Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
bananax07
Ripple

winwave wrote:This will be just like the football search where the name never came up in the media till right before. It's so nice to have an AD that you trust and you can just sit back and relax knowing it is going to turn out well for the program.
our current AD has been on the job for <4 months after over a decade of ineptitude. not sure if we've earned the right to relax just yet...

winwave
Top of the WAVE

bananax07 wrote:
winwave wrote:This will be just like the football search where the name never came up in the media till right before. It's so nice to have an AD that you trust and you can just sit back and relax knowing it is going to turn out well for the program.
our current AD has been on the job for <4 months after over a decade of ineptitude. not sure if we've earned the right to relax just yet...
To each his own. As for me I am relaxing and enjoying it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
puffy wrote:Thus far, the rumored names have ranged from tepid to lackluster...
Do any of you folks really think anyone not named Troy D will have a reasonable clue who Tulane is hiring after the leak fiasco involving EC? I'd bet not even Dannen's wife much less Fitts himself have the scoop on this. Just sit back and enjoy the spectacle.
Yeah I think Dannen understands the value of PR and will not conduct business in a cone of silence. Of course, that's all pending his rooting out of any Dickson-leaks etc.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

SobeWave wrote:
I suspect TD was shooting for his Dream List and is down to his B list now. Hope he lands a B and not a C.
Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well amongst Tulane fans.

We know absolutely nothing, but just because we are Tulane fans we things must be going poorly and we're already at backstop options. :roll:
SobeWave
Ripple

"Speaking of St. Louis…former Alabama head coach and current Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Anthony Grant’s name has also come up here. BUT, his name has been even stronger at Tulane. In addition to his six seasons at Alabama (118-86), Grant spent three seasons as the head coach at VCU (76-25). It depends who you talk to, but is sounds like Tulane and their search firm Eastman and Beaudine, have a top 2 or 3, and Grant could be in that group. Other names mentioned here: Purdue assistant Greg Gary (a Tulane alum) and Yale head coach James Jones. Apparently CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb has expressed some interest as well."

I didn't realize we were using a search firm. What are your thoughts on Grant? He spent a long time working and recruiting for Billy Donovan at Florida. I think he could be perfect call.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

SobeWave wrote:"Speaking of St. Louis…former Alabama head coach and current Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Anthony Grant’s name has also come up here. BUT, his name has been even stronger at Tulane. In addition to his six seasons at Alabama (118-86), Grant spent three seasons as the head coach at VCU (76-25). It depends who you talk to, but is sounds like Tulane and their search firm Eastman and Beaudine, have a top 2 or 3, and Grant could be in that group. Other names mentioned here: Purdue assistant Greg Gary (a Tulane alum) and Yale head coach James Jones. Apparently CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb has expressed some interest as well."

I didn't realize we were using a search firm. What are your thoughts on Grant? He spent a long time working and recruiting for Billy Donovan at Florida. I think he could be perfect call.
To some extent they all use a "search firm" to a certain extent...make background checks...confirm education..etc....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:
SobeWave wrote:"Speaking of St. Louis…former Alabama head coach and current Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Anthony Grant’s name has also come up here. BUT, his name has been even stronger at Tulane. In addition to his six seasons at Alabama (118-86), Grant spent three seasons as the head coach at VCU (76-25). It depends who you talk to, but is sounds like Tulane and their search firm Eastman and Beaudine, have a top 2 or 3, and Grant could be in that group. Other names mentioned here: Purdue assistant Greg Gary (a Tulane alum) and Yale head coach James Jones. Apparently CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb has expressed some interest as well."

To some extent they all use a "search firm" to a certain extent...make background checks...confirm education..etc....
Right. This is entirely different from Rick Dickson, who did absolutely nothing other than use Tulane money to pay other people to do his job for him.
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:

Hopefully background checks, etc. are the extent of the extent.
Search firms are worthless as an identifier of candidates: Too many agendas, constant conflicts of interest.
JerseyWave
Riptide

What search firm? Where's the idea coming from that Dannen is using a search firm? Dannen has a list and is conducting the search himself is all Iread. I don't believe he used a search firm to hire Coach Fritz.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

UCF...just hired Johnnie Dawkins.... http://sportsnola.com/ucf-hires-johnny- ... all-coach/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
SobeWave
Ripple

JerseyWave wrote:What search firm? Where's the idea coming from that Dannen is using a search firm? Dannen has a list and is conducting the search himself is all Iread. I don't believe he used a search firm to hire Coach Fritz.
"Speaking of St. Louis…former Alabama head coach and current Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Anthony Grant’s name has also come up here. BUT, his name has been even stronger at Tulane. In addition to his six seasons at Alabama (118-86), Grant spent three seasons as the head coach at VCU (76-25). It depends who you talk to, but is sounds like Tulane and their search firm Eastman and Beaudine, have a top 2 or 3, and Grant could be in that group. Other names mentioned here: Purdue assistant Greg Gary (a Tulane alum) and Yale head coach James Jones. Apparently CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb has expressed some interest as well."

Source : hoop dirt
http://hoopdirt.com/25186-2/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:What search firm? Where's the idea coming from that Dannen is using a search firm? Dannen has a list and is conducting the search himself is all Iread. I don't believe he used a search firm to hire Coach Fritz.
TD said he was using one in an interview w/local media. It wasn't named nor did he indicate what their role was in the search.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
SobeWave
Ripple

winwave wrote:
TD said he was using one in an interview w/local media. It wasn't named nor did he indicate what their role was in the search.
but is sounds like Tulane and their search firm Eastman and Beaudine, have a top 2 or 3, and Grant could be in that group
SobeWave
Ripple

New Report

GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 25m25 minutes ago
#Tulane to decide this evening between #Yale's James Jones or Doug Gottlieb for their new basketball coach.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/712795769841922048
puffy
Surge

:confused:
SobeWave wrote:New Report

GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 25m25 minutes ago
#Tulane to decide this evening between #Yale's James Jones or Doug Gottlieb for their new basketball coach.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/712795769841922048
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I cannot understand how Gottlieb even got into the mix of this search...
Jaxwave
Swell

Not impressed if it's between those two. If true it's got to be the Yale coach. Unless Gottlieb is bringing brother from Oregon State or maybe it's the brother with broadcaster as assistant.
greenphantom
Swell

I'd like to see us hire Larry Coker for MBB coach.
Houma de Wave
Swell

greenphantom wrote:I'd like to see us hire Larry Coker for MBB coach.
Now this is funny!
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think I'd prefer Anthony Grant to either of those, not that he excites me. I would say we know Jones can with in an academic environment, but then again, all the teams in his conference are in the same boat, so he's got a level playing field. This situation is very different.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jeff Duncan ‏@JeffDuncan_ 24m24 minutes ago
The three names I’ve heard in the Tulane coaching search are Anthony Grant. Greg Gary and James Jones.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I think I'd prefer Anthony Grant to either of those, not that he excites me. I would say we know Jones can with in an academic environment, but then again, all the teams in his conference are in the same boat, so he's got a level playing field. This situation is very different.
It just doesn't seem to be a good year timing wise for filling a coaching position. I haven't been that impressed with this years pool to choose from.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'd rather have Seth Greenberg than the names being thrown around. He'd be a better respected "splash" hire than Gottlieb, and a proven "knows how to coach" hire. He was rumored early on, I hope he's been given serious consideration. That's my 2 cents.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
austxwave
High Tide

I'd be happy with Anthony Grant. He has high level head coaching experience. Alabama is not a basketball school and yet he did alright there. They have unrealistic expectations there which is why he was fired.
sader24
Tsunami

Gottlieb or James Jones would be uninspiring at best. How the hell did Gottlieb get in this? He's never coached.