Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

I didn't have a problem with the hire, I have a problem with ppl writing off one of the greatest players to play here bc of a few heat of the moment tweets that were not from him. I have no knowledge about the phone call or lack thereof to Cannizaro.

Show Me
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:Sad that we have a couple people on here who seem hell bent on trying to make Troy Dannen look bad. While I do feel AC will be a good coach, you have to be crazy to think he is close to the candidate of Jewett at this time. Hiring someone with 2 years of coaching experience over the Top Asst in the country would have reaked of insider politics.
Dannen's done it to himself. Remember the embarrassment on national TV with Conroy finding out from the stands during the game that he'd been fired in a game he went on to win.
Common sense tells you call back one of THE greatest players in Tulane history. Dannen was never going to hire AC. Riser would have been hired ahead of him.
greenphantom
Swell

sader24 wrote:I didn't have a problem with the hire, I have a problem with ppl writing off one of the greatest players to play here bc of a few heat of the moment tweets that were not from him. I have no knowledge about the phone call or lack thereof to Cannizaro.
Unless I missed something, I didn't see anyone writing off AC or making him responsible for the tweets. There were a few people though who were trying to sluff it off as no big deal. Those same people now are trying to use smoke screens to throw heat onto TD to get the attention away from the tweets. Sad that people are stooping to that level. ShowMe in particular seems to have a serious axe to grind.
Profoundwizard
Swell

greenphantom wrote:
sader24 wrote:I didn't have a problem with the hire, I have a problem with ppl writing off one of the greatest players to play here bc of a few heat of the moment tweets that were not from him. I have no knowledge about the phone call or lack thereof to Cannizaro.
Unless I missed something, I didn't see anyone writing off AC or making him responsible for the tweets. There were a few people though who were trying to sluff it off as no big deal. Those same people now are trying to use smoke screens to throw heat onto TD to get the attention away from the tweets. Sad that people are stooping to that level. ShowMe in particular seems to have a serious axe to grind.
It is no big deal. How would it be a big deal? And there are people writing him off, saying we shouldn't consider hiring him in the future because of it.
Last edited by Profoundwizard on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Vlvwave wrote:It is indeed factual. Both found out via social media and associates. Any potential coach at any school in any sport deserves better than that. Given what both gave to this University in the past, they CERTAINLY deserve better. Agreed...classless.

With that said, though I would have preferred Andy, Coach Jewett will have my full support.

It seems that Dannen is severing himself from the past and while that is understandable to a point, he is alienating a very decorated past of former players and coaches. Again, not so much in the fact that neither Andy nor Matt were hired, but by his treatment of them during and after the interview process. Many of these guys are very wealthy and influential...and I can't imagine checkbooks being opened when the calls start coming in to them when it comes time to raise money.

Most everyone seems to believe that Dannen is the second coming. We shall see. None of these hires have a win or loss next to their names yet and yet he is being rejoiced. Let's hope these hires work out, especially for the baseball program. If they don't, we are back at square one and he will have sacrificed many important ties to the past.
I know many former athletes that Rick Dickson alienated. He wanted nothing to do with athletes that were prior to his tenure, and the few non-revenue sports athletes that I've met that were under RD's watch despised the man like nothing else. So I don't think it's Troy Dannen that's alienating the former athletes, though some of the former teammates of Andy Cannizaro may be disappointed he didn't get hired. I would be shocked if more than a handful of our letter-winners don't support and aren't encouraged by Troy Dannen.

And, despite beating this to death in the press and other threads I'll re-state it here: Coach Conroy met with Troy Dannen before the AAC tournament, and knew he was getting fired. According to some (which makes it hearsay) he told his team as much before the tournament started. To think he found out by hearing it from some spectators during a game is naive. The ESPN folks needed something to talk about, so they brought up a story that ran in the local papers at least 5 days earlier. ESPN created the story, and the hub-bub around it because there was NOTHING sexy about Tulane winning games in the AAC tournament without that story being tied to their run.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
Not at all. Just exposing the truth. When people called out Cannizaro for being classless I brought up the no phone call. I wasn't going to post that until I read the classless bullcrap.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:Sad that we have a couple people on here who seem hell bent on trying to make Troy Dannen look bad. While I do feel AC will be a good coach, you have to be crazy to think he is close to the candidate of Jewett at this time. Hiring someone with 2 years of coaching experience over the Top Asst in the country would have reaked of insider politics.
Dannen's done it to himself. Remember the embarrassment on national TV with Conroy finding out from the stands during the game that he'd been fired in a game he went on to win.
Common sense tells you call back one of THE greatest players in Tulane history. Dannen was never going to hire AC. Riser would have been hired ahead of him.
The reports were that AC was getting the job had Jewett not accepted
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Vlvwave wrote:It is indeed factual. Both found out via social media and associates. Any potential coach at any school in any sport deserves better than that. Given what both gave to this University in the past, they CERTAINLY deserve better. Agreed...classless.

With that said, though I would have preferred Andy, Coach Jewett will have my full support.

It seems that Dannen is severing himself from the past and while that is understandable to a point, he is alienating a very decorated past of former players and coaches. Again, not so much in the fact that neither Andy nor Matt were hired, but by his treatment of them during and after the interview process. Many of these guys are very wealthy and influential...and I can't imagine checkbooks being opened when the calls start coming in to them when it comes time to raise money.

Most everyone seems to believe that Dannen is the second coming. We shall see. None of these hires have a win or loss next to their names yet and yet he is being rejoiced. Let's hope these hires work out, especially for the baseball program. If they don't, we are back at square one and he will have sacrificed many important ties to the past.
I know many former athletes that Rick Dickson alienated. He wanted nothing to do with athletes that were prior to his tenure, and the few non-revenue sports athletes that I've met that were under RD's watch despised the man like nothing else. So I don't think it's Troy Dannen that's alienating the former athletes, though some of the former teammates of Andy Cannizaro may be disappointed he didn't get hired. I would be shocked if more than a handful of our letter-winners don't support and aren't encouraged by Troy Dannen.

And, despite beating this to death in the press and other threads I'll re-state it here: Coach Conroy met with Troy Dannen before the AAC tournament, and knew he was getting fired. According to some (which makes it hearsay) he told his team as much before the tournament started. To think he found out by hearing it from some spectators during a game is naive. The ESPN folks needed something to talk about, so they brought up a story that ran in the local papers at least 5 days earlier. ESPN created the story, and the hub-bub around it because there was NOTHING sexy about Tulane winning games in the AAC tournament without that story being tied to their run.
BS. Then why did Dannen issue a public apology to Conroy.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... logiz.html
Last edited by Show Me on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenphantom
Swell

Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
Not at all. Just exposing the truth. When people called out Cannizaro for being classless I brought up the no phone call. I wasn't going to post that until I read the classless bullcrap.
The tweets are factual. Your assertions are gossip. Huge difference
Show Me
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
You are wrong on this one.
RobertM320
Green Wave

How many times have we seen people change their minds? Didn't Bobby Cremins leave Georgia Tech to take a HC job elsewhere, only to change his mind a couple of days later? What about last season in NBA free agency, with DeMarcus Cousins? Until the person puts name to paper, nothing's final. And even then sometimes its not.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenphantom
Swell

Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
And you are clearly fanatical and don't seem credible. You say you are trying to expose the truth but it sure sounds like there is an axe to grind. I know nothing about the timing of a phone call but I know for a fact that AC was a very serious candidate and was not just a courtesy interview.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:How many times have we seen people change their minds? Didn't Bobby Cremins leave Georgia Tech to take a HC job elsewhere, only to change his mind a couple of days later? What about last season in NBA free agency, with DeMarcus Cousins? Until the person puts name to paper, nothing's final. And even then sometimes its not.
Deandre Jordan*

But your point remains. I guess the question is what is the SOP here? I would think you probably tell the other candidates that you're going in another direction before you sign the contract if you have reached a tentative agreement . I could be wrong on that. Because if you've reached an agreement there will be leaks whether the dotted line gets signed or not
Show Me
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
And you are clearly fanatical and don't seem credible. You say you are trying to expose the truth but it sure sounds like there is an axe to grind. I know nothing about the timing of a phone call but I know for a fact that AC was a very serious candidate and was not just a courtesy interview.
I'm right on this. I have no axe to grind. I'm aggravated with the treatment I'm seeing by Tulane fans here against Cannizaro. I felt it was important to get that out. Look unless you know the people I know you can't be convinced. I'm not trying to convince you. Just thought it was important to Show the other side.
I'll leave with this. I want nothing more than for Jewett and every other Tulane coach to have great success. I'd love nothing more than for Dannen to be a grand slam AD. I just think people should know the guy is still learning on the job. He's never hired a coach before. He's never fired a coach before. He's going to make mistakes. No one is perfect. He's going to piss off some people and donors. That's expected. It's time to end this nonsense. We are all Tulane fans here and want the school to win.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

BS. Then why did Dannen issue a public apology to Conroy.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... logiz.html
Because the media made it into an embarrassing story, and a taking the high road was the right thing to do. Not to mention he had been made to look bad not only through the media, but to other future coaching candidates as well.

If you don't believe he was told BEFORE the AAC tournament, we have no common ground to argue. Didn't you read the stories roughly two to three WEEKS prior when Dannen was asked about Tulane Basketball he said
There isn't any question it's not meeting anyone's expectations.
We all knew Conroy was a gonner. Do you really think Coach Conroy was dumb enough to think he'd be retained after reading that?

viewtopic.php?t=8583

In this coaching search (baseball), Dannen didn't hire the easy hire that would have made a whole lot of us happy. But that's not something to start attacking him over, it's something to applaud. He's taking the tougher road in search of the candidate HE FEELS gives us the best chance to win. It's his job to make the tough decisions and ignore the pleadings of fans and alumni. I'm damned glad he takes his job seriously. You should stop the bitching over him not hiring the favorite son. Come back and pound your chest in a couple of years if it doesn't work out. I wanted Andy to get the job, too. But I'm putting my trust in a guy that was hired by Fitts and the BOA to make decisions exactly like the one he made here.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

Don't want to thread jack to basketball. No doubt everyone expected but he wasn't told otherwise Conroy would have easily been able to set the record straight. Had he won that automatic then that would have really been something.
DCT we will agree to disagree.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote:
winwave wrote:We have agreed for the most part. You are just off just off the rails here and lashing out. I haven't changed. The committee is no big deal . Just a couple of trolls here have tried to make issue of it b/c if their bitterness in not getting selected. I give you credit for being better than that.
WW, who says zebra's cannot change their stripes ? You have. Radically. Does sucking up really feel that good ? How many road trips are you angling for with the teams ? How many sideline passes are you 'counting' on ?

Of course I have. JJ took the liberty of explaining the obvious reason for that the last time you hurled this my way. I have been on these fan forums for over 10 years trying to get rid of SC/RD and it finally happened. That followed w/the hire of new President who I think is favorable to athletics. It was followed by a new Board being put in place that is athletic friendly . Then we hired an AD that I been very impressed with. He has made what I truly believe are 4 good hires. As for the committee that appointment came well after my new found happiness w/the direction of Tulane athletics. I get nothing for being on the committee. I donate my time to them. The committee is nothing like the Board. Tulane was very clear what the committee was going to be about. They wanted in person feedback on what ways to improve gameday experiences. All involved get that winning is the obvious thing but the committee is about giving practical advise to them on all other aspects. We have only met once so far. One thing that came out of that that I think will make many here happy including myself is that I think you will be able to get cold beers throughout the game and more vendors will be working the whole stadium not just the south end.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:How many times have we seen people change their minds? Didn't Bobby Cremins leave Georgia Tech to take a HC job elsewhere, only to change his mind a couple of days later? What about last season in NBA free agency, with DeMarcus Cousins? Until the person puts name to paper, nothing's final. And even then sometimes its not.
And let's not forget our own Coach Allen who left Tulane for Alabama and four days later changed his mind and stood up Alabama for Texas. Signed written contracts are binding, oral agreements to do something in the future are worthless. Dannen did nothing wrong because there was the possibility that Jewett would change his mind. The Cannizaro family got it all wrong and embarrassed themselves and have damaged Andy's career at least in the short term.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
galvezwave
Swell

At the end of the day, the job opened up 2 yeas too early for cannizaro. I believe those are TDs thoughts.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Why would TD call AC when the new guy hasn't even signed his contract yet?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Lets hope nothing happens here. Word is UCF is interested in Jewett, and if he hasn't signed, then who knows. No PC scheduled yet. However, he did change his twitter avatar to the Tulane T, so that's a good sign.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jonathan
Riptide

Where is press conference on announcement of Jewitt as head baseball coach? Something is seriously wrong here. He needs the authority and endowments of Vandy or Rice to recruit top athletes. Tulane sadly does not have the endowment to do it. We need President Fitts,Darryl Berger and Doug Hertz with the Bensons,Goldring and Glazers to get done today. I sure they are tapped out with all the millions they all have given Tulane athletics over the years. We better have the $1m buyout in our Tulane bank account in cas today. Pierce is now on Texas Athletic Directory with phone number. If not use him today with damages and legal fees and costs. Troy get serious on this with our Tulane attorneys today.No more traitors,liars and stepping stones after 24 months
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Where is press conference on announcement of Jewitt as head baseball coach? Something is seriously wrong here. He needs the authority and endowments of Vandy or Rice to recruit top athletes. Tulane sadly does not have the endowment to do it. We need President Fitts,Darryl Berger and Doug Hertz with the Bensons,Goldring and Glazers to get done today. I sure they are tapped out with all the millions they all have given Tulane athletics over the years.
Possibly, but Tulane needs to increase its endowment by at least $2 Billion ($3.2B total endowment) to be competitive (i.e. offer much better financial assistance), and, even if those families gave more, it's unlikely that they could pool that much money together for the purpose of donating it to Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bump just in case.
Many names already mentioned here still potentially could come this time around if our job becomes available.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

A new thread would be more appropriate than tacking onto a four year old 18 page thread . This 18 page thread should be moved to the Trash Bin .
Last edited by nawlinspete on Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .