Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wavetime
Swell

SobeWave wrote:Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN
Tulane — and some other jobs — should be all over Chris Beard.

NOT feeling this at all. He will not be able to land any big time recruits.

Did you watch his team today? I'd love to have Beard as our coach.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:
SobeWave wrote:Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN
Tulane — and some other jobs — should be all over Chris Beard.

NOT feeling this at all. He will not be able to land any big time recruits.

Did you watch his team today? I'd love to have Beard as our coach.
+1. He made himself a lot more money today.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote:What do you guys think?

Russell Turner (UC Irvine)
Chris Beard (Arkansas Little Rock)
Ron Sanchez* (Virginia)
Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)
Edward Joyner (Hampton)
Kenny Payne* (Kentucky)
Dan Majerle(Grand Canyon)
Matt McCall (Chattanooga)
Brad Underwood (Stephen F Austin)
Todd Lee* (Grand Canyon)
Josh Schertz (Lincoln Memorial)

*Assistant Coach
I like this list a lot. Chris Beard should be at the top of this list. I think Ron Sanchez is a good assistant coach that is ready for his close up.
Ball Sumrall!
DrBox
Riptide

I've touted Little Rock since the beginning of the season. The reason is that they play ferocious defense. I can't say any more than that because I really don't know how well the coach would recruit etc. Yesterday, they had a guy who hit some crazy shots. It's really hard to pick a basketball coach. Every year there's a new batch of coaches at low and mid major programs whose teams do well. Sometimes it's an assistant who is really the brains of the operation (see Butler; Syracuse in the late 70s).
puffy
Surge

DrBox wrote:I've touted Little Rock since the beginning of the season. The reason is that they play ferocious defense. I can't say any more than that because I really don't know how well the coach would recruit etc. Yesterday, they had a guy who hit some crazy shots. It's really hard to pick a basketball coach. Every year there's a new batch of coaches at low and mid major programs whose teams do well. Sometimes it's an assistant who is really the brains of the operation (see Butler; Syracuse in the late 70s).
Just looked up Beard's coaching bio. He's well traveled with many short head coaching stints at lower level colleges and one season at a minor pro basketball league (one season at Fort St CC, one season at Seminole St College, one season with the SC Warriors of the pro ABA league, one season at McMurry University, TWO seasons at Angelo State University, and probably one season at UALR) . The common thread is that the teams win and win significantly with Beard coaching there.

DrBox, just curious as to your intimation that Butler's success was more due to an assistant than to Brad Stevens? I've not heard of this before.
DrBox
Riptide

puffy wrote: DrBox, just curious as to your intimation that Butler's success was more due to an assistant than to Brad Stevens? I've not heard of this before.
Brad Stevens WAS the assistant. Todd Lickliter was the head coach when they got good, and he was hired at Iowa. They got better when Lickliter left and Iowa, well, floundered.
SobeWave
Ripple

Chris Caputo

He is the associate head coach at Miami under respected coach Jim Larranaga. He followed Larranaga from George Mason to Miami and has worked under him for the past 14 seasons. He is essentially the defensive coordinator for the Hurricanes and is known as a good recruiter. He is from Elmhurst, New York and graduated from New York City powerhouse Archbishop Molloy, playing for legendary high school coach Jack Curran there. He is only 36 years old and considered a rising star in college basketball. He would be a hire with great potential.
Wavetime
Swell

Getting a quality coach to come to Tulane has been a challenge. Baseball is the exception in my opinion because of our history, location and our facility. I remember several years ago when we were looking for a MBB coach, Billy Kennedy, from Metairie and the coach of Murray State was a candidate. My son was in the cub scouts with the son of Billy's brother. Billy had just interviewed and I asked his brother if he had any interest. What he said really shocked me, and that was (still remember the quote) "why should he take a step down, or at best take a lateral move". Now here I am thinking that Tulane can poach a hometown successful coach to become part of our family. WRONG!

Well, that was then. We now have Fitts and Dannen, what a breath of fresh air! I would have never guessed that we would have gotten Coach Fritz, and here we are again looking for a MBB coach. Dannen has presented an aggressive timeline and he comes from a basketball school, so he has to have good contacts. I really think we have a shot this time at a good aggressive and winning coach from a smaller school. We just may land a coach from Little Rock, or SFA, or FGCU. I really believe that we will get a winner.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I would like to know how in the world SFA lost to Tulane !?!?!?!?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:I would like to know how in the world SFA lost to Tulane !?!?!?!?
Coaching. Conroy out coached that guy on his home court.
lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:I would like to know how in the world SFA lost to Tulane !?!?!?!?
Coaching. Conroy out coached that guy on his home court.
I assume you're saying that with sarcasm. Regardless SFA lost only one game to a "bad" team and that was Tulane after a miracle comeback. It's other losses were to Baylor, UNI, ASU and UAB. The only blowout loss was to Baylor in the season's opening game.

I would take two whiffs in 30+ outings without a pause to measure a coach. Wouldn't you?
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:What do you guys think?

Russell Turner (UC Irvine)
Chris Beard (Arkansas Little Rock)
Ron Sanchez* (Virginia)
Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)
Edward Joyner (Hampton)
Kenny Payne* (Kentucky)
Dan Majerle(Grand Canyon)
Matt McCall (Chattanooga)
Brad Underwood (Stephen F Austin)
Todd Lee* (Grand Canyon)
Josh Schertz (Lincoln Memorial)

*Assistant Coach
I like this list a lot. Chris Beard should be at the top of this list. I think Ron Sanchez is a good assistant coach that is ready for his close up.
Thanks. I think all of those can win here. Just like you pointed out in football, I wouldn't mind a coach who has some mileage on him. The assistants that I put on that list are some guys who I have been told are great coaches who will leave at the first division I shot they get at being a HC. Ron Sanchez and Kenny Payne would leave to win in New Orleans and bring in some players from hot spot recruiting areas. I have heard great things on Todd Lee's coaching abilities as well. Here is a little bit about him.

http://www.gculopes.com/staff.aspx?staff=166
DrBox
Riptide

Leery of Kentucky assistants. Ky recruits itself and they don't look particularly well coached. Not sure how Calipari progeny have done though (except that USF's coach is one).

UVA, on the other hand, does look particularly well coached.
puffy
Surge

DrBox wrote:Leery of Kentucky assistants. Ky recruits itself and they don't look particularly well coached. Not sure how Calipari progeny have done though (except that USF's coach is one).

But, but, but Shawn Finney worked out so well for Tulane... :ugly:
wavemania
Surge

Announcers were saying how much Gonzaga's coach loves to fish. Were better can he do that but in the Sportsman's paradise state? Couldnt hurt to ask what his price would be. ;)
RobertM320
Green Wave

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... all/coach/

Gonzaga West Coast Mark Few $1,249,603

From Wikipedia
Coach Few loves to fly fish and has chosen to stay at Gonzaga in part to provide stability for himself and his family, turning away coaching offers from larger schools over the years.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... hinwaiting
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave QB
Swell

DrBox wrote:Leery of Kentucky assistants. Ky recruits itself and they don't look particularly well coached. Not sure how Calipari progeny have done though (except that USF's coach is one).

IInteresting points.
VanceWGreen
Ripple

We know that this AD made the decision to fire Coach Conroy before the AAC tournament. Considering the dynamic performance of the team in the AAC tournament, I wonder if the AD now regrets pulling the trigger so early? There are great benefits to the thoughtful, measured evaluation approach that we saw under Mr. Dickson. I fear the contrast between that approach and the rash firings that we've seen in just a few months may hit home the hard way in the next few years. I hope I'm wrong.

I have one game to give, and his team won a NCAA tournament game this year: Bill Carmody, Holy Cross.
ajcalhoun
Swell

VanceWGreen wrote: There are great benefits to the thoughtful, measured evaluation approach that we saw under Mr. Dickson. I fear the contrast between that approach and the rash firings that we've seen in just a few months may hit home the hard way in the next few years. I hope I'm wrong.

God Bless Everyone!
Wave QB
Swell

phpBB [video]
VanceWGreen wrote:We know that this AD made the decision to fire Coach Conroy before the AAC tournament. Considering the dynamic performance of the team in the AAC tournament, I wonder if the AD now regrets pulling the trigger so early? There are great benefits to the thoughtful, measured evaluation approach that we saw under Mr. Dickson. I fear the contrast between that approach and the rash firings that we've seen in just a few months may hit home the hard way in the next few years. I hope I'm wrong.

I have one game to give, and his team won a NCAA tournament game this year: Bill Carmody, Holy Cross.
Holy Cross beat Southern in the play in game. That's not a big at all. HC was 14-19 this season with only 4 conference wins. I watched the Southern game and wasn't impressed with his coaching.

I think TD made a good decision by not keeping Conroy. I actually think Conroy is a good coach from the floor, but he was inconsistent at times and needed to feel the heat of losing down the stretch. TD wants to win like most of us. It's time for Green Wave fans to toughen up.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm sure Brad Underwood will be getting a whole lot of attention from the P5 AD's looking to hire a new coach. Here in NY, it was pointed out that his SFA Lumberjacks were 1 Pt. favorites at game time versus Notre Dame.

I'm also sure that Kermit Davis will get some attention after MTSU knocked off Michigan State.

Either one would be a HUGE success for Troy D.

And I'm more than happy that Mr. Dannen's style is a stark contrast to that of our previous AD. Tricky Rick Dickson was a failure, we needed a change there desperately.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

Kermit Davis has been at Mid Ten 14 seasons and has made 2 NCAAs and one NIT. He got A&M into NCAA trouble in his one season.
If I were going after 56 year olds, I'd take Rick Stansbury over him in a heartbeat.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Davis was a YOUNG rising superstar when he He got both Texas A&M and Syracuse into trouble for working with a player rep. That was 6 years ago when he was a 30 year old HC. He comes from a basketball family; his father was HC at Miss St. for a number of years.

Here's a good story about what it took to resurrect his career:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketbal ... es_in.html
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

And there aren't that many P5s looking for coaches around here...we get a break. It's just Okie State; maybe K State soon. Add UCF and the competition's slim. Pitt is open but they'll probably grab an east coast guy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Interesting name coming up: Scott Kushner reporting that Doug Gottlieb has shown interest in the job. During Gottlieb's freshman year, he was charged with stealing credit cards from a roommate and two others and fraudulently charging over $900 to those cards; Gottlieb has since stated that, after paying back the $900, he was allowed to say he was leaving Notre Dame, in lieu of being expelled. On June 26, 2011, he was inducted into the Southern California Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981