Oct 22 at the Tulane Homecoming I will be arrested

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
msdos
Swell

sader, thanks for clearing that up- makes sense

I'm going to stop following this thread, I'm real sensitive about the whole Nazi thing, and I'm the type of guy to beat a dead horse

RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:What he's saying is that Germans were once a proud people and the actions of the Nazi party supercede anything positive Germans have done or will do. Germans who were once proud to be German had to feel ashamed to be German during and after the war. Dennis is saying that he played for a top 30 SEC caliber program that competed with and beat big schools and he wants to be proud of that but when he tells people he played for Tulane or if others tell people he played at Tulane he's looked at as though he plays in today's Tulane program (a joke) instead of the real program he played in. I had a similar experience in the opposite direction. I played bball at Brother Martin and my 1st 4 years we were maybe the worst Bball program in the state in 5a. We got a good coach my last year and were pretty good, not great. However through the next decade BM won 3 state champiionshps and had 2 runner ups. Over the last 6 years whenever I told anyone I played bball at BM they tell me, "You must have been really good, that's one of the best programs in the state." I get lumped in with the success b/c I played for a certain coach and I'm not going to lie it feels good and I'm proud to have been on said coach's 1st team at BM. Dennis is getting lumped in with the Toledo/Scelfo program instead of the real program he played in and it's the result of the actions of an egomaniac/tyrant. Every athlete wants to feel pride for the program they were a part of and I'm sure it's heartbreaking to have been on a team that was ranked and beat LSU in front of the biggest crowd in the history of the South at the time (86,000+) and to not be able to even feel any pride for that b/c of the actions of some fat idiot from up North who knows absolutely nothing about the history of the University or its athletic programs.
Couldn't have said it better. Also, its a real good point that should be brought up to other ex-athletes. Especially ones that had good achievements (1979 football, 1998 football, 2002 football, women's basketball, 2001 and 2005 baseball, etc)
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
dennis72
Ripple

Obviously the word Nazi is a problem. I don't have to used the word Nazi or reference anything sounding Jewish that might offend some undeserving people. The only reason I thought of this is because when I was playing one of Tulane's biggest supporters was a Jewish man named Ben Weiner who owned a furniture store of the same name. Not only did he contribute lots of his money to the program, he hired athelics for summer jobs. It was a kind and generous man. How would he feel about his contributions being wasted by men and women who operate like roaches in the dark. Someone needs to turn the lights on these people. I don't need the word Nazi but I wish the people insinuating that I am anti-Jewish or anti any other people or relligion come up with something that is not merely laughed at by the Administration. I wouldn't use a symbol of a clown for Cowen because he identifies with that. Everytime he wears green hair I think of a clown. Anyway I will think of something that highlights several cases of the abuse of power by despotic regimes. The is about persecution. I was persecuted because I played football at Tulane. If it wasn't for my love of New Orleans I would have said the hell with Tulane. But everytime I pass the LSU National Championship banner on a New Orleans hospital building I want to puke. This is suppose to be a state building not LSU's property. And to me it like Nazi banners all over the city I love. I don't hate LSU I just don't want to be taken over by them. When was the last time you've seen a Tulane banner up in other parts of the city. Losing High schools have more respect than Tulane.
dennis72
Ripple

To all that were worried about the Nazi comparision don't worry I don't intend to use it. I thought about it and because there is a slim chance that a Holocaust survivor or their children might be at the game I wouldn't want to cause them more pain. However the next time someone gives advise or critism try and give an alternative. The Tulane fan base have solve their problems by giving up. They give up their financial support for the football team, they give up their tickets and they give up threads. Giving up is not the solution. Cowen loves to see people giving up unless of course it's money then he wants giving. I'm looking for solutions to the problems and would request that you use that mind of your for solutions. But I do intend to have a visual protest. Anyone has a problem with me comparing Cowan and his board to Roaches. I don't this is a peta issue. Now the roaches might have a problem with this. So when I turn on the lights I'll have to make sure they don't have weapons. When was the last time you've seen a Tulane shirt in the city of New Orleans. If they ever bring back "Where's Waldo they could change it to "Where's Tulane". The biggest sign that Tulane is insignificant is when I went to the last Tulane/LSU game no one care enough to bad mouth me on the people I was with. We even got invited to eat with some. This wouldn't have happened in 1973.
RobertM320
Green Wave

dennis72 wrote:To all that were worried about the Nazi comparision don't worry I don't intend to use it. I thought about it and because there is a slim chance that a Holocaust survivor or their children might be at the game I wouldn't want to cause them more pain. However the next time someone gives advise or critism try and give an alternative. The Tulane fan base have solve their problems by giving up. They give up their financial support for the football team, they give up their tickets and they give up threads. Giving up is not the solution. Cowen loves to see people giving up unless of course it's money then he wants giving. I'm looking for solutions to the problems and would request that you use that mind of your for solutions. But I do intend to have a visual protest. Anyone has a problem with me comparing Cowan and his board to Roaches. I don't this is a peta issue. Now the roaches might have a problem with this. So when I turn on the lights I'll have to make sure they don't have weapons. When was the last time you've seen a Tulane shirt in the city of New Orleans. If they ever bring back "Where's Waldo they could change it to "Where's Tulane". The biggest sign that Tulane is insignificant is when I went to the last Tulane/LSU game no one care enough to bad mouth me on the people I was with. We even got invited to eat with some. This wouldn't have happened in 1973.
Dennis, we feel for you. Even more so because you were part of the teams of heroes we cheered for. You ask for alternatives, so let me ask you this. Its obvious we need to get this in the public eye. If someone in the media, lets say an Ed Daniels or John Deshazier were to do a story about this, would you be willing to be interviewed and let them know publicly how Cowen's lack of commitment has affected your achievements? That you can no longer feel proud of what you accomplished, because of what Cowen and Dickson have done? Would you be willing to talk to them about that? And do you know of other former players that may also feel the same way? Its you guys that we need to back us. To help give us some validity. It would show the public we're not just making this up.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
waveclem
Surge

Dennis, I never heard of you and have never seen you play. That's mainly because you were before my time. BUT........ you are now my newest favorite Tulane football player of all time!!! I agree with Robert. We need more ex-athletes to voice their displeasure.
DrBox
Riptide

I thought that had happened. I thought Bobby Duhon, maybe Hontas and a few others got fed up and had a sit-down with Rick Dickson last year or early this year.
JTLiuzza
Swell

DrBox wrote:I thought that had happened. I thought Bobby Duhon, maybe Hontas and a few others got fed up and had a sit-down with Rick Dickson last year or early this year.
I remember hearing something about that as well. They were sitting down with the wrong guy.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RobertM320
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:
DrBox wrote:I thought that had happened. I thought Bobby Duhon, maybe Hontas and a few others got fed up and had a sit-down with Rick Dickson last year or early this year.
I remember hearing something about that as well. They were sitting down with the wrong guy.
I thought about Roch Hontas myself. He was in school the same 4 years I was. I'd love to see him get involved, but I figured he would hesitate because he works for Tulane Medical Center. We really do need to get more ex-athletes involved.
dennis72
Ripple

I've been out of town last week so I didn't see your post. I would be glad to sit with any reporter and tell what I feel as a former player. As far as other players talking I think we could probably get some. The 70's players are now talking to each other. This has never happened before. Many are coming to the Homecoming. Let me tell you what kind of pride they had. I talked to two of Pittman's boys that Ellender shrewed around. He tried to run them off. In pre-spring you knew who they were trying to run off by how much you would almost die by being in same line with them. Yet these two guys who never played but were used by Ellender for dummies are as proud of the LSU win and the winning seasons as I was. And they should be. Because they were part of the win and much as I was. In fact when I had a signature ball signed right before the 1973 LSU game (because I knew we were going to win) I got everyone on the team to sign including the players that Ellender tried to run off. Their examples of courage under fire encouraged me to be stronger. Incidently they still pull for Tulane even though they were schrewed. On another note. I tried to find an artist to put my protest concept on a Shirt. Well, neither the Shirt shops or the tattoo artist can do it. I will look for an artist but that going to cost too much for me to do it by homecoming which really sucks. There is an artist in Slidell that can do it but his business wasn't open today. His work is great but maybe out of my price range. Anyway I'll find out the price and find a way to do it. I'm just sorry I can't do it for the homecoming. I just wanted to do something to turn the lights on their roach like activities . Maybe when I get it done I can put the art work on line that might cover a broader group of people. I hate not being able to keep a promise but 29 years working for the Space Program didn't leave me with a good pension. So I just have to find a good retirement job so I can do things I want to. Poverty sucks. I'll work on that also. I only retired so I wouldn't have to kick an LSU supervisor's ass and lose my retirement. The price you pay for being a Tulane Football Player. Sometimes I feel like an alien. It's like I fell asleep and woke up in the city I was born and all of a sudden there is a LSU National Championship Banners on public buildings. Did I wake up in the "Frenze World" ? What's next? The citizens of New Orleans walking around like the "The Night of the Dead" zombies wearing LSU Shirts." If that's the case shooting them in the head won't kill them. I must have died and went to hell. I just don't know that I'm dead already.
RobertM320
Green Wave

dennis72 wrote:I've been out of town last week so I didn't see your post. I would be glad to sit with any reporter and tell what I feel as a former player. As far as other players talking I think we could probably get some. The 70's players are now talking to each other. This has never happened before. Many are coming to the Homecoming. Let me tell you what kind of pride they had. I talked to two of Pittman's boys that Ellender shrewed around. He tried to run them off. In pre-spring you knew who they were trying to run off by how much you would almost die by being in same line with them. Yet these two guys who never played but were used by Ellender for dummies are as proud of the LSU win and the winning seasons as I was. And they should be. Because they were part of the win and much as I was. In fact when I had a signature ball signed right before the 1973 LSU game (because I knew we were going to win) I got everyone on the team to sign including the players that Ellender tried to run off. Their examples of courage under fire encouraged me to be stronger. Incidently they still pull for Tulane even though they were schrewed. On another note. I tried to find an artist to put my protest concept on a Shirt. Well, neither the Shirt shops or the tattoo artist can do it. I will look for an artist but that going to cost too much for me to do it by homecoming which really sucks. There is an artist in Slidell that can do it but his business wasn't open today. His work is great but maybe out of my price range. Anyway I'll find out the price and find a way to do it. I'm just sorry I can't do it for the homecoming. I just wanted to do something to turn the lights on their roach like activities . Maybe when I get it done I can put the art work on line that might cover a broader group of people. I hate not being able to keep a promise but 29 years working for the Space Program didn't leave me with a good pension. So I just have to find a good retirement job so I can do things I want to. Poverty sucks. I'll work on that also. I only retired so I wouldn't have to kick an LSU supervisor's ass and lose my retirement. The price you pay for being a Tulane Football Player. Sometimes I feel like an alien. It's like I fell asleep and woke up in the city I was born and all of a sudden there is a LSU National Championship Banners on public buildings. Did I wake up in the "Frenze World" ? What's next? The citizens of New Orleans walking around like the "The Night of the Dead" zombies wearing LSU Shirts." If that's the case shooting them in the head won't kill them. I must have died and went to hell. I just don't know that I'm dead already.
Dennis, my friend, you have eased my soul. I thought I was one of the only ones who felt like this. I always have people ask me why I don't support LSU. They're the state team, people say. But I just can't. Glad to know I've got company.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OUG
Riptide

Guys, I would once again reiterate that we should focus on achievable goals.

Scott Cowen is not going to be fired by his board over athletics performance. That doesn't even happen at big schools where board members support athletics.

Rick Dickson can be though. If we want change, lets concentrate our messaging on that.

Grassroots movements need to focus on acheivable goals to demonstrate their effectiveness and grow in size and power. One guy comparing the University President to Hitler is a nutjob to be ignored. 200 guys standing behind a banner with a dollar figure on it is something that will get the gears turning in Gibson and the printing presses rolling at the TP.
waverider
Ripple

Dennis, I know you well, and at the next Greenbacker meeting, will remind you who I am...I have heard first hand the stories of your playing days and I can't help but dream of what being a fan was like in those days...Sure, I was alive, though young, during 3 victories over lsu, and I saw Louisiana Jones lead a team to a near 4th victory...Guys like Roch Hontas, Steve Foley and yourself are like folk-lore these days...I think you bring up an excellent point...There are young fans that don't even know what Tulane once was to even imagine being "there" again...I think the idea of getting former athletes, from all sports, to come together and demand that they get back to what they helped build...

And I agree with OUG...I think there is too much focus on Cowen when those are fruitless endeavors...The real problem is RickDick and if Cowen was sincere, I believe, he did say Dickson's future at Tulane was also tied to football success...
DrBox
Riptide

OUG wrote:
Rick Dickson can be though. If we want change, lets concentrate our messaging on that.

Grassroots movements need to focus on acheivable goals to demonstrate their effectiveness and grow in size and power. One guy comparing the University President to Hitler is a nutjob to be ignored. 200 guys standing behind a banner with a dollar figure on it is something that will get the gears turning in Gibson and the printing presses rolling at the TP.
Agree
RWR
Swell

DrBox wrote:
OUG wrote:

Agree
You couldn't be more wrong. SC hired Scelfo over RR and he called for the review coming off a bowl win. He doesn't want athletics overshadowing academics.
He doesn't understand that it would shine the light. RD can't get another job so he follows SC's directions.
Mike V
Ripple

First, I want Dennis Delaney on my side when we go to war.

Second, it is my understanding that Tulane was ranked #1 preseason in football before the 1949 season. Eighteen months later, the school voted to de-emphasize athletics--one of several "put the gun in your mouth and pull the trigger" moves. Others were turning down the 1925 Rose Bowl, dropping out of the SEC, etc., etc.

And I will take Dennis's lead. My name if Mike Veron. I live and work in Lake Charles. I can easily be reached by anyone who wants to compliment me, insult me, or commiserate with me.

And I have loved Tulane football/athletics since I enrolled there in 1968 and became close friends with guys on the football team.

Roll Wave!
IM42lane
Swell

Mike:

Congrats on your letter. I am all for it. I was 2 years behind you at Tulane.

KEEP IT UP --- you have a lot of help out here!!!

Sincerely,

"Pete" Madere

P.S. -- Can you get Rick Kingrea (in Fairhope, Alabama) to join us when we go to war?

Mike V wrote:First, I want Dennis Delaney on my side when we go to war.

Second, it is my understanding that Tulane was ranked #1 preseason in football before the 1949 season. Eighteen months later, the school voted to de-emphasize athletics--one of several "put the gun in your mouth and pull the trigger" moves. Others were turning down the 1925 Rose Bowl, dropping out of the SEC, etc., etc.

And I will take Dennis's lead. My name if Mike Veron. I live and work in Lake Charles. I can easily be reached by anyone who wants to compliment me, insult me, or commiserate with me.

And I have loved Tulane football/athletics since I enrolled there in 1968 and became close friends with guys on the football team.

Roll Wave!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere