Fan Advisory Committee

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:How in the hell did he not make the cut? Literally every player, fan, coach, and non fan knows who he is.
Exactly. He's not "fan" worthy I guess. Lol
It kills any credibility not selecting him.
I disagree. This "hierarchy" of fandom or tests of loyalty (mostly centered around money) are remnants of what's in our rear view mirror.

If it were me, I wouldn't choose anyone over the age of 40-45 for this committee. Any of the Greenbackers have been exemplar and loyal fans but I bet none of them can give valuable feedback on how sports fans use Snapchat.

This isn't Cow/Dick stacking the deck. Trust in Troy.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:Maybe he didn't make the cut because they already know what he thinks and it's not like he doesn't have access to give suggestions. Just a thought.
I was thinking the same thing. Same could be true for tps. As for me I will be proudly representing gotula.net on the board .
:clap:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:How in the hell did he not make the cut? Literally every player, fan, coach, and non fan knows who he is.
I disagree. This "hierarchy" of fandom or tests of loyalty (mostly centered around money) are remnants of what's in our rear view mirror.

If it were me, I wouldn't choose anyone over the age of 40-45 for this committee. Any of the Greenbackers have been exemplar and loyal fans but I bet none of them can give valuable feedback on how sports fans use Snapchat.

Well I know of 3 attorneys (2 are over 45) that have been selected that I know of. Don't know TJ's age. This is being handled by Brandon Mcneill. Tulane probably looking for fans that use Whisper. ;)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Well I know of 3 attorneys (2 are over 45) that have been selected that I know of. Don't know TJ's age. This is being handled by Brandon Mcneill. Tulane probably looking for fans that use Whisper. ;)
For what its worth, I'm under 40. Also, I don't think this committee was set up for just "loyal" fans and I don't think it was a competition of "who is the greatest Tulane fan". I think it was a true effort to get a cross section of people who could give constructive advice on ways to improve the fan experience and athletic department as a whole.

And I agree that things like Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter can be great assets (and most people of a certain age have no clue about those things). I personally love that TD is on Twitter as is most of the football coaches. And whomever runs the baseball Twitter account does an AMAZING job.

I don't think anyone should take it personally that they were not selected. And like I said earlier, if you're the president of the booster club, or a hall of fame player or big money donor and have a great idea to make athletics better, or a well founded suggestion/complaint - you probably can simply pick up the phone and relay that message ... And you should be doing that already.

Again, I think this was a way to hear from voices who haven't been heard before. And with over 200 people applying for 24 spots, its just impossible for everyone to be on the committee.

This is probably the most exciting time for Tulane athletics in generations ... lets all support our programs and student athletes. I have a feeling the wins will come!

Roll Wave!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GOTULA...has two active members on the Board !!!!...how many Yoggies or Yogettes made the cut ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:GOTULA...has two active members on the Board !!!!...how many Yoggies or Yogettes made the cut ?
I'm glad we got 2 people from the board on the committee. This actually makes me more confident in my decision to renew season tickets and make the annual gift contribution. Now I know someone will take time and listen to my/fan complaints, instead of filling out those customer surveys that probably just go in the trash.

:mrgreen:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:GOTULA...has two active members on the Board !!!!...how many Yoggies or Yogettes made the cut ?
We are looking for quality over quantity. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
waveclem
Surge

I also put my name in the hat and got my rejection letter from Mr. McNeil yesterday as well.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
We are looking for quality over quantity. :mrgreen:
WinWave....U have spoken for that masses ... or at least the die hard Tulane Fan !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

I am an alum and loyal Tulane fan for over 30 years and I considered submitting my name in the mix but when I looked at the objective of the committee, I didn't think I could meaningfully add anything to it. It was about marketing, fan experience, ticket pricing and such. I want quality athletic programs and wins and (to me) the rest of that stuff is background noise! How many people wanted to be on this committee just so they could spout off about their pet grievances? Hopefully they are finding people who can provide professionally crafted ideas about making the product look more attractive in anticipation of it actually being better. This committee is NOT about being a loyal fan.

The Athletic Dept is trying to act in a more professional manner and it's time for us to do the same. Who applied for this committee with real ideas about multiple sports and an understanding of how to market and provide customer service? There will be like 20 people on this committee so there is room for people who don't really belong there but I didn't want to be one of them just to say I was on the committee. We all have an idea here or there about ways WE think things should be done, but other than that, many of us are just throwing out random thoughts.

If you didn't get selected, look it as though they found some people better than you and that's a good thing. The better the input, the better the final product.
TURVS71
Swell

Perhaps "Fan Advisory Committee" is not the proper name for this. I am assuming it will be individuals with "connections" , etc. that can possibly direct donations and the such to the Athletic Dept. I have no problem with this just don't hide it under the guise of "Advisory." Only time will tell. It will be interesting to see if any "real" long suffering fans made the cut.

Also, McNeill's email stated that the committee members names would be released IF the member wanted his/her name public. I find it interesting that one would want to hide their identity. If you want to serve then you should release your name. Just my 2 cents.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:Perhaps "Fan Advisory Committee" is not the proper name for this. I am assuming it will be individuals with "connections" , etc. that can possibly direct donations and the such to the Athletic Dept. I have no problem with this just don't hide it under the guise of "Advisory." Only time will tell. It will be interesting to see if any "real" long suffering fans made the cut.

Also, McNeill's email stated that the committee members names would be released IF the member wanted his/her name public. I find it interesting that one would want to hide their identity. If you want to serve then you should release your name. Just my 2 cents.
I certainly didn't get on due to connections. Tulane is trying to reach out to fans and it should be given credit for that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote:I am an alum and loyal Tulane fan for over 30 years and I considered submitting my name in the mix but when I looked at the objective of the committee, I didn't think I could meaningfully add anything to it. It was about marketing, fan experience, ticket pricing and such. I want quality athletic programs and wins and (to me) the rest of that stuff is background noise! How many people wanted to be on this committee just so they could spout off about their pet grievances? Hopefully they are finding people who can provide professionally crafted ideas about making the product look more attractive in anticipation of it actually being better. This committee is NOT about being a loyal fan.

The Athletic Dept is trying to act in a more professional manner and it's time for us to do the same. Who applied for this committee with real ideas about multiple sports and an understanding of how to market and provide customer service? There will be like 20 people on this committee so there is room for people who don't really belong there but I didn't want to be one of them just to say I was on the committee. We all have an idea here or there about ways WE think things should be done, but other than that, many of us are just throwing out random thoughts.

If you didn't get selected, look it as though they found some people better than you and that's a good thing. The better the input, the better the final product.
Even when we have had winning teams Tulane still screwed things up as far as the fan experience goes. They want to hear from longtime fans so that they can get it right in conjunction w/the programs winning again in the very near future. I have had two bad experiences this year and contacted Brandon both times. Both matters were addressed. Tulane is asking for our contribution and I am glad to be able to help.
TURVS71
Swell

We will see...I just find it "odd" that the 3 individuals that I am aware off that made the cut are all attorneys...I was hoping that we would get away from that "Tulane Stereotype" and include the "non professionals."
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
sader24
Tsunami

I had no intentions of airing grievances, I've been impressed with Dannen so far. Specifically but not limited to I wanted to talk about the following things 1) Getting ppl in the seats: I think the policy of charging out of state alums who might attend 1 home game per year high TAF donations for rights to buy seats is both outdated and shortsighted, fewer ppl are attending events and the insane increase in prices is a large part of it across the country. I know lots of Saints and LSU fans giving up their tickets bc they can no longer afford it. Also, having alums buy these seats and not use them means we aren't cultivating a future fanbase. Their kids aren't going to grow up to be Tulane season ticket holders in all likelihood and we aren't bringing enough locals to the games to plug the upcoming generation gap in the fanbase or building future generations of Tulane fans. 2) Gameday Parking: It needs to be addressed especially if there is ever a hope of expansion or moving into a major conference. I have personal experience with this being illegally towed from a game and showing up to a line of a dozen or so other fans from the game who had also been towed. 3) Branching out of the Tulane Centric rhetoric and mindset: This program needs non-Tulane alums from the local area to survive and thrive. Like it or not that means LSU grads. TOPS created a whole lot more LSU alums from New Orleans that are now in their late 20s and 30s than there were decades ago and increased tuition at Tulane created a lot fewer local alums than there used to be. Many of those LSU alums live in Lakeview and Old Metairie and have young families and don't want to pay the money for LSU tickets, don't want to make the time commitment to go to Baton Rouge and back, tailgate, drive home after drinking, drag their kids around or find a babysitter. There needs to be an effort made with the new stadium and tailgating we can now offer to get some f those families to attend a game or three every year. I know lots of these families and yes they are LSU fans but a) They don't hate Tulane b) They would love to take their kids to a game or two every year and maybe more if we are good. These aren't die hard LSU fans but ppl who got a free ride to LSU and rooted for them while there. The LSU hatred at this point is outdated and does us no good. These are people who would've been UNO grads 30 years ago.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Sader makes several valid points... and I will only comment on one...Parking has to be addressed...If property is available bordering Campus a concerted effort needs to be made to acquire as much land as possible...Loyola is facing financial issues, is there property or buildings they would be willing to sell... what happened to the Fortier High School land, has it been redeveloped, reneamed ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree w/a lot of saders post but the parking has been addressed w/the lots. Pay $60 and you have a spot. That's $10 a game. The shuttles have worked b/c they employ a lot of them. Loyola is not selling anything but there lot is one that Tulane is using for both football and basketball. Fortier is now Lusher.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We were told by a Tulane official that the shuttles would bring fans to the tailgate village last season if they wanted. However that's not what happened. They drop off on Claiborne and if you want to tailgate it's a pain to haul stuff across campus. Then leave and hope it not stolen when you get back. If you only attend a game or two you can't pay to park in a lot you have to find a street spot or buy a season parking pass to only attend a game or two. They should sell gameday parking passes. Sader parked legally on the street but was towed now he's less likely to attend because of that.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I took the shuttle to the tailgating a few times last season. They were glad to do it. I am not sure that you can't pay for a spot on gameday. Some of the lots are sold out for the season. I would think the Dominican lot would be available for that. I'll certainly inquire.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I took the shuttle to the tailgating a few times last season. They were glad to do it. I am not sure that you can't pay for a spot on gameday. Some of the lots are sold out for the season. I would think the Dominican lot would be available for that. I'll certainly inquire.
They stopped because it caused the school buses to run behind and it was deemed too dangerous to have pedestrians and the buses going up and down on Ben Weiner Drive. Maybe they can take another route this season.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

how about parking at Our Lady of Devine Agony.... I mean Mercy Academy...don't they have space available...located at Calhoun and Ferret
ajcalhoun
Swell

golf, you are clearly out of touch with what is going on uptown. Fortier is now Lusher, a booming charter school. Holy Name has taken over Mercy and they aren't going anywhere. Yes, Loyola is in trouble but real estate uptown is insanely expensive these days. There is no cheap land anywhere near the university.
God Bless Everyone!
austxwave
High Tide

I would imagine you would want someone on the committee who could impart his own proven, professional experience in the sports industry; however, it appears there's no desire to take advantage of that resource. I'm making an assumption, but i'm guessing they weren't interested in inviting a chef to participate in a cooking class.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:golf, you are clearly out of touch with what is going on uptown. Fortier is now Lusher, a booming charter school. Holy Name has taken over Mercy and they aren't going anywhere. Yes, Loyola is in trouble but real estate uptown is insanely expensive these days. There is no cheap land anywhere near the university.
Is there not space available at either Lusher or Holy Name of Jesus Mercy Academy, which was the full name, when I used to skip school at East Jeff and go have lunch with my girlfriend at the time ?
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:golf, you are clearly out of touch with what is going on uptown. Fortier is now Lusher, a booming charter school. Holy Name has taken over Mercy and they aren't going anywhere. Yes, Loyola is in trouble but real estate uptown is insanely expensive these days. There is no cheap land anywhere near the university.
Is there not space available at either Lusher or Holy Name of Jesus Mercy Academy, which was the full name, when I used to skip school at East Jeff and go have lunch with my girlfriend at the time ?
There isn't any space near Lusher and Lusher itself has been trying to expand but denied for that fact. During the school year, around 3:00ish, Freret street gets a nasty little traffic snag from school letting out, which could be alleviated if they actually had a parking lot or a parent student pick up line.