Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://twitter.com/garlandgillen/statu ... 8286766080

Anyone got thoughts on the new name on this list? Mike Dunleavy Sr.?
Last edited by RobertM320 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
SobeWave
Ripple

Hot off the Press Finalists?? credible source? Greenberg listed. Mike Dunleavy Sr. is very interesting

Garland Gillen Verified account ‏@garlandgillen 2h2 hours ago
The latest on the #Tulane basketball head coaching search.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I like the idea of Mike Dunleavy, but would want Shammond Williams to stay. We'd need others on the staff with deeper D1 coaching experience. And someone who has ties to the community as well. Not a bad hire, but one that would make a splash, but bring a lot of questions as well. I'd take him over Gottleib, for sure.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
SobeWave
Ripple

My Rankings based on the rumored names

1 Greenberg
2 Dunleavy
3 Grant
4 Drew
5 Stansbury

Who are your top 5?
DrBox
Riptide

SobeWave wrote:Hot off the Press Finalists?? credible source? Greenberg listed. Mike Dunleavy Sr. is very interesting

Garland Gillen Verified account ‏@garlandgillen 2h2 hours ago
The latest on the #Tulane basketball head coaching search.

Why? Mediocre NBA coach. 61 years old. Never coached college.
I remember Bob Hill at Fordham...what a mess that was.
OUG
Riptide

Pat Forde saying Dunleavy is the leading candidate. Not a done deal but could be very soon.

He says he will have a story up soon.

I don't know what to make of it. He is 62, and struggled in his last coaching stint in LA (admittedly with some nightmare ownership and management in place). Never coached in college, so has never recruited. Does he have the energy and the passion needed to make us a winner? I'm skeptical.
OUG
Riptide

CBS Sports and ESPN reporting now too. CBS Sports saying we have a verbal agreement in place with Dunleavy.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Didn't see that coming. He does have ties to NOLA. His wife is from here. Maybe he brings his son, who is currently an assistant at Villanova?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I like the idea of Mike Dunleavy, but would want Shammond Williams to stay. We'd need others on the staff with deeper D1 coaching experience. And someone who has ties to the community as well. Not a bad hire, but one that would make a splash, but bring a lot of questions as well. I'd take him over Gottleib, for sure.
Same here. I'm good with this only if Shammond stays.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lano
Ripple

I think our new coach needs his own thread. Unexpected hire but I am optimistic. At the very least he will increase the name brand of our team and put us in the national spotlight, which should translate into a uptick in recruiting.
Last edited by lano on Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SobeWave
Ripple

Via Scot Kushner
I can confirm #Tulane is close to hiring Mike Dunleavy, Sr. as its men's basketball coach. First reported by @YahooForde
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I like the idea of Mike Dunleavy, but would want Shammond Williams to stay. We'd need others on the staff with deeper D1 coaching experience. And someone who has ties to the community as well. Not a bad hire, but one that would make a splash, but bring a lot of questions as well. I'd take him over Gottleib, for sure.
Same here. I'm good with this only if Shammond stays.
Staff is a huge key here. His son is a top recruiter at Villanova...please!

He has several NOLA/Tulane connections.
anEngineer
Riptide

This is hard to not like. You can throw out negatives like never coached college and too old but this is a major impact hire and will have sports shows talking up Tulane basketball as being serious. A guy like Dunleavy can get quality assistants and that's where the quality of the product can really be enhanced. Nice get for Troy Dannen. Apperently, outsiders can be sold on him and the future of Tulane Athletics.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Trust in Troy.

Troy Dannen continues to knock it out of the park. To be clear, I have no idea whether Dunleavy winds up a good college coach but Dannen is quickly rebranding Tulane Athletics as a destination job run by and for professionals.

At a minimum, we have a former NBA coach of the year on the sidelines in Fogelman. Meanwhile, it's only been 24 hours since someone thumbed their nose at the idea of someone choosing Tulane over Valporaiso.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Should get us some national buzz this weekend during the Sweet Sixteen as well.
lano
Ripple

Garland GillenVerified account
‏@garlandgillen
Source confirms Mike Dunleavy, Sr. will be the head basketball coach at #Tulane. Source says contract isn't signed yet, but just formality
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Didn't see that coming. He does have ties to NOLA. His wife is from here. Maybe he brings his son, who is currently an assistant at Villanova?
Could be part of his motivation to take the job setting his son up to be his successor.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
SobeWave
Ripple

Big time coach. Shocked he took this job. High school kids will want to play for an NBA coach bc of his experience and connections at the next level. Chris Mullin is crushing it at ST John's with recruits. And Larry Brown has always won at the college level.

Huge hire. Very excited.
Jaxwave
Swell

Bingo! I like. Villanova top assistant. Love their system.
RobertM320
Green Wave

TD continues to send the message we're serious about winning. Are you listening Big XII?
dpm wave
Swell

His son, Baker, is Asst. HC at 'Nova.
Jay Wright isn't going anywhere for a loooooooooong time.
Perhaps, Dad brings Baker over with him??
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I think it will turn out well. It really is nice to have an AD we trust.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Any thoughts on what this does for our current players/recruits? Do you think we keep them?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Any thoughts on what this means for our current players/recruits? Do you think they'll stay?