Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
Jonathan wrote:If Troy puts a $3m buyout in our new coach's contract he will not be a traitor and liar as Pierce was after only 24 months.
Please die soon you f**cking retard.
That's worse than anything he or any other poster has ever contributed. Sad.

Pepper
Swell

Got my laugh for the day.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I'm not complaining, but why all the love for Canizaro over Matt Riser, when Riser has already proven to be a successful head coach? I'm not arguing either way, I'm just curious.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:CB Daily
‏@CB_Daily
.@BFoley82 is hearing that @UCSB_Baseball head coach Andrew Checketts is the big candidate at @GreenWaveBSB...#AAC #CollegeBaseball

11:25 AM - 8 Jul 2016
He is rported to be an excellent recruiter. ALL his recruits are from California He has no ties to local recruits
He coaches at a public university
He has a wife and 3 girls. Will he relocate them to New Orleans?
Look up the crime stats for Santa Barbara and compare them with New Orleans
Santa Barbara 2 murders
This is a west coast guy and Tulane is not his dream job. He is looking at Oregon when the coach there retires and we are back to square one. Looking for another head coach. Only problem is Andy will no longer be available

OFFER THE JOB TO CANNIZARO
You are better than that. The guy just brought his team to the CWS. We would be fortunate to get him. Maybe he wants to coach where college baseball is appreciated rather than in front of a couple of hundred people who are probably there more for the suntanning opportunity than to watch the game. As I already posted if he wanted the Oregon job he would wait till next year when Hortons contract is up. However he is only 62 and likely to coach for a lot longer. TD isn't scared and you shouldn't be either.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:I'm not complaining, but why all the love for Canizaro over Matt Riser, when Riser has already proven to be a successful head coach? I'm not arguing either way, I'm just curious.
I'm not speaking for everyone here, but IMO Riser is a solid regional coach. I personally think Cannizaro is a future star who will be able to recruit nationally and make the program a Rice/Vandy level program consistently. In baseball terms I think Riser is a double and Cannizaro is a homerun. If Cannizaro had been coaching as long as Riser I think he'd have an SEC type job at this point.
Profoundwizard
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:I'm not complaining, but why all the love for Canizaro over Matt Riser, when Riser has already proven to be a successful head coach? I'm not arguing either way, I'm just curious.
Recruiting nationally. Riser doesn't do it at Southeastern, Cannizaro does it at LSU and you have to do it at Tulane. And AC is recruiting a higher level of player too
winwave
Top of the WAVE

From a poster on the other site that follows baseball closely:

Here is a snippet from a Big West message board from a dad whose son played for Checketts:
"Andrew Checketts recruited my son to UC-Riverside, and it was a great experience for him to play there for four years. He flat out knows the game and how to relate to players. Great coach, and he's just as good a person off the field. His track record of pitchers who have played professionally is beyond impressive. If he decides to move on, it is well deserved. He has represented the Big West Conference with class during his time at UCR and UCSB."
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The link to the Big West Baseball Message Board....Checketts has his fans

http://bigwest.yuku.com/forums/2/Big-We ... t-Baseball
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:The link to the Big West Baseball Message Board....Checketts has his fans

http://bigwest.yuku.com/forums/2/Big-We ... t-Baseball

This guy brings up a good point. Checketts gets benefits by being in the UCal system. Started at UC-Riverside, then moved to UCSB. If he were to eventually get a job at Cal or UCLA he'd upgrade his job and yet stay in the UC system. Does that hold any value when thinking about career moves?
There is no heir apparent for Stanford. The Marquess coaching tree isn't that big because most of the guys from there haven't gone into coaching and if Stanford looks for somebody who hasn't played/coached there then Checketts would be on their short list. Esquer at Cal and Machtolf at Gonzaga are about the only ones who played and/or coached there who would be looked at. Would a guy that has been at Cal as long as Esquer has go across the bay? There's no doubt that the job at Stanford > Cal and obviously the Stanford job > UCSB. If Esquer did take the Stanford job, would Checketts go to Cal? I would guess he probably would because it's a Pac 11 job in CA and he would also continue to get the same UC benefits perks that he's gotten at UCSB (and had at Riverside before going up to Oregon).
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jonathan
Riptide

I like the Cal Santa Barbara coach and top assistant at Vandy. Troy interview both.
DrBox
Riptide

Danny Riehm ‏@DRiehm8 21m21 minutes ago
Sources, Andrew Checketts head coach at UCSB, came to New Orleans but decided not to interview & returned to Cali. No longer a candidate.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Checketts pulled out. Wife and kids.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:
I'm not speaking for everyone here, but IMO Riser is a solid regional coach. I personally think Cannizaro is a future star who will be able to recruit nationally and make the program a Rice/Vandy level program consistently. In baseball terms I think Riser is a double and Cannizaro is a homerun. If Cannizaro had been coaching as long as Riser I think he'd have an SEC type job at this point.
+1000
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Heard UCF courting Checketts.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Heard UCF courting Checketts.
If he won't give us an interview I'd be shocked if he gave them one
nawlinspete
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
Jonathan wrote:If Troy puts a $3m buyout in our new coach's contract he will not be a traitor and liar as Pierce was after only 24 months.
Please die soon you f**cking retard.
That's worse than anything he or any other poster has ever contributed. Sad.
Algonquin J Calhoun has stepped over the line and must be banned.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Checketts pulled out. Wife and kids.
One of my points
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Heard UCF courting Checketts.
Disney World perfect for wife and kids
Bearwave
High Tide

Can't fault him for that; who would want to leave Santa Barbera for NOLA.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
chain gang x man
Swell

Danny Riehm (@DRiehm8)
7/8/16, 7:57 PM
@KevinCorcoran77 @TUstudentsect @FearTheWaveBlog Source says Jewett will be offered job, if he turns it down then Andy will be offered it
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jewett new coach
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bearwave wrote:
Can't fault him for that; who would want to leave Santa Barbera for NOLA.
But you'd think they'd have discussed that before he bothered to fly here.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenphantom
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Jewett new coach
Nice! I would have been happy with AC but I do like this turn of events. Would love to see him bring back Gautreau