Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

How many of you watched the UNI victory over number 5 ranked Iowa State yesterday ?

The UNI coach can obviously recruit, coach (four NCAA appearances, including making it to the quarter finals), and graduate his players (seniors).

Hopefully he will WANT TO COME TO TULANE and hopefully we will welcome him without any qualms about UNI.

Roll Wave

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Ruski
Swell

Or how about King Rice at Monmouth?

Bottom line we need to Fire EC RIGHT NOW so we actually have a shot of hiring one of these top guys. Twitter campaign flooding TD's account with "Fire EC NOW" messages anyone?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Everyone just assumes Ben Jacobsen is going to want to come here because of Troy Dannen. He seems to be perfectly happy where he is. His team is good enough to beat Top Ten competition, he's got a conference that's easier overall than the AAC, so he'll make the dance every year, and probably has as good a chance of winning the tournament there as he would here. Other than money, there's no advantage to coming here.

BBall isn't the same as football. You don't need to be in a P5 to succeed.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
dpm wave
Swell

Jacobsen has a buyout that would preclude Tulane from going after him until after the 2017 or 2018 season at the earliest.

Now, if you look to Butler, you'll find a young, energetic guy that is climbing the ranks very quickly.
He would be a very good candidate:

http://butlersports.com/sports/m-baskbl ... mann_chris

Tulane once again screwed the pooch by not going after Archie Miller before he got a sweet extension at Dayton in March:

http://daytonflyers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=398&path=mbball
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I doubt TD will raid any of the UNI cupboard.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:I doubt TD will raid any of the UNI cupboard.
I kind of feel the same way. No reason to burn bridges at this early stage of his career. If he turns us around quick enough, and by some luck gets us into a P5, he could end up staying here for a very long time. Only schools you'd probably have to worry about would be if Iowa or Iowa State came calling.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:How many of you watched the UNI victory over number 5 ranked Iowa State yesterday ?

The UNI coach can obviously recruit, coach (four NCAA appearances, including making it to the quarter finals), and graduate his players (seniors).

Hopefully he will WANT TO COME TO TULANE and hopefully we will welcome him without any qualms about UNI.

Roll Wave
We can offer him the AAC, a much bigger pay check & the opportunity to coach again for Troy Dannen, fingers crossed. :2thumbs:
DrBox
Riptide

Jacobson could get a better job than us.

I still like the guy at Little Rock; I wish he'd have a couple of years under his belt instead of just one, however.
Ruski
Swell

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL at the thought of either Dayton or Butler coaches having ANY interest in jumping ship for a shot at coaching the highly respected Tulane men's basketball program. I come up with some crazy posts sometime but

phpBB [video]
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:Jacobsen has a buyout that would preclude Tulane from going after him until after the 2017 or 2018 season at the earliest.

Now, if you look to Butler, you'll find a young, energetic guy that is climbing the ranks very quickly.
He would be a very good candidate:

http://butlersports.com/sports/m-baskbl ... mann_chris

Tulane once again screwed the pooch by not going after Archie Miller before he got a sweet extension at Dayton in March:

http://daytonflyers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=398&path=mbball
Why would a good coach leave Butler to come to Tulane for hoops?

There's plenty of great coaches that are not on a sideline this year. We don't need to raid another University to get a great coach. The jumping from one school to another is much less common in basketball. And Tulane is a long, long, long way from being a "destination" for basketball coaches.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Several here successfully predicted the Willie Fritz hire months before any of us had heard of Troy Dannen. Who will be Troy Dannen's top choice ? Offer ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tommy Amaker from Harvard would be an interesting candidate. He's had some recruiting run-ins with the NCAA, but nothing that sounds firing-serious. He's beaten some ranked teams at Harvard and has taken them to the NCAA and a tournament victory. He has a pretty impressive coaching resume (asst at Duke, HC at Seton Hall and Michigan) and was an outstanding, All-American college player. Although he was terminated from Michigan for not getting them to the NCAA, he was also credited with restoring their program to credibility after their booster scandal in the early 2000s. I'm thinking if he can win at the 'Tulane of the North' (Harvard), he should excel here.

Another thought: Brad Underwood of Stephen F. Austin. Great record there (this year: 25-5, 18-0 conference, 14-0 home), but a larger school will probably grab him quickly at the end of the season.
DrBox
Riptide

Of course Underwood has the dubious distinction of blowing a 26 point lead against… Ed Conroy's Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:Of course Underwood has the dubious distinction of blowing a 26 point lead against… Ed Conroy's Tulane.
True. Wouldn't that be something if we hired a guy that EC beat this year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

Conroy also beat Larry Brown once so I guess I shouldn't make too much of it.

Someone on Twitter said that Seth Greenberg will be hired at Tulane after the AAC tournament
ajcalhoun
Swell

DrBox wrote: Someone on Twitter said that Seth Greenberg will be hired at Tulane after the AAC tournament
That'll work for me.
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:
DrBox wrote: Someone on Twitter said that Seth Greenberg will be hired at Tulane after the AAC tournament
That'll work for me.
That would be in line with the Sampson and Brown hires.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:Conroy also beat Larry Brown once so I guess I shouldn't make too much of it.

Someone on Twitter said that Seth Greenberg will be hired at Tulane after the AAC tournament
I'd be good with that hire. Would be in line with Fritz hire, bringing accomplished professionals to a program that has lacked professionalism for a long time.
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

Just read that, as a head coach for 22 seasons, Seth Greenberg has only made the NCAAs three times and has only won one NCAA tourney game. He's made the NIT quite a few times. I don't know. He would be a huge upgrade over Conroy and recent assistant coaches we have hired but I have higher aspirations than what he's done in the past. He did coach in the ACC though for Va Tech which is a big underdog in a very difficult league, so I would cut him a break on his ACC record.
anEngineer
Riptide

Looking back, it is fortunate Conroy was not replaced last year because experience with Dickson tells us the replacement coach probably would not have been much better.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would love Seth Greenberg as our coach. He is a "dragon slayer". In his years as a HC, he got teams ranked that had never been ranked before, and slayed top 10 teams fairly often. When was the last time Tulane had a W against a ranked team?

That being said, I've been told by a friend that is a big wig at ESPN that Seth has been approached many times and chooses to stay on as an analyst rather than get back into coaching. Maybe Troy Dannen can talk him back into the game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Dan Marjerle (sp) who has taken for profit Grand Canyon from start-up to 20 plus wins this season in just three years as a team ?
puffy
Surge

In Greenberg's defense, he's done a fair job at two schools where it's tough to win. USF isn't a basketball school (Only four 20 win seasons since 1971), and he coached VaTech during their initial run in the ACC. As someone else here said, he'd be worlds better than anything Tulane has trotted out in the last 17 years. It would be an interesting situation for sure, although I'm not certain how much he would be into building another program at his age.

Amaker would be tough to get away from Harvard. He's already turned down two different ACC job opportunities (Miami and BC).

Nate James from Duke is someone I'd like for Tulane to consider if they go the assistant coach route. Former National Champion as a player, and 2X national champion as an assistant coach. At 39 years old, he's probably ready to take over his own program.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:I would love Seth Greenberg as our coach. He is a "dragon slayer". In his years as a HC, he got teams ranked that had never been ranked before, and slayed top 10 teams fairly often. When was the last time Tulane had a W against a ranked team?

That being said, I've been told by a friend that is a big wig at ESPN that Seth has been approached many times and chooses to stay on as an analyst rather than get back into coaching. Maybe Troy Dannen can talk him back into the game.

If true then he isn;t coming to TU. Amaker is literally 0%.

TD will find the best man possible.
dpm wave
Swell