Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... h-heats-up
Checketts has reached the NCAA tournament in three of his five seasons with the Gauchos, ringing up a 108-107-2 record, including an 83-37-2 record in the past two years.

The former Oregon State standout served as pitching coach and recruiting coordinator when the Ducks re-launched their program in 2008. Checketts is considered a logical candidate to replace 62-year old Oregon coach (and former national champion) George Horton, who enters 2017 on the final year of his contract.
My question on this is, if he was 83-37 the last two years, that means he was 25-70 in his first three seasons? Either a typo on his record, or he's only gotten good the last two years because of a couple of special players.

EDIT: Had to search to find it, but he was actually 180–107–2 in his 5 seasons at UCSB
Last edited by RobertM320 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

When we hired Pierce it was common knowledge that he'd leave the first chance he got for Rice or Texas. It just happened quicker than we thought. Same thing could happen again if we hire a WC guy.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:http://sportsnola.com/sources-ucsbs-che ... ng-tulane/

Article on Checketts and Jewett from Sportsnola

Didn't realize Jewett has such a heavy West Coast based resume.

I didn't realize Jewett was so "heavy"
Looks like buffet Bob
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

I know im stating the obvious, but we need to find a Wayne Graham or Jim Schlossnagle (Rice / TCU), in a sense where they stayed at the school and built something special and haven't left for other jobs. Schlossnagle is from the Northeast and he stayed there to build the program. Neither of the coaches were well known D1 coaches and one was a juco coach, and both of those schools they went too were doormats when they got there....... also neither of those schools were P5 schools and they turned them into perennial Omaha programs.

Most people didn't even know TCU had a baseball program when Schlossnagle got there in 2004 and now look at them. That could and should be us, we have better academics, better city, better facilities etc. Hopefully Troy Dannen gets us a good one to replicate that success, and help us to continue to build our top 25 program into a top 8 Omaha program. Excited to see who our next skipper is.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

VerdeGeaux wrote:I know im stating the obvious, but we need to find a Wayne Graham or Jim Schlossnagle (Rice / TCU), in a sense where they stayed at the school and built something special and haven't left for other jobs. Schlossnagle is from the Northeast and he stayed there to build the program. Neither of the coaches were well known D1 coaches and one was a juco coach, and both of those schools they went too were doormats when they got there....... also neither of those schools were P5 schools and they turned them into perennial Omaha programs.

Most people didn't even know TCU had a baseball program when Schlossnagle got there in 2004 and now look at them. That could and should be us, we have better academics, better city, better facilities etc. Hopefully Troy Dannen gets us a good one to replicate that success, and help us to continue to build our top 25 program into a top 8 Omaha program. Excited to see who our next skipper is.
Better City ?!?!?....I guess you have not been to the "Stockyards' in FTW !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jewett did like Fritz and got started as a HC at a JC. As for worrying about a coach leaving I don't think TD is concerned w/that and rightfully so. It would be shocking if our fans haven't learned that lesson-Scelfo, CJ. As for Checketts if he wanted Hortons job his contract is up next year. He would just wait. However Horton is only 62 and may well coach another 10-15 years. As for AC if he doesn't get this job this time he is not getting scooped up by a major power in the next 2 years. He may get a HC job but he will always want this job and he will take it then.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Andy has a brilliant baseball IQ. Top 99%. He's thinking 3 batters ahead on every pitch. He has massive respect in the coaching business. He was a MLB scout that has connections and knows talent. He's perhaps the greatest player to ever wear a Tulane uniform. He bleeds green. Had LSU not pounced on him he was going to coach at TCU. Even the LSU fan base gives AC the credit with this past season. Most of those freshmen were Andy's guys. It's a Grand Slam for Dannen should he land Andy. It's a no brainer to have him at the top of your list.

Matt Riser would be my second choice
If you want to go national then:
Andrew Checketts from UCSB
Then some assistants from bigger schools. TCU, Texas. Etc.
As of today the entire coaching staff has resigned so we need someone quick to hold onto the current recruits.
Lol. TD reading my mind with Checketts.
Should be fun to see this play out.
I just think Andy would be a better fit here.
tps chirping again about how great he is while he says nothing again. Thank goodness he's the only 'look at me I'm great' on the site.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Jewett did like Fritz and got started as a HC at a JC. As for worrying about a coach leaving I don't think TD is concerned w/that and rightfully so. It would be shocking if our fans haven't learned that lesson-Scelfo, CJ. As for Checketts if he wanted Hortons job his contract is up next year. He would just wait. However Horton is only 62 and may well coach another 10-15 years. As for AC if he doesn't get this job this time he is not getting scooped up by a major power in the next 2 years. He may get a HC job but he will always want this job and he will take it then.
It's not fair to Andy to compare him with Scelfo or CJ. Nobody I know wanted either guy. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. All four mentioned have pluses and minuses.
I just think of how we passed on Mike White when we had the chance in basketball.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Jewett did like Fritz and got started as a HC at a JC. As for worrying about a coach leaving I don't think TD is concerned w/that and rightfully so. It would be shocking if our fans haven't learned that lesson-Scelfo, CJ. As for Checketts if he wanted Hortons job his contract is up next year. He would just wait. However Horton is only 62 and may well coach another 10-15 years. As for AC if he doesn't get this job this time he is not getting scooped up by a major power in the next 2 years. He may get a HC job but he will always want this job and he will take it then.
It's not fair to Andy to compare him with Scelfo or CJ. Nobody I know wanted either guy. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. All four mentioned have pluses and minuses.

Ban the letters C & J..never to be seen again
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

Hire the best guy available and keep building the program. I want Cannizaro as much as anyone, but if the UCSB coach wants to come here and he's the best hire then hire him. If Cannizaro is the best guy hire him. Just keep winning and building the program and every time we do have to hire someone the candidate pool will get better as we are seeing this time around. We have what seems to be 4 very good candidates.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
I just think of how we passed on Mike White when we had the chance in basketball.
Never compared him to them at all. I was making the point that the possibility of a coach leaving should never enter the conversation. I have been very clear that I will be very happy if Andy gets the job.

As for white I would have liked him too and we agreed on that at the time. However we ended up w/a damn good coach so all's well that ends well.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote: It would be shocking if our fans haven't learned that lesson-Scelfo, CJ.
Dickson Disease.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
winwave wrote: It would be shocking if our fans haven't learned that lesson-Scelfo, CJ.
Dickson Disease.
Right. I know of no one that wanted either one. Rod was a no brainer. And CJ was our 5th choice.
Enough said.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:tps chirping again about how great he is while he says nothing again. Thank goodness he's the only 'look at me I'm great' on the site.
Pete, just curious here. Did tps pee in your corn flakes or something similar?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:tps chirping again about how great he is while he says nothing again. Thank goodness he's the only 'look at me I'm great' on the site.
Pete, just curious here. Did tps pee in your corn flakes or something similar?
Lol I put him on ignore. Didn't see that.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

LOL. I haven't gotten to the point of putting him on ignore with his alter ego Jonathan yet. I use him for comic relief after a long day at work.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If all goes according to plan expect an announcement of our new coach on Tuesday.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:If all goes according to plan expect an announcement of our new coach on Tuesday.
And the winner is?
Envelope please
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
tpstulane wrote:If all goes according to plan expect an announcement of our new coach on Tuesday.
And the winner is?
Envelope please
:mrgreen: Don't know yet. But the odds favor a guy with AC as his initials. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Danny Riehm
‏@DRiehm8
From Sources, @TU_Dannen looking at Cannizaro, Jewett and now Andrew Checketts HC from UCSB. And...leaning in Checketts direction. Will see?

12:51 PM - 7 Jul 2016
RobertM320
Green Wave

CB Daily
‏@CB_Daily
.@BFoley82 is hearing that @UCSB_Baseball head coach Andrew Checketts is the big candidate at @GreenWaveBSB...#AAC #CollegeBaseball

11:25 AM - 8 Jul 2016
Jonathan
Riptide

If Troy puts a $3m buyout in our new coach's contract he will not be a traitor and liar as Pierce was after only 24 months.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Jonathan wrote:If Troy puts a $3m buyout in our new coach's contract he will not be a traitor and liar as Pierce was after only 24 months.
Please die soon you fucking retard.
God Bless Everyone!
chain gang x man
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:CB Daily
‏@CB_Daily
.@BFoley82 is hearing that @UCSB_Baseball head coach Andrew Checketts is the big candidate at @GreenWaveBSB...#AAC #CollegeBaseball

11:25 AM - 8 Jul 2016
He is rported to be an excellent recruiter. ALL his recruits are from California He has no ties to local recruits
He coaches at a public university
He has a wife and 3 girls. Will he relocate them to New Orleans?
Look up the crime stats for Santa Barbara and compare them with New Orleans
Santa Barbara 2 murders
This is a west coast guy and Tulane is not his dream job. He is looking at Oregon when the coach there retires and we are back to square one. Looking for another head coach. Only problem is Andy will no longer be available

OFFER THE JOB TO CANNIZARO