Coach Pierce and Allen to Texas

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
puffy wrote:While I like the job Pierce has done, there wouldn't be any shortage of excellent candidates to replace him if he decides to leave, and there is no shame in potentially losing your coach to a top 5 all time baseball program.

It probably behooves Dannen to work with Texas to a degree on the buyout if Tulane wants to have the most important figure in future Big 12 expansion discussions firmly in its corner.

I wonder if Dannen would consider asking Texas for a 1-and-1 in home and away in football, in exchange for letting Pierce go either without a buyout or for a moderately reduced figure.
Hope not. LSU still owes us a football game going on 10 years now. What happens if Dannen leaves down the road or the Texas AD leaves. I'd take the $1 mill now and invest it in the baseball program on coaches and Turchin upgrades. That right field green monster probably won't happen should Pierce leave.
I may be wrong but The University of Texas @ Austin, at present, only has a part time AD....has this attorney been hired on a full time basis ?...I was told that Art Briles has submitted a resume' ... I look for Texas to name an "off the radar" Coach....someone like Lance Berkman or Spike Owen
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
Doc.... I am not sure about the Vandy - Rice schollies...but it was not that long ago that NO student at RICE paid tuition...all students, who were admitted studied at no charge that ever happen at Vandy ?
Well, when I was looking at schools Rice was free; but that was the late 1970s and Rice's no-tuition pretty much ended over 30 years ago. Rice obviously has the endowment to give more schollies than we do....but it's not set up like Vandy's where basically they can bring in whomever they want.
Regardless, I'm not losing sleep over a baseball coach leaving. If there's one thing Tulane can do it's find a good baseball coach and win in baseball (I guess that's two things).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Doc.... I am not sure about the Vandy - Rice schollies...but it was not that long ago that NO student at RICE paid tuition...all students, who were admitted studied at no charge that ever happen at Vandy ?
Well, when I was looking at schools Rice was free; but that was the late 1970s and Rice's no-tuition pretty much ended over 30 years ago. Rice obviously has the endowment to give more schollies than we do....but it's not set up like Vandy's where basically they can bring in whomever they want.
Regardless, I'm not losing sleep over a baseball coach leaving. If there's one thing Tulane can do it's find a good baseball coach and win in baseball (I guess that's two things).
I agree....Tulane will no problem getting a good coach...beside it's an easy job..."boy's its a round bat and a round ball, but ya gotta hit it square"...."ya see the ball, ya catch the ball, ya throw the ball".... not really hard !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
puffy wrote:While I like the job Pierce has done, there wouldn't be any shortage of excellent candidates to replace him if he decides to leave, and there is no shame in potentially losing your coach to a top 5 all time baseball program.

It probably behooves Dannen to work with Texas to a degree on the buyout if Tulane wants to have the most important figure in future Big 12 expansion discussions firmly in its corner.

I wonder if Dannen would consider asking Texas for a 1-and-1 in home and away in football, in exchange for letting Pierce go either without a buyout or for a moderately reduced figure.
Hope not. LSU still owes us a football game going on 10 years now. What happens if Dannen leaves down the road or the Texas AD leaves. I'd take the $1 mill now and invest it in the baseball program on coaches and Turchin upgrades. That right field green monster probably won't happen should Pierce leave.
In the (unlikely) event that my scenario occurs, there would have to be a built-in penalty in the contract that Texas would have to pay if the games aren't played by the initially agreed upon dates. Make it a million bucks.

There probably needs to be some creativity in order for both sides to benefit. Tulane wouldn't look good if they prevented Pierce from taking the Texas job based solely on his buyout, and Texas would look desperate for paying such a huge figure only for a baseball coach. In any case, Tulane shouldn't bend unless they get something significant in return.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

From the Houston newspaper...where, the last I checked, they still sold them at intersections and street corners !!!

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/art ... 311666.php
Wave755
Tsunami

Oregon State spin for Pat Casey saying no to Texas:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index ... red_j.html

The Texas forums now seem quite despondent for The Horns having to come down to their 9th and 10th choices in Pierce and UH's Todd Whitting to succeed Garrido. A true "reality check" for Texas baseball, to say the least.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The latest from Kirk Boles....the Austin Newspaper beat writer on LHN and the Baseball.or lack thereof hire

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/ ... m-referral
Pepper
Swell

Maybe they are looking at some coaches that are in or just eliminated from the CWS.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed critical of Tulane baseball job restrictions and no stacking allowed.
http://sportsnola.com/tulane-needs-make ... ances-win/
....unless Tulane changes the way it does its baseball business, the NCAA regionals may be a green ceiling, not a point on the journey to something far better.

For years, former head coach Rick Jones clamored for more scholarship money for recruiting.

At a one year cost north of $60,000, Tulane is a tough place to recruit.

If you walk into a home and offer a 50 percent scholarship at Tulane, the student athletes’ family is still on the hook for $30,000 a year. For most families, that is out of reach financially.

What Pierce needs is in several layers.

The baseball coach at Tulane needs more scholarship money that is need based and also rewards stellar academic performance.

If an outstanding baseball player scores a 29 on the ACT and carries a corresponding GPA, that student should go to school at a very reduced price.

The baseball coach at Tulane needs to be able to “stack” money for each perspective athlete.

If a student has a need and is proficient academically, the money should be added one on top of the other.

Moreover, baseball scholarship money should not subtract from the other money stacked.

Several sources have said that Pierce has asked for all the above, but the coach has met some opposition.

Troy Dannen, Tulane Director of Athletics, has aimed to provide more resources for all of his coaches.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As we have already discussed here recently they do in fact get more money than just their baseball scholarship money. Pierce once again w/out being prompted thanked the administration for their help when the regional ended at his post game interview. Ed means well but is a little behind. Even Mississippi States coach said our job is better than the Alabama job b/c we give more scholarship money.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Ed critical of Tulane baseball job restrictions and no stacking allowed.
http://sportsnola.com/tulane-needs-make ... ances-win/
....unless Tulane changes the way it does its baseball business, the NCAA regionals may be a green ceiling, not a point on the journey to something far better.

For years, former head coach Rick Jones clamored for more scholarship money for recruiting.

At a one year cost north of $60,000, Tulane is a tough place to recruit.

If you walk into a home and offer a 50 percent scholarship at Tulane, the student athletes’ family is still on the hook for $30,000 a year. For most families, that is out of reach financially.

What Pierce needs is in several layers.

The baseball coach at Tulane needs more scholarship money that is need based and also rewards stellar academic performance.

If an outstanding baseball player scores a 29 on the ACT and carries a corresponding GPA, that student should go to school at a very reduced price.

The baseball coach at Tulane needs to be able to “stack” money for each perspective athlete.

If a student has a need and is proficient academically, the money should be added one on top of the other.

Moreover, baseball scholarship money should not subtract from the other money stacked.

Several sources have said that Pierce has asked for all the above, but the coach has met some opposition.

Troy Dannen, Tulane Director of Athletics, has aimed to provide more resources for all of his coaches.
Saying Tulane costs $60k a year is like saying LSU costs $20k a year even with TOPS, room and board is room and board wherever one goes for college.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:As we have already discussed here recently they do in fact get more money than just their baseball scholarship money.
Student loans. And mom and pop cover the difference.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. Like I said we discussed it here and they get more money from Tulane.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TOPS also if they are La kids and qualify.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They get need based and academic too.We are getting good players in. Montalbano transferred in and in this day and age had to sit out a year just as DeHart and Rowland did. That tells you right there they get a lot more than just baseball money. The issue has been dealt with and TD continues to deal with it. Quit whining and play ball.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:They get need based and academic too.
Of course that's true but it's not stacked. Baseball money is subtracted from Tulane need based money given. Pierce is overcoming this obstacle but to get the players we need it sure would help to stack.
Ed's right again. But I'm sure TD will get this taken care of. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
capwave
High Tide

Starting to bother me that Pierce has not removed his name from consideration, at least not publicly. If Texas truly wanted him, they would have already offered him the job. Since they are obviously in a holding pattern until some other coaches get bounced from the CWS, says they arent all in on. And it seems he is still very interested.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Hard to really blame him for being interested. And, 9th choice or not, if you're confident in your own abilities you'd take the job, because you know you'll be successful. Its hard to argue with that kind of money.

Also, I did see somewhere that his buyout is $900K, but it goes down each year.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

capwave wrote:Starting to bother me that Pierce has not removed his name from consideration, at least not publicly. If Texas truly wanted him, they would have already offered him the job. Since they are obviously in a holding pattern until some other coaches get bounced from the CWS, says they arent all in on. And it seems he is still very interested.
He may be using this as leverage to get some things done at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

Coach Pierce knows how to play the game. You never publicly knock you school's policies. You let the media do it for you. He knows what he needs to get to the top of food chain. Players like Jeremy M can afford to go because instead of 4 or 5 years of Tulane tuition he'll only need one or two and can more easily afford a Tulane degree.
Ed's doing the dirty work needed in this case.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:Coach Pierce knows how to play the game. You never publicly knock you school's policies. You let the media do it for you. He knows what he needs to get to the top of food chain. Players like Jeremy M can afford to go because instead of 4 or 5 years of Tulane tuition he'll only need one or two and can more easily afford a Tulane degree.
Ed's doing the dirty work needed in this case.
Jeremy will have been at Tulane for 3 years just like DeHart and Rowland.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Of course that's true but it's not stacked. Baseball money is subtracted from Tulane need based money given. Pierce is overcoming this obstacle but to get the players we need it sure would help to stack.
That is stacking though. It's not as generous as some others but it is stacking as they do get monies from those pools.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
capwave wrote:Starting to bother me that Pierce has not removed his name from consideration, at least not publicly. If Texas truly wanted him, they would have already offered him the job. Since they are obviously in a holding pattern until some other coaches get bounced from the CWS, says they arent all in on. And it seems he is still very interested.
He may be using this as leverage to get some things done at Tulane.
+1.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
That is stacking though. It's not as generous as some others but it is stacking as they do get monies from those pools.
But is it really? Look at it this way. Suppose he gets offered a $25K need scholarship from academics. Then, he gets offered a $10K athletic scholarship for baseball. He doesn't get $35K, he still only gets $25K, it just becomes a $15K academic and $10K athletic. That's not stacking, that's just accounting paperwork.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
But is it really? Look at it this way. Suppose he gets offered a $25K need scholarship from academics. Then, he gets offered a $10K athletic scholarship for baseball. He doesn't get $35K, he still only gets $25K, it just becomes a $15K academic and $10K athletic. That's not stacking, that's just accounting paperwork.
Like I said they get baseball scholarship money, need based aid and academic aid. Look at the transfers we get that now have to sit out a year. We had people telling us for years we don't stack so we won't get transfers now that they have to sit out a year. Yet we are getting them. More importantly Pierce took the job and has now signed an extension. people on line are saying it is subtracted 100%. I don't believe that to be the how it's done. They get their baseball money and then seek other money. My understanding is that the baseball money gets counted in the equation when they apply for the other monies. They are then told you would normally qualify for 40% aid from this pool of money but taking all of you financials into account plus the baseball money you will instead get 25% on top of the baseball money. Whatever the % is it is on top of the baseball money and thus it is stacked. If it wasn't then no Pierce and no transfers. Most importantly TD is working on it and it will get even better.