Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We have agreed for the most part. You are just off just off the rails here and lashing out. I haven't changed. The committee is no big deal . Just a couple of trolls here have tried to make issue of it b/c if their bitterness in not getting selected. I give you credit for being better than that.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

sader24 wrote:
winwave wrote:Here are some facts about the search:

Facts: Riser tried to get the La. Tech job and didn't land it. That's from the AD's office at SELA. TD called their AD and asked for permission to talk to him even though he didn't need to ask for permission. Their AD really appreciated his professionalism. That's also from their AD's office. Matt just isn't ready yet. He needs to get another job and he knows it as evidenced by his attempt to get the Tech job. He needs to show he will win anywhere he goes. He applied last time and he will apply next time. He didn't pull out. This is his dream job.

Facts:
Andy didn't get a sniff big or little school at this point. He is not ready. He has to leave LSU after next year even if it's for an assistants job elsewhere so that he can show that he can do it wherever he goes. He did not pull out. His brothers tweets saying TD made the wrong choice and saying See ya Tulane were uncalled for and show how bad he and they want it. They owe TD and Tulane an apology. He wants this as it is his dream job. He will apply again.

We got a good coach. Relax and enjoy it.

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!

The Cannizaro's do not owe someone who has been at Tulane a couple of months an f'n apology. Give me a break. That is ridiculous.
Are u kidding me? The tweets were completely classless. I've been passed over for jobs in the past and I don't take to social media to call out the person who made the decision. Then when people called them out on the tweets, they had the nerve to tell them mind their own business. Really? They are the ones who took it public. The Cannizaros should be gracious that Andy, despite having limited coaching experience, was a finalist for a Regional team and lost out to what most of college baseball considered the Top Asst this year.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:We have agreed for the most part. You are just off just off the rails here and lashing out. I haven't changed. The committee is no big deal . Just a couple of trolls here have tried to make issue of it b/c if their bitterness in not getting selected. I give you credit for being better than that.
As proven out over and over no one else can have an opinion here if it's not in agreement with you. People that disagree are drunk, off the rails, or trolls.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:We have agreed for the most part. You are just off just off the rails here and lashing out. I haven't changed. The committee is no big deal . Just a couple of trolls here have tried to make issue of it b/c if their bitterness in not getting selected. I give you credit for being better than that.
As proven out over and over no one else can have an opinion here if it's not in agreement with you. People that disagree are drunk, off the rails, or trolls.
Pot calling kettle black.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
sader24 wrote:

Facts: Riser tried to get the La. Tech job and didn't land it. That's from the AD's office at SELA. TD called their AD and asked for permission to talk to him even though he didn't need to ask for permission. Their AD really appreciated his professionalism. That's also from their AD's office. Matt just isn't ready yet. He needs to get another job and he knows it as evidenced by his attempt to get the Tech job. He needs to show he will win anywhere he goes. He applied last time and he will apply next time. He didn't pull out. This is his dream job.

Facts:
Andy didn't get a sniff big or little school at this point. He is not ready. He has to leave LSU after next year even if it's for an assistants job elsewhere so that he can show that he can do it wherever he goes. He did not pull out. His brothers tweets saying TD made the wrong choice and saying See ya Tulane were uncalled for and show how bad he and they want it. They owe TD and Tulane an apology. He wants this as it is his dream job. He will apply again.

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!

The Cannizaro's do not owe someone who has been at Tulane a couple of months an f'n apology. Give me a break. That is ridiculous.
Are u kidding me? The tweets were completely classless. I've been passed over for jobs in the past and I don't take to social media to call out the person who made the decision. Then when people called them out on the tweets, they had the nerve to tell them mind their own business. Really? They are the ones who took it public. The Cannizaros should be gracious that Andy, despite having limited coaching experience, was a finalist for a Regional team and lost out to what most of college baseball considered the Top Asst this year.
Andy found out from Schlossnagle that he didn't get the job after Schloss called him to console after he saw it on social media. Dannen never gave him the common courtesy of a phone call. That's classless.
greenphantom
Swell

Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
sader24 wrote:

Facts:

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!

Andy found out from Schlossnagle that he didn't get the job after Schloss called him to console after he saw it on social media. Dannen never gave him the common courtesy of a phone call. That's classless.
First off, that is hearsay and not factual. Also, when the story broke on social media, Kushner reported that Travis Jewett had not yet signed the contract so even if true, there wasn't anything classless done on TD's part. You are not going to start turning people down until its official you are have your guy signed. Stop trying to excuse the behavior of Andy's brothers by using smoke screens. They did a dumb thing and should own it. Even some of their pals chimed in and made veiled threats to people online. I can certainly understand their disappointment but no need to slam the school and the AD for picking the top asst in the country.
Show Me
Tsunami

GP it's factual. Once Andy was ruled out he deserved a phone call. That's all. Signing is a formality. Pierce didn't sign his contract for weeks after he agreed.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I got to say if that's true, it's not cool. Andy deserves better
greenphantom
Swell

Show Me wrote:GP it's factual. Once Andy was ruled out he deserved a phone call. That's all. Signing is a formality. Pierce didn't sign his contract for weeks after he agreed.
I am 100% sure he received a phone call from TD and no signing an employment contract is not a formality. You don't have to be an attorney to know that.
Show Me
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
Show Me wrote:GP it's factual. Once Andy was ruled out he deserved a phone call. That's all. Signing is a formality. Pierce didn't sign his contract for weeks after he agreed.
I am 100% sure he received a phone call from TD and no signing an employment contract is not a formality. You don't have to be an attorney to know that.
You'd be 100% wrong.
Jonathan
Riptide

Great hire. So much better than traitor David Pierce,a loser.
Vlvwave
Ripple

It is indeed factual. Both found out via social media and associates. Any potential coach at any school in any sport deserves better than that. Given what both gave to this University in the past, they CERTAINLY deserve better. Agreed...classless.

With that said, though I would have preferred Andy, Coach Jewett will have my full support.

It seems that Dannen is severing himself from the past and while that is understandable to a point, he is alienating a very decorated past of former players and coaches. Again, not so much in the fact that neither Andy nor Matt were hired, but by his treatment of them during and after the interview process. Many of these guys are very wealthy and influential...and I can't imagine checkbooks being opened when the calls start coming in to them when it comes time to raise money.

Most everyone seems to believe that Dannen is the second coming. We shall see. None of these hires have a win or loss next to their names yet and yet he is being rejoiced. Let's hope these hires work out, especially for the baseball program. If they don't, we are back at square one and he will have sacrificed many important ties to the past.
Vlvwave
Ripple

Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
You'd be 100% wrong.
The phone call came today in the form of a voice mail...two days after the fact. Not good business!
Show Me
Tsunami

Vlvwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
You'd be 100% wrong.
The phone call came today in the form of a voice mail...two days after the fact. Not good business!
Thanks for the update. Not good at all.
Dannen reads the boards I guess he read my post and decided to call.
Bigschtick
Riptide

[quote="McWave"]My observation. I get AC would love to be the TU HC. Pay raise, alma mater, NOLA, etc. I get the guys he played with and know him personnally would like him to be the HC now. But how about this....if he truely loves TU and TU will pay him what lsu does for the same position (hitting coach and recruiting) then why not take a TJ offer to do so. Maybe the title of associate HC comes with it. If all goes well and TJ leaves in 3-4 yrs AC can walk into the HC job. Or AC stays at lsu until he gets his own HC gig and when TJ leaves in 3-4 years because it does not work out or he leaves for a better gig (in his mind), AC is a proven product. If AC truly wants the TU HC job I assume he'd take it in 3-4 yrs. he's only been in college coaching for 2 yrs. and lsu is not TU. I really enjoyed Sutter, Gautreau, etc as players but the last few years of Jones with these guys put TU in a jam. Gaut did a great recruiting job the year TU picked up Alamais and Rogers. I would like to see Gaut back in that capacity to start. I really like most of what DP did while he was here but recruiting seemed a little off. Maybe it was due to the short tenure and was picking up. Ross was coming to TU regardless. Jeremy was a great find. Spoon as well. But some of the others have not lived up to their stats. TU with limited $$$ needs strong pitching. I would like to see an excellent pitching coach to coach up mediocre talent or[/quote

I like the idea.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Profoundwizard
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:
McWave wrote:My observation. I get AC would love to be the TU HC. Pay raise, alma mater, NOLA, etc. I get the guys he played with and know him personnally would like him to be the HC now. But how about this....if he truely loves TU and TU will pay him what lsu does for the same position (hitting coach and recruiting) then why not take a TJ offer to do so. Maybe the title of associate HC comes with it. If all goes well and TJ leaves in 3-4 yrs AC can walk into the HC job. Or AC stays at lsu until he gets his own HC gig and when TJ leaves in 3-4 years because it does not work out or he leaves for a better gig (in his mind), AC is a proven product. If AC truly wants the TU HC job I assume he'd take it in 3-4 yrs. he's only been in college coaching for 2 yrs. and lsu is not TU. I really enjoyed Sutter, Gautreau, etc as players but the last few years of Jones with these guys put TU in a jam. Gaut did a great recruiting job the year TU picked up Alamais and Rogers. I would like to see Gaut back in that capacity to start. I really like most of what DP did while he was here but recruiting seemed a little off. Maybe it was due to the short tenure and was picking up. Ross was coming to TU regardless. Jeremy was a great find. Spoon as well. But some of the others have not lived up to their stats. TU with limited $$$ needs strong pitching. I would like to see an excellent pitching coach to coach up mediocre talent or[/quote

I like the idea.
Almost 0% chance that Tulane can pay him what LSU does.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:

Facts:

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!

What does the amount of time TD has been at Tulane have to do with anything?

The Cannizaro family's reaction via social media was inappropriate and classless. Period. Full stop. Don't think there's much debating that. That's irrespective of whether or not he is a great Tulane athlete or whether he was a better choice for the job. I'm sorry that Andy is being stuck with the repercussions of his family members' actions.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:And then come back if the job opens. :mrgreen:

Certainly possible as well, I won't claim to know how he feels or how he will feel in the future.
After the pain wears off, and time numbs it all, Andy Cannizaro may very well apply for the HC job again in the future. Let's say perhaps, that he takes a HC job in the next year or two at UL-X (or a Sunbelt team, or something similar). Four years from now, with three successful seasons as a HC, the Tulane job opens. Wouldn't Andy be interested then? Would we be interested after his family insulted Tulane and Troy Dannen when he wasn't hired?

All I know is that in the corporate word, bad mouthing a former employer is only second to bad mouthing one that didn't hire you.
Give me a f**ckin break. Everyone on this board has been insulting Tulane for 5 years. Also, not one coach that Troy Dannen has hired has won a game yet, so i'll wait to anoint him as the second coming of Jesus Christ while bashing a guy who has lived and breathed Tulane since he was in diapers.
Where'd you get 5 years from? I've been insulting them for well over 10 years. Meanwhile, the guy who is currently in charge and made this decision wasn't involved in anything prior to 7 months ago.

If you think we should "wait to anoint" Dannen because his hires haven't won a game yet, then you must also wait to anoint Cannizaro who has not won a single game as a coach yet either. Can't have it both ways.
nawlinspete
Riptide

WW, who says zebra's cannot change their stripes ? You have. Radically. Does sucking up really feel that good ? How many road trips are you angling for with the teams ? How many sideline passes are you 'counting' on ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
sader24 wrote: BTW there is a rather large amount of disdain for the Tulane Athletic Dept. amongst rather notable Tulane Baseball Alums that has been growing over the past couple years. They essentially believe Gautreau recruited the guys Pierce won with and Gautreau and Sutter got the shaft after holding it together while Jones had his myriad of issues. Now, that's going to probably be worse now. I truly think Cannizaro is a star and we totally blew the easiest layup hire in Tulane History b/c our AD wanted his own guy in place. I know my LSU friends who are big into LSU Baseball think we are insane.
Gautreau did recruit those guys and Pierce did coach them into winners.
But what exactly do the Tulane alumni suggest that Tulane should have done in that situation?
Okay, we could have hired Gautreau, but there were strong and reasonable arguments against doing that. And not doing that is certainly not giving Gautreau and Sutter the shaft. The Jones era was rich and strong, but it also had its last 6 years of nothing...had we moved earlier on Jones, things might have been different. But with a coach like that, we can't make a move until he wants to.
The 01 and 05 alumni are the only group of athletes who have gotten Tulane to the "highest mountain" in the last 50 years. I suspect that they believe Tulane under-respects that. They probably grudgingly understood why we hired Pierce. But here was another chance, perhaps our last chance, to reconnect with the only real winners that Tulane has produced in the last 50 years, and Tulane passed.
But that's a lot of sentiment. AC was my first choice, not because of 01, but because I think he does have the "it" factor. But it's subjective. Tulane hired the stronger resume. And that's fair.
I will also point out that what Perry Clark did in the 1990s with Tulane basketball is at least equal to CWS in baseball, considering recruiting realities. We haven't allowed that era to get a toenail back into the program. While I think Stockton's program has been in a rut for a decade, what she (and Candi Harvey did) in the 1990s, building a program that historically won 5-10 games a YEAR to the NCAAs was remarkable as well.
Tulane baseball is great.And it is Tulane baseball.
Well right. Tulane fans never want anything to change. Not that this is what you were implying, but when the basketball coaching job opened, you had people asking about Perry Clark. And during the football coaching search, you had people asking about Tommy Bowden. There is a cultural fear of change that is not productive.

So in retrospect, these same folks think hiring Pierce over Gautreau was a mistake? C'mon. Pierce was more qualified then than Jewett is now, but it's a very similar situation. And worse, it implies that if Jewett turns out to be the right choice, they'll still stew about not hiring one of their own years later.

I get the appeal for Cannizaro's candidacy and I hope we made the right decision.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

But Andy wasn't ruled out if he was the second choice pending the contract. Signing is not necessarily a formality. If the contract doesn't get signed, he's the second choice. So word gets out that Jewett is talking contract and it's likely that's how it got leaked.
Profoundwizard
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
sader24 wrote: BTW there is a rather large amount of disdain for the Tulane Athletic Dept. amongst rather notable Tulane Baseball Alums that has been growing over the past couple years. They essentially believe Gautreau recruited the guys Pierce won with and Gautreau and Sutter got the shaft after holding it together while Jones had his myriad of issues. Now, that's going to probably be worse now. I truly think Cannizaro is a star and we totally blew the easiest layup hire in Tulane History b/c our AD wanted his own guy in place. I know my LSU friends who are big into LSU Baseball think we are insane.
Gautreau did recruit those guys and Pierce did coach them into winners.
But what exactly do the Tulane alumni suggest that Tulane should have done in that situation?
Okay, we could have hired Gautreau, but there were strong and reasonable arguments against doing that. And not doing that is certainly not giving Gautreau and Sutter the shaft. The Jones era was rich and strong, but it also had its last 6 years of nothing...had we moved earlier on Jones, things might have been different. But with a coach like that, we can't make a move until he wants to.
The 01 and 05 alumni are the only group of athletes who have gotten Tulane to the "highest mountain" in the last 50 years. I suspect that they believe Tulane under-respects that. They probably grudgingly understood why we hired Pierce. But here was another chance, perhaps our last chance, to reconnect with the only real winners that Tulane has produced in the last 50 years, and Tulane passed.
But that's a lot of sentiment. AC was my first choice, not because of 01, but because I think he does have the "it" factor. But it's subjective. Tulane hired the stronger resume. And that's fair.
I will also point out that what Perry Clark did in the 1990s with Tulane basketball is at least equal to CWS in baseball, considering recruiting realities. We haven't allowed that era to get a toenail back into the program. While I think Stockton's program has been in a rut for a decade, what she (and Candi Harvey did) in the 1990s, building a program that historically won 5-10 games a YEAR to the NCAAs was remarkable as well.
Tulane baseball is great.And it is Tulane baseball.
Well right. Tulane fans never want anything to change. Not that this is what you were implying, but when the basketball coaching job opened, you had people asking about Perry Clark. And during the football coaching search, you had people asking about Tommy Bowden. There is a cultural fear of change that is not productive.

So in retrospect, these same folks think hiring Pierce over Gautreau was a mistake? C'mon. Pierce was more qualified then than Jewett is now, but it's a very similar situation. And worse, it implies that if Jewett turns out to be the right choice, they'll still stew about not hiring one of their own years later.

I get the appeal for Cannizaro's candidacy and I hope we made the right decision.
I think that's less about fear of change and more about getting a guy they have proof can win here
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
You'd be 100% wrong.
REALLY? 100% WRONG???

Then why did Larry Brown step down with a YEAR REMAINING ON HIS CONTRACT because they couldn't work out an extension?

Hiring agreements are broken often between when the verbal agreement takes place and when the details of the contract are negotiated. I've seen it happen many times in sports, and in my own personal life. I've been in a position both when I was seeking a job, or trying to close a sale, when I couldn't get an answer for weeks because the employer/prospect had selected someone else but was working out the contract and didn't want to tell me I was #2. It happens a whole, whole lot. Maybe not as often in Academia, but it is standard procedure in many facets of business. Particularly with Hospitals and huge Healthcare Systems.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
But Andy wasn't ruled out if he was the second choice pending the contract. Signing is not necessarily a formality. If the contract doesn't get signed, he's the second choice. So word gets out that Jewett is talking contract and it's likely that's how it got leaked.
Correct. Andy was not slighted. His family certainly was not slighted. On the contrary they publically attacked the man in charge of the hiring before he had a signed, sealed and delivered contract. In fact Dannen was being respectful of his second choice in case Jewett had an unanticipated change of heart.

Dannen undoubtedly would have spoken highly of Andy to other AD's enquiring in the future. But not now. What the family did was and is inexcusable. They are not entitled or annointed as they apparently thought they were.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
greenphantom
Swell

Sad that we have a couple people on here who seem hell bent on trying to make Troy Dannen look bad. While I do feel AC will be a good coach, you have to be crazy to think he is close to the candidate of Jewett at this time. Hiring someone with 2 years of coaching experience over the Top Asst in the country would have reaked of insider politics.