Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... -at-tulane

I found this quote interesting.
Dannen said he would make Dunleavy’s job easier than Conroy’s by upgrading Tulane’s travel routine, eliminating some of the bus trips and overnight stays that wore down the team every season. The rest he will leave to Dunleavy natural ability.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
puffy
Surge

Made the decision to buy season tix to hoops for 2016-17. I've never had season tickets before. My belief is that the admins, athletic dept and fans are all finally pulling in the same direction.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Similar to puffy, I just bought 4 b-ball season tickets for the upcoming season. First time for me. Still pinching myself that Tulane athletics is moving in the right direction in all sports!
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Not everyone is sold yet. Riverside head coach Timmy Byrd said its a head scratcher with Ed Daniels.
https://www.facebook.com/WGNOSports/vid ... 116397912/
A silly, silly interview. It's a different game? No it isn't. It's still 5-on-5 and the hoops are still 10 feet tall. The administration of it is. And we have competent administrators. (edit: nevermind). If you say that it's dumb because Perry Clark knew how to recruit locally, you can't be foolish enough not to know that Perry Clark recruited nationally. IIRC, Chris Cameron was from Georgia, Corey Childs from Detroit, Ledaryl Billingsley was from Chicago, etc.
I disagree that it was silly interview. The game is different and he actually makes great points. Recruiting isn't easy and understanding the culture is a take as well.

I have same concerns as well, buy I something tells me that MD will win games.
Ball Sumrall!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Not everyone is sold yet. Riverside head coach Timmy Byrd said its a head scratcher with Ed Daniels.
A silly, silly interview. It's a different game? No it isn't. It's still 5-on-5 and the hoops are still 10 feet tall. The administration of it is. And we have competent administrators. (edit: nevermind). If you say that it's dumb because Perry Clark knew how to recruit locally, you can't be foolish enough not to know that Perry Clark recruited nationally. IIRC, Chris Cameron was from Georgia, Corey Childs from Detroit, Ledaryl Billingsley was from Chicago, etc.
I disagree that it was silly interview. The game is different and he actually makes great points. Recruiting isn't easy and understanding the culture is a take as well.

Yes it is silly to suggest that the only way to win is to emulate Perry Clark and it's factually incorrect to talk about Perry Clark's local recruiting when he both recruited nationally and had no local ties when he showed up.
Pepper
Swell

What you expect from a former bench warming LSU turd who once said "it would be a disgrace to lose to Tulane". We promptly beat the shit out of them 48-7 and when he got in the game in the 4th qtr, a couple extra shots were administered.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:What you expect from a former bench warming LSU turd who once said "it would be a disgrace to lose to Tulane". We promptly beat the sh*t out of them 48-7 and when he got in the game in the 4th qtr, a couple extra shots were administered.
+1. Good times.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Considering the lack of fundamnetals that the players he sent to Tulane ...he needs to shut the f"@k up
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
puffy
Surge

http://sportsnola.com/recruiting-effort ... -dunleavy/

Not sure if this is just a written version of the video on Daniels' fb page, but this just shows that Daniels is more out of touch with the quality of high school basketball in La than Dunleavy is with coaching hoops at any level. Taking the best available 3* recruits in La is a surefire way to ensure no better than middle and lower tier finishes in the AAC.

I'll be interested in seeing how Dunleavy will fill out the rest of the roster once the dust settles with respect to transfers and 2016 commitments.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:http://sportsnola.com/recruiting-effort ... -dunleavy/

Not sure if this is just a written version of the video on Daniels' fb page, but this just shows that Daniels is more out of touch with the quality of high school basketball in La than Dunleavy is with coaching hoops at any level. Taking the best available 3* recruits in La is a surefire way to ensure no better than middle and lower tier finishes in the AAC.

I'll be interested in seeing how Dunleavy will fill out the rest of the roster once the dust settles with respect to transfers and 2016 commitments.
Ed's still in the "show me" court. I think once Dunleavy gets started with his staff and lands some 4's and 5's Ed will get on board.
3's aren't going to win in the AAC. Maybe CUSA but not this league.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

CMD was on SiriusXM Thursday and compared TU to Villanova and Duke, great private schools with excellent MBB programs, said he wants to build that here. Also reiterated in the search for players that he has contacts in Europe, Africa and South America as well as all the way to the Hall of Fame (!). He praised Devlin as a good facility with a home court advantage.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

MicMan wrote:CMD was on SiriusXM Thursday and compared TU to Villanova and Duke, great private schools with excellent MBB programs, said he wants to build that here. Also reiterated in the search for players that he has contacts in Europe, Africa and South America as well as all the way to the Hall of Fame (!). He praised Devlin as a good facility with a home court advantage.
He has talked about creating a home court advantage at Fogelman. He has also, in every interview, talked about the Smoothie King Center and getting the program ready to play big time games there.
Wave QB
Swell

tpstulane wrote:

Ed's still in the "show me" court. I think once Dunleavy gets started with his staff and lands some 4's and 5's Ed will get on board.
Let's not overrate the AAC. (Which I have been guilty of doing myself). This is the Big C-USA and not the Big East. Changing the name to the American is extremely fitting. 3 stars can win with good coaching in this conference. We just watched the weakest Conroy era team make it to the semi final round. If MD can find two solid 3 star big men along with two 3 point shooters. We will easily be in the mix of the conference. I am not that worried about grabbing local recruits. I believe he will be able to find some good river parish talent, but I also believe we are going to see some east/west coast ballers coming in.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Let's not overrate the AAC. (Which I have been guilty of doing myself). This is the Big C-USA and not the Big East. Changing the name to the American is extremely fitting. 3 stars can win with good coaching in this conference. We just watched the weakest Conroy era team make it to the semi final round. If MD can find two solid 3 star big men along with two 3 point shooters. We will easily be in the mix of the conference. I am not that worried about grabbing local recruits. I believe he will be able to find some good river parish talent, but I also believe we are going to see some east/west coast ballers coming in.
Football yes but not so for basketball. CUSA has and will always be a one bid league. AAC had 4 bids this year. And had SMU been eligible it would have made 5. Temple, UCONN and Cincy were not in CUSA. 3's are not going to beat the top of this league. There's no comparison to CUSA for basketball. Besides every game is on TV. Not even close to what CUSA had for exposure.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
MicMan wrote:CMD was on SiriusXM Thursday and compared TU to Villanova and Duke, great private schools with excellent MBB programs, said he wants to build that here. Also reiterated in the search for players that he has contacts in Europe, Africa and South America as well as all the way to the Hall of Fame (!). He praised Devlin as a good facility with a home court advantage.
He has talked about creating a home court advantage at Fogelman. He has also, in every interview, talked about the Smoothie King Center and getting the program ready to play big time games there.
Carolina is scheduled to play us in New Orleans next fall. I really hope they play the game in Fogleman and fill the place to the rafters. If they move the game to the Smoothie Center then we are giving up any home court advantage we might have.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Carolina is scheduled to play us in New Orleans next fall. I really hope they play the game in Fogleman and fill the place to the rafters. If they move the game to the Smoothie Center then we are giving up any home court advantage we might have.
It was always at SK. It's not going to be at Fogelman. If NC wins the NC then next season you could see 7-10K at SK for that collegiate opener.
It would draw Pelican (basketball) type fans out to that one that would not normally come to a Wave game. But I agree you lose an advantage by not playing on campus.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
It was always at SK. It's not going to be at Fogelman. If NC wins the NC then next year you could see 7-10K at SK for that collegiate opener.
So basically our home game is being turned into a neutral site game instead. Big mistake in my opinion. I would rather have a packed, sold out Fogleman reminiscent of the Perry Clark glory days that Tulane hasn't experienced in two decades.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
It was always at SK. It's not going to be at Fogelman. If NC wins the NC then next year you could see 7-10K at SK for that collegiate opener.
So basically our home game is being turned into a neutral site game instead. Big mistake in my opinion. I would rather have a packed, sold out Fogleman reminiscent of the Perry Clark glory days that Tulane hasn't experienced in two decades.
I agree. But teams of that statue are not going to agree to play us a home and home at 3,300 Fogelman. They just won't. Even LSU won't. That's why we'll have to give up something to get better non Conf teams to give us a home and home. If Fogelman was 6-8K that might not be an issue.
It's not unusual. If you remember we always played NC at the Superdome in basketball. We'd draw over 10K everytime.
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
I agree. But teams of that statue are not going to agree to play us a home and home at 3,300 Fogelman. They just won't. Even LSU won't. That's why we'll have to give up something to get better non Conf teams to give us a home and home. If Fogelman was 6-8K that might not be an issue.
It's not unusual. If you remember we always played NC at the Superdome in basketball. We'd draw over 10K everytime.
If Tulane starts winning good teams will want home and home including Devlin. LSU? Who cares? Tulane's fate does not depend in any way, shape or form on whether it plays LSU. LSU stopped playing Tulane before SK was even built. Meanwhile if Sugar Bowl got back in the MBB business I could see more games in SK after UNC but not until then.

I know MD spoke about playing in SK but once he sees how Devlin is when it's packed he won't want to move either. SK and the Dome and Zephyr are all neutral sites. I could see us playing one-off "special package" games but not as return games for home and home contracts. Those will be on Tulane campus. Period.
RobertM320
Green Wave

It was easier to get teams to come to Fogleman back in the 80's when it actually seated over 5K. Over the years its gotten smaller and smaller.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DrBox
Riptide

Tulsa had a 3 star team...they were good, but a NIT team. Some 3 stars are fine, if they are legit..which usually means fall signing period 3 stars. The spring guys are often guys who fell off or who didn't improve as expected.
The top AAC teams are as good as the Big East teams, except for Villanova, and perhaps Xavier.
The negative tone of the interview was as much Ed's narration as it was Byrd's words.
Ed's another one who is supportive as long as things are done his way. Who did he want us to hire, pray tell?
We need to work on a Fogelman expansion plan.
lurker123
Swell

DrBox wrote:Tulsa had a 3 star team...they were good, but a NIT team. Some 3 stars are fine, if they are legit..which usually means fall signing period 3 stars. The spring guys are often guys who fell off or who didn't improve as expected.
The top AAC teams are as good as the Big East teams, except for Villanova, and perhaps Xavier.
The negative tone of the interview was as much Ed's narration as it was Byrd's words.
Ed's another one who is supportive as long as things are done his way. Who did he want us to hire, pray tell?
We need to work on a Fogelman expansion plan.
Byrd has coached alot of good players and won a bunch of championships. I agree with his sentiment that it's best for Tulane and Louisiana for it to recruit locally where possible. AAC is a good spot for his players to land and he knows it. So there is a win-win here. Tulane should just adopt the LSU model. Both Tim and Ed should be ok with that. Go after four and five star guys nationally. If you don't sign them then fall back on Louisiana at the last minute ala Lindsey Scott of Zachary. I'm always in favor of signing a three star guy out of Reserve instead of Chicago especially if he is kind enough to wait for us until say April 14th to make the offer.
puffy
Surge

You need one to two 4 star recruits per season to crack the upper third of the conference and become competitive enough to warrant NCAA tourney consideration. Coaching up 3 stars or lower level athletes might work, but often times they have to play and develop together over the course of several seasons (think junior and senior heavy teams). A 4 star recruit can help engineer a turnaround faster and maintain momentum year to year.