Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenphantom
Swell

COChip wrote:Dunleavy=Banquet Bob
What NFL team did Bob coach?

Ruski
Swell

This hire has Tulane as the number 2 story on ESPN's central homepage. That alone should qualify this as a huge success at this point.
galvezwave
Swell

I'm feeling it.
JerseyWave
Riptide

How bout this for a staff,

Shammond Williams, holdover from last staff, AAU connections, recruiter
Baker Dunleavy from Villanova, Coaches son, (Willie Fritz hired his son)
Randy Livingston, Andrew Lopez tweeted to keep an eye on this, New Orleans native, coached by Dunleavy in the NBA, spent a lot of time on Tulane's campus when he was in high school.
COChip
Low Tide

greenphantom wrote:
What college team did Dunleavy coach? When's the last time he recruited a HS kid? How about playing defense? What's he been doing for the last 5 years?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wavemania
Surge

I'm more in line with Greenie78. I just dont like hiring a coach with a losing record. If that is the case, just keep Ed. Really, though I am willing to give him a chance, but Tim Floyd has the same pedigree AND he coached very successfully in college. He took a Hornets team with 2 cancers to the playoffs(Davis and Mashburn) Not to mention local connection.
shorebreak
Ripple

wavemania wrote:I'm more in line with Greenie78. I just dont like hiring a coach with a losing record. If that is the case, just keep Ed.
Thankfully you are not our AD. Conroy vs. Dunleavy isn't a close call. Unless you think it's a good plan to continue to lose a lot.
wavemania wrote:Really, though I am willing to give him a chance, but Tim Floyd has the same pedigree AND he coached very successfully in college. He took a Hornets team with 2 cancers to the playoffs(Davis and Mashburn) Not to mention local connection.
WGAF about Tim Floyd, and why do you even think he's relevant?
lurker123
Swell

COChip wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
What college team did Dunleavy coach? When's the last time he recruited a HS kid? How about playing defense? What's he been doing for the last 5 years?
I'm curious can you describe Dunleavy's pro coaching style from the pros since you seem to be intimately familiar with it?

If you don't recall, one thing his teams did do is play defense which by coincidence was this Tulane's team massive downfall along with no consistent shooting. If Dunleavy could make a bunch of prima donnas do it, I feel reasonably comfortable that for the first time in years we'll see Tulane defend the weak side next year even if the average age of the team is 20 years old.

His assistants will do the recruiting and Dunleavy will do the closing. The same system used by every successful college coach in any sport in America. Interesting test case will be if he can flip Osetkowski who is currently being recruited by P5 programs across the U.S.

As you note, all to be proven.

Let's remember Tulane finished DFL in a strong basketball conference last year with emphasis on the D part and capped off with its best returning player announcing his intentions to leave.

One more question: who do you propose that Tulane hire knowing that its program is coming off a dumpster season with attendance to match, it did not have a Larry Brown budget, and Osetkowski was leaving, that would have challenged NCAA playoffs for top college basketball story of the news cycle? Just asking.

P.S., As lagniappe, you can expect every NBA beat writer making the trek to Freret street next year when in town to cover the Pelicans and writing about it. Despite what Doris Burke may say, I guess I missed all those stories over the past three years on Conroy and Tulane MBB since the New York Times covered the opening of the Hertz Center until ironically he was let go.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Dunleavy’s name recognition alone could help fill some of those seats. When news of Tulane’s pending agreement broke Friday afternoon, “Mike Dunleavy” became a nationwide trending topic on Twitter and a report was on the front page of ESPN.com.

No such thing as bad publicity. Definitely a high-profile hire.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The fact that MD hasn't coached in 5 years is worrisome. He should bring in some solid assistant coaches and hopefully retain at least Shammond Williams. He should many connections nationwide for talent that we haven't seen at Tulane. I'd say the only negative would be his age. Does he still have the energy to coach young kids. As far as recruiting goes he'll be the closer as is Larry Brown. The key will be to see who he brings in as his assistants. I would now believe that no one else transfers out and our current commits stay committed. Dunleavy will fill seats especially with knowledgeable basketball fans and students.
The local media will cover us better as well. Dunleavy is a widely respected basketball name across this country.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Age ?!?!?...Compared to Larry Brown ...Dunleavy is a young whipper snapper..... Brown is 76 years old !!!!... not many, if any posted anything about his age when he was hired at SMU.... the assistants will do the leg work, MD the will close the deal....and let's face it U only need two or three solid players to make a mark in college basketball on a yearly basis...several thing will improve instantly..defense will be played...point guard play will improve....passing and moving without the ball will be seen....no more of Mitch Landrieu's "statue offense" will be seen on Ferret St....This is a solid hire, here is a coach that up and coming assistants want to learn from....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
SobeWave
Ripple

WOW!!!! Had to make sure this wasn't a dream last night. This is a HUGE hire in every way. We just hired an NBA COACH OF THE YEAR!!!! My only concern is that the Pelicans steal him away next year to be GM/Coach.... Troy Dannen early lead for AD of the year.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!
puffy
Surge

Agree tpstulane; this hire should stem the tide of player exodus this season. The opportunity to be coached by someone with the level of NBA playing and coaching pedigree like Dunleavy isn't one afforded to many college players currently, and will be incredibly hard to pass up for anyone currently on the roster.

I am not concerned about MD's age for a couple of reasons: 1) for someone used to the grind of an 82 game NBA season, +/- playoffs, a 35-40 game season will be cake. 2) as golfnut69 mentioned, the assistants will be key in recruiting. They'll do most of the heavy lifting (visits, calls, texts, etc), and MD will close the deal, though I'm sure early on MD will play a more active role while trying to build his program. 3) I'm sure TD gauged the level of "juice" left in MD and came away with no concerns. If he can give Tulane 3 or 4 great seasons, then that will be 3 or 4 more great seasons than the 30 & 40 somethings who previously roamed the sidelines since 2000 have given.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If MD can give us 3-4 GOOD seasons that will be more than the 30 & 40 somethings have given us in the past 15 years.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
SobeWave
Ripple

JerseyWave wrote:How bout this for a staff,

Randy Livingston, Andrew Lopez tweeted to keep an eye on this, New Orleans native, coached by Dunleavy in the NBA, spent a lot of time on Tulane's campus when he was in high school.
I wonder if he can land Baker...

http://www.metro.us/philadelphia/why-vi ... qgyyqQP22/

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2014/12 ... -be-one-of
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TD is fast becoming the Rod ( Twilight Zone) Serling of Athletic Directors...he always surprises with the endings.... hopefully there will not be that many more
DrBox
Riptide

SobeWave wrote:

I wonder if he can land Baker...

http://www.metro.us/philadelphia/why-vi ... qgyyqQP22/

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2014/12 ... -be-one-of
I would think it would have to be a coach in waiting situation. Villanova is obviously a better job than Tulane. But the question is whether an assistant there launches you to a better job than HC at Tulane. The answer is no, and on that basis, I'd think this is possible.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wavemania wrote:I'm more in line with Greenie78. I just dont like hiring a coach with a losing record. If that is the case, just keep Ed. Really, though I am willing to give him a chance, but Tim Floyd has the same pedigree AND he coached very successfully in college. He took a Hornets team with 2 cancers to the playoffs(Davis and Mashburn) Not to mention local connection.
Dunleavy has forgotten more about the game of basketball than Ed Conroy knows about it.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

Would be some great assistants!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DrBox
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:H
How gracious of him. And then he went to LSU right when Tulane hoops was in its heyday.

Anyway, does anyone know what kind of coaching experience Livingston has?
OGSB
Swell

DrBox wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:H
How gracious of him. And then he went to LSU right when Tulane hoops was in its heyday.

Anyway, does anyone know what kind of coaching experience Livingston has?
According to Wikipedia, he was head coach of something called Idaho Stampede from 2010-12.
Livin' rent free
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:TD is fast becoming the Rod ( Twilight Zone) Serling of Athletic Directors...he always surprises with the endings.... hopefully there will not be that many more
...except for the upgrading of facilities and getting TPS to write a check !!!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:TD is fast becoming the Rod ( Twilight Zone) Serling of Athletic Directors...he always surprises with the endings.... hopefully there will not be that many more
...except for the upgrading of facilities and getting TPS to write a check !!!!!
Lol. I write a little check. :mrgreen:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981