Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

somebody...or someone go to the nola.com site and paste the 12 coachs for the job...I am on a golf course and do not have the time...there are some interesting names on the list

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:somebody...or someone go to the nola.com site and paste the 12 coachs for the job...I am on a golf course and do not have the time...there are some interesting names on the list
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
SobeWave
Ripple

Interesting list. Bob Marlin has to be in serious consideration based on his ties to Fritz and Pierce at Sam Houston State (I'm assuming he was there with them...can anyone conform that?)
puffy
Surge

SobeWave wrote:Interesting list. Bob Marlin has to be in serious consideration based on his ties to Fritz and Pierce at Sam Houston State (I'm assuming he was there with them...can anyone conform that?)
Looks like Marlin might've overlapped for a few months in early 2010 when Fritz took over the football program. He left shortly thereafter to take over ULL in 2010.

Pierce joined SHSU a year later in 2011.
puffy
Surge

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpearsNBAYah ... 6429623297

Interesting name brought up by someone in the national media: Robert Pack of the Pels. The one thing though is he has no experience coaching/recruiting at the college level.
Profoundwizard
Swell

SobeWave wrote:Interesting list. Bob Marlin has to be in serious consideration based on his ties to Fritz and Pierce at Sam Houston State (I'm assuming he was there with them...can anyone conform that?)
Once coaching at the same school as our other coaches seems like a pretty terrible reason for a guy to be in serious consideration.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I was just thinking back. This will be my 10th basketball coach since I've followed TU basketball through the following coaching changes:
Started with Ralph Petersen, Dick Longo, Charlie Moir, Roy Danforth, Ned Fowler, Perry Clark, Shawn Finney, Dave Dickerson, and finally Ed Conroy.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wavemania
Surge

I still say Tim Floyd would be a great fit here. Cant do any worse than the past 3 coaches
greenie78
Riptide

I would go with Brent Underwood at Stephen F. Austin. Proven winner in the Southland. Is ready for a coaching job in a conference like the AAC.
SobeWave
Ripple

Profoundwizard wrote:
Once coaching at the same school as our other coaches seems like a pretty terrible reason for a guy to be in serious consideration.
OK "serious" may have been a poor choice of words but if your baseball and football coach worked with a potential basketball coach that could help him. But it looks like there time together was minimal so who knows. I only mentioned him bc of the NOLA post.
DrBox
Riptide

Marlin would be a laughably bad hire. Fritz and Pierce aren't hiring the basketball coach
Jaxwave
Swell

Great game coach or great recruiter? Which do we need more? We certainly need a nice uptick in talent to compete with the top of the AAC, but it would also be nice to see a well coached team. Ned Fowler or Perry Clark, take your pick.
puffy
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:Great game coach or great recruiter? Which do we need more? We certainly need a nice uptick in talent to compete with the top of the AAC, but it would also be nice to see a well coached team. Ned Fowler or Perry Clark, take your pick.
Great coach. I'd rather find someone who can do more with less (think Brad Stevens). Once success comes, then recruiting will see an uptick.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:Great game coach or great recruiter? Which do we need more? We certainly need a nice uptick in talent to compete with the top of the AAC, but it would also be nice to see a well coached team. Ned Fowler or Perry Clark, take your pick.
Great coach. Look at Johnny Jones for example.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Or John Calipari :mrgreen:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Or John Calipari :mrgreen:
Right. But we have a better chance landing a great coach vs those one and done players Cal is getting.
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

What happened to everhart? He was fired from Duquesne, but he did turn that program around. Seems like there were other issues off court. But in the end, they were really mediocre - ish. He was really a rising star at one time know for being the total package. Tulane definitely slipped when he left. I wonder if he has anything in the tank or is he content hanging with Huggins.
Wave QB
Swell

What do you guys think?

Russell Turner (UC Irvine)
Chris Beard (Arkansas Little Rock)
Ron Sanchez* (Virginia)
Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)
Edward Joyner (Hampton)
Kenny Payne* (Kentucky)
Dan Majerle(Grand Canyon)
Matt McCall (Chattanooga)
Brad Underwood (Stephen F Austin)
Todd Lee* (Grand Canyon)
Josh Schertz (Lincoln Memorial)

*Assistant Coach
swampnik
Surge

Would be happy also with a former Tulanian: Kim Lewis, Greg Gary, Ron Everhart.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
galvezwave
Swell

swampnik wrote:Would be happy also with a former Tulanian: Kim Lewis, Greg Gary, Ron Everhart.
Have Kim and /or Greg even been interviewed for a head job on this level? They have been at it for a while now. Just wondering. I like both as assistants. They know what devlin is supposed to look and feel like on game night.
OGSB
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
swampnik wrote:Would be happy also with a former Tulanian: Kim Lewis, Greg Gary, Ron Everhart.
Have Kim and /or Greg even been interviewed for a head job on this level? They have been at it for a while now. Just wondering. I like both as assistants. They know what devlin is supposed to look and feel like on game night.
Greg Gary was head coach at Centenary for a couple seasons. Only won 16 games then resigned, apparently because they were dropping to DIII.
Livin' rent free
galvezwave
Swell

OGSB wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
Greg Gary was head coach at Centenary for a couple seasons. Only won 16 games then resigned, apparently because they were dropping to DIII.
That's right I forgot about that stint. We need to go bigger.
threeputt
High Tide

Greg Gary is at Purdue now and has helped recruit some really good bigs ... That is something that we desperately need here at Tulane ..
SobeWave
Ripple

This is a huge hire for TD. You can turn a basketball program around quickly. Just need a couple solid recruits unlike football. Not rocket science. Tulane program needs a great recruiter (Perry Clark/Jerald Honeycutt) AND a good X&O guy. Has to be both for a program like ours. Perfect example is Laranega at Miami. I'm fired up. NCAA Tourney next year baby!!
SobeWave
Ripple

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN
Tulane — and some other jobs — should be all over Chris Beard.

NOT feeling this at all. He will not be able to land any big time recruits.