Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:Dannen ain't going to hire Gottlieb. Enough already.
Ya, it's just silly.
Maybe, maybe not. Hiring Steve Kerr, who had zero coaching experience, turned out pretty well for GS. I don't know enough about Gottlieb to suggest whether that's a good comparison or not, but the suggestion may not be "silly". We'll see if there's any reciprocal interest from Dannen.
I'm in your camp on this. Fred Hoiberg didn't have any experience.

My concern is more that he's so obnoxious and dogmatic that it would be tough to make recruiting inroads.
Overall, I don't see it as any riskier than hiring some coach who just had a couple of good years in a low major league.
I think you are asking the right question about how his media persona translates. How much of his "obnoxious" persona is a media creation, where sports talk radio is defined by being outrageous and obnoxious? If being obnoxious is just a schtick, and that could be turned into charisma and leadership applied in coaching, then he might be a great choice.

I don't know whether he does or doesn't have what it takes to make the TV --> Coaching transition, but I sure am glad that Troy Dannen is responsible for making that decision on behalf of Tulane.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

For a program like TU, Gottlieib is a complete non-starter IMO. So basically if any former player with straight up zero experience in either coaching or running an organization, who is now in the the basketball media circles, says they are interested then we should be too? Is that it? Nutty IMO. This program, at a min, needs someone with experience.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:For a program like TU, Gottlieib is a complete non-starter IMO. So basically if any former player with straight up zero experience in either coaching or running an organization, who is now in the the basketball media circles, says they are interested then we should be too? Is that it? Nutty IMO. This program, at a min, needs someone with experience.
+1000

Well said, MBA
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:Dannen ain't going to hire Gottlieb. Enough already.
Ya, it's just silly.
Maybe, maybe not. Hiring Steve Kerr, who had zero coaching experience, turned out pretty well for GS. I don't know enough about Gottlieb to suggest whether that's a good comparison or not, but the suggestion may not be "silly". We'll see if there's any reciprocal interest from Dannen.
There are some players that coaches and GM's know are going to transition rapidly and at a high level from Player to Coach. Steve Kerr is one of them. Jason Kidd is another. Doug Gottlieb, based upon his issues at Notre Dame, and not being involved/exposed/learning from a variety of coaches over the time he's been away from the game, has nothing to suggest he'd make that transition smoothly 14 years later.

I do not want Gottlieb. I am getting concerned that this is dragging out and good candidates are coming off the board. Rutgers just hired the Stony Brook coach.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:For a program like TU, Gottlieib is a complete non-starter IMO. So basically if any former player with straight up zero experience in either coaching or running an organization, who is now in the the basketball media circles, says they are interested then we should be too? Is that it? Nutty IMO. This program, at a min, needs someone with experience.
Wait a second, who is saying "any former player"? That's just you. This is "A" former player with no coaching experience, and Dannen is going to kick the tires to see IF Gottlieb could become ONE former player whose persona translates to coaching.

I don't know where anyone is getting "nutty", especially given a long history of there being a productive and reciprocal pipeline between coaching and TV hoops analyst.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Wait a second, who is saying "any former player"? That's just you. This is "A" former player with no coaching experience, and Dannen is going to kick the tires to see IF Gottlieb could become ONE former player whose persona translates to coaching.

I don't know where anyone is getting "nutty", especially given a long history of there being a productive and reciprocal pipeline between coaching and TV hoops analyst.

Not for 200+ RPI nobody programs. Plus the vast majority have more on their resume then hosting radio shows and doing a few TV spots.

Kick the tires I suppose, but I think it is crazy talk.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Not for 200+ RPI nobody programs. Plus the vast majority have more on their resume then hosting radio shows and doing a few TV spots.

Kick the tires I suppose, but I think it is crazy talk.
Well I have two issues with that. First, I think Dannen is not here to play any of this "we are who we are" Rick Dickson bull$hit. He's not selling this as an opportunity to be the coach of a "200+ RPI nobody", he's selling a potential destination job in one of the world's great cities. The kind of opportunity someone looking to make the leap would consider.

Second, you are splitting hairs on the resume issues. Either they have coaching experience or not.
GreenLantern
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote: Well I have two issues with that. First, I think Dannen is not here to play any of this "we are who we are" Rick Dickson bull$hit. He's not selling this as an opportunity to be the coach of a "200+ RPI nobody", he's selling a potential destination job in one of the world's great cities. The kind of opportunity someone looking to make the leap would consider.

Second, you are splitting hairs on the resume issues. Either they have coaching experience or not.
Will wonders never cease. I'm beginning to agree with JJ. Or perhaps I've read so many of his posts that I am displaying a form of capture-bonding=Stockholm-syndrome?
DrBox
Riptide

I tend to agree with JJ.
As for good coaches coming off the board, that's true. But frankly there are a dozen coaches with resumes similar to the Stony Brook coach. It's hard to choose between them...which is sort of why I find Gottlieb at least a tad intriguing (although his obnoxiousness is a problem - he'd have to make an real effort to tone it down and do hard work and avoid the cameras).
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:I tend to agree with JJ.
As for good coaches coming off the board, that's true. But frankly there are a dozen coaches with resumes similar to the Stony Brook coach. It's hard to choose between them...which is sort of why I find Gottlieb at least a tad intriguing (although his obnoxiousness is a problem - he'd have to make an real effort to tone it down and do hard work and avoid the cameras).
That's actually where I'm a little bit intrigued as well. I'm not certain that the persona isn't part of the intended package.

I think Dannen saw that Fogelman was less full than the average high school game and realizes that creating a market for the program is as big a challenge as winning games. Dannen is plenty smart enough to know that if he hired a guy like Gottlieb he'd need to be surrounded by strong, experienced assistants.

I think where people get scared is that Dickson would have hired Gottlieb and then forced him to hire Dickson's tennis buddies as assistants. Oh wait, that actually happened with CJ. :explode:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: Well I have two issues with that. First, I think Dannen is not here to play any of this "we are who we are" Rick Dickson bull$hit. He's not selling this as an opportunity to be the coach of a "200+ RPI nobody", he's selling a potential destination job in one of the world's great cities. The kind of opportunity someone looking to make the leap would consider.

Will wonders never cease. I'm beginning to agree with JJ. Or perhaps I've read so many of his posts that I am displaying a form of capture-bonding=Stockholm-syndrome?
No, but perpetually associating Tulane as a "200+ RPI nobody" is definitely closer to Stockholm Syndrome than not.
DrBox
Riptide

His brother is a long-time assistant coach, currently at Oregon State.
puffy
Surge

https://mobile.twitter.com/GreggDoyelSt ... 0124993536

Greg Lansing of Indiana St now in the rumor mill.
greenphantom
Swell

Brooks Thompson is another name to keep an eye on
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote:Brooks Thompson is another name to keep an eye on
The guy that just went 5-27 at UTSA?? He's available, got fired last week.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
greenphantom wrote:Brooks Thompson is another name to keep an eye on
The guy that just went 5-27 at UTSA?? He's available, got fired last week.

James Jones, the Yale Coach, is being mentioned by the Advocate.
puffy
Surge

Thus far, the rumored names have ranged from tepid to lackluster...
lurker123
Swell

puffy wrote:Thus far, the rumored names have ranged from tepid to lackluster...
Do any of you folks really think anyone not named Troy D will have a reasonable clue who Tulane is hiring after the leak fiasco involving EC? I'd bet not even Dannen's wife much less Fitts himself have the scoop on this. Just sit back and enjoy the spectacle.
puffy
Surge

lurker123 wrote:
Do any of you folks really think anyone not named Troy D will have a reasonable clue who Tulane is hiring after the leak fiasco involving EC? I'd bet not even Dannen's wife much less Fitts himself have the scoop on this. Just sit back and enjoy the spectacle.
If the basketball search is anything like the football coaching search, I'm sure there will be a laundry list of groan-worthy names linked to the job before we're all at least pleasantly surprised by the announcement of the genuine hire.
lurker123
Swell

puffy wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
If the basketball search is anything like the football coaching search, I'm sure there will be a laundry list of groan-worthy names linked to the job before we're all at least pleasantly surprised by the announcement of the genuine hire.
Again do you think that's a coincidence or perhaps we finally have someone in charge who knows how to conduct searching and hiring for a coach?

I'm not looking it up but was Fritz's name mentioned by anyone with credibility as being seriously linked to the Tulane job before he was hired?
Jaxwave
Swell

I have no credibility but mentioned during the search that Fitz at his age would probably not be on the bigger schools' radar and therefore the kind of candidate we'd consider.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:
puffy wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Again do you think that's a coincidence or perhaps we finally have someone in charge who knows how to conduct searching and hiring for a coach?

I'm not looking it up but was Fritz's name mentioned by anyone with credibility as being seriously linked to the Tulane job before he was hired?
I don;t remember anyone mentioning him. Certainly wasn't on most people short list.
puffy
Surge

lurker123 wrote:
puffy wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Looks like his name was linked to the job about 2 days before Kushner tweeted that Fritz and Tulane were nearing an agreement:

http://www.wjcl.com/sports/tulane-eyein ... 2685/story

https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/statu ... =twsrc^tfw
SobeWave
Ripple

lurker123 wrote:
puffy wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Fritz was mentioned by several people on the board as being on their wish list and as a candidate shortly after CJ was fired.

I suspect TD was shooting for his Dream List and is down to his B list now. Hope he lands a B and not a C.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This will be just like the football search where the name never came up in the media till right before. It's so nice to have an AD that you trust and you can just sit back and relax knowing it is going to turn out well for the program.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.