Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave QB
Swell

Troy said he wanted to make an "outside of the box" hire for his men's basketball team and he did. He also wanted to keep the media talking about about Tulane basketball after the Conroy slip out and he did. This man has a vision and I am going to do my best to support him. We have a former NBA COY as our HC. That's major for us. There were other guys who I would have liked to see with the job, but Dunleavy is fine with me.

This isn't football. Worrying about what type of NOLA recruiting ties really shouldn't be on table. We only need a few kids on our roster in order to win a significant number of games. I believe this guy has enough contacts and ties around the work to bring in a few good men that we help win here at Tulane. He will be an upgrade from Conroy. Welcome to Tulane. Roll Wave!

RobertM320
Green Wave

Question. Assuming we don't lose any of the remaining players or signees, how much better can we be next season? Or do we still need a major talent upgrade?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Question. Assuming we don't lose any of the remaining players or signees, how much better can we be next season? Or do we still need a major talent upgrade?
I don't know about major but we do need more talent. We have two 3-star PG's coming in. It would be nice to get a graduate or JC transfer there. At SG we need someone who can shoot consistently. Harris was much hyped and hopefully the new staff can get him going but based on this season he's not the answer. Morgan is not a shooter. He'll be gone after next year. We need help there. At SF Reynolds looks the part but hasn't played it. He improved some very late but we need help here. Frazier is athletic and hopefully the new staff can make him a player. At PF we have Oliver. The new staff will have to get him in shape We definitely need help there. At center we have Paul and Smith. Paul is a defensive player. Smith hustles but doesn't offer much .Starwood may help here but he's another guy who is a defensive player. After typing all of that I guess you could say we need a major upgrade if we want to make the Dance. I do think we can make the NIT w/hat we have under the new staff.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

Wave QB wrote:

This isn't football. Worrying about what type of NOLA recruiting ties really shouldn't be on table. We only need a few kids on our roster in order to win a significant number of games. I believe this guy has enough contacts and ties around the work to bring in a few good men that we help win here at Tulane. He will be an upgrade from Conroy. Welcome to Tulane. Roll Wave!
NOLA ties or not, the ability to recruit LA is more important in hoops than football really. One, LSU has a hold on La football recruiting, but basketball recruiting is completely open. Second, over the past 40 years, a high percentage of our best players hailed from la. third, they are less likely to transfer.
Is Jarreau returning for his 6th year?
lurker123
Swell

DrBox wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

NOLA ties or not, the ability to recruit LA is more important in hoops than football really. One, LSU has a hold on La football recruiting, but basketball recruiting is completely open. Second, over the past 40 years, a high percentage of our best players hailed from la. third, they are less likely to transfer.
Is Jarreau returning for his 6th year?
Jarreau is going pro probably in Asia or perhaps Europe. He seems one notch below NBA D League but obviously wish him the best at whatever he tries. I think he is 23 so the body clock is ticking.
Show Me
Tsunami

Interesting hire. I hope it works out for the Wave. No college experience worries me. Hopefully he can quickly fill his staff with some young recruiters. I also would like to see Williams retained.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:the view from sports-nola and LSU fan Lenny V
http://sportsnola.com/tulane-gets-neede ... nleavy-sr/
This article makes an interesting statement about Chris Duhon.

Since everyone here has gone on record with their opinion of Mike Dunleavy's hiring, here's mine:
I'm guardedly optimistic about the hiring. Although it is obviously a shrewd marketing move to bring in a national 'name', I'm concerned that there are a lot of variables at a different game level that have never entered Coach Dunleavy's calculation. I liken this to Nick Saban coaching the Dolphins (only without the six years away from the sidelines). Also, MD's age must be considered as a factor when reviewing the dynamics of a coaching staff change. Remember a couple years ago when Saban was 61 and there were rumors of his return to the pros? His response, "I'm too damned old." There are lots of folks that have lost more than a little fire by their early sixties. Of course, this could easily be ameliorated by hiring the right staff.

On the flip side, if Baker Dunleavy from Villanova comes as part of a package negotiation, my opinion will be upgraded several-fold. This could become a slam dunk hire! I'm hoping the package deal has already been arranged and agreed upon. I could easily imagine the Dunleavy father-son duo dreaming of building a dynasty that would see Baker taking the reins in a few years.

Whatever happens, this move has heightened my interest in Tulane basketball to the point that I will purchase basketball season tickets next year.

Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

While living in Houston I attend several games when Mike played for the Rockets....His intensity always showed, he wanted to be the best he could be...he knew was not the most gifted or athletic...but you knew you were going to be in for one hell of a fight !!!!.. I was fortunate to play in an informal Houston summer league in Clear Lake...Calvin Murphy and Mike Newlin and an ex USL player Arthur Ross was on the roster, I think Arthur was on the Piston's roster for a short time....what a great time to live in H town !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
puffy
Surge

The Final Four will have two teams with head coaches ages 63 (Lon Kruger) and 71 (Jim Boeheim) next weekend, and possibly a third aged 65 (Roy Williams).

Maybe it isn't such a bad thing to have a head coach in place that doesn't need a season or two to figure out the head coaching thing.

Really, the assistant coaches will be the key. I'm hoping Dannen gives him the budget to hire a quality staff. While I would love it if Baker Dunleavy came on board, if Nova wins the Nattie next weekend, he'll be considered for a good head coaching job sooner rather than later.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I don't have any doubt that TD has secured the budget to be able to hire an excellent staff.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Expect a press conference to introduce Dunleavy on Tuesday.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

Duhon has a plenty of former high school/NORD teammates who are high school basketball coaches from NOLA to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I think he would do a great job finding local talent.

I love the fact the TD is forcing attention to our basketball program with this splash hire. I have a good feeling about this.
sader24
Tsunami

Like most are saying, who his assistants are will determine whether this was a great or average hire. I have no doubt his X's and O's and experience were at the top of any list we would have. However, he's never recruited and he's no spring chicken, he needs two solid young assistants that can bring in the talent we need to compete and win in this conference. Our last three Head Coaches have had a ton of college experience, where did that get us.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

FYI, MD does commentary for NBA TV. The guy knows Bball and seems to have plenty left in the tank.

It's the TU in me, but I am a little nervous there still is no formal announcement.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:FYI, MD does commentary for NBA TV. The guy knows Bball and seems to have plenty left in the tank.

It's the TU in me, but I am a little nervous there still is no formal announcement.
Nevermind.....bam.

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... 16aaa.html
GreenLantern
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:FYI, MD does commentary for NBA TV. The guy knows Bball and seems to have plenty left in the tank.

Sounds pretty formal to me:
http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... 16aaa.html
JerseyWave
Riptide

This is a "game changer" move as Dannen calls it. Very excited! There is definitely an across the board commitment to elevate Tulane Athletics!
Robert1969
Riptide

I love this hire. I think it is a great move. Maybe he can get Dylan O to reconsider.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Robert1969 wrote:I love this hire. I think it is a great move. Maybe he can get Dylan O to reconsider.
I agree, think it's a great hire, and would encourage Coach Dunleavy to visit with Dylan Osetkowski ASAP.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Like most are saying, who his assistants are will determine whether this was a great or average hire. I have no doubt his X's and O's and experience were at the top of any list we would have. However, he's never recruited and he's no spring chicken, he needs two solid young assistants that can bring in the talent we need to compete and win in this conference. Our last three Head Coaches have had a ton of college experience, where did that get us.
Our last 3 head coaches were hired by Rick Dickson, whose criteria for assistant coaches was "do I have any tennis buddies in need of a job?". I feel quite confident that between Dannen and Dunleavy, there is a good plan for the right assistants.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Stockholm Syndrome symptoms. There are professional adults in charge now.
galvezwave
Swell

You never know, maybe he finds his true calling in the college ranks and just blows up. We will know soon enough. Can't wait to find out.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Expect a press conference to introduce Dunleavy on Tuesday.
OK, it's official now, and he will be formally introduced at Devlin tomorrow for 11:00 a.m. :D

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/ncaa/tulane ... /106226217

http://www.fox8live.com/story/31580715/ ... ball-coach
RobertM320
Green Wave

A sense of humor from TD..

Troy Dannen ‏@TU_Dannen 3h3 hours ago

We shall overcome this!

Fear the Wave
‏@FearTheWaveBlog
My only knock against Dunleavy at this point is that he has never coached at Sam Houston St. Going in with open mind though.

https://twitter.com/TU_Dannen/status/714481509248315393
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson