Where will we go for a regional?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

How many wins will it take. Will our ,RPI opportunities be there the rest of the seson

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
ccap05
Surge

If Tulane sweeps Houston this weekend we become a serious candidate to host. However, it is my guess that our ability to host will also be effected by Laffy's and LSU's fortunes. It is not at all likely that LA will be given 3 hosting sites and both LSU and UL-Lafayette will be pushing for a hosting role and both have proven to be money making sites for the NCAA. Obviously the biggest factor will be if Tulane has a strong finish to the season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ccap05 wrote:If Tulane sweeps Houston this weekend we become a serious candidate to host. However, it is my guess that our ability to host will also be effected by Laffy's and LSU's fortunes. It is not at all likely that LA will be given 3 hosting sites and both LSU and UL-Lafayette will be pushing for a hosting role and both have proven to be money making sites for the NCAA. Obviously the biggest factor will be if Tulane has a strong finish to the season.
If all things are equal and Tulane is in the host conversation they will outbid ULL for a spot.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

As much as lsu always believes that they will host, I personally don't believe that they will this year. As far as ull, they have a good shot. We, on the other hand can be a great host......very good venue and of course its New Orleans......just have to keep up this consistency......and it can happen....that would be 2 Louisiana host locations and no problem with the NCAA doing that.......It's been since 2005 and the time is now to begin to make that push and VERY preliminary plans, in my opinion.......and I don't believe that lsu would be sent here if we somehow manage to host.....I would look for the usual paring that would result in a TU/lsu super regional.....of course, we have a LONG way to go!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
ccap05 wrote:If Tulane sweeps Houston this weekend we become a serious candidate to host. However, it is my guess that our ability to host will also be effected by Laffy's and LSU's fortunes. It is not at all likely that LA will be given 3 hosting sites and both LSU and UL-Lafayette will be pushing for a hosting role and both have proven to be money making sites for the NCAA. Obviously the biggest factor will be if Tulane has a strong finish to the season.
If all things are equal and Tulane is in the host conversation they will outbid ULL for a spot.
Is it possible we'd put our bid in to host a regional using Zephyr Field? Just wondering because of capacity. Hate to give up the home field advantage though. I do think there are times where spending the money in order to increase our teams success on the field is worth it. I can't see TD losing out a chance to host a regional because of a low bid.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Is it possible we'd put our bid in to host a regional using Zephyr Field? Just wondering because of capacity. Hate to give up the home field advantage though. I do think there are times where spending the money in order to increase our teams success on the field is worth it. I can't see TD losing out a chance to host a regional because of a low bid.
My Take.... If Tulane continues to win, TD will find a booster or boosters to write the check ....RD, would have been too busy playing tennis, or painting coconuts with CJ
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No thanks, unless ULL or LSU is in the NOLA regional we won't need Zephyr field. I think hosting is a real long shot but keep it at Turchin.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think this talk is premature, though the Administration might start thinking about making a bid for a Regional. IMHO, we need to win the regular season, then go deep in the conference tourney. AAC is not as strong this year as last, and as a 2nd place finisher our plea to host just wouldn't be that strong.

How's our RPI after last night's win?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JDTulane
Riptide

Sitting at 32 at the moment. Definitely need to be top 25 RPI to even think of hosting... Really sub20.

If we host it should be at Turchin
IM42lane
Swell

No, no, NO, ... please, please, PLEASE do NOT think about hosting at this point. Half of the AAC schedule is still left to play plus the AAC tournament. I will only feel comfortable about that possibility should Tulane win the regular season AAC title outright.

If you want to hear a wild projection, consider this one: Tulane, LSU, ULL, & SELA at Zephyr.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:How many wins will it take. Will our ,RPI opportunities be there the rest of the seson

Way past time to start talking about it. In fact It was started back here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8687

Hopefully these last 5 games show that we have finally become consistent. If so we can go on a tear here and have a good chance to host. Let's get Merrill going and keep everyone else healthy and this is going to be a lot of fun. It really is amazing what we have done despite the injuries to key players that kept them put for quite some time.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If we win our last four conference series we'll be at worse 15-8 in conference. Win the 3 remaining midweek games and we'll be 38-17 overall, maybe better. That could quite possibly make us regular season AAC champs. Going 2-2 in the tourney makes you 40-19. Win the tourney and you're probably 41-18, with regular season and tourney championships. That's doable, and that should be enough to host a regional.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Any chance we could drop the Southern game and pick up someone else to help our RPI? Sort of like Houston just did?
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:If we win our last four conference series we'll be at worse 15-8 in conference. Win the 3 remaining midweek games and we'll be 38-17 overall, maybe better. That could quite possibly make us regular season AAC champs. Going 2-2 in the tourney makes you 40-19. Win the tourney and you're probably 41-18, with regular season and tourney championships. That's doable, and that should be enough to host a regional.
This.

Also if it occurs, it will be at Turchin. Dannen will not bid for it elsewhere. For example if at Zephyr and LSU were invited (or ULL for that matter), 1/2+ of attendees would be from those schools. Why give up home field for extra money for NCAA?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We renovated Turchin to be able to host. We will have it there if we put ourselves in position to host.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

We didn't build the new stadium to host at Zephyr. If we ever host it will be at Turchin. If we were to play LSU in a Super Regional again? I'm not familiar with how it's done now, but I assume the NCAA could pressure us into playing there to accomodate the crowds.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We've never hosted at the new Turchin however in the past there were always plans to bring in additional outfield stands (right field) to increase capacity if need be.
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
My Take.... If Tulane continues to win, TD will find a booster or boosters to write the check ....RD, would have been too busy playing tennis, or painting coconuts with CJ
LOL!
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

an article form jackson MS on politics, use or non use of bathrooms, and NCAA regionals

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/spor ... /83659252/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:an article form jackson MS on politics, use or non use of bathrooms, and NCAA regionals

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/spor ... /83659252/
Interesting. We could host as a #2 seed.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

I think we have a great chance if we continue to win and move up in the polls. I hope Coach Pierce,AD Troy and President Fitts will actively lobby the NCAA for this. Roll Green Wave. Sweep the Bulls today!
Robert1969
Riptide

I look at our opponents on the schedule and none of them look like positive movers for RPI, not significantly anyhow. I think our best hope is to finish 39-15, win the AAC, and play and beat ECU twice in the tournament, finishing 42-15. The two rainouts hurt us because those were against decent (top 100) RPI teams in U Conn and Houston.
Robert1969
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Any chance we could drop the Southern game and pick up someone else to help our RPI? Sort of like Houston just did?
Well, I don't know if UNO would want to, but switching Southern for a third game at UNO would probably be good for both Tulane and UNO. UNO would get an extra chance to bolster their RPI. However, it would be bigger for UNO because they might need something like that to get into the tourney so they would fight like crazy, and we'd have to be at our impeccable best. UNO is not a huge boost for us but 69 RPI is waaaay better than 295. Just playing Southern could drop our RPI regardless of the result.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's something we should have thought about earlier. I know the conference rules say we couldn't make up that conference game we lost against Houston, but maybe we could have played them as a mid-week non-conference game instead. I mean, they added Lamar this week instead. We could have picked them up as a mid week game during the week prior to us going to Houston. I know its unorthodox, but it wouldn't be unprecedented and it would have helped both teams as far as RPI. Sort of like playing a conference opponent in an early season tournament.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

from your friends at nola.com don't forget to vote

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/ ... rt_m-rpt-2