UCONN series split (snowed out last game)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
chain gang x man
Swell

Friday 80% chance of rain. High 63 Low 42
Saturday 20% chance of rain. High 55 Low 34
Sunday 40% chance of SNOW. High 37 Low 22

Being the long johns

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I wonder what dumb azz at the AAC office is in charge of Scheduling
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:I wonder what dumb azz at the AAC office is in charge of Scheduling
Embarrassing to say the least.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The snow forecast is very touch and go, but not expected until Sunday night into Monday. It really wasn't right to schedule games AT UConn right at the start of the conference schedule. Guess they were paying back for two years of UConn playing football in Yulman.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:The snow forecast is very touch and go, but not expected until Sunday night into Monday. It really wasn't right to schedule games AT UConn right at the start of the conference schedule. Guess they were paying back for two years of UConn playing football in Yulman.
Especially when you have four schools in Gulf Coast states that could be the home team.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

At the same time, it's not reasonable to think that UConn won't play any home conference series until May. High Schools and other Amateur leagues are starting up this week. Heck, I remember many years ago going to opening day at Yankee Stadium with snow falling.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:At the same time, it's not reasonable to think that UConn won't play any home conference series until May. High Schools and other Amateur leagues are starting up this week. Heck, I remember many years ago going to opening day at Yankee Stadium with snow falling.
Maybe not May, but another week or two wouldn't have hurt. To have them home the very first conference weekend doesn't make sense. This isn't football where you can consider it part of home field advantage.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:At the same time, it's not reasonable to think that UConn won't play any home conference series until May. High Schools and other Amateur leagues are starting up this week. Heck, I remember many years ago going to opening day at Yankee Stadium with snow falling.
Maybe not May, but another week or two wouldn't have hurt. To have them home the very first conference weekend doesn't make sense. This isn't football where you can consider it part of home field advantage.
While I agree that UConn need not be home the first weekend of conference play, I don't understand why the weather shouldn't be considered part of home field advantage? Baseball is played these days in weather that is sometimes below freezing, often below 40 degrees. Is it tough on the warm weather teams? Absolutely. But so is going to New Orleans when it's hot and humid, especially for a team that's from this far North.

But after taking a look at UConn's schedule, with them opening conference play at home vs. Tulane and seeing them end the season with a 3 game series in Tampa in late May, I have to agree, the guy that made the schedule should get another job.

We're in a conference with tremendous North/South diversity. So long as we're in this make up of this conference, we'll have to get used to it. Keep in mind that UConn tied Tulane in the regular season standings last year. I'm sure coach Pierce is telling the team to suck it up and don't make it an excuse. Excuses are like...well...you know the saying. It ends with "....and they all stink."
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What Pierce is telling them is he's going to send someone to the hardware store and buy heaters for the dug out. That's what he said on his show Monday night. He's been there and done that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Vlvwave
Ripple

Heaters in our dugout not a new thing. We had them for years courtesy of the Grounds Krewe.
Bearwave
High Tide

Vlvwave wrote:Heaters in our dugout not a new thing. We had them for years courtesy of the Grounds Krewe.
True. Baseball should never be played above the Mason Dixon line until late Arpil.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
JerseyWave
Riptide

Just stop being a bunch of pu**ys about the weather. High School teams and little leaguers are playing ball outside in the Northeast in March in the cold windy weather. And our Football team is playing @UConn at the end of November too. Expect the weather to suck for that game too.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
While I agree that UConn need not be home the first weekend of conference play, I don't understand why the weather shouldn't be considered part of home field advantage? Baseball is played these days in weather that is sometimes below freezing, often below 40 degrees. Is it tough on the warm weather teams? Absolutely. But so is going to New Orleans when it's hot and humid, especially for a team that's from this far North.

But after taking a look at UConn's schedule, with them opening conference play at home vs. Tulane and seeing them end the season with a 3 game series in Tampa in late May, I have to agree, the guy that made the schedule should get another job.

We're in a conference with tremendous North/South diversity. So long as we're in this make up of this conference, we'll have to get used to it. Keep in mind that UConn tied Tulane in the regular season standings last year. I'm sure coach Pierce is telling the team to suck it up and don't make it an excuse. Excuses are like...well...you know the saying. It ends with "....and they all stink."
Because it's baseball. They don't play in the rain, either. When I was 10, we'd play in the rain all summer. So, does that make everyone else soft?

Also, a player reacting slower due to the cold isn't going to possibly get killed in football the way he could if he gets hit by a line drive in baseball.
chain gang x man
Swell

Friday

Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Patchy fog before 1pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 65. South wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Friday Night

A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday

A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night

A chance of rain showers before 5am, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday

A chance of snow showers before 9am. Partly sunny, with a high near 39. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

When was the last time the weather people got it right?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Friday's game time is now moved up to 12noon CST
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote:
Vlvwave wrote:Heaters in our dugout not a new thing. We had them for years courtesy of the Grounds Krewe.
True. Baseball should never be played above the Mason Dixon line until late Arpil.
But it is.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
Because it's baseball. They don't play in the rain, either. When I was 10, we'd play in the rain all summer. So, does that make everyone else soft?

Also, a player reacting slower due to the cold isn't going to possibly get killed in football the way he could if he gets hit by a line drive in baseball.
Baseball is played in the rain, just not in steady heavy rain. Do you watch MLB? It's played in snow, too.

I think people react slower in the heat than in the cold. That's just me, and maybe the fact that I lived most of my life where there's a true winter skews my opinion. But the highest paid athletes in the sport play the game below freezing, and you can bet the guys paying their salaries wouldn't subject them to unnecessary injury risk.

I'm not buying that argument at all. The game is played 9 months of the year. Often that means being subjected to weather that's not sub tropical.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I didn't say they don't ever play in cold weather. But I have seen MLB games cancelled due to cold. And MLB is dealing with 162 games x 30 teams, so they're limited as to what they can do regarding scheduling. College baseball is a different animal. Just because they CAN play in cold weather doesn't mean you shouldn't TRY to avoid it if possible. Same reason the NFL shouldn't schedule Dome teams at home in Sept and then on the road in Dec. But then again, like you, maybe I'M biased because I've lived ALL of my life where there's NO true winter.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No Merrill again :

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... 16aaa.html

The Friday game is at noon CT.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Confident going into conference play:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I didn't say they don't ever play in cold weather. But I have seen MLB games cancelled due to cold. And MLB is dealing with 162 games x 30 teams, so they're limited as to what they can do regarding scheduling. College baseball is a different animal. Just because they CAN play in cold weather doesn't mean you shouldn't TRY to avoid it if possible. Same reason the NFL shouldn't schedule Dome teams at home in Sept and then on the road in Dec. But then again, like you, maybe I'M biased because I've lived ALL of my life where there's NO true winter.
You'd think the schedule makers would be on the ball with this especially in the pros. But they're not. How many times do you see Miami host the Bills and Jets in the early part of the year and have to go there (and Foxboro) late in the season? Complaining doesn't change anything, so we have to suck it up and PLAY BALL.
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

From d1

Tulane @ UConn – Kay’s Big Test

Stephen Alemais is back healthy for Tulane, and Jake Rogers is having a breakout offensive season behind the plate. Both hitters are potential late first round candidates this June, and their righty pop at their respective positions make them particularly intriguing. These two in the heart of the Tulane lineup will make for a highly fascinating test for UConn ace lefty Anthony Kay. Kay has carries his 91-94 mph deep into games in his most recent outings, and he consistently has topped at 95 mph. His sharp breaking ball gives him a true swing and miss option, but his 80-83 mph changeup will be a major key in combatting these dangerous Tulane righty bats.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

Baseball is played in the rain, just not in steady heavy rain. Do you watch MLB? It's played in snow, too.

I think people react slower in the heat than in the cold. That's just me, and maybe the fact that I lived most of my life where there's a true winter skews my opinion. But the highest paid athletes in the sport play the game below freezing, and you can bet the guys paying their salaries wouldn't subject them to unnecessary injury risk.

I'm not buying that argument at all. The game is played 9 months of the year. Often that means being subjected to weather that's not sub tropical.
You can't compare the MLB to UCONN. An MLB stadium is going to have lights, a professional grounds crew, probably a field that drains better and games can be made up. People aren't saying UCONN shouldn't have the 1st conference weekend at home because they get an advantage playing in that weather, we're saying they shouldn't get the 1st weekend at home because there's a higher probability that all 3 games won't be played. Pretty simple
chain gang x man
Swell

Coach Pierce's quote from The Advocate

They also are much more used to playing in nasty weather, prompting Pierce to question the wisdom of sending any team to Storrs in early April.

“I’m a little disappointed in the scheduling,” he said. “It looks like right now going into AAC play, all four Southern schools are going to all four northern schools for opening weekend. That’s something that really I feel like can be adjusted.”
winwave
Top of the WAVE