Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:As of 2015 Andrew Checketts salary was 152,600. With a wife and 3 young daughters living in California, that's not a lot of money.
Couple of things would be of concern. Would he uproot his family and move here? Should he get the job and another Cal job opens in a year would he move back? Can he handle going from a public with no tuition issues to a private with big tuition.
I could definitely see him going to Oregon St if that jobs opens up. Pretty much anybody that doesn't have roots here, would walk. Makes having RJ for so long that much special.
Right. Could also be using this to get him a nice raise at UCSB. But don't know if they can pay much more anyway.
I'd say he earned one. 5 years on the job, not a losing season, 2 regional appearances before this past year, then a CWS berth.
+1
But a little more leverage wouldn't hurt.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

Pepper wrote:As of 2015 Andrew Checketts salary was 152,600. With a wife and 3 young daughters living in California, that's not a lot of money.

Particularly when you consider the average prices of homes in Goleta and Santa Barbara are approaching the million mark!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:
winwave wrote:Other site saying it could be Andrew Checketts who just took UCSB to the CWS. Would be a great get.

The small ball haters will really love Checketts (sarcasm). He has never coached out of the UC system, not so sure he would recruit well here right away.
I like the hit and run over the small ball game. AC is a hit and run type guy.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Bearwave wrote:
winwave wrote:Other site saying it could be Andrew Checketts who just took UCSB to the CWS. Would be a great get.

The small ball haters will really love Checketts (sarcasm). He has never coached out of the UC system, not so sure he would recruit well here right away.
I like CoC. They hit for power, avg and steal bases!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Bearwave wrote:

Which AC are you talking about; Andrew Checketts or Andy Canizaro?
God Bless Everyone!
JerseyWave
Riptide

A lot of you guys are partial to Cannizaro and he could become the next great Tulane Baseball coach. But if the UC Santa Barbara Coach is in play then you would have to say that Tulane hired a better Coach than U of Texas. Judging by Troy Dannen's extensive track record for hiring Coaches at Tulane, and unfortunately he has had to do it, he goes with a guy with an extensive Head Coaching record.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Bearwave wrote:

Which AC are you talking about; Andrew Checketts or Andy Canizaro?
Lol. Good one!
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Andy has a brilliant baseball IQ. Top 99%. He's thinking 3 batters ahead on every pitch. He has massive respect in the coaching business. He was a MLB scout that has connections and knows talent. He's perhaps the greatest player to ever wear a Tulane uniform. He bleeds green. Had LSU not pounced on him he was going to coach at TCU. Even the LSU fan base gives AC the credit with this past season. Most of those freshmen were Andy's guys. It's a Grand Slam for Dannen should he land Andy. It's a no brainer to have him at the top of your list.

Matt Riser would be my second choice
If you want to go national then:
Andrew Checketts from UCSB
Then some assistants from bigger schools. TCU, Texas. Etc.
As of today the entire coaching staff has resigned so we need someone quick to hold onto the current recruits.
Lol. TD reading my mind with Checketts.
Should be fun to see this play out.
I just think Andy would be a better fit here.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:A lot of you guys are partial to Cannizaro and he could become the next great Tulane Baseball coach. But if the UC Santa Barbara Coach is in play then you would have to say that Tulane hired a better Coach than U of Texas. Judging by Troy Dannen's extensive track record for hiring Coaches at Tulane, and unfortunately he has had to do it, he goes with a guy with an extensive Head Coaching record.
As it should be!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

I'm hearing we will know Monday who our coach will be.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

checketts would obviously know how to adjust to the talent he inherits. Montalbano, Williams and Hope won't be bunting.

Good post elsewhere:

For what it is worth, Arizona was 3rd in the nation in sacrifices, Coastal was 4th, Miami 5th and UCSB 19. All 4 were CWS teams. Interestingly, Coastal also led the nation in home runs. I think it means their coach knew who to let swing away and who should move runners.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:I'm hearing we will know Monday who our coach will be.

Makes me think they're leaning towards Checketts or Jewett. Both would involve moving their families across country, so they would need time to talk over the offer with their wives. Andy and Matt are both local. If they got offered today, they'd accept immediately and we be having a press conference tomorrow.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
Show Me wrote:I'm hearing we will know Monday who our coach will be.

Makes me think they're leaning towards Checketts or Jewett. Both would involve moving their families across country, so they would need time to talk over the offer with their wives. Andy and Matt are both local. If they got offered today, they'd accept immediately and we be having a press conference tomorrow.
Three of those 4 names are names I had in my first post in this thread. And I had Jewett in our 2014 search. I'd still take Andy first. I think if we get Checketts he'll probably look to go back West in a short time. Jewett is a guy that has never been a HC so he's unproven. Matt has been a HC but can he get players in school at Tulane. Andy just seems like the best fit for long term success inspite of his lack of coaching experience. Of the four I'd say Andy wants to be at Tulane more than anyone. A good pool to choose from.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

I hope our AD Troy Dannen is interviewing the top Vandy assistant coach. . Top 20 academic school Vandy and perfect fit with private top academic school Tulane.
chain gang x man
Swell

winwave wrote:checketts would obviously know how to adjust to the talent he inherits. Montalbano, Williams and Hope won't be bunting.

Good post elsewhere:

For what it is worth, Arizona was 3rd in the nation in sacrifices, Coastal was 4th, Miami 5th and UCSB 19. All 4 were CWS teams. Interestingly, Coastal also led the nation in home runs. I think it means their coach knew who to let swing away and who should move runners.
Sacrificing is good if the next batter can deliver
We have 3 batters in the middle of our lineup that struck out over 190 times last year
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:I hope our AD Troy Dannen is interviewing the top Vandy assistant coach. . Top 20 academic school Vandy and perfect fit with private top academic school Tulane.
After reviewing the Coach's involved, The University of Texas @ Austin...may have come out on the short end of the Fungo !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

I agree, tps, that would be my concern with Checketts as well. Is he here for a year or two and a P5 West Coast school comes calling? If so, he's gone, and in the meantime AC may have a job elsewhere as well. Sometimes a school like Tulane needs to make that leap of faith. Of course, isn't that what we did with CJ?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
chain gang x man
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I agree, tps, that would be my concern with Checketts as well. Is he here for a year or two and a P5 West Coast school comes calling? If so, he's gone, and in the meantime AC may have a job elsewhere as well. Sometimes a school like Tulane needs to make that leap of faith. Of course, isn't that what we did with CJ?
If the Oregon St job opens up he is a gone pecan and the search starts over. By then Andy would have been scooped up by another school
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I agree, tps, that would be my concern with Checketts as well. Is he here for a year or two and a P5 West Coast school comes calling? If so, he's gone, and in the meantime AC may have a job elsewhere as well. Sometimes a school like Tulane needs to make that leap of faith. Of course, isn't that what we did with CJ?
Tulane took a leap of 5 million dollars of Benson's money, with the stipulation we hire CJ....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Tulane took a leap of 5 million dollars of Benson's money, with the stipulation we hire CJ....
I guess I never bought in to the idea that Benson would require we hire his $250k/yr WR coach in order for him to give $5mm.
chain gang x man
Swell

If Checketts is selected does he have a buyout? He signed an extension last summer through the 2020 season. His entire roster are California guys. Will his staff want to uproot their families and move to Louisiana? Just thinking
chain gang x man
Swell

http://sportsnola.com/sources-ucsbs-che ... ng-tulane/

Article on Checketts and Jewett from Sportsnola
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
If the Oregon St job opens up he is a gone pecan and the search starts over. By then Andy would have been scooped up by another school
That's correct. I think that's exactly what may happen. Tulane isn't Checketts dream job. It would be Andy's. I also wouldn't see his assistants moving. They probably apply for that HC job.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

chain gang x man wrote:http://sportsnola.com/sources-ucsbs-che ... ng-tulane/

Didn't realize Jewett has such a heavy West Coast based resume.
Before going to Nashville, Jewett spent three years as an assistant at Arizona State, which also included a trip to Omaha in 2010. He also has experience as an assistant in the Pacific Northwest at Washington, Gonzaga and his alma mater, Washington State.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:http://sportsnola.com/sources-ucsbs-che ... ng-tulane/

Didn't realize Jewett has such a heavy West Coast based resume.
Before going to Nashville, Jewett spent three years as an assistant at Arizona State, which also included a trip to Omaha in 2010. He also has experience as an assistant in the Pacific Northwest at Washington, Gonzaga and his alma mater, Washington State.
Yep. Jewett tried for the job when Pierce got it. He's probably applied for other HC jobs as well. Tulane would be a nice job before he jumps back to the WC.
Tulane Class of 1981