UMASS game moved

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Now in the 17,000 seat on campus stadium:

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... 16aaa.html

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
dpm wave
Swell

"The addition of UMass, along with the chance to play in Gillette Stadium, will be a fun and accessible game for our northeast fans," Dickson said.

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... 15aaa.html

“I think going forward, you’ll see a balance. The one neat thing with UMass, when we play there, we’ll play at Gillette Stadium. With our support base in the northeast, that’s something that people can rally to and can be a nice attraction."

http://sportsnola.com/tulane-ad-dickson ... pionships/

wave97
Swell

The University of Massachusetts has chosen Tulane as their homecoming opponent. Make 'em pay.
October 1st is a little early for peak autumn foliage, but it should be a pleasant day. Boston is a nice civilized town to visit about an hour & forty-five minutes East on the Mass Pike.
OUG
Riptide

Well, I suppose New Englander's could still go to the game, but it's now almost 2 hours from anything resembling civilization and the nearest airport, so I doubt many people will fly up.

FWIW, this is one of the reasons why they aren't a great addition to the AAC. They can't sustain games 2 hours away from campus at Foxboro, and the travel to Amherst from Logan is a huge pain. They don't bring much to the table to counterbalance their location challenges.

I'm ok with a 1-1 with them if we only do it once. I'd prefer we didn't lose the game at Starkville to do it. I'm not ok with them being a regular feature of our schedule. Nobody should be. West Point is worth the trip from NYC every now and then. I don't think UMass is or ever will be worth the 2 hour trip from Boston.
waveclem
Surge

Lol, anything this man has ever said continues to blow up in his face. We always knew how clueless he was but now seeing Daneen work its even visible to the blind.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And people think our stadium is bad?

http://powerandclass.info/2011/2011-stadium-info.html
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:And people think our stadium is bad?

They are hoping to finish actual real bathrooms (instead of porta potty's) for this year tmk.

The biggest issue is access to the stadium, it's a single lane road. They need to make a big investment in the stadium, coaches, budget, practice facilities, road infrastructure, tailgating area(s), marketing etc. We (Umass) really are the public version of Tulane in a lot of ways (have money, potential and solid academics) ,try being an undergrad alum of Umass and grad alum of Tulane then feel my pain.

RD continues to take dumps on us. There is absolutely no value in playing in Amherst.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think they've made some, but not a lot of updates to the stadium since the link above was posted on the Internet in 2011. This might be their first game back on campus in 5 years, they've played at Foxboro rent free. Amherst is 30-35 minutes from Bradley, the Hartford-Springfield airport. Use airport code BDL, but don't expect direct flights from New Orleans. Springfield is home of the basketball hall of fame. The Hartford-New Haven TV market dwarfs New Orleans, so it's a lot closer than 2 hours to civilization.

Tickets might be the bigger problem. With a tiny OCS, homecoming and the first game on campus in 5 years, it might be a tough ticket.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

I wonder what we got in return for agreeing to move the game.

Of course scheduling the game in the first place was basically the last of a long series of clown-acts by Rick Dickson regime.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:I wonder what we got in return for agreeing to move the game.

Of course scheduling the game in the first place was basically the last of a long series of clown-acts by Rick Dickson regime.
Maybe he knew they were going to move it to their old FCS Stadium, and thought Tulane supporters would look at it and think about how great Yulman is!

Is he officially off the payroll now that the academic year is over? Cowen should be off the payroll, and asked to repay what he was paid as well. Scott Cowen might be the worst thing to ever happen to Tulane.
Eaglewave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:And people think our stadium is bad?

Let's not forget that they were a FCS program. Our Pan American side of the stadium makes it seem as we are currently in a FCS-FBS transition program.
Ball Sumrall!
JerseyWave
Riptide

We are going to be paying the price of Rick Dickson's follies for a long time.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:We are going to be paying the price of Rick Dickson's follies for a long time.
And a much longer time for his boss, Scotty Cowen, How much money did we lose by not pursuing P5 in the wake of the '98 season? Had we hired Rich Rodriguez and put money into our facilities and coaching back then, we'd be on the inside instead of on the outside looking in. My estimate is that would have brought a minimum of $20 million/year more revenue to the Athletics Dept.

Scotty boy misread the tea leaves in a big, big way. He tried to reverse course late in his presidency, but too little (Yulman) too late.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:We are going to be paying the price of Rick Dickson's follies for a long time.
And a much longer time for his boss, Scotty Cowen, How much money did we lose by not pursuing P5 in the wake of the '98 season? Had we hired Rich Rodriguez and put money into our facilities and coaching back then, we'd be on the inside instead of on the outside looking in. My estimate is that would have brought a minimum of $20 million/year more revenue to the Athletics Dept.

Scotty boy misread the tea leaves in a big, big way. He tried to reverse course late in his presidency, but too little (Yulman) too late.
Every time I see SC's name or Pic, I automatically think of POGO the Clown...for those not familiar with POGO..it is one John Wayne Gacy ...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote:

+1.
Enviro5609
Ripple

We did it for the money, in case anyone was wondering. Original contract cost Tulane 50k (350k garuntee for playing in Gillette, 400k payout to UMass in 2016). With the relocation there is a 100k swing in our favor. Tulane gets 400k, pays 350k in 2022.

So the series is now profitable instead of a net loss. TD likely has no inclination to renew the series, and saw a way to at least make a buck off of it while it's on the books.

https://twitter.com/rsox1221/status/732386644033163264
JerseyWave
Riptide

100K is chump change in today's world of major college football. Just another example of how narrow minded Rick Dickson was and how destructive he was to the Tulane athletic brand. This game should have been played in Starkville, Mississippi!
Enviro5609
Ripple

JerseyWave wrote:100K is chump change in today's world of major college football. Just another example of how narrow minded Rick Dickson was and how destructive he was to the Tulane athletic brand. This game should have been played in Starkville, Mississippi!
Errr... TD was the one who made this move for chump change. Not sure what RD has to do with it.

I'd say he made the best of a bad situation. I'd take 100k to move an away game from one stadium to another. If anything we will probably make more in ticket sales too. No walk up tickets like you'd have at Gillette. With that small a stadium and it being their homecoming? Tulane fans who want to go will have to buy from Tulane's allotment.
Last edited by Enviro5609 on Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'd be willing to bet that by 2022, if we stay on the path TD has us on, that we'll buy out that game in Yulman.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

Enviro5609 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:100K is chump change in today's world of major college football. Just another example of how narrow minded Rick Dickson was and how destructive he was to the Tulane athletic brand. This game should have been played in Starkville, Mississippi!
Errr... TD was the one who made this move for chump change. Not sure what RD has to do with it.

I'd say he made the best of a bad situation. I'd take 100k to move an away game from one stadium to another. If anything we will probably make more in ticket sales too. No walk up tickets like you'd have at Gillette. With that small a stadium and it being their homecoming? Tulane fans who want to go will have to buy from Tulane's allotment.
I'm not knocking TD. He is making the best of a bad decision by his predecessor. By the time TD became AD his hands were tied to make any appealing changes to the 2016 schedule. I fully expect Coach Fritz and staff to go up to Amherst and destroy UMass. I also believe the 2022 game will not happen. Either the game will be bought out or UMass will no longer be competing at the FBS football level.
Steve1981
Trickle

Not sure why you'd like to fly into Boston. Bradley, which is between Hartford and Springfield is probably a better option. Assume the team will charter into Westover Airforce base in Chicopee, about a 30 minute drive to Amherst and limited TSA involvement.

Yes there have been changes to the stadium and if you are coming would suggest investigating lodging options as it's homecoming. There are other options but here is one site. Amherst is a beautiful college town with all types of restaurants.

http://www.hampshirehospitality.com/

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Enviro5609 wrote:We did it for the money, in case anyone was wondering. Original contract cost Tulane 50k (350k garuntee for playing in Gillette, 400k payout to UMass in 2016). With the relocation there is a 100k swing in our favor. Tulane gets 400k, pays 350k in 2022.

So the series is now profitable instead of a net loss. TD likely has no inclination to renew the series, and saw a way to at least make a buck off of it while it's on the books.

The original deal cost Tulane a whole lot more than that due to what we had to pay Mississippi State. We have a whole thread dedicated to that topic where you and others were initially touting how we would be making so much more on the deal as you all theorized that a current day contract would pay us so much more. Wrong.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Enviro5609
Ripple

winwave wrote:
Enviro5609 wrote:We did it for the money, in case anyone was wondering. Original contract cost Tulane 50k (350k garuntee for playing in Gillette, 400k payout to UMass in 2016). With the relocation there is a 100k swing in our favor. Tulane gets 400k, pays 350k in 2022.

The original deal cost Tulane a whole lot more than that due to what we had to pay Mississippi State. We have a whole thread dedicated to that topic where you and others were initially touting how we would be making so much more on the deal as you all theorized that a current day contract would pay us so much more. Wrong.
Excuse me for being optimistic. I don't like betting against my own school.

Yup, I was wrong. Good for you asshole. No one gives a shit. Its a sunk cost, in the past. Has no bearing on whether or not to move the game.

You people are so fucking miserable, I remember why I stopped posting here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Enviro5609 wrote:
winwave wrote:

Excuse me for being optimistic. I don't like betting against my own school.

Yup, I was wrong. Good for you a**hole. No one gives a sh*t. Its a sunk cost, in the past. Has no bearing on whether or not to move the game.

You people are so f**cking miserable, I remember why I stopped posting here.
You stopped posting b/c you were so fucking wrong. Never admitted it at the time nor apologized to all those you attacked and acted as if you were so much smarter than, . Just stopped posting. Fuck you too.
bananax07
Ripple