Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Why haven't we heard Bryce Drew's name? Tulane should be a step up from Valparaiso.

RobertM320
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Why haven't we heard Bryce Drew's name? Tulane should be a step up from Valparaiso.
I spoke to someone recently who's familiar with Indiana. Says Valparaiso is a miserable place to live. Seems like a move from there to New Orleans would be worth it, regardless of the job itself.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bigschtick
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:I'd rather have Seth Greenberg than the names being thrown around. He'd be a better respected "splash" hire than Gottlieb, and a proven "knows how to coach" hire. He was rumored early on, I hope he's been given serious consideration. That's my 2 cents.

My vote as well.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
puffy
Surge

https://twitter.com/DaveBorges/status/7 ... 5210484736
David Borges
‏@DaveBorges

Despite reports to the contrary, Tulane has had zero contact with Yale head coach James Jones.
6:06 AM - 24 Mar 2016
But that doesn't mean his agent hasn't been contacted.

I'm thinking TD will find his coach by Friday, leaking of a pending agreement will happen on twitter over the weekend, and the intro presser will happen Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Eaglewave
Swell

SobeWave wrote:"Speaking of St. Louis…former Alabama head coach and current Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Anthony Grant’s name has also come up here. BUT, his name has been even stronger at Tulane. In addition to his six seasons at Alabama (118-86), Grant spent three seasons as the head coach at VCU (76-25). It depends who you talk to, but is sounds like Tulane and their search firm Eastman and Beaudine, have a top 2 or 3, and Grant could be in that group. Other names mentioned here: Purdue assistant Greg Gary (a Tulane alum) and Yale head coach James Jones. Apparently CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb has expressed some interest as well."

I didn't realize we were using a search firm. What are your thoughts on Grant? He spent a long time working and recruiting for Billy Donovan at Florida. I think he could be perfect call.
I will take Grant in a heartbeat. He is a winner. I believe that James Jones would win here as well.
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: How the hell did Gottlieb get in this? He's never coached.
Not sure but he was just on the Dan Patrick show talking about coaching. He answered every question but "blew by the Tulane question" as per Patrick. He said he's "very intrigued" with coaching but he'd have to discuss it with his wife and family since he has a good job now so a coaching job "would have to be the right fit."
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dan interviews Gottlieb:
Skip to Hour 2 (33min mark) he's asked about Tulane:
Then at the (37min mark) after the interview is over Dan commented on the Tulane job:
http://www.danpatrick.com/2016/03/24/

OSU video clip comment:
http://www.danpatrick.com/guests/doug-gottlieb/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

puffy wrote:https://twitter.com/DaveBorges/status/7 ... 5210484736
David Borges
‏@DaveBorges

Despite reports to the contrary, Tulane has had zero contact with Yale head coach James Jones.

I'm thinking TD will find his coach by Friday, leaking of a pending agreement will happen on twitter over the weekend, and the intro presser will happen Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Borges is a U Conn writer, so I doubt he knows one way or the other.
That said, Jones is uninspiring. But probably a good coach.
Grant - good at VCU, not good at Bama.
Greg Gary - I mean, really.
I am surprised they haven't looked at Pasternack.
threeputt
High Tide

I think Greg Gary would be the best of any of the names that have been leaked here. At least I hope so ...

Expect an announcement soon ...
galvezwave
Swell

threeputt wrote:I think Greg Gary would be the best of any of the names that have been leaked here. At least I hope so ...

These guys just don't fit what I expect to be TDs profile. I hate to bash one of our own. But I'm not going to be enticed into buying tickets if we hire a Greg Gary. He went 16-44 as a head guy (granted, not the best situation) , he's 46 and still not on any list for a job like this. Other than being a great player here, why should he get a serious look? Dannen didn't sell the football program short, and I hope he doesn't now. This was a GOOD job. Let's get the guy who can fix it back.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Why haven't we heard Bryce Drew's name? Tulane should be a step up from Valparaiso.

20 years ago, it was a step up from Valpo. But it isn't now. Being a consistent winning Mid Major is more attractive in basketball than being a perennial loser in a higher ranked mid-major conference. 5 years from now, with the right hire, Tulane basketball HC might be a better job. But right now it's not close, Valpo has better fan support, more recent history, and easier to recruit to than Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Houma de Wave
Swell

DrBox wrote:
puffy wrote:https://twitter.com/DaveBorges/status/7 ... 5210484736
David Borges
‏@DaveBorges

Borges is a U Conn writer, so I doubt he knows one way or the other.
That said, Jones is uninspiring. But probably a good coach.
Grant - good at VCU, not good at Bama.
Greg Gary - I mean, really.
I am surprised they haven't looked at Pasternack.
Box: Jones has had 9 winning seasons in 18 campaigns at Yale. A couple of those were barely winning seasons. His best was this past season. And the competition is half-Ivy League. I don't know about this guy.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:

20 years ago, it was a step up from Valpo. But it isn't now. Being a consistent winning Mid Major is more attractive in basketball than being a perennial loser in a higher ranked mid-major conference. 5 years from now, with the right hire, Tulane basketball HC might be a better job. But right now it's not close, Valpo has better fan support, more recent history, and easier to recruit to than Tulane.
. Yes it is a better job than Valpo and it's not even close.By that logic Oklahoma State wasn't step up from Stephen F Austin. And certainly Georgia Southern was a better job than Tulane. Tulane is a better school better conference far more resources than Valpo. the gap is wide. Recruiting? Check out that Valpo recruiting. Nothing but two stars and not rated.He's not coming here because he's at the point where he can get virtually the pick of the litter of jobs up east in the Midwest where hes from and he's young enough to wait.
Last edited by DrBox on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:

Cowen/Dickson are gone. More recent history? Easier to recruit?

Tulane fans remain unable to imagine reality after 15 years of Cowen/Dickson.
Bigschtick
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:
threeputt wrote:I think Greg Gary would be the best of any of the names that have been leaked here. At least I hope so ...

These guys just don't fit what I expect to be TDs profile. I hate to bash one of our own. But I'm not going to be enticed into buying tickets if we hire a Greg Gary. He went 16-44 as a head guy (granted, not the best situation) , he's 46 and still not on any list for a job like this. Other than being a great player here, why should he get a serious look? Dannen didn't sell the football program short, and I hope he doesn't now. This was a GOOD job. Let's get the guy who can fix it back.

Plus1 Gary would be a big disappointment.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
threeputt
High Tide

If anybody here really believes that Tulne is a better job than Valpo - they have lost their mind. As stated above, Valpo is easier to recruit to, easier to win at and pays more money ...

No way that Tulane hires away the head coach from Valpo ... No way ..
RobertM320
Green Wave

threeputt wrote:If anybody here really believes that Tulne is a better job than Valpo - they have lost their mind. As stated above, Valpo is easier to recruit to, easier to win at and pays more money - a lot more money ...

I think you're wrong.

1) Valparaiso, IN is a dump.

2) Valparaiso does NOT pay more money.

The link is a list of what coaches in the 2015 NCAA tournament made. If we can't pay more to the right person than what Drew is getting now, we need to close up shop and go home.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... all/coach/
Valparaiso Horizon Bryce Drew $285,927
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
threeputt
High Tide

Exactly how much do you think Conroy was making???
Show Me
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
threeputt wrote:If anybody here really believes that Tulne is a better job than Valpo - they have lost their mind. As stated above, Valpo is easier to recruit to, easier to win at and pays more money - a lot more money ...

I think you're wrong.

The link is a list of what coaches in the 2015 NCAA tournament made. If we can't pay more to the right person than what Drew is getting now, we need to close up shop and go home.

Our women's coach Lisa S makes more than that.
Show Me
Tsunami

threeputt wrote:Exactly how much do you think Conroy was making???
$650K-$700K but TD has stated our coach will be paid in the middle of the AAC pack. So that's around $1.5MM
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
$650K-$700K but TD has stated our coach will be paid in the middle of the AAC pack. So that's around $1.5MM
I would think $1M plus SHOULD be enough incentive for him make a jump from Valpo to here, no matter what their "recent history" is. If he can't sell recruits on NOLA over Valparaiso, do we really want him?

And if a recruit would rather play Cleveland State, Wright State, UIC, Belmont, Northern Kentucky, Youngstown State, etc, instead of Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn, etc, just because they MAY get to play a game or two in the NCAA (this year NIT), do we really want them? The best players want to play against the best competition.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:

I think you're wrong.

He signed a ten year extension in 2013, not sure the buyout. Valpo is is alma mater but he is from Baton Rouge. In the past he turned down jobs at Miss St and Tulsa. It would be a great get but a tough sell to Drew. Maybe he jumps at the huge pay raise.
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
I would think $1M plus SHOULD be enough incentive for him make a jump from Valpo to here, no matter what their "recent history" is. If he can't sell recruits on NOLA over Valparaiso, do we really want him?

And if a recruit would rather play Cleveland State, Wright State, UIC, Belmont, Northern Kentucky, Youngstown State, etc, instead of Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn, etc, just because they MAY get to play a game or two in the NCAA (this year NIT), do we really want them? The best players want to play against the best competition.
Good summary. The American is a Top 8 basketball conference out of 30 plus NCAA ones. It just earned more NCAA bids than the SEC and that's with Memphis and a Larry Brown team staying home. I have no idea if Drew is interested in Tulane but I do know that a lot of good candidates are interested probably more as a stepping stone than as a destination but who cares as Dannen has continually noted. Just get a winner in here and then rinse and repeat as needed.

I recommend self-esteem class for those who need it after the Easter break.
SobeWave
Ripple

Grant is the best name publicly associated with the position right now. I'm a fan if Seth Greenberg but I haven't heard anything connecting him. Don't forget that Grant spent 10 years recruiting for Billy Donovan at Florida. All you need is 1 or 2 big recruits to turn a program around. I'd be very pleased if he's the call. I don't understand the interest in the Yale coach at all. The Gottlieb mentions/links are smart PR. Generates interest
DrBox
Riptide

threeputt wrote:If anybody here really believes that Tulne is a better job than Valpo - they have lost their mind. As stated above, Valpo is easier to recruit to, easier to win at and pays more money ...
False statements across the board.
We won't get him, but it's not because Valpo is a better job. It isn't.
And a nondescript assistant from Purdue who was awful in his one head coaching try is NOT the best we can do.
SobeWave wrote:Grant is the best name publicly associated with the position right now. I'm a fan if Seth Greenberg but I haven't heard anything connecting him. Don't forget that Grant spent 10 years recruiting for Billy Donovan at Florida. All you need is 1 or 2 big recruits to turn a program around. I'd be very pleased if he's the call. I don't understand the interest in the Yale coach at all. The Gottlieb mentions/links are smart PR. Generates interest
I'd prefer the Yale coach to Grant. I just can't get around Grant's mediocre performance at Alabama. Southern school, they take anybody with a pulse, and he didn't do much. He won a lot of games at VCU, but Capel came before him, and Smart after him, and I just wonder how much building he did there.

As for the Yale coach, I have nothing substantive, other than I think he's a good coach and coaches defense. But there is nothing on the resume that stands out.
Same is true for the latest name, Greg Lansing.