Phil Steele On 2016 Tulane FB

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Steele, the most accurate of all the magazines, has us rated at 122 of 128 FBS teams. He has us finishing with a 1 - 11 record, noting that our most winnable games are road games. The only win will be against U Mass.

The only positive Steele cites is that he expects us to have the most improved running game in the country.

According to Steele Coach Fritz inherits nothing like the talent he inherited at GSU and Steele projects that 2017 will also be a disaster with our earliest sniff at a winning record being 2018.

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He has us losing to Southern? That's a bet I'd be willing to take in a big way. If Fritz goes 1-11, even I would be totally shocked.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No where to go but up. Love it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

We are not going to lose to Southern.
God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Well, that's surprising. While it's been established in other threads that Georgia Southern was in a better position in 2014 than we are in 2016, it's still surprising to see a reputable analyst predict that we will do so poorly both this year and next year.
JerseyWave
Riptide

The Big Question Mark ????? at Quarterback is hurting us. Until someone emerges capable of executing the offense it is difficult to beat anyone.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: it's still surprising to see a reputable analyst predict that we will do so poorly both this year and next year.
Phil Steele is OK, but he's no jonathanjoseph.
God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:The Big Question Mark ????? at Quarterback is hurting us. Until someone emerges capable of executing the offense it is difficult to beat anyone.
Personally, I'm still not convinced that Powell should be considered to be a non-starter. He can pass better than anyone we have and he doesn't appear to be a -terrible- runner, and, while we may only pass 10-18 times a game, we need the majority of those passes to count. Fritz, however, appears to not think as highly of him.
ajcalhoun wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: it's still surprising to see a reputable analyst predict that we will do so poorly both this year and next year.
Phil Steele is OK, but he's no jonathanjoseph.
:lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

After watching Powell in his limited action the past three years, I'm not convinced he's the best passer in the zip code. Doesn't Newman have a decent QB? Powell looked inept and not exactly mobile when he was given his chances. The best performance of his career was in the overtime against ECU in 2013. Other than some decent work in the NO Bowl, he's been showing why he earned a spot on the bench. As much as I don't think Tanner Lee is an NFL prospect (and that's a topic we've beaten to death) I don't think Powell is a legit D1 QB.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:After watching Powell in his limited action the past three years, I'm not convinced he's the best passer in the zip code. Doesn't Newman have a decent QB? Powell looked inept and not exactly mobile when he was given his chances. The best performance of his career was in the overtime against ECU in 2013. Other than some decent work in the NO Bowl, he's been showing why he earned a spot on the bench. As much as I don't think Tanner Lee is an NFL prospect (and that's a topic we've beaten to death) I don't think Powell is a legit D1 QB.
Well, the issue is whether he is better at passing than our co-starting QBs. It's not clear that he isn't at this point.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:After watching Powell in his limited action the past three years, I'm not convinced he's the best passer in the zip code. Doesn't Newman have a decent QB? Powell looked inept and not exactly mobile when he was given his chances. The best performance of his career was in the overtime against ECU in 2013. Other than some decent work in the NO Bowl, he's been showing why he earned a spot on the bench. As much as I don't think Tanner Lee is an NFL prospect (and that's a topic we've beaten to death) I don't think Powell is a legit D1 QB.
Well, the issue is whether he is better at passing than our co-starting QBs. It's not clear that he isn't at this point.
how much does Powell weigh these days ?...for some reason he always looked fat to me
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

According to the post spring depth chart, Powell is at 241 lbs, and he will likely need to trim that down if he wants to be able to run faster.

As a side note, we all need to keep in mind that passing in Fritz's Spread attack requires less from a QB than passing in Johnson's Pro Style approach (like pretty much all spread offenses compared to pro style offenses), so it shouldn't be too surprising if some QBs look way better under Fritz than they did under Johnson.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: As a side note, we all need to keep in mind that passing in Fritz's Spread attack requires less from a QB than passing in Johnson's Pro Style approach (like pretty much all spread offenses compared to pro style offenses), so it shouldn't be too surprising if some QBs look way better under Fritz than they did under Johnson.
I can buy that. They'll need to throw (accurately) enough to keep the D honest.
Jaxwave
Swell

Can the bashing now stop of those of us who candidly posted our analysis similar to the conclusions of Steele. Once again hope I am wrong but how can this team win more than three without a QB, OL or WRs? This seriously might be as bad as some of the 1-10 teams of Mack Brown.
Wavetime
Swell

I'm not sure about the offense, but I do believe our defense will be very good. We will have some growing pains on the O side, but if we can cut down on the turnovers and mistakes we will win our share. Make people beat us, don't beat ourselves.....
Wavetime
Swell

I knew Tanzel was a good one, but WOW

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/aac ... rs/2282850
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:I knew Tanzel was a good one, but WOW

Thanks for the ink. Nice to see us w/two guys there. Imagine how good they'll be now that they have good coaching. Really should get its own thread.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Wavetime wrote:I knew Tanzel was a good one, but WOW

Same two mentioned as NFL draftees by the magazines, begging the question: why are the Advocate and the T/P not advocating for the local home team, helping us get a few thousand more butts into seats ?

Our AD needs to get on this by delegating this responsibility to one of his senior staff.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DrBox
Riptide

Again, I can see us being picked at the bottom of the AAC, but I don't see how we're one of the worst in the country. On Defense, the only real impact player we lost was La France. On O, we lost a QB and some OL and WR, but that offense wasn't productive anyway. And those OL who decided to walk were 1/2 assing it most of the season. The O will be better than last year. And the ST were a disaster last year; they likely won't be good this year, but should be competent.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:Again, I can see us being picked at the bottom of the AAC, but I don't see how we're one of the worst in the country. On Defense, the only real impact player we lost was La France. On O, we lost a QB and some OL and WR, but that offense wasn't productive anyway. And those OL who decided to walk were 1/2 assing it most of the season. The O will be better than last year. And the ST were a disaster last year; they likely won't be good this year, but should be competent.
Depth on the OL and at WR will begin to show midway thru the year... I doubt Fritz will be signing any Players who can come in and play right now...I think 4 wins is doable, 6 wins and he is Coach of the Year...if a few freshman OL can contribute right away, 6 wins may happen...to me the easiest blocking assignment is run / zone blocking.... the RBs are above average talent...The QB slot has me worried, whoever plays there has to have mobility and a 245 pound QB ain't going to be too mobile....conditioning the last three years has been a joke, there were more gut's falling over waistlines than a taping of "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" ...and that was too bad, because those "waistlines" meant a "waste" of talent at positions all over the field
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:Again, I can see us being picked at the bottom of the AAC, but I don't see how we're one of the worst in the country. On Defense, the only real impact player we lost was La France. On O, we lost a QB and some OL and WR, but that offense wasn't productive anyway. And those OL who decided to walk were 1/2 assing it most of the season. The O will be better than last year. And the ST were a disaster last year; they likely won't be good this year, but should be competent.
I have a great deal of respect for Phil Steele but agree with this post. That we have 2 of the top defensive players in the conference on defense should be, all by itself, enough for 3 wins against this schedule.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Let me suggest a follow up thought.

If Steele is correct, and '16 produces 1 win (or similar) and '17 produces a 3 or 4 win season as he suggests, then it would become fact that Yulman stadium was the biggest mistake in Tulane Athletics history next to leaving the SEC. the final result of the $100M investment would be the worst 4 year stretch in Tulane history. It would prove, inarguably, that an on campus stadium had either no impact on the program or a negative impact, and at an opportunity cost of $100M and ~10 years.

That being said, I hope and expect that Steele is wrong.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

If we have horrible 14-17 seasons, it won't be because of the stadium.

For 14-15, we had a coach that utilized a pro style offense that had no hope of being successful given the talent on our roster. Between 15-16, we fired that coach and replaced him with a spread triple option coach, which lead to some of our players that signed on to play in a pro style offense to transfer or graduate early and it lead to some of the best commits in our '16 recruiting class to decommit. Our new coach for '16 has to adapt our existing personnel to the new spread scheme, which was already a tall task while trying to be competitive in the 6th best conference. Further, some potential recruits will not want to play in this new offensive scheme, regardless. The stadium doesn't really factor in to any that in the slightest - in fact, had CJ been successful, I would argue that the stadium would have helped recruiting.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If we have horrible 14-17 seasons, it won't be because of the stadium.

For 14-15, we had a coach that utilized a pro style offense that had no hope of being successful given the talent on our roster. Between 15-16, we fired that coach and replaced him with a spread triple option coach, which lead to some of our players that signed on to play in a pro style offense to transfer or graduate early and it lead to some of the best commits in our '16 recruiting class to decommit. Our new coach for '16 has to adapt our existing personnel to the new spread scheme, which was already a tall task while trying to be competitive in the 6th best conference. Further, some potential recruits will not want to play in this new offensive scheme, regardless. The stadium doesn't really factor in to any that in the slightest - in fact, had CJ been successful, I would argue that the stadium would have helped recruiting.
Uh, yes it would. It was the "crown jewel". The crown jewel resulting in the worst 4 years of Tulane football history would be a blunder of epic proportions.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If we have horrible 14-17 seasons, it won't be because of the stadium.

It's the read option offense. One player left b/c of it-Lee. Veal was accused of rape and left w/a nudge from a coach who puts a premium on character. The linemen were smart people who had graduated and thus had gotten out of football what they wanted. The stadium certainly factors in. When quality recruits see it it pales in comparison to what they'll see elsewhere. Also, continuing to spread the myth that we run the triple option hurts recruiting.