TU Women's Rugby National Champs!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Sad news. Tulane Womens Rugby has withdrawn from the DII final against Davenport, due to financial and time constraints. A shame, but these ladies deserve credit for understanding where their priorities lie. Just seems we'd have a donor somewhere that could have come up with the cost of the financial end. I mean, its not often Tulane gets to compete for a true NC, club sport or not.
http://www.therugbybreakdown.com/#!Tula ... b075d24d3d
Last edited by RobertM320 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Sad news. Tulane Womens Rugby has withdrawn from the DII final against Davenport, due to financial and time constraints. A shame, but these ladies deserve credit for understanding where their priorities lie. Just seems we'd have a donor somewhere that could have come up with the cost of the financial end. I mean, its not often Tulane gets to compete for a true NC, club sport or not.
I see in a previous post a "go fund me" site was started...I must have missed the post announcing it.... c'mon Tulane step up and do the right thing !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

I fixed the link. If you read the article its not just financial, its also academic and time constraints. They've missed so many school days already, finals are this week, and May 7th is also the last day to move out of the dorms. Seems that the DI final wont happen either. UConn was the DI Fall Champion, and they pulled out for the same reasons: financial and academics. gifttimerugby did another article on this, saying if Rugby wants to grow in the US, it needs to do something to help this situation at the collegiate level. I'll see if I can find that link as well.

EDIT: Here's the link.

http://gifttimerugby.com/womens-college ... champions/
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I fixed the link. If you read the article its not just financial, its also academic and time constraints. They've missed so many school days already, finals are this week, and May 7th is also the last day to move out of the dorms. Seems that the DI final wont happen either. UConn was the DI Fall Champion, and they pulled out for the same reasons: financial and academics. gifttimerugby did another article on this, saying if Rugby wants to grow in the US, it needs to do something to help this situation at the collegiate level. I'll see if I can find that link as well.

EDIT: Here's the link.

http://gifttimerugby.com/womens-college ... champions/
Thanks so much for this link...as noted in the article last year the teams had the same issues as Tulane....Final exams and travel cost... This sport may need to find a place in "middle america" or the southwest (because of climate) that can host on a yearly basis, in the same manner as Omaha does for baseball. They may need to have one "wrap around" season that begins in October and finishes in March with a format similar to Basketball...This is an opportunity lost for Tulane, but I understand the academic issues...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

The Mecca of the collegiate rugby world is Cal Berkeley. Cal completely dominates the USA collegiate men's 15 vs 15 competition (Canadian clubs and all commonwealth countries dominate the USA). The Mid-West and the South-East have made great advances, but it seems to me that the future of rugby in the USA is in Sevens, a wide-open scaled down version of rugby.
NBC Sports & Penn Mutual Insurance have sponsored a Rugby Sevens tournament in Philadelphia each Spring. For the time being, the Sevens game is perfect as a less costly and highly entertaining version of the game.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... er/408982/
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Is there any way for the University to provide funding to get them to the final game?
it may be time for a "go fund me" type of thing

They already have that. See the first few posts. People here can step up and donate!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
RobertM320
Green Wave

I was referring to the University coughing up a few bucks from its budget to cover the expenses. Of course, its too late now.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ready to defend
http://www.therugbybreakdown.com/single ... lines-SIRC
The Southern Independent Rugby Conference (SIRC) begins this weekend, placing 16 DII teams into the matrix season. There has been some shifting of teams into different pools, but one thing is for sure: All eyes will be on Tulane, last year’s SIRC runner-up that went on to win the DII spring championship.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Now 4-0 and ranked #2 in the country.
http://www.therugbybreakdown.com/single ... g-Top-20-2
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Women make Final 4 again. Head out to California to compete for National Championship.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats! Wave women take another National Championship!
Looks like we’ve now became a women’s rugby school. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

CONGRATS !!!!...Now get a place for the Banner !!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

WTG! Congrats. We just got a professional Rugby team. They need to hook up with them and have the girls recognized at one of their games.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:53 pm WTG! Congrats. We just got a professional Rugby team. They need to hook up with them and have the girls recognized at one of their games.
A damn good idea !!!!...and congrats again young ladies
Show Me
Tsunami

Great! We finally have a program we can be proud of!
Can Turchin or Yulman host Rugby?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I don't know if they can. The team is playing their games at Shaw.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:46 pm I don't know if they can. The team is playing their games at Shaw.
Wow. Thanks for the info!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:07 pm Great! We finally have a program we can be proud of!
Can Turchin or Yulman host Rugby?
That would be cool if it could work. I’d definitely attend that. Would be close. Rugby is 10 yards longer and about 20 yards wider. The width might not make it. The length looks like it makes it.
Tulane Class of 1981