Unfair

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
cubs23n17
Ripple

I'm not hiding the fact that I'm a Conroy supporter but Troy Dannen makes his first national blunder with "sources" leaking Tulanes' intention to fire coach Conroy during their tournament efforts? How does this look for a prospect hire? Gee if I go there they may fire me on national television during a game I'm coaching and win with all my family and friends watching!!!! Regardless of how this really played out its just not what Troy Dannen said he was going to do in treating his people with respect.
Last edited by cubs23n17 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertM320
Green Wave

cubs23n17 wrote:I'm not hiding the fact that I'm a Conroy supporter but Troy Dannen makes his first national blunder with "sources" leaking Tulanes' intention to fire coach Conroy during their tournament efforts? How does this look for a prospect hire? Gee if I go there they may fire me on national television during a game I'm coaching and win with all my family and friends watching!!!! Regardless of how this really played out its just not what Troy Dannen said he was going to do in treating his people with respect.
Which is why you have to wonder who the source was. There's still some RD loyalists in Wilson Center. If they figure Dannen is cleaning house and its just a matter of time before they're gone, I could see them doing something like that. The way I look at it, anyone in the Wilson Center who honestly felt the RD was doing a good job was part of the problem, and as such not a true Friend of Tulane. So it wouldn't bother them to make us look bad.

Then again, who expected us to be even playing tonight, much less tomorrow? Lose the game last night and this isn't an issue.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenLantern
Riptide

cubs23n17 wrote:I'm not hiding the fact that I'm a Conroy supporter but Troy Dannen makes his first national blunder with "sources" leaking Tulanes' intention to fire coach Conroy during their tournament efforts? How does this look for a prospect hire? Gee if I go there they may fire me on national television during a game I'm coaching and win with all my family and friends watching!!!! Regardless of how this really played out its just not what Troy Dannen said he was going to do in treating his people with respect.
You're making a lot of assumptions. Stating that Troy Dannon made a 'national blunder' implies that he was complicit in making the leak. That would be very hard to believe.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I hate to get all personal, but if you are a "Conroy supporter" then you don't know much about basketball or are a friend of his who values Conroy over the Tulane athletics program.

That being said, you are assuming this is a blunder, when it could equally be Dannen intentionally dropping the axe in the event such a win happened and the ole Tulane faithful who know nothing about "winning and losing" would get all bent out of shape over a fluke win vs Houston, such as you are suggesting.

It's not clear that this was a blunder at all.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Sorry again, but only an @sshole would call himself a Conroy supporter but suggest "the honeymoon is over" for Dannen after 3 months on the job. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
cubs23n17
Ripple

jonathanjoseph wrote:Sorry again, but only an @sshole would call himself a Conroy supporter but suggest "the honeymoon is over" for Dannen after 3 months on the job. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I may be an asshole and made an emotional assumption post but Troy dannens organization allowed/leaked a firing to the kids and coach while they were playing in the conference tournament. And yes I do value Conroy more than Tulane.

I also remember Troy Dannen on. Tv stating that he does not fire coaches doing the right things during the season speaking about Conroy. Last I checked the season is still being played. Hope Troy enjoys the game tomorrow and supporting his athletes and Lou dabneys last chance.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Cowen and Dickson are still on the payroll. It wouldn't surprise me at all if these two clowns or one of their minions are trying to undermine the new leadership at Tulane.
cubs23n17
Ripple

JerseyWave wrote:Cowen and Dickson are still on the payroll. It wouldn't surprise me at all if these two clowns or one of their minions are trying to undermine the new leadership at Tulane.
I hope your right
greenphantom
Swell

What leak? Who in their right mind isn't 100% sure EC is getting canned right after the season.
cubs23n17
Ripple

greenphantom wrote:What leak? Who in their right mind isn't 100% sure EC is getting canned right after the season.
Then he should have been let go before the tournament
austxwave
High Tide

greenphantom wrote:What leak? Who in their right mind isn't 100% sure EC is getting canned right after the season.
Exactly! This is a results oriented business and the lack of results warranted a termination long ago. Who is to say that Conroy didn't leak this himself? Better yet, why does anyone care that it was leaked? Who does it affect?
Wavetime
Swell

cubs23n17 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Sorry again, but only an @sshole would call himself a Conroy supporter but suggest "the honeymoon is over" for Dannen after 3 months on the job. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I may be an a**hole and made an emotional assumption post but Troy dannens organization allowed/leaked a firing to the kids and coach while they were playing in the conference tournament. And yes I do value Conroy more than Tulane.

I also remember Troy Dannen on. Tv stating that he does not fire coaches doing the right things during the season speaking about Conroy. Last I checked the season is still being played. Hope Troy enjoys the game tomorrow and supporting his athletes and Lou dabneys last chance.

I'd bet a paycheck that TD didn't know anything about the leak. The Hullabaloo ran a story about this, heck, posters on this board said the something earlier in the week. Mr. Dannen has too much class to plant a leak like this. I do agree that the leak should not have happened, however, it did. No one told the kids, I'm sure they look at their phones or someone told them via twitter etc. The whole thing sucks, but hey, we probably won tonight because of it.

Conroy fired himself. He does not have a winning season in conference games in 6 years. Only 11 wins this year. He simply is out in his league. I am impressed with his character and his will to win and the love that he has for our university and the players. However, he's not the coach that we need to win in this league.
cubs23n17
Ripple

austxwave wrote:
Exactly! This is a results oriented business and the lack of results warranted a termination long ago. Who is to say that Conroy didn't leak this himself? Better yet, why does anyone care that it was leaked? Who does it affect?
Interviewed after the game Conroy said three guys behind their bench was yelling at him and the kids that he was fired, he also stated its too bad whoever made the decision wasn't thinking of the kids playing and that they are the madness nothing else.
cubs23n17
Ripple

cubs23n17 wrote:
austxwave wrote:
Interviewed after the game Conroy said three guys behind their bench was yelling at him and the kids that he was fired, he also stated its too bad whoever made the decision wasn't thinking of the kids playing and that they are the madness nothing else.
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/3/1 ... uring-game
ajcalhoun
Swell

I notice that nowhere in all of this faux outrage is anyone saying Conroy shouldn't be fired. They're only complaining about the timing.
God Bless Everyone!
shorebreak
Ripple

I feel for Conroy or anyone getting canned, but this is really a tempest in a teapot. No shit he was getting fired, everyone who pays the slightest attention to the program knew it was coming, including Conroy unless he is completely delusional. And as far as the timing, hopefully it motivates the team and gives him a good send off.
cubs23n17
Ripple

shorebreak wrote:I feel for Conroy or anyone getting canned, but this is really a tempest in a teapot. No sh*t he was getting fired, everyone who pays the slightest attention to the program knew it was coming, including Conroy unless he is completely delusional. And as far as the timing, hopefully it motivates the team and gives him a good send off.

It does call into question the capacity of Tulane to properly handle their department moving forward, if you cannot properly handle the termination of a coach without sending a nationally advertised signal of ineptness how can you expect to attract personnel to "elevate" the program?

Troy better be careful to not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I do know Coach Conroy will be respected and classy after the AAC tournament.

I also know Tulane Basketball will still be flying Southwest to their games and paying their head coach less than assistants in the same league. And I also know they would not stand behind coach when he wanted to fight back having his players paid to go to Alabama and San Diego State.
DrBox
Riptide

For goodness sakes.
shorebreak
Ripple

cubs23n17 wrote:
shorebreak wrote:I feel for Conroy or anyone getting canned, but this is really a tempest in a teapot. No sh*t he was getting fired, everyone who pays the slightest attention to the program knew it was coming, including Conroy unless he is completely delusional. And as far as the timing, hopefully it motivates the team and gives him a good send off.

It does call into question the capacity of Tulane to properly handle their department moving forward, if you cannot properly handle the termination of a coach without sending a nationally advertised signal of ineptness how can you expect to attract personnel to "elevate" the program?
I get it, but this sort of thing happens all the time in sports, college and pro. Blaming it on the AD without evidence is a little harsh. Hell, if someone outside the the loop wanted to just mess around they could have dropped the "leak" to the press because it was a 100% sure fire true prediction regardless.

I will punt on the other aspects of your post, but hopefully there's an immediate paradigm shift for the program
cubs23n17
Ripple

DrBox wrote:For goodness sakes.

Your right I apologize i'm being a tad dramatic, i just unfortunately let my temperature rise up a little to high.

I respect and have enjoyed befriending the Tulane athletics team and will obviously still cheer and support the wave.

It just hurt a little to watch a friend get embarrassed on national television.
DrBox
Riptide

Let's be clear.
It was ESPN and CBS that decided to report this in the middle of the game. It was "leaked" early in the afternoon and we don't know who leaked it.
Ed Conroy is a first rate guy. He worked hard and did his best. This sucks in a lot of ways.
But it's a tough business; and a results business and the results over 6 years haven't been close to what we need. And no southwest flights or underpaying him (????) can justify it.
Hornetswave
Low Tide

Coach Conroy is looking like a class A guy. I respect that. He is getting publicity on the way this is being handled. I say let's keep him this one last year. I think there will be improvements next year because of this fiasco.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

cubs23n17 wrote:

I may be an a**hole and made an emotional assumption post but Troy dannens organization allowed/leaked a firing to the kids and coach while they were playing in the conference tournament. And yes I do value Conroy more than Tulane.

Ok well end of your objective credibility here.

Ed has nothing on his resume to suggest he's a good D1A basketball coach, and yet has earned over $1M of Tulane's money plus whatever "gift" his buddy Rick Dickson gave him in additional guarantees that he doesn't deserve and hasn't earned.

He'll end up with >$1.5M of Tulane's money and, in speaking on behalf of the program, said that last place was "right where a program, like Tulane, was supposed to be".

Sorry, he seems like a really nice guy but I think many people would be thrilled to be so lucky.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

cubs23n17 wrote:

Troy better be careful to not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I do know Coach Conroy will be respected and classy after the AAC tournament.

I also know Tulane Basketball will still be flying Southwest to their games and paying their head coach less than assistants in the same league. And I also know they would not stand behind coach when he wanted to fight back having his players paid to go to Alabama and San Diego State.
Uh, yeah dude. That was Rick Dickson who did those things, the guy who Dannen replaced and is in the process of firing all of his hires and loyalists, Conroy being a prime example, to change that culture. Tulane's degree of respect in the college athletics world has surged as a result of Dannen, not the alternate sour grapes you are suggesting.

I'm very much looking forward to the time where Conroy is in Tulane's rear view mirror and you are gone from Tulane athletics forums. Best of luck to both of you going forward.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Hornetswave wrote:Coach Conroy is looking like a class A guy. I respect that. He is getting publicity on the way this is being handled. I say let's keep him this one last year. I think there will be improvements next year because of this fiasco.
Uh, no.