Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Just heard Turtle Thomas on the list. He fits the Dannen profile of hiring a coach with previous head coaching experience. Also has La ties.
And a well known dirty recruiter and all around punk!
must be a "snappin' turtle"

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Regarding AC lack of Head Coaching Experience..Tulane could do what that nutty University did....they hired a High School Girls Basketball Coach to be their next Varsity Mens Basketball Coach....he had some success, he won a National Title, when his Texas Western Team beat Kentucky and Don Haskins never looked for another job
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

Show Me wrote:Just heard Turtle Thomas on the list. He fits the Dannen profile of hiring a coach with previous head coaching experience. Also has La ties.
Thomas would a joke. He did nothing at FIU. We do not need retreads. We do not need someone who "knows Louisiana" - we need to nationally recruit in baseball.
Last time, what we needed was a solid coach. We got that in Pierce. Dannen hired a solid proven volleyball coach...that was the right move because the program was in shambles.
This time we are actually in a position to take a chance on someone who could be a stud. Thomas or the guy fired at Bama would be backtracking. tom Walter is in that same category.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

After speaking with some concerned parents I'm just realizing that for some of their kids this will be their 4th new head baseball coach since they have been at Tulane. (Jones, Gautreaux, Pierce and ????). I know some will say Gaut wasn't a head coach but to the players on the team he was. The program needs some stability. Every time you change coaches your recruiting is negatively impacted. And with the money situation at Tulane you have even more obstacles. We have had only two freshmen impact players this past season. Now with another head coaching change there's no telling what impact it will have on transfers and recruiting for next season. TD needs to make the right move ASAP.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:After speaking with some concerned parents I'm just realizing that for some of their kids this will be their 4th new head baseball coach since they have been at Tulane. (Jones, Gautreaux, Pierce and ????). I know some will say Gaut wasn't a head coach but to the players on the team he was. The program needs some stability. Every time you change coaches your recruiting is negatively impacted. And with the money situation at Tulane you have even more obstacles. We have had only two freshmen impact players this past season. Now with another head coaching change there's no telling what impact it will have on transfers and recruiting for next season. TD needs to make the right move ASAP.
I'd be shocked if we didn't have a press conference next Friday.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:After speaking with some concerned parents I'm just realizing that for some of their kids this will be their 4th new head baseball coach since they have been at Tulane. (Jones, Gautreaux, Pierce and ????). I know some will say Gaut wasn't a head coach but to the players on the team he was. The program needs some stability. Every time you change coaches your recruiting is negatively impacted. And with the money situation at Tulane you have even more obstacles. We have had only two freshmen impact players this past season. Now with another head coaching change there's no telling what impact it will have on transfers and recruiting for next season. TD needs to make the right move ASAP.
You can't make stability a top concern. That gave us Scelfo. Still, stability is one of the ancillary benefits of AC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's laughable the scare tactics some are trying to drum up to say just hire AC. TD knows what he is doing and he's not scared. He's got a great job to offer and plenty of great choices to pick from. AC is a competitor and has no trouble fighting for the job. It's one of the reasons he has a good chance to get it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
You can't make stability a top concern. That gave us Scelfo. Still, stability is one of the ancillary benefits of AC.
Scelfo was 1,000,000 % obvious the wrong choice at that time. That blunder was 18 years ago and shouldn't be used as a negative for someone today who may want to stay for 10 or more years. Scelfo's hiring in 1998 under another admin has absolutely nothing to do with the current baseball opening. Doesn't even belong in the conversation.
Stability is just one of a number of concerns of some parents. Some are paying big money to keep their kids here. It's unsettling because each change brings a different philosophy. Baseball coaches are much different than football and basketball. There's a lot job less movement for baseball. Here we are going on our 4th head coach in four years.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The big Atlanta baseball showcase is happening as I write this. AC is in Atlanta recruiting for LSU. Tulane needs to act fast and get someone representing Tulane down there. It's one of the best grounds to watch potential recruits live against good competition.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Every coach in the hunt for our job will be represented there . No problem.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

This is DEFINITELY becoming Troy Dannen's athletic department. He will have hired 4 coaches in major sports without any of them having coached a single game at Tulane. It really is a remarkable set of circumstances.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Every coach in the hunt for our job will be represented there . No problem.
Need Dannen down there as well to hassen the process.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll trust TD on that.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Every coach in the hunt for our job will be represented there . No problem.
Need Dannen down there as well to hasten the process.
I'm sure Dannen or Burke would be in Atlanta if it means meeting multiple candidates. They've done good jobs with the hiring process in the past 7 months, no need to fear it's going to change this time around.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

Bobby Valentine resurfaces! He's a Dannen type for sure!
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... story.html
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bobby lives in and grew up in Stamford, CT. He's currently the AD at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT and also has his Bobby V's Restaurant and Bobby Valentine's Hitting Academy here in Stamford. I've thought about Bobby as a college coach, and just don't see it. Especially if it involves moving as far from here as New Orleans.

And I have to say, his personality would not play well in the Big Easy.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

Some really mediocre names seem to be interested..not unexpected considering it's very good job. TD will have a lot of noise to sift through in this search.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Has anyone consulted Winwave about the open position? After all he is a member of the advisory committee and who better to advise Dannen than someone that bitched and moaned about almost every aspect of Tulane Athletics. From TAF baseball contributions to the CERTAINTY that no stadium of ANYKIND would fit on campus. Yep those attorney skills will fit well in decision advisement.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote:This is DEFINITELY becoming Troy Dannen's athletic department. He will have hired 4 coaches in major sports without any of them having coached a single game at Tulane. It really is a remarkable set of circumstances.
It's not so much a remarkable circumstance as it was the product of Dickson having multiple major programs on the verge of collapse.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DaveBrownStreak wrote:Has anyone consulted Winwave about the open position? After all he is a member of the advisory committee and who better to advise Dannen than someone that bitched and moaned about almost every aspect of Tulane Athletics. From TAF baseball contributions to the CERTAINTY that no stadium of ANYKIND would fit on campus. Yep those attorney skills will fit well in decision advisement.
Bitching and moaning was the right answer, as we know in retrospect that everything that was being done before Dannen was disastrously wrong.

I guess that makes you a gullible loser.
wave97
Swell

Show Me wrote:Bobby Valentine resurfaces! He's a Dannen type for sure!
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... story.html
WHY?
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Scelfo was 1,000,000 % obvious the wrong choice at that time. That blunder was 18 years ago and shouldn't be used as a negative for someone today who may want to stay for 10 or more years. Scelfo's hiring in 1998 under another admin has absolutely nothing to do with the current baseball opening. Doesn't even belong in the conversation.
Stability is just one of a number of concerns of some parents. Some are paying big money to keep their kids here. It's unsettling because each change brings a different philosophy. Baseball coaches are much different than football and basketball. There's a lot job less movement for baseball. Here we are going on our 4th head coach in four years.
Like I said, stability is an ancillary benefit, but it cannot be a reason. Yes Scelfo was an outrageous choice, but the purported reason was "he won't leave." Neither are parents' opinions relevant criteria. Heck Pierce was our third in a year. And even if we get AC, whom I support, it will be a different system, etc. so that level of instability will occur no matter who we get.
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

I think AC would do a great job here. (If we can get him)
He had a lot to do with LSU's recent success.

As far as HC experience.
Skip Bertman was not a College HC until he got to LSU. I think he did OK.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

CoachBrockhoff wrote:I think AC would do a great job here. (If we can get him)

As far as HC experience.
Skip was an assistant at Miami....prior to Skip, I think the Football Equipment Manager was the HC at LSU...and I am not kidding !!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
CoachBrockhoff wrote:I think AC would do a great job here. (If we can get him)

As far as HC experience.
Skip was an assistant at Miami....prior to Skip, I think the Football Equipment Manager was the HC at LSU...and I am not kidding !!!!
In baseball today the paid assistants do most of the recruiting, coaching and work. Had DP stayed, losing Sean Allen would have been a big blow to him. He knows his value and went out and got him to follow him to Texas for the 3rd straight job.
The HC is more of a manager and organizer.
Tulane Class of 1981