Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote:
DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:With Andy getting the last interview you have to think it looks good for him.
That could work either way, frankly.

Doubt he will leave LSU.
AC is going to interview TD on Wed. he needs to be able compete on an even playing field. Otherwise it's a risk to his career on this type of move. Just saying.....

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's on an even playing field per TD. If he's offered he's accepting. No if's , and's or but's about it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:He's on an even playing field per TD. If he's offered he's accepting. No if's , and's or but's about it.
He'll tell TD before he offers him if he's not interested.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Already trying to play spin doctor. Fact is TD said you are wrong on the issue. Like I said if he's offered he's accepting. We once again have a good field of candidates b/c it's a good job. Pierce didn't take the Alabama job b/c like the Mississippi state coach said he had a better scholarship situation at Tulane. He took the Texas job b/c it was his dream job.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Already trying to play spin doctor.
No spin. Just how I see it.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:He's on an even playing field per TD. If he's offered he's accepting. No if's , and's or but's about it.
What did you expect TD to say?

The former pitching coach just said the opposite, was he lying? Didn't TD mention that he would like to improve the scholarship situation?

You can;t honestly believe we are on an even playing field with Rice and Vandy?

Still a great job, just need some tweaks.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:

The former pitching coach just said the opposite, was he lying? Didn't TD mention that he would like to improve the scholarship situation?

Right. He knows he's wrong but can't bring himself to admit it. He fought RJ supporters for years on the same thing. You have multiple coaches, media, players and the AD telling you we have to win with the cards we've been dealt but winwave knows better. Of course Dannen has to say that. He's not about to make Fitts look bad. Allen and Pierce tried like hell to get concessions but were told "we are working on them".
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Right. He knows he's wrong but can't bring himself to admit it. He fought RJ supporters for years on the same thing. You have multiple coaches, media, players and the AD telling you we have to win with the cards we've been dealt but winwave knows better. Of course Dannen has to say that. He's not about to make Fitts look bad. Allen and Pierce tried like hell to get concessions but were told "we are working on them".
Listen to the interview. He's very clear on the issue. He explains it well. It's those riding that horse that can't admit they are wrong. TD said that very clearly.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Listen to the interview. He's very clear on the issue. He explains it well. It's those riding that horse that can't admit they are wrong. TD said that very clearly.
Link?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Link?
He is not saying what he needs to say. If he was doing that he would have said we are looking into it or we are working on it. If you are saying what you need to say you don't call out fans and say they are wrong. That's what he did.

As for even my point has always been that we are a lot closer to even than those that want to paint this picture that the program is in dire shape. Just step back and look at the facts. Two years ago our job was open and we got the guy who was the best for any job out there. He took the Tulane job b/c it's a good job. We are about to hire another excellent coach. Then look at the transfers we got. Those trying to make you believe we are in dire shape said that when the transfers were now forced to sit out a year that Tulane would no longer get any b/c no one was paying all this money to go to Tulane and sit out a year. Yet we had 4 in the last two years:
Montalbano, DeHart, Rowland and Simms (Simms may have ended up on a football scholarship but he came with the same intent as the other three). We just made a Regional Final. TD says they are wrong and he says the program is in good shape. The facts back him up.

start listening at the 1:46 mark.

http://www.kaarejohnson.com/iheart-feed/

I'll add this. A couple of years ago during the baseball search some there were riding this horse and someone made a good, detailed post pointing out how the $60k figure is not based in reality and that the number is much smaller than that.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Link?
He is not saying what he needs to say. If he was doing that he would have said we are looking into it or we are working on it. If you are saying what you need to say you don't call out fans and say they are wrong. That's what he did.

As for even my point has always been that we are a lot closer to even than those that want to paint this picture that the program is in dire shape. Just step back and look at the facts. Two years ago our job was open and we got the guy who was the best for any job out there. He took the Tulane job b/c it's a good job. We are about to hire another excellent coach. Then look at the transfers we got. Those trying to make you believe we are in dire shape said that when the transfers were now forced to sit out a year that Tulane would no longer get any b/c no one was paying all this money to go to Tulane and sit out a year. Yet we had 4 in the last two years:
Montalbano, DeHart, Rowland and Simms (Simms may have ended up on a football scholarship but he came with the same intent as the other three). We just made a Regional Final. TD says they are wrong and he says the program is in good shape. The facts back him up.

I'll add this. A couple of years ago during the baseball search some there were riding this horse and someone made a good, detailed post pointing out how the $60k figure is not based in reality and that the number is much smaller than that.
Your words:
"As for even my point has always been that we are a lot closer to even than those that want to paint this picture that the program is in dire straight."
Thank you for making my point. You finally admit we are not on an even field and no one said anything about the program in dire straights.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Link?

Your words:
"As for even my point has always been that we are a lot closer to even than those that want to paint this picture that the program is in dire straight."
Thank you for making my point. You finally admit we are not on an even field and no one said anything about the program in dire straights.
I have been consistent all along. Like I just said we are a lot closer to even than what you try and get people to believe.
Show Me
Tsunami

Nobody's saying closer. We are saying even.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You and yours have painted a picture that the program can't draw good players and coaches b/c of this supposed huge gap. I have always said there is no huge gap. There's not and TD said so. He also emphatically said you and yours are wrong.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:You and yours have painted a picture that the program can't draw good players and coaches b/c of this supposed huge gap. I have always said there is no huge gap. There's not and TD said so. He also emphatically said you and yours are wrong.
Not saying that. All I'm saying is our coaches are at a disadvantage if they are not even. Just as you blame Yulman and Fogelman. In baseball we are at a tuition disadvantage. It doesn't need to be a huge gap.
TU23
High Tide

I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that Andy will accept the job if offered barring a last minute change of heart. He's not a guy who is going to leave South LA for another HC job unless he absolutely has to. His wife is an attorney still practicing in Metairie, and he doesn't want to uproot her and his family if he doesn't have to. So it's either LSU, Tulane and maybe USM for Andy and LSU and USM won't be open anytime soon.

Not saying he's going to get the offer but he would take the offer.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

June 30th show.

At the 1:45ish mark he outright says minority scholarships and endowment size is an issue....he does say stacking isn't an issue but he never says we are equal to Vandy/Rice.

Re-listening I am less bullish overall. Lots of work. The academic stuff is a little much.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:http://www.kaarejohnson.com/iheart-feed/

June 30th show.

At the 1:45ish mark he outright says minority scholarships and endowment size is an issue....he does say stacking isn't an issue but he never says we are equal to Vandy/Rice.

Re-listening I am less bullish overall. Lots of work. The academic stuff is a little much.
He didn't say minority scholarships are an issue. He says before that those riding the stacking horse are wrong and then later says he will look into a minority type program . He goes on and says that Vandy ,Rice and Tulane recruit the same subset of players.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:You and yours have painted a picture that the program can't draw good players and coaches b/c of this supposed huge gap. I have always said there is no huge gap. There's not and TD said so. He also emphatically said you and yours are wrong.
Not saying that. All I'm saying is our coaches are at a disadvantage if they are not even. Just as you blame Yulman and Fogelman. In baseball we are at a tuition disadvantage. It doesn't need to be a huge gap.
The impression you and yours have long tried to give is that the program is sunk if we are not exactly even. All the evidence is against you and TD said so . We are getting good coaches, we are getting good players , we are getting transfers and we are back in the post season.

Baseball has all the facilities it needs and the money situation is much better than some have tried to imply. Totally different from football and basketball where the facilities are greatly lacking.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

June 30th show.

I hate when Academic Nuts get involved with College Sports...I mean it's O.K. for them to attain "tenure" and once they 'get tenured' they show their true colors and what morons they really are...but allow a Coach the resources needed to be successful, perish the thought and death to the infidel ...These Academic Zealots are trying to ruin Saturday afternoon and evenings..we cannot, in all that is righteous, allow this to happen !!!!....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:

June 30th show.

He didn't say minority scholarships are an issue. He says before that those riding the stacking horse are wrong and then later says he will look into a minority type program . He goes on and says that Vandy ,Rice and Tulane recruit the same subset of players.
So he brought up the minority scholarship issue in the context of baseball because.......? Are we now trying to gain an advantage over the Rice/Vandy's of the world by talking about minority schollies that are currently not offered or are we in fact catching up? Come on.
The quote from the pitching coach is enough, a guy with no skin in the game at that time said TU is behind but is working to catch up.

TU is still a good job, but still behind the other elite privates cause of endowment and minority schollies. It's obvious imo.
lurker123
Swell

Rice and Vandy have much larger endowments (and in Rice's case a much smaller student body) so they have better means to offer more financial aid per student in need. Also there are always specialty scholarship programs (in effect akin to Tulane legislative scholarships.) Someone here once mentioned that Rice has a special program for Hispanic students from SE Texas. If correct (I don't know), that's an example where non-specific athletic aid could be used to help land a specific qualified recruit.

The only rule from the NCAA is the scholarship aid must be available to all students in that category or generally. It can't be a disguised program limited to athletes.

It has been a well published fact for decades that Tulane depends more on tuition than its peer institutions. Yet Tulane is still a well ranked AAU institution. Maybe Tulane deserves a kudo or two for competing effectively with less? Aw I know that's against the preferred narrative here of perpetual bi$ching here especially about people that are gone. Or perhaps you could contribute to the endowment for scholarship aid? Good luck on that.
sader24
Tsunami

So far as I've been told if the job is offered to Cannizaro he's taking it.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
The impression you and yours have long tried to give is that the program is sunk if we are not exactly even. All the evidence is against you and TD said so . We are getting good coaches, we are getting good players , we are getting transfers and we are back in the post season.

Baseball has all the facilities it needs and the money situation is much better than some have tried to imply. Totally different from football and basketball where the facilities are greatly lacking.
It's never been even. The difference is I'm willing to admit it and support our coaches in their fight. You however are not. As Dannen stated its because of our endowment.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Stay on topic guys this is a coaching search thread.
Tulane Class of 1981