Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:After watching the Introductory Press Conference there should be no doubt that this is an incredible hire for Tulane. I even enjoyed the subtle swipe that Fitts and Dannen took at their predecessors.

Dunleavy is connected in the basketball community all over the world. He is going to bring unprecedented talent and success to Tulane basketball. Let's enjoy the ride!
Win or lose, this is a solid hire. He is an incredible X/O guy with recruiting connections all over the world. Add in the fact that he has had three kids go through the D1 process then one plays int eh pros and ht other coaches a top 10 team.

At this point I am more concerned with losing TD in a few years as opposed to anyone else.
+1000000000000000000 Four months into the job, and he's already positioned himself as possibly one of the best AD's we've ever had.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

Let's not get ahead of ourselves on the losing TD business. None of his hires have coached a game yet. There's a ways to go before we reach that point. I also don't read Dannen as a guy looking to springboard anytime soon the Tulane job for another school. I think he, like most us, sees the enormous potential that Tulane has in the world of college athletics and has been given the commitment from the Board to finally realize that potential.
dpm wave
Swell

Introduction:

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/colleges ... dia=528390

Man crush on TD official
Last edited by dpm wave on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:He killed the PC
OMG did he ever.

No one on this forum thought dramatic success was not only potetially possible, but also closer within reach than I did, but I never envisioned the kind of progress that's been made in ~4 months. Stunning.

Replacing Dickson/CJ/Conroy with Dannen/Fritz/Dunleavy is, without question, an exponential upgrade, and that doesn't even mention Barnes who is highly regarded.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:After watching the Introductory Press Conference there should be no doubt that this is an incredible hire for Tulane. I even enjoyed the subtle swipe that Fitts and Dannen took at their predecessors.

Dunleavy is connected in the basketball community all over the world. He is going to bring unprecedented talent and success to Tulane basketball. Let's enjoy the ride!
Win or lose, this is a solid hire. He is an incredible X/O guy with recruiting connections all over the world. Add in the fact that he has had three kids go through the D1 process then one plays int eh pros and ht other coaches a top 10 team.

At this point I am more concerned with losing TD in a few years as opposed to anyone else.
We will need to worry about losing TD as soon as the end of this calendar year.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves on the losing TD business. None of his hires have coached a game yet. There's a ways to go before we reach that point. I also don't read Dannen as a guy looking to springboard anytime soon the Tulane job for another school. I think he, like most us, sees the enormous potential that Tulane has in the world of college athletics and has been given the commitment from the Board to finally realize that potential.
I agree that he isn't looking for his next job but he's making it very obvious he is a rising star in the profession in a short amount of time. Heads are turning.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves on the losing TD business. None of his hires have coached a game yet. There's a ways to go before we reach that point. I also don't read Dannen as a guy looking to springboard anytime soon the Tulane job for another school. I think he, like most us, sees the enormous potential that Tulane has in the world of college athletics and has been given the commitment from the Board to finally realize that potential.
I agree that he isn't looking for his next job but he's making it very obvious he is a rising star in the profession in a short amount of time. Heads are turning.
Which is why his next mission is an area he has not addressed much (that I can tell): his own staff, and bringing in some people with successor potential.
dpm wave
Swell

I believe that Dunleavy's teams are going to be the best conditioned teams Tulane has ever seen.
Not only does he admit to and look like a "gym rat" but his wife also is an extremely fit sexagenarian.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
I am very impressed with Troy Dannen and his hires. At the same time, the man has been here 4 months, his coaches have yet to coach a game, no less win games. He's not going to be hired away one or two years into his initial foray at a FBS school. Yes, whatever group that follows college AD's may be thinking he's a rising star. But there's not many that follow college AD's, and AD's tend to stay at their jobs longer than coaches do. I think we've got Troy Dannen for 5 years, minimum.

Can anyone here name 10 AD's at schools other than Tulane? I think I can name 3 or 4. Most of them are former Tulanians. Let's not put the horse ahead of the cart just yet. And Fitts will find us another TD if/when that day comes.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

The part we all like to hear:
Dunleavy said his ties to New Orleans were an important factor in pursuing the Tulane job. Given that he hoped to have a 10-15 year run in his next job, one of his requirements was "being in a community that I know I would enjoy living and being a part of it."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /82382968/
bananax07
Ripple

dpm wave wrote:...but his wife also is an extremely fit sexagenarian.
that's all i need to hear - Wave cutting down the nets in 2017!

edit: hot dang Troy Dannen killed it with that press conference
Bigschtick
Riptide

Exactly!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:He killed the PC
I LOVE the way Dannen is so transparent about his process! He talked about what he was looking for, about getting the call regarding Dunleavy, about meeting him in NYC, etc, etc. It makes you feel like he's including us in the process, which is how alums and fans SHOULD feel.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

A lot of buzz out at Devlin today. The one thing I came away with is that MD has big time basketball connections worldwide and plans to use them to bring in talent. He has a great eye for talent as he's responsible for the most current players that were selected to the NBA All Star game. I believe he said it was 6. He's a gym rat and hates to lose. He's been known to challenge his players at practice with shooting games etc.
He plans on playing to the strength of each player. Overall I was very impressed. There's probably less than a handful of coaches in the country that knows more about the game than he does. His biggest problem that he faces is selecting from the hundreds of applicants that want to be on his staff.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That's a pretty good problem to have, Tim.

I watched the presser, and am very excited to have him as our HC. I also like how he dodged the question about his son Baker possibly coming to join his staff. But I would hope that Baker joins his dad, if he can work for him (not all sons can work for their fathers). Baker has only worked for Jay Wright (a Great Coach!) and it's always good to have some diversity before becoming a head coach. I'd love to see him come here as the HC in waiting.

But Mike Dunleavy Sr. and Troy Dannen (with a big assist from President Fitts) knocked it WAY out of the park today.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ouachita Wave
Trickle

It's beating a dead horse at this point but the difference in professionalism between TD and the previous regime is just astonishing. Listening to his PC, it's obvious that TD has real, next level talent.
Ouachita Wave
Trickle

Also, just realizing this, when was the last time Tulane got their first choice for 2 successive coaching hires? Fritz and Dunleavy, just says volumes about TD.
sader24
Tsunami

The last person's opinion I'm concerned with is Timmy Byrd.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:That's a pretty good problem to have, Tim.

I watched the presser, and am very excited to have him as our HC. I also like how he dodged the question about his son Baker possibly coming to join his staff. But I would hope that Baker joins his dad, if he can work for him (not all sons can work for their fathers). Baker has only worked for Jay Wright (a Great Coach!) and it's always good to have some diversity before becoming a head coach. I'd love to see him come here as the HC in waiting.

But Mike Dunleavy Sr. and Troy Dannen (with a big assist from President Fitts) knocked it WAY out of the park today.
I spoke to coach for a little while after the PC. He's an impressive guy to say the least. I have no doubt that he'll have us playing in the NCAA's very soon.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Conference championships, bowl games, and NCAA tournament appearances! Oh my!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Conference championships, bowl games, and NCAA tournament appearances! Oh my!
I'll drink to that. :cheers:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

Jeff Duncan predicts that Tulane could become "Louisiana's basketball achool."

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... =484969298
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:Jeff Duncan predicts that Tulane could become "Louisiana's basketball achool."

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... =484969298
Encouraging and impressive!
Tulane Class of 1981