Inspiring Leaders in Tulane Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
exflash
High Tide

Is the tearing down of a frat wall part of the Spring training weight program---What the hell is going on with that???

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

exflash wrote:Is the tearing down of a frat wall part of the Spring training weight program---What the hell is going on with that???
Yes it's tradition.
The football players that tore it down are invited to do so every year. Those football players probably never saw the message because once the first sand bags come down, they don't go back.
http://totalfratmove.com/what-really-ha ... tulane-ka/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JTLiuzza
Swell

Tulane football players. Can't figure out how to win a ball game and earn their scholarships to save their lives but have the time to go be a bunch of punks. All of the bums who participated in this should be arrested and kicked off the team and out of school. I doubt Tulane has the b@lls. Enjoy rooting for these "student athletes."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -wall.html
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JTLiuzza wrote:Tulane football players. Can't figure out how to win a ball game and earn their scholarships to save their lives but have the time to go be a bunch of punks. All of the bums who participated in this should be arrested and kicked off the team and out of school. I doubt Tulane has the b@lls. Enjoy rooting for these "student athletes."

I read where it's a tradition for them. The football team is invited to tear down the wall every year. The media didn't give the entire report.
http://totalfratmove.com/what-really-ha ... tulane-ka/
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

JTLiuzza wrote:Tulane football players. Can't figure out how to win a ball game and earn their scholarships to save their lives but have the time to go be a bunch of punks. All of the bums who participated in this should be arrested and kicked off the team and out of school. I doubt Tulane has the b@lls. Enjoy rooting for these "student athletes."

TPS is right. Happens every year, not a political statement. Total nonstory that was blown up by media
TU23
High Tide

Yep, football players tore down those walls when I was in school over 10 years ago. Basically free labor.
Show Me
Tsunami

Why is this even on the main board. It's a false narrative that shouldn't be further perpetuated.
The team does this every year. The media looking for clicks spins it to the less informed.
The title or post should be edited as well by the mods or author.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Let's hope this thread, and others that discuss this same "non event" bring to light how certain un-informed members of the media have blown this up. It's all about a fraternal game of "Capture the Flag." Do 30 seconds worth of research before posting and bashing either the team or the KA Fraternity. This is total BS.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Let's hope this thread, and others that discuss this same "non event" bring to light how certain un-informed members of the media have blown this up. It's all about a fraternal game of "Capture the Flag." Do 30 seconds worth of research before posting and bashing either the team or the KA Fraternity. This is total BS.
Now you have Fox News carrying the BS story and showing the football team tearing down the wall. So what you see is mostly black players tearing it down as white frat students watch which puts a nice race spin on the report to the uninformed. Had they not had the Trump slogan on it no one would even report this nonsense fraternity tradition.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Flasher & Cajun Troll (Cajunfanatico) are both Tulane hating trolls and graduates of tier 43 ULALA (Formerly USL - The University of Slow Learners). Wave fans, pay no attention to this crap from the ULALA troll Flasher. And, I continue to be amazed by how obsessed the jokers Flasher and Cajun Troll are with our university, a university for which neither of whom could ever gain admission.
MicMan
Swell

KA privileged frat bros were tools from way back. Good to see nothing's changed.
Show Me
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:Flasher & Cajun Troll (Cajunfanatico) are both Tulane hating trolls and graduates of tier 43 ULALA (Formerly USL - The University of Slow Learners). Wave fans, pay no attention to this crap from the ULALA troll Flasher. And, I continue to be amazed by how obsessed the jokers Flasher and Cajun Troll are with our university, a university for which neither of whom could ever gain admission.
+1000 no question about it!
JDTulane
Riptide

Dear Tulane Community,

I want to update you on the work of the Presidential Commission on Race and Tulane Values, which was recently formed to help Tulane University work toward becoming a truly racially diverse and inclusive community – one that welcomes, values and supports all students. The members of the Commission, which include extraordinary student leaders, faculty and staff, have worked very hard to move us forward in this vital area. Rather than create yet another report, they are funneling ideas directly to me to be acted upon immediately. Here are some of the results:

Our Office of Undergraduate Admission, led by Earl Retiff, has measurably increased the number of admitted students of color, particularly African-Americans, in the new class that will enroll this fall. Our incoming Vice President for Enrollment Management, Satyajit Dattagupta, has begun strategizing on the crucial next step, finding ways to increase the number of underrepresented students who enroll after they are accepted to Tulane. As a start, we are creating a position within the Office of Admission focused exclusively on increasing the diversity of our student body. Tulane's Development Office is starting to raise funds to increase the amount of available financial aid, which will help us attract more students, regardless of their economic background. The progress we make and lessons we learn through our diversity efforts at the undergraduate level will benefit our graduate and professional programs as well.

Following the recommendation of the Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience, we are creating a new Office for Academic Diversity Initiatives that will focus on the academic needs of underrepresented students. We are also fundraising to increase our resources to better compete with peer institutions for diverse faculty and to produce more postdoctoral fellowships for scholars of color. In addition, we are exploring how to best retain the wonderful faculty of color we already have.

Knowing that we need to do much more to support our students of color and international students, we will conduct a campus climate survey next year to learn more about the racial experiences of our students. Too many of our students of color experience not just isolation and exclusion, but outright disrespect and sometimes worse. In February, for example, passengers in a car on Broadway called several of our students a hateful racial epithet and then circled back to throw drinks on them. TUPD is investigating this incident in the hopes of identifying the perpetrators.

We must find a way to promote Tulane values – of inclusiveness, equality and basic respect – to our students. This is a fundamental moral imperative and part of our obligation to educate the whole student, producing graduates who practice and promote justice and are able to succeed in an increasingly global and diverse world. As part of the Task Force on Undergraduate Experience, a new set of pilot TIDES courses next year will include discussions of race and inclusion.

Many on campus were disturbed following another recent occurrence, the building of a wall by the Kappa Alpha fraternity. My understanding is that this is an annual tradition that marks the fraternity's founding, and part of several KA traditions built around references to the Confederacy. After years of work both at the local and national level, the fraternity has taken various steps to remove many of these overt symbols. This year, members of the fraternity built the wall again and wrote "Trump" and "Make America Great" on it. Many students were outraged by the wall, not because it expressed support for a political candidate, but because of its connection to Confederate symbolism and rhetoric currently surrounding immigration issues and construction of a wall between U.S. and Mexico. This signaled a message of exclusion to many of our Latino and international students. The dispute made national news.

Let me be clear on two things: First, Tulane would never punish students for writing the name or showing support of a presidential candidate. Secondly, the students who strongly objected to the wall have a corresponding free speech right to voice their anger and pain (so long as they do not deface or destroy another's property). Unfortunately, many of those who have merely voiced their objections have been met with a barrage of hostile and sometimes racist responses on social media and on campus.

We are a university and my hope is that we can engage in discussions of race, class, immigration and the other crucial issues of our time with civility and respect for one another. I understand in a passionate debate that sometimes civility can be lacking, in both directions. But it deeply offends our values when any of our students are made to feel as if they do not belong here through the use of racial slurs.

We are first and foremost an educational institution, and we must teach all of our students that, while we have the right to free speech, our words can still cause great injury and damage to our community. Those are lessons our students will need as they become part of workplace communities. Our job as administrators is to balance these sometimes competing rights and values in a way that best teaches and encourages our students and best fosters a strong campus community. I can tell you that it is not easy, and we will continue to struggle to do it better.

There is much, much more we are working on to address all of these issues, including focusing on the racial climate for our faculty and staff. You can find the full list of my charges to the Commission at tulane.edu/race/. I will continue to report progress to you regularly, and I hope that you will send me your input through the website, by contacting members of the Commission listed there or by emailing me directly.

Working together, we can ensure that Tulane works for all of us in promoting diversity, inclusiveness, equality and, most of all, our proud sense of community.

Mike
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:
Dear Tulane Community,

I want to update you on the work of the Presidential Commission on Race and Tulane Values, which was recently formed to help Tulane University work toward becoming a truly racially diverse and inclusive community – one that welcomes, values and supports all students. The members of the Commission, which include extraordinary student leaders, faculty and staff, have worked very hard to move us forward in this vital area. Rather than create yet another report, they are funneling ideas directly to me to be acted upon immediately. Here are some of the results:

Our Office of Undergraduate Admission, led by Earl Retiff, has measurably increased the number of admitted students of color, particularly African-Americans, in the new class that will enroll this fall. Our incoming Vice President for Enrollment Management, Satyajit Dattagupta, has begun strategizing on the crucial next step, finding ways to increase the number of underrepresented students who enroll after they are accepted to Tulane. As a start, we are creating a position within the Office of Admission focused exclusively on increasing the diversity of our student body. Tulane's Development Office is starting to raise funds to increase the amount of available financial aid, which will help us attract more students, regardless of their economic background. The progress we make and lessons we learn through our diversity efforts at the undergraduate level will benefit our graduate and professional programs as well.

Following the recommendation of the Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience, we are creating a new Office for Academic Diversity Initiatives that will focus on the academic needs of underrepresented students. We are also fundraising to increase our resources to better compete with peer institutions for diverse faculty and to produce more postdoctoral fellowships for scholars of color. In addition, we are exploring how to best retain the wonderful faculty of color we already have.

Knowing that we need to do much more to support our students of color and international students, we will conduct a campus climate survey next year to learn more about the racial experiences of our students. Too many of our students of color experience not just isolation and exclusion, but outright disrespect and sometimes worse. In February, for example, passengers in a car on Broadway called several of our students a hateful racial epithet and then circled back to throw drinks on them. TUPD is investigating this incident in the hopes of identifying the perpetrators.

We must find a way to promote Tulane values – of inclusiveness, equality and basic respect – to our students. This is a fundamental moral imperative and part of our obligation to educate the whole student, producing graduates who practice and promote justice and are able to succeed in an increasingly global and diverse world. As part of the Task Force on Undergraduate Experience, a new set of pilot TIDES courses next year will include discussions of race and inclusion.

Many on campus were disturbed following another recent occurrence, the building of a wall by the Kappa Alpha fraternity. My understanding is that this is an annual tradition that marks the fraternity's founding, and part of several KA traditions built around references to the Confederacy. After years of work both at the local and national level, the fraternity has taken various steps to remove many of these overt symbols. This year, members of the fraternity built the wall again and wrote "Trump" and "Make America Great" on it. Many students were outraged by the wall, not because it expressed support for a political candidate, but because of its connection to Confederate symbolism and rhetoric currently surrounding immigration issues and construction of a wall between U.S. and Mexico. This signaled a message of exclusion to many of our Latino and international students. The dispute made national news.

Let me be clear on two things: First, Tulane would never punish students for writing the name or showing support of a presidential candidate. Secondly, the students who strongly objected to the wall have a corresponding free speech right to voice their anger and pain (so long as they do not deface or destroy another's property). Unfortunately, many of those who have merely voiced their objections have been met with a barrage of hostile and sometimes racist responses on social media and on campus.

We are a university and my hope is that we can engage in discussions of race, class, immigration and the other crucial issues of our time with civility and respect for one another. I understand in a passionate debate that sometimes civility can be lacking, in both directions. But it deeply offends our values when any of our students are made to feel as if they do not belong here through the use of racial slurs.

We are first and foremost an educational institution, and we must teach all of our students that, while we have the right to free speech, our words can still cause great injury and damage to our community. Those are lessons our students will need as they become part of workplace communities. Our job as administrators is to balance these sometimes competing rights and values in a way that best teaches and encourages our students and best fosters a strong campus community. I can tell you that it is not easy, and we will continue to struggle to do it better.

There is much, much more we are working on to address all of these issues, including focusing on the racial climate for our faculty and staff. You can find the full list of my charges to the Commission at tulane.edu/race/. I will continue to report progress to you regularly, and I hope that you will send me your input through the website, by contacting members of the Commission listed there or by emailing me directly.

Working together, we can ensure that Tulane works for all of us in promoting diversity, inclusiveness, equality and, most of all, our proud sense of community.

Mike
Hey Mike it's Earl Retif with one f.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

MicMan wrote:ALL privileged frat bros were tools from way back. Good to see nothing's changed.

FIFY, screw the rent a friend groups. :lol:
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
exflash
High Tide

Hey guys I was having a lil fun with the weight room remark --but was genuinely inquisitive about the article and what was happening---Hope it all works out!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Impressive to say the least. Thanks Chain!
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Cheap race baiting that does more to divide than bring people together. Not once does the author address the underlying issues. Bringing up isolated racist occurrences, what a joke. Tulane is one of if not the most welcoming institutions in the south. I am a liberal and appalled by this narrative. So easy to preach must feel good.

Dam Carthon is a stud. Very humbled.
chain gang x man
Swell

Richard is truly a Student Athlele
Too bad guys like him don't get the recognition they deserve.
lurker123
Swell

chain gang x man wrote:Richard is truly a Student Athlele
Too bad guys like him don't get the recognition they deserve.
They will including Carthon. Proper recognition could start by having the mods change the Subject line of this thread to "Inspiring Leaders in Tulane Athletics" and ditching the current disgraceful one.
chain gang x man
Swell

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... 16aac.html
Richard Carthon true student athlete