Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

According to the other site in the original version of this article SK said Tulane tripled the basketball budget in order to get CMD :

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... ball-coach

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:According to the other site in the original version of this article SK said Tulane tripled the basketball budget in order to get CMD :

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... ball-coach
So when Rick Dickson said Tulane finally had everything it needed to win championships, he was only off by 3X in basketball? Because that means he was likely off by at least 3X on football. Just making the point that the degree of incompetence there was stunning, and something no program could overcome. That's the kind of negligence that Boards are legally obligated to prevent.
puffy
Surge

Robert1969 wrote:I love this hire. I think it is a great move. Maybe he can get Dylan O to reconsider.
For nonsensical reasons, I immediately thought "Dylan Osean".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOTaRRCUMc
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Arriving via private jet!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

Actually that looks like a Netjet. So, it maybe more like "semi-private."
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dunleavy checked out football practice today and met Willie Fritz.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Dunleavy checked out football practice today and met Willie Fritz.
Coach Fritz has too much hair to run with that crowd.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Not everyone is sold yet. Riverside head coach Timmy Byrd said its a head scratcher with Ed Daniels.
https://www.facebook.com/WGNOSports/vid ... 116397912/
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

memo to MD...Let's Kik Some Damn Azz !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

I didn't see Coach Byrd offering to take the job. Looks more like Ed Daniels has an opinion and conveniently interviewed a coach that had the same opinion.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I didn't see Coach Byrd offering to take the job. Looks more like Ed Daniels has an opinion and conveniently interviewed a coach that had the same opinion.
I think the fact that we have two players from that coach is more likely why Ed interviewed him.
I think Ed will come out with a column.
Tulane Class of 1981
wavemania
Surge

Funny, I was actually wondering if he would take the gig. He has won at Riverside for a good while now. But I am glad not everyone is drinking the kool-aid. The man hasnt coached in over 6 years, AND his W-L record in the NBA is under .500
Robert1969
Riptide

He met with players today. Video on Twitter. He said "champions think like champions before they become champions."

He said he coaches like black jack. He plays the percentages. Says teams may beat Tulane, but not with what they normally do. In other words, he will attack their strengths.
DrBox
Riptide

Yes, Riverside is a better job. good lord.

He made a good point about high energy. Clark definitely had that. And I agree that the value of recruiting locally is underrated in basketball. However, note to Ed - we're after 4 star players, thank you.
Last edited by DrBox on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenphantom
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:FYI, MD does commentary for NBA TV. The guy knows Bball and seems to have plenty left in the tank.

It's the TU in me, but I am a little nervous there still is no formal announcement.
Stockholm Syndrome symptoms. There are professional adults in charge now.
that comment sounds closer to the opposite of Stockholm Syndrome. He doesn't trust Tulane based on history, despite a change in leadership. SS is when you show empathy/positive feelings toward your captors. Kind of like when the Cowen/Dickson supporters would justify their actions and debacles, even after more than a decade of incompetence.
Jaxwave
Swell

Is that the Timmy Bird who "played" football at LSU? Does he even know that Tulane has won in the past with a mixture of La. And national players. He sounds like the local football coaches who liked getting their lesser prospects scholarships to Tulane under CJ. I for one would like to see a wider swath of recruits than just La. ones. Tulane is a nationally known university who can appeal to national recruits.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Not everyone is sold yet. Riverside head coach Timmy Bird said its a head scratcher with Ed Daniels.
https://www.facebook.com/WGNOSports/vid ... 116397912/
A silly, silly interview. It's a different game? No it isn't. It's still 5-on-5 and the hoops are still 10 feet tall. The administration of it is. And we have competent administrators. (edit: nevermind). If you say that it's dumb because Perry Clark knew how to recruit locally, you can't be foolish enough not to know that Perry Clark recruited nationally. IIRC, Chris Cameron was from Georgia, Corey Childs from Detroit, Ledaryl Billingsley was from Chicago, etc.
puffy
Surge

You can count on one hand the number of Top 100 recruits Louisiana produces each year. It's important for Tulane to get their share of the best local recruits, but they won't be able to compete at the top of the AAC exclusively with Louisiana players. High school basketball matters more outside of the state than inside.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:FYI, MD does commentary for NBA TV. The guy knows Bball and seems to have plenty left in the tank.

It's the TU in me, but I am a little nervous there still is no formal announcement.
Stockholm Syndrome symptoms. There are professional adults in charge now.
that comment sounds closer to the opposite of Stockholm Syndrome. He doesn't trust Tulane based on history, despite a change in leadership. SS is when you show empathy/positive feelings toward your captors. Kind of like when the Cowen/Dickson supporters would justify their actions and debacles, even after more than a decade of incompetence.
So the affects of Stockholm Syndrome are changing. There may be a new term that is more appropriate than Stockholm Syndrome, but it's the same root cause underlying. It used to be the fans echoing the "we are who we are" or some version of it. Certainly, 6-12 months ago very few here believed we'd be able to lure a former NBA coach of the year to Tulane.

The distrust of "maybe this good news isn't for real" is a remnant of that ugliness. It will go away for good once the good vibes turn into good teams and wins.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:You can count on one hand the number of Top 100 recruits Louisiana produces each year. It's important for Tulane to get their share of the best local recruits, but they won't be able to compete at the top of the AAC exclusively with Louisiana players. High school basketball matters more outside of the state than inside.
+1
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave
Riptide

After watching the Introductory Press Conference there should be no doubt that this is an incredible hire for Tulane. I even enjoyed the subtle swipe that Fitts and Dannen took at their predecessors.

Dunleavy is connected in the basketball community all over the world. He is going to bring unprecedented talent and success to Tulane basketball. Let's enjoy the ride!
DrBox
Riptide

He killed the PC
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:After watching the Introductory Press Conference there should be no doubt that this is an incredible hire for Tulane. I even enjoyed the subtle swipe that Fitts and Dannen took at their predecessors.

Dunleavy is connected in the basketball community all over the world. He is going to bring unprecedented talent and success to Tulane basketball. Let's enjoy the ride!
Win or lose, this is a solid hire. He is an incredible X/O guy with recruiting connections all over the world. Add in the fact that he has had three kids go through the D1 process then one plays int eh pros and ht other coaches a top 10 team.

At this point I am more concerned with losing TD in a few years as opposed to anyone else.
RobertM320
Green Wave

When he was asked about assistants, he kind of hinted that he's been contacted by a lot of people already that might be interested.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson