Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
chain gang x man
Swell

https://clyp.it/yowkaqqe/widget
Fast forward through the first 11:00 minutes

HoustonWave
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:I'm hearing that it is AC's to lose. Short of a belly flop in today's interview, AC will get it. Also, hearing that Gautreau may sign up as Asst. HC. We can only hope.
That would be awesome.
Chirp, chirp tps, adding nothing except your fanning your own ego....
Another valuable contribution from nawlinspete--not.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Highwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:I'm hearing that it is AC's to lose. Short of a belly flop in today's interview, AC will get it. Also, hearing that Gautreau may sign up as Asst. HC. We can only hope.
That would be awesome.
How? It might be awesome for some #tbt posts on the Tulane baseball social media accounts, but hardly seems like the staff TU's program needs/deserves. Has Gautreau even coached since 2014?
He recruited most of the talent on this past regional team. Including Rogers and Alemais. He's currently scouting. He has a great eye for talent and he'd be recruiting coordinator. He knows the Tulane tuition situation and could possibly find workarounds. He was well liked by the current players. Wouldn't know if he'd want the job though since he's been there and done that.
If Andy does get the job I trust that he'll hire guys he's comfortable with that are solid baseball people.
I specifically asked about the Gautreau aspect of this, beyond the fact that he and Andy were teammates, and was told exactly that--that Gautreau is a premier recruiter.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Pepper
Swell

What about Daniel Latham from SLU as pitching coach?
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:What about Daniel Latham from SLU as pitching coach?
Would be a good choice IMO. I'm sure if Matt gets the job he'll bring Daniel over as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

Leslie Spoon WWL-TV (@LeslieSpoonWWL)
7/6/16, 8:29 PM
@KendallRogersD1 Any follow up on Travis Jewett & the Tulane job. Just got an interesting phone call from a viewer...
I guess this tells us who is the 3rd candidate
Show Me
Tsunami

chain gang x man wrote:Leslie Spoon WWL-TV (@LeslieSpoonWWL)
@KendallRogersD1 Any follow up on Travis Jewett & the Tulane job. Just got an interesting phone call from a viewer...
Tom Walter as well.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:Leslie Spoon WWL-TV (@LeslieSpoonWWL)
Funny. I just googled his name and my post from the 2014 search came up:
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

That scares me a little. AC needs someone as top assistant who will shore up his weakness: actual coaching. I respect that Gautreau recruited much of our team this year; but it's also true that we were not well-coached for the several years prior to Pierce. AC is supposed to be an ace recruiter. A radio show I heard today suggested that AC would try to bring LSU's volunteer assistant on as pitching cost.

That Tom Walter is a finalist is even scarier. Somebody must be pushing him.
Last edited by DrBox on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Riptide

Hope interviews went well today with two great Tulane alumnus Andy Cannizaro and the Southeastern coach. Troy get us an interview with the top Vandy assistant.
sader24
Tsunami

If they hire Tom Walter I'm going to throw up.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DrBox wrote:
That scares me a little. AC needs someone as top assistant who will shore up his weakness: actual coaching. I respect that Gautreau recruited much of our team this year; but it's also true that we were not well-coached for the several years prior to Pierce. AC is supposed to be an ace recruiter. A radio show I heard today suggested that AC would try to bring LSU's volunteer assistant on as pitching cost.

That Tom Walter is a finalist is even scarier. Somebody must be pushing him.

Well we don't know if any of these rumors are really accurate. I'd be a bit surprised if Gautreau wants to get back into coaching but I guess it could happen. I hope the post about Walter as a finalist is bullshit. Walter is no bueno.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Other site saying it could be Andrew Checketts who just took UCSB to the CWS. Would be a great get.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote:Other site saying it could be Andrew Checketts who just took UCSB to the CWS. Would be a great get.
Impressive stint at UCSB.
Bearwave
High Tide

winwave wrote:Other site saying it could be Andrew Checketts who just took UCSB to the CWS. Would be a great get.

The small ball haters will really love Checketts (sarcasm). He has never coached out of the UC system, not so sure he would recruit well here right away.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
TU23
High Tide

He'd be a good recruiter. California has a lot of great players who can pay the hefty tuition. There haven't been many good (or great) players coming out of the NOLA area specifically in a while. Tom Walter has NO chance at the job from what I'm told. Media (the Mackels specifically) are pushing for him because he has a NOLA connection, but he's not the type of guy that Dannen would pick. He wants winners and Walter's record is unspectacular.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

From the other site:

Per Kendall Rogers:

Quote:

...with the Green Wave having a surprise and blockbuster candidate in the mix.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They confirmed it was Checketts that Rogers was talking about. Also saying Jewett in the mix and Saarloos looked at.
Show Me
Tsunami

Ron Washington
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:Ron Washington
:roll:
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

As of 2015 Andrew Checketts salary was 152,600. With a wife and 3 young daughters living in California, that's not a lot of money.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:As of 2015 Andrew Checketts salary was 152,600. With a wife and 3 young daughters living in California, that's not a lot of money.
Couple of things would be of concern. Would he uproot his family and move here? Should he get the job and another WC job opens in a year would he move back? Can he handle going from a public with no tuition issues to a private with big tuition? He's definitely a surprise candidate because of the West Coast situation. Could be using this to get a raise at UCSB.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:As of 2015 Andrew Checketts salary was 152,600. With a wife and 3 young daughters living in California, that's not a lot of money.
Couple of things would be of concern. Would he uproot his family and move here? Should he get the job and another WC job opens in a year would he move back? Can he handle going from a public with no tuition issues to a private with big tuition.
I could definitely see him going to Oregon St if that jobs opens up. Pretty much anybody that doesn't have roots here, would walk. Makes having RJ for so long that much special.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Couple of things would be of concern. Would he uproot his family and move here? Should he get the job and another WC job opens in a year would he move back? Can he handle going from a public with no tuition issues to a private with big tuition.
I could definitely see him going to Oregon St if that jobs opens up. Pretty much anybody that doesn't have roots here, would walk. Makes having RJ for so long that much special.
Right. Could also be using this to get him a nice raise at UCSB. But don't know if they can pay much more anyway.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Couple of things would be of concern. Would he uproot his family and move here? Should he get the job and another Cal job opens in a year would he move back? Can he handle going from a public with no tuition issues to a private with big tuition.
Right. Could also be using this to get him a nice raise at UCSB. But don't know if they can pay much more anyway.
I'd say he earned one. 5 years on the job, not a losing season, 2 regional appearances before this past year, then a CWS berth.