Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Nice talk!
Last edited by Bigschtick on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DrBox
Riptide

It's okay now to drop the "Tulane is the worst job in the country" talking points. Be free.
If Greenberg has been getting offers, it's likely from schools at our level or below. I don't see why we couldn't get him if he wants to coach.

I wouldn't want Amaker. Not good at Michigan. It really is odd how so many Coach K assistants have been less than exemplary as head coaches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: If Greenberg has been getting offers, it's likely from schools at our level or below. I don't see why we couldn't get him if he wants to coach.

I wouldn't want Amaker. Not good at Michigan. It really is odd how so many Coach K assistants have been less than exemplary as head coaches.

How many of the 300+ schools that play D1 hoops are "at or below our level?" Not many, I'd venture to say. Small gym, moderate market, tough conference (tougher to get a bid) and no track record of success for about 20 years. Doc, if you think Tulane is a destination spot for basketball coaches, I want what your smokin'!

I hope we get a great coach. But TD has his work cut out for him. I've been touting Seth Greenberg for years, it was only recently that my ESPN buddy told me he's happy there. If we were to get him on our sidelines, I'd predict an NCAA bid in two years, three tops. I'd also be VERY impressed with TD and Fitts' ability to get their top choice.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote: If Greenberg has been getting offers, it's likely from schools at our level or below. I don't see why we couldn't get him if he wants to coach.

How many of the 300+ schools that play D1 hoops are "at or below our level?" Not many, I'd venture to say.
Completely and utterly ridiculous.
How many are below? A heck of a lot more than are above us. By a wide margin.
ajcalhoun
Swell

DrBox wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

How many of the 300+ schools that play D1 hoops are "at or below our level?" Not many, I'd venture to say.
Completely and utterly ridiculous.
How many are below? A heck of a lot more than are above us. By a wide margin.
I'd say we were at about 100th out of 300, below all of the P5, all of the Big East and the Atlantic 10, and about half of the G5. That's still better than about 200 others,
God Bless Everyone!
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I cannot agree that we're a top 100 job for coaching basketball in D1. Sorry, but there's a whole lot of "mid majors" that are way ahead of us. I measure by fan support, TV market, how many teams the conference puts into the tournament, how often they've gone to the only tournament that matters, and support of the University they represent.

I do think that things can change very quickly IF WE WIN. But as of today, I think we're in the bottom half, if not bottom 100 of D1 destinations for a coach.
galvezwave
Swell

Greenberg is from the Clark era. Did he burn out? He worked very hard for a long time in hard to win places. If he's content with his current gig its probably best to keep it. Green Bay coach is interesting. They always compete in what has to be a brutal place to recruit.

This was a good job until Scott Cowan took the presidency. Period. It became a good job again the minute Cowan /Dickson were out the door. I firmly believe that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Conroy was informed about decision last week. Very curious as to who we go after?
puffy
Surge

DrBox wrote:It's okay now to drop the "Tulane is the worst job in the country" talking points. Be free.
If Greenberg has been getting offers, it's likely from schools at our level or below. I don't see why we couldn't get him if he wants to coach.

Outside of Snyder at Mizzou, I don't know of any other in the Coach K tree that were "less than exemplary". Amaker did ok given the sanctions he inherited from the Michigan booster scandal.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Dannen probably already knows who his primary and secondary targets are and he made some calls to start preliminary research.
DrBox
Riptide

puffy wrote:
DrBox wrote:It's okay now to drop the "Tulane is the worst job in the country" talking points. Be free.

Outside of Snyder at Mizzou, I don't know of any other in the Coach K tree that were "less than exemplary". Amaker did ok given the sanctions he inherited from the Michigan booster scandal.
How's the guy at Marquette doing with that program? Dig a little Stanford?
I can't name one who's done well.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Mandeville Wave wrote:Conroy was informed about decision last week. Very curious as to who we go after?
If he was, he truly played the sly act in this interview earlier this week:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... on-way-out
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
puffy wrote:

Quinn Snyder has done pretty well. I agree, though, nobody on his tree has become a pillar like Coach K is. He went something like 25-0 vs. coaches on his tree, finally breaking that winning streak when Notre Dame (Bob Brey) beat them in the ACC Tourney a couple of years ago. Snyder is the HC of the Utah Jazz. I'd take Snyder if he were to get fired by the Jazz, but the timing might not work out. Snyder is a brilliant man, he has 3 degrees from Duke including an MBA and JD. Brey is a pretty darned good coach as well. Overall that tree hasn't produced the fruit you would expect.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

DfromCT wrote:
Mandeville Wave wrote:Conroy was informed about decision last week. Very curious as to who we go after?
If he was, he truly played the sly act in this interview earlier this week:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... on-way-out
Yes, I found that interview interesting. It was almost like he was channeling his inner RD.
shorebreak
Ripple

anEngineer wrote:Looking back, it is fortunate Conroy was not replaced last year because experience with Dickson tells us the replacement coach probably would not have been much better.
Absolutely true, I'd like to think Dickson was exercising restraint and not saddling the new AD with a 5 year BB contract, but I think it's probably only coincidental incompetence.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
Quinn Snyder has done pretty well. I agree, though, nobody on his tree has become a pillar like Coach K is. He went something like 25-0 vs. coaches on his tree, finally breaking that winning streak when Notre Dame (Bob Brey) beat them in the ACC Tourney a couple of years ago. Snyder is the HC of the Utah Jazz. I'd take Snyder if he were to get fired by the Jazz, but the timing might not work out. Snyder is a brilliant man, he has 3 degrees from Duke including an MBA and JD. Brey is a pretty darned good coach as well. Overall that tree hasn't produced the fruit you would expect.
I didn't realize Brey was one of his. He''s really good.
Snyder's a good coach, but he had trouble honoring the rules.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Brey's the only one to beat him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

I'd like to see us make a run at Larry Coker
puffy
Surge

DrBox wrote:
puffy wrote:

I would hope Mike Brey at Notre Dame would meet your criteria of a coach who has done well. They were in the Elite 8 last season and pushed UK to the brink.

Dawkins is struggling at Stanford this season, but he's led that program to a Sweet 16, an NIT Championship and NIT Finals runner-up during his time there. Not the level success that Mike Montgomery had in the 90's and early aughts, but those are nice skins to have on your wall. If Stanford let's him go after this season, he'd be a good fit here at Tulane.

Marquette won 20 games this season after only winning 13 in Wojo's first season there. His last two recruiting classes have been ranked in the top 15 and 40. They will be an NCAA tourney team next season.

Chris Collins led Northwestern to a 20 win regular season in his 2nd season there, which either has never happened before in its history, or doesn't happen very often.

Jeff Capel had success at VCU and OK, and is on the short list of coaches who could take over at Duke once Coach K retires.
Wavetime
Swell

Coach Matthew Driscoll from North Florida. Successful southern coach that was an assistant at Valpo and Baylor. This is the his second straight 22+ win year.

http://www.unfospreys.com/coaches.aspx? ... ath=mbball
Wave QB
Swell

Wavetime wrote:Coach Matthew Driscoll from North Florida. Successful southern coach that was an assistant at Valpo and Baylor. This is the his second straight 22+ win year.

http://www.unfospreys.com/coaches.aspx? ... ath=mbball
I like him as well.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Joe Pasternack would be interesting
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... EASON=2015
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

I know Pasternak from his UNO days. He would be a great hire!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!