Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jewett new coach

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

I held back my opinion on this topic because I thought it was a no brainer.....Man, this is the first time that TD didn't come through in my opinion. AC was the clear choice. So much upside...WOW, extremely disappointed....

That being said, welcome aboard Coach.
Pepper
Swell

I think he is a great hire. Impressive credentials. Of course I'd like to see a Greenie get the gig, I can't argue with the pick. Look forward to see him fill out his coaching staff.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
greenphantom
Swell

Wavetime wrote:I held back my opinion on this topic because I thought it was a no brainer.....Man, this is the first time that TD didn't come through in my opinion. AC was the clear choice. So much upside...WOW, extremely disappointed....

That being said, welcome aboard Coach.
What was so clear? I love AC but you have to be a Superfan to think he was an obvious choice. Anyone can recruit at LSU.
Wavetime
Swell

What was so clear (to me) was several things. AC's knowledge of the game, his local ties which favors recruiting and his huge upside. Sure he may have had a learning curve, however, we would have been hitting on all cylinders. The recruiting would have been off the charts with him and Gautreau. I'm disappointed.

However, like I said before, that's just my opinion. I'm all in for Coach Jewitt.
Jonathan
Riptide

Vandy top assistant great choice as new Tulane baseball coach. Much better than Pierce.
greenphantom
Swell

Wavetime wrote:What was so clear (to me) was several things. AC's knowledge of the game, his local ties which favors recruiting and his huge upside. Sure he may have had a learning curve, however, we would have been hitting on all cylinders. The recruiting would have been off the charts with him and Gautreau. I'm disappointed.

However, like I said before, that's just my opinion. I'm all in for Coach Jewitt.
Jewett has been coaching a lot longer than AC and been the top asst and recruiting coordinator for a school that has been better than LSU in recent years. AC still would have been a nice choice but I think Jewett is the better one.
Jonathan
Riptide

I agree. Top academics at Vandy and one of the top college baseball programs in the nation with a lot of experience. Troy selected as usual a great one.
Wavetime
Swell

greenphantom wrote:
Wavetime wrote:What was so clear (to me) was several things. AC's knowledge of the game, his local ties which favors recruiting and his huge upside. Sure he may have had a learning curve, however, we would have been hitting on all cylinders. The recruiting would have been off the charts with him and Gautreau. I'm disappointed.

Jewett has been coaching a lot longer than AC and been the top asst and recruiting coordinator for a school that has been better than LSU in recent years. AC still would have been a nice choice but I think Jewett is the better one.

I sure hope you are right. However, let's agree to disagree.
Pepper
Swell

Wavetime wrote:
greenphantom wrote:

I think it's great that we had such a talented pool to choose from. That says a lot.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Pepper wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
greenphantom wrote:

I think it's great that we had such a talented pool to choose from. That says a lot.
We have a talented Athletic Director doing the work. A breathe of fresh air after the previous 15 years.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
greenphantom wrote:

We have a talented Athletic Director doing the work. A breathe of fresh air after the previous 15 years.
This.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Here are some facts about the search:

Facts: Riser tried to get the La. Tech job and didn't land it. That's from the AD's office at SELA. TD called their AD and asked for permission to talk to him even though he didn't need to ask for permission. Their AD really appreciated his professionalism. That's also from their AD's office. Matt just isn't ready yet. He needs to get another job and he knows it as evidenced by his attempt to get the Tech job. He needs to show he will win anywhere he goes. He applied last time and he will apply next time. He didn't pull out. This is his dream job.

Facts:
Andy didn't get a sniff big or little school at this point. He is not ready. He has to leave LSU after next year even if it's for an assistants job elsewhere so that he can show that he can do it wherever he goes. He did not pull out. His brothers tweets saying TD made the wrong choice and saying See ya Tulane were uncalled for and show how bad he and they want it. They owe TD and Tulane an apology. He wants this as it is his dream job. He will apply again.

We got a good coach. Relax and enjoy it.

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TURVS71
Swell

Sometime ago, I put aside the so called implied "requirement" that we should hire coaches with Tulane connections. I never really felt that Cannizaro or Riser needed to or would get the job. No need to always feel the need that we need someone who "understands" Tulane. Pushing and submitting ideas and new improvements are more likely from an "outsider" than from a Tualne person that already knows the self imposed Tulane limits.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's something I was thinking about, as to whether or not Andy is ready to be our head coach RIGHT NOW.

Let's suppose Paul Manieri walked into Alleva's office today and said he was retiring, effective immediately. Is LSU going to hand the reins to arguably the best college baseball program in the country to Andy? My guess is no. And if he's not ready for LSU, he's not ready for us.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

winwave wrote:Here are some facts about the search:

Facts: Riser tried to get the La. Tech job and didn't land it. That's from the AD's office at SELA. TD called their AD and asked for permission to talk to him even though he didn't need to ask for permission. Their AD really appreciated his professionalism. That's also from their AD's office. Matt just isn't ready yet. He needs to get another job and he knows it as evidenced by his attempt to get the Tech job. He needs to show he will win anywhere he goes. He applied last time and he will apply next time. He didn't pull out. This is his dream job.

Facts:
Andy didn't get a sniff big or little school at this point. He is not ready. He has to leave LSU after next year even if it's for an assistants job elsewhere so that he can show that he can do it wherever he goes. He did not pull out. His brothers tweets saying TD made the wrong choice and saying See ya Tulane were uncalled for and show how bad he and they want it. They owe TD and Tulane an apology. He wants this as it is his dream job. He will apply again.

We got a good coach. Relax and enjoy it.

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!
We got a great coach!

With that being said I can say with 110% confidence Andy will never again apply for the TU job.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He will.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Mandeville Wave
High Tide

winwave wrote:He will.
Ok man yea you know.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Mandeville Wave wrote:
winwave wrote:He will.
Ok man yea you know.
Rich Rod got burned by Tulane worse than anyone. He came back years later for an interview with Cow/Dick. Who knows, if Arizona wasn't on him at the time he might accepted.
puffy
Surge

winwave wrote:A shame this took place:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GmanCannizar ... 5731734530
AC may not reapply for the job, but after reading that Twitter feed, it stands to reason Tulane may think twice before approaching him again in the future as well.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

puffy wrote:

AC may not reapply for the job, but after reading that Twitter feed, it stands to reason Tulane might not approach him again either in the future.
Would not surprise me. I have spoken to Andy and his family over the past 12-24 hours. Andy will have other opportunities and he knows that. His future will not be at Tulane now or ever no matter what the circumstance.

Again, we got a great coach that will continue to build on what Pierce had done here.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Dannen hired a Football Coach with two decades as a successful Head Coach,
hired a Basketball Coach with 17 years as a Head Coach in the NBA,
AC = two years as an assistant coach

Big difference. Dannen didn't even owe him an interview. Keep grinding and build up the resume.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Mandeville Wave wrote:
puffy wrote:

AC may not reapply for the job, but after reading that Twitter feed, it stands to reason Tulane might not approach him again either in the future.
Would not surprise me. I have spoken to Andy and his family over the past 12-24 hours. Andy will have other opportunities and he knows that. His future will not be at Tulane now or ever no matter what the circumstance.

Again, we got a great coach that will continue to build on what Pierce had done here.
Strong statement for a 36 year old to make. "Now or EVER"? All because of stupid Twitter statements his brother made? If they hadn't done that would it be different? Travis Jewett was turned down two years ago and reapplied. If Andy's the type to hold a grudge because he didn't get what he wanted NOW, then maybe he wasn't the right person after all.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:
Mandeville Wave wrote:
puffy wrote:

Strong statement for a 36 year old to make. "Now or EVER"? All because of stupid Twitter statements his brother made? If they hadn't done that would it be different? Travis Jewett was turned down two years ago and reapplied. If Andy's the type to hold a grudge because he didn't get what he wanted NOW, then maybe he wasn't the right person after all.
Let's just say the entire family is not happy with Tulane right now. I would hope Andy would reapply in the future.