Yulman Stadium - Year 3

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

With football season about 2 1/2 months away, what improvements are you looking to see at Yulman?

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

A winning team and much colder beer. Better service by vendors.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

25,000 other people.
God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:25,000 other people.
This. 100%.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Dannen mentioned something about water shooting out from the scoreboard over the Student section when Tulane scored. A water feature would be a unique touch. I want to see plans for Stadium expansion.
sader24
Tsunami

Football that doesn't make me want to jump off a building. Coaching that doesn't make me want to cry. Player behavior that doesn't make me want to stop being a Tulane fan. And for every Tow truck within 5 miles of the stadium to break down on gamedays.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Dannen mentioned something about water shooting out from the scoreboard over the Student section when Tulane scored. A water feature would be a unique touch. I want to see plans for Stadium expansion.
I highly doubt there will be even discussion, much less plans, for stadium expansion. Dannen is appropriately prioritizing all the other stuff that's needed. If Stadium expansion is needed in the next five years, expect to see games at the Dome, but we're going to be stuck with a too small stadium for some time to come.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Football that doesn't make me want to jump off a building. Coaching that doesn't make me want to cry. Player behavior that doesn't make me want to stop being a Tulane fan. And for every Tow truck within 5 miles of the stadium to break down on gamedays.
You're in luck. Except for the tow trucks.
TURVS71
Swell

Some of you people are effing ridiculous! I post a serious topic about what improvements you'd like to see and we get the same old BS! Sometime I wish we could delete some of you all!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'd like to see the bleacher seating be replaced with chairbacks on the lower west side of the stadium between the 30's. At least the TAF required donors could get something for their donation and it would look less "high schoolish" on that side.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:I'd like to see the bleacher seating be replaced with chairbacks on the lower west side of the stadium between the 30's. At least the TAF required donors could get something for their donation and it would look less "high schoolish" on that side.
Wonderful idea.
JerseyWave
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote:Some of you people are effing ridiculous! I post a serious topic about what improvements you'd like to see and we get the same old BS! Sometime I wish we could delete some of you all!
The water feature is a fresh idea I have not seen discussed here before. I know Dannen talked about it. I also would like to see a video board behind the North end zone equivalent to the one behind the Student section.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:Some of you people are effing ridiculous! I post a serious topic about what improvements you'd like to see and we get the same old BS! Sometime I wish we could delete some of you all!
The water feature is a fresh idea I have not seen discussed here before. I know Dannen talked about it. I also would like to see a video board behind the North end zone equivalent to the one behind the Student section.
Is the north end zone an area of expansion ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Fat Harry
Low Tide

Besides a winning team, exciting offense, etc.:

More beer guys
More "local" food, not just the Anywhere, USA Aramark crap
Atmosphere that says "New Orleans"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Fat Harry wrote:Besides a winning team, exciting offense, etc.:

More beer guys
I asked Tulane to sell concession space / Licenses for an upfront fee...just like they do for the New Opens Golf Tournament....but RD and his minions, with zero vision said no, they have a contract with Aramark.... The contract, as I understand it, does not include any athletic venues...RD and crew were too lazy to get the job done
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:

More beer guys
I asked Tulane to sell concession space / Licenses for an upfront fee...just like they do for the New Opens Golf Tournament....but RD and his minions, with zero vision said no, they have a contract with Aramark.... The contract, as I understand it, does not include any athletic venues...RD and crew were too lazy to get the job done
I might be wrong on this, but I don't believe TU uses Aramark, but rather Sodexo. If you could imagine, Sodexo has quite a powerful lobby at TU. I agree with you 100% though. Selling concession space or licenses for upfront fees would open up for more selections and I bet whoever took over the roasted pralines and pecans vendor wouldn't be selling soggy and mushy pecans/pralines.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

More beer guys
I might be wrong on this, but I don't believe TU uses Aramark, but rather Sodexo. If you could imagine, Sodexo has quite a powerful lobby at TU. I agree with you 100% though. Selling concession space or licenses for upfront fees would open up for more selections and I bet whoever took over the roasted pralines and pecans vendor wouldn't be selling soggy and mushy pecans/pralines.

Sodexo is the Foodservice managment company that Tulane has in place...but it is 6 of one, half dozen of another, between Sodexo and Aramark.. I was in the Foodservce distribution business for 35 years and worked with both companies on numerous occasions. Yulman was RD and Staff's call...they blew it
TXWave88
Surge

tpstulane wrote:I'd like to see the bleacher seating be replaced with chairbacks on the lower west side of the stadium between the 30's. At least the TAF required donors could get something for their donation and it would look less "high schoolish" on that side.
I would like to have chairbacks, but those rows are so tight. I would not be able to sit in my seats as my knees already straddle the person in front of me. I am still always shocked on the first gameday of the season of how narrow those rows are. I have to stan on the bleacher to let people pass, its fairly ridiculous, but that is how they squeezed everything in.
galvezwave
Swell

Actually, I will be making my first yulman trip this season. My last football game was ole miss in the dome, bob toledo era. It was 0-21 before I sat down. I promised myself no more until substantial change. Thanks to our new leadership, I'm ready to see the new stadium. Can't wait actually.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

More beer guys

Sodexo is the Foodservice managment company that Tulane has in place...but it is 6 of one, half dozen of another, between Sodexo and Aramark.. I was in the Foodservce distribution business for 35 years and worked with both companies on numerous occasions. Yulman was RD and Staff's call...they blew it
Ha, go figure, RD blew something. I remember during last year's homecoming and telling my s/o that the free food in the alumni tent was better than the vendor food inside Yulman.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

TXWave88 wrote:
I would like to have chairbacks, but those rows are so tight. I would not be able to sit in my seats as my knees already straddle the person in front of me. I am still always shocked on the first gameday of the season of how narrow those rows are. I have to stan on the bleacher to let people pass, its fairly ridiculous, but that is how they squeezed everything in.
Yes. This exactly. Our seats were in the middle of the first row, and the people at the end (older gentleman) would always give us a dirty look when we asked to squeeze into our seats. We couldn't go from row 2 and then down because it was too tight, and the space in between the fence and bleacher seats was also very tight. My move was to just hop over the fence, but my s/o struggled with that so we used the squeeze method.
posse
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
I understand the foundation is already in place to add an upper deck on the westside. Would definitely make the stadium look like a college stadium vs high school look it now has.....
nawlinspete
Riptide

Perhaps I missed it, but has Troy come forward and finally revealed the actual SEAT count ? The SRO capacity ?

I would like to see the Glazer outdoor seats sold separately to those of us who will actually sit in them; the people now in Glazer seem to be afraid of any air that is not 74 degrees cool.

I would like to see a public statement on our intent to, when success requires it, either enlarge Yulman to 45,000 - 50,000 or return to MBSD and convert Yulman into a dual purpose IPF / basketball arena.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

posse wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
I understand the foundation is already in place to add an upper deck on the westside. Would definitely make the stadium look like a college stadium vs high school look it now has.....
an upper westside deck would change the opinion of Yulman 180 degrees with recruits
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:Perhaps I missed it, but has Troy come forward and finally revealed the actual SEAT count ? The SRO capacity ?

I would like to see the Glazer outdoor seats sold separately to those of us who will actually sit in them; the people now in Glazer seem to be afraid of any air that is not 74 degrees cool.

I would like to see a public statement on our intent to, when success requires it, either enlarge Yulman to 45,000 - 50,000 or return to MBSD and convert Yulman into a dual purpose IPF / basketball arena.
You can't make a public statement that the stadium will expand given that the building is 2 years old. It would be, in effect, an admission that the original plan was flawed, and all ya'll were fawning over those who green-lit and funded that decision. So don't expect that to happen.