoming I will be arrested. I did spend 4 years building a program to have rich narrowed men and women destroying what I help build. So Oct 22 is my last stand.
Dennis Delaney Class of 1975 Football 1972-74

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dennis was on the 1973 team and was in the game for both of our TD's. Wow!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

I remember that line - I was in high school...I may be off a few years.
Delaney, Rutledge, Gullickson, Gaston, Millet. Laakso was around then or maybe a little after.

Give 'em hell Dennis. I wouldn't use Hitler though....just something about fascism or tyranny.
Last edited by DrBox on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dennis attended Holy Cross and was recruited by Notre Dame, Alabama, Nebraska, Texas, Ok, LSU and others. He chose Tulane.
Dennis I think your last sentence should read didn't instead of did..... you may want to edit it.
I did spend 4 years building a program to have rich narrowed men and women destroying what I help build. So Oct 22 is my last stand.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

While I can't wear a shirt comparing these idiots to Hitler, I'm willing to do anything just below that. OPP aint so bad as long as you get bailed out in a timely fashion or know a judge or 3. I'll gladly make Cowen Sucks T-Shirts and pass them out in front of the Dome like they passed out Green Glasses.
wave to em
Surge

I'll gladly make Cowen Sucks T-Shirts and pass them out in front of the Dome like they passed out Green Glasses.
i get involved?
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I'll gladly make Cowen Sucks T-Shirts and pass them out in front of the Dome like they passed out Green Glasses.
I'm in.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JTLiuzza
Swell

How about "Save Tulane: Fire Cowen" or some such. "Cowen Sucks" will get no traction, even though it's true.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
sader24
Tsunami

I was just writing something down, I'm not married to "Cowen Sucks". It would be real nice to see 2,000 of the 3,000 people at the next game wearing derogatory T-shirts about the administration.
JDTulane
Riptide

I'm all about sporting controversial messages to make a point. I've done it in the past. I would also be willing to wear such a shirt that has a statement of the need to save Tulane athletics and academics.

I will NOT however wear a shirt that sports anything Nazi related nor will I wear a shirt that targets a particular individual most of us have never met or briefly encountered. Both cases are tacky.
msdos
Swell

I'm all for controversy, and making a splash, but I'd think twice before comparing Cowen's reign to that of a man who systematically murdered 6 million people. Not to mention those 6 million people were of the same religion that a great number of students and staff that this University are a part of.

It sends the wrong message, and it would hurt more than help.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Go for it Dennis! You are da man! MSdos, you make a valid point and you could be right but I think Dennis should go for it.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
JTLiuzza
Swell

msdos wrote:I'm all for controversy, and making a splash, but I'd think twice before comparing Cowen's reign to that of a man who systematically murdered 6 million people. Not to mention those 6 million people were of the same religion that a great number of students and staff that this University are a part of.

It sends the wrong message, and it would hurt more than help.
I'm with you on that, dos. Stay away from the nazi imagery.

If you're going to compare Cowen to somebody, how about this guy?

The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Robert1969
Riptide

I would urge you not to compare them to Nazis. It belittles the victims of that regime to compare a lousy college administration to that horrible regime. It wouldn't be helpful, and would reflect poorly on yourself. Protest and complain, bring attention to their shenanigans, do it wisely, skewer them with humor. But don't degrade your cause by invoking Godwin's law. Ask yourself this before making a nazi comparison: Would I look a holocaust victim in the eye and say "the rotten administration at Tulane is like the Nazis"? If not, hold up on those comparisons.
sader24
Tsunami

Anytime you compare anything to Hitler or the Nazis you immediately lose credibility. Don't compare him to anything just wear a shirt that says what he is, an A$$hole, Moron, Idiot, Jacka##, etc. Save Tulane Fire Cowen seems pretty spot on.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I can come up with a few shirt designs. Simple and to the point.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:I can come up with a few shirt designs. Simple and to the point.

Sounds like a job for Dave, over at Campus Connection. Heck, we've got a month before the next home game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dennis... I apprecaited your play 'back in the day"...I appreciate your "passion in the present day"...but do not allow yourself to sink below Cowen and Dickson by using Nazi items...I am sure there are many things that can be compared to the "Tulane Model", many of which are not complimentary...so forget the nazi / hitler krap...and let's use something more understandble by today standards...note I did not say "Politically" correct ...I could give a krap about correctness...or as I have told several people "I don't want to hear about the 'Labor Pains', just show me the kid" !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

You gotta love Dennis' love for Tulane. I had someone send me this link ....................

http://monsterhunter.coldfusionvideo.co ... back-1948/
Dennis Delaney
Posted November 4, 2009 at 1:33 AM
What school did you attend? When someone makes a bias comment I would like to know where he is coming from. Most film historians wouldn’t care about taking shots at a certain school. Did you bother to see who Tulane beat in 1948? So Mr Expert tell me what school you attended. And where are you from? What do you know about New Orleans? The problem with Tulane is that they have all these big shots across the country and they don’t protect their school. They were one of the original founders of the SEC. Yet after Katrina the organization that they help to form didn’t offer a dime to help them. You talk of class but where was the class of the SEC. There is a lot more you don’t know about Tulane. And by way I don’t hide behind emails. If I make a comment I always give my name -Dennis Delaney. I played for Tulane in the early 1970′s and left Tulane beating LSU,Boston College twice, Pittsburgh twice, Georgia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, Air Force, Army, Navy,Kentucky, Vanderbilt twice and several others that I don’t recall. I could have went to any team in the nation especially LSU, Alabama, Notre Dame, and Nebaska. I choose Tulane because I love New Orleans and saw no reason why New Orleans couldn’t have a top division I team in their city. I left Tulane with a winning record. It is easy to be a smart ass. Try being a good historian. You need information on films I have over a thousand books and be glad to help you. So maybe that’s why an ex jock even came to read your review.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

just an FYI..."Father was a Fullback' was filmed March thru April 1949 with a release date of Sept 30th 1949 in Los Angeles..so Tulane record in 1948 would have been referenced and the upcoming season of 1949 would be just beginning and anticipated
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

Thinking about it further, do not use any Nazi reference. It will hurt not help nor is it really an relevant or appropriate. Fire Cowen, Save Tulane Football.
dennis72
Ripple

First of all I decided not to get arrested. Two reasons: My family is worried because I was never arrested or even in trouble. But last night when I went to the Islenos meeting in St Bernard a young man was seriously hurt in front because of a head on accident on his motorcycle. He was in his forties, his arms was broken in several place, a hole in his side and no telling what else. He was worrying about getting to work. I could tell by his clothes his didn't have much. He didn't realize how hurt he was. I felt so petty for letting Cowen making me forget about the importance of out things. I remembered about my nephew Zeke (Anthony Bondio Jr) who died of a drug overdose in my old house. I remembered see his dead bobby kneeling over the bed with a needle in his arm. This boy loves Tulane and me. He even tried to be a manager at Tulane so he could somehow get into Tulane. During the Katrina homegames he would could with me to the out of town home games and go to the field to his the only equipment manager that Tulane had. During the Rice series in 2005 he talked the consession stand out of a bag of ice when they only had three on a very hot day. He did it to give ice to the railbirds for their mix drinks. He was an eagle scout yet he dad,my brother-in-law, told him that was a "fag" activity. I saw him going down and I couldn't hurt him. I loved this kid. I guess that why care so much for Tulane. This boy who I never asked to be a Tulane football was proud of me because I played for Tulane. He would introduce me to his friends"Here is my Uncle Dennis, He was a Tulane star" I always correct him and tell him that I wasn't star. You talk about the comparison to Nazi Germany as undminding my ar gument. I am not trying to be anti Jewish or disrespect this tragedy in anyway. But this is what people know. This is what Jewish people, White Anglo Protestant, Irish Catholics, African American know how discrimination. I would use what the English and Americans did to the Irish Catholics which is part of my heritage but no one knows this history. 6000 or more Irish Catholics die digging the Basin Canal in New Orleans. They came here to live the dream as American because the British wouldn't let them live as human. The drawing I ever saw of a human being depicted as an ape was a Irish man in an English cartoon. Yet these Irish that came and died in New Orleans were not honored by the City they helped by digging a Canal that lead to the Lake. So when the river pass would close because a lack of dregging the canal enable the city to continue to operate. Yet until the 80's no was dedicated any monument to these men. When the Irish Cultural Society did they didn't have enough to build a proper monument. So all these Irish got was a small Celtic Cross. But who wants to honor Irish Catholics. Do you think if I compared what happened to the Irish would bother anyone in Cowen administration or the Tulane Board. I could use what I witnessed happen to African Americans but this has been abused so much that it wouldn't mean anything. But people know what happen in Nazi Germany. It's not about Germans. It about corrupt power. My great great grandfather was German. His brother "Adolph Gustave Ricks" was the acting Mayor for New Orleans at the end of WWI. Image having a German as Mayor when we were fighting the German. It's the Germans who helped feed Louisiana during the colonial days. My Germans moved here during the 1850's. They were involved in Business. Germans were wanted all over the colonial world because of their work ethic. But because of a nut and its own people unwillingness to see his evil Germans are still looked down on. Because of Tulane's presidents and Board Tulane football is looked down upon. So I won't push it until I get arrested but I will where a shirt that people understand. When I worked for Lockheed Martin I had to look at a film called "Leverging Differences" In the film everyone was looking at the white guy in the audience and telling him how to treat them. So a black person , a woman , a hispanic , an Oriental would tell you how to treate them. In other words what is politically correct. Well I had already seen this film once. But right people before I saw it the second time I was waiting to see it. I was extremely tired because I had to watch a female mechanic put togeter some brackets for the tank. As an inspector I knew that if a person is mad they make mistakes. She was mad at her fellow workers. So I was beat. So while I'm sitting 20 step away from the Director of Quality Office I doozed off. So the Director woke me up. She was very pro production(she lived with a production manager). Sometimes when I fought with her brother (a production supervisor) over the quality of the work his crew presented he would call her and she would call my supervisor. He would come and try to get me to change my mind. Anyway after she woke me up she contacted my quality foreman. He was there before I could see they film and asked me why I was there so early. Anyway I saw the film again and the next day one of my supervisors was laughing because I got my other supervisor in trouble. So I walked in the office and told my supervisor that I understand that he got in trouble because my director found me sleeping. So I said loudly so my foreman could her me that if I ever have to sit throught that film again I would suit the company for discrimination. I said" Where in the film is the fat bald headed red-neck telling the rest how to treat him" I said" I meet lots of very nice people that fit this description that are not racist or bias in any way. How come we don't care about him?" I then asked them to get me the phone number of who made us look at this film. So they gave it to me and I called them. I asked them the same question and they told me that the film was producted in Denver. So I got that number and called them. I told the woman who producted this film my concerns. She agreed that this needed to be included. In two years a white guy was put on the poster for this. You have to act if you want something done who cares if you look like a fool. I'm declared a fool because I played for Tulane. I was a two time all state players. I was the most valuable lineman in the state in my classification which was the highest in the stare. I was a quality players. But when I say I played for Tulane it's like I couldn 't go nowhere's else. Jews in Germany were important people in German Society but because of a nut they were reduced to nothing. That why I using the comparision. I think I even had a tiny strain of Jewish in my background from Alsac, France.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Good that you made this decision not to get arrested. The best thing now is just to wear that fire Cowen shirt so people know how we feel.
msdos
Swell

I'm not quite sure I follow your rationale, but anytime you talk about the Nazis, the only thing that comes to people's mind is genocide.
sader24
Tsunami

What he's saying is that Germans were once a proud people and the actions of the Nazi party supercede anything positive Germans have done or will do. Germans who were once proud to be German had to feel ashamed to be German during and after the war. Dennis is saying that he played for a top 30 SEC caliber program that competed with and beat big schools and he wants to be proud of that but when he tells people he played for Tulane or if others tell people he played at Tulane he's looked at as though he plays in today's Tulane program (a joke) instead of the real program he played in. I had a similar experience in the opposite direction. I played bball at Brother Martin and my 1st 4 years we were maybe the worst Bball program in the state in 5a. We got a good coach my last year and were pretty good, not great. However through the next decade BM won 3 state champiionshps and had 2 runner ups. Over the last 6 years whenever I told anyone I played bball at BM they tell me, "You must have been really good, that's one of the best programs in the state." I get lumped in with the success b/c I played for a certain coach and I'm not going to lie it feels good and I'm proud to have been on said coach's 1st team at BM. Dennis is getting lumped in with the Toledo/Scelfo program instead of the real program he played in and it's the result of the actions of an egomaniac/tyrant. Every athlete wants to feel pride for the program they were a part of and I'm sure it's heartbreaking to have been on a team that was ranked and beat LSU in front of the biggest crowd in the history of the South at the time (86,000+) and to not be able to even feel any pride for that b/c of the actions of some fat idiot from up North who knows absolutely nothing about the history of the University or its athletic programs.