Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:Joe Pasternack would be interesting
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... EASON=2015
Pasternack's name rung a bell, then I realized he was UNO's HC for a couple of years after Katrina. Read up his Wikipedia page and saw that he succeeded Buzz Williams at UNO, who left after only one season to take an assistant job at Marquette. He took over there one season later after Crean left for IU, and had big time success before leaving for VaTech.

Anyway, King Rice of Monmouth looks like a HC who's ready to step up to the next level of competition.

swampnik
Surge

Still think the Memphis coach should get a look from us if he is canned. (might bring Tarrant back to us too by transfer).
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Eaglewave
Swell

swampnik wrote:Still think the Memphis coach should get a look from us if he is canned. (might bring Tarrant back to us too by transfer).
There is no doubt about it. Could be a great hire.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

swampnik wrote:Still think the Memphis coach should get a look from us if he is canned. (might bring Tarrant back to us too by transfer).
Tarrant is a graduate transfer at Memphis. He graduated from Alabama. I doubt he has any more eligibility.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wavetime
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
There is no doubt about it. Could be a great hire.

I disagree on both fronts. Not winning at Memphis is like not winning at Georgia in Football. Tarrant is out of eligibility (I believe) and do we really want him back? He left us and Alabama. Good Luck, that ship has sailed.....
Jaxwave
Swell

I attended some of UNF's games over the last 2 years. They play a fun running offensive system with the first open three being taken. Lots of scoring. He's also done a good job in under the radar recruiting. Did have a stinker in their last conference tournament game getting blown out by Florida Gulf Coast by 30. FGC was a bad matchup as they have a strong scorer inside and UNF lost their one good inside defender to injury earlier in the year.
All in all I think Driscoll is a solid no nonsense intense coach who wouldn't be a bad hire, but I would hope Tulane could attract a better and more proven coach.
SobeWave
Ripple

I've always been a fan of Seth Greenberg dating back to his Long Beach State days. Sharp basketball guy who will build a competitive team and will not be looking to leave.
OGSB
Swell

We already have a coach who's not looking to leave. Shouldn't be a criteria.
Livin' rent free
GreenLantern
Riptide

SobeWave wrote:I've always been a fan of Seth Greenberg dating back to his Long Beach State days. Sharp basketball guy who will build a competitive team and will not be looking to leave.
I hope that our next coach is so capable, aggressive and ambitious that he is eager to leave...one who has a dream job of Duke or Kentucky. I hope we repeat this cycle until the time comes that Tulane is a preferred destination for the best and brightest young coaches.
DrBox
Riptide

Yes, of course you take Greenberg if he's interested. He was in Tampa for a long time, so maybe there's a Glazer connection.

I would be leery of Pasternak for some to reason. Maybe it's because we'd get Ken Trahaned and Ed Danielsed to death.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Jeff Capel, Associate Head Coach at Duke and Duke alum. Comes from a coaching family and was Head Coach at Oklahoma. Head Coach of three NCAA tournament teams.
SobeWave
Ripple

OGSB wrote:We already have a coach who's not looking to leave. Shouldn't be a criteria.
I agree that it shouldn't be a criteria. Just pointing out that we could have a top notch coach for a long period of time. But yes, I'd love for him to win NCAA tourney and bolt for Kentucky.

Bryce Drew on the TD radar
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OGSB wrote:We already have a coach who's not looking to leave. Shouldn't be a criteria.
Yes normally I would agree. It's almost never a good idea to use that criteria, especially for schools lower on the totem pole.

But, if it's true that he has Seth Greenberg interested, I think in this case Dannen is actually selling that exact opportunity. Dannen knows that Tulane can be a "destination program" and is selling that opportunity. That's why a guy like Fritz jumps at the opportunity to work with him.

Fritz and Greenberg both fit the profile of coaches who would be more interested in putting down roots in a city like NOLA than trying to jump around on the career ladder.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If TD gets Seth Greenberg, I will get on my knees and cow-tow to him!

I have ZERO upset about the media's treatment of EC's job status during the tournament. It was on them, not TD or EC, or The Hullabaloo. It was simply an interesting story with the Wave winning a game and at the time playing the # 2 seed tough. The fact that some, on air, made it look like Tulane was doing this during the tournament, when we all knew weeks ago what was going to happen, was just poor spinning by ESPN.

Tim Cluess. Look him up if Seth G wants to stay on TV!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
puffy
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:Jeff Capel, Associate Head Coach at Duke and Duke alum. Comes from a coaching family and was Head Coach at Oklahoma. Head Coach of three NCAA tournament teams.
Would be a home run hire by TD. But I suspect he is on the short list to replace Coach K and may just stay as the associate HC there until that decision is made.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Because he took a national powerhouse program and turned it into a mid tier AAC program???????

No.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Scott Kushner ‏@ScottDKushner 13m13 minutes ago

Advocate: #Tulane parts ways with Ed Conroy, begins search for replacement. http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... eplacement
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Scott Kushner ‏@ScottDKushner 5m5 minutes ago

Some early names bubbling up for #Tulane include Seth Greenberg (former Va Tech), Greg Gary (Purdue asst) and Roman Banks (Southern).
GreenLantern
Riptide

"I would like to thank Scott Cowen and Rick Dickson for the opportunity to lead the Tulane men's basketball program," Conroy said in a statement released by the school.
Guess it's official:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ays_w.html
greenphantom
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:Scott Kushner ‏@ScottDKushner 5m5 minutes ago

Some early names bubbling up for #Tulane include Seth Greenberg (former Va Tech), Greg Gary (Purdue asst) and Roman Banks (Southern).
Hope more names surface. Not sure why people are so high on Greenberg. Only 1 NCAA appearance in 9 years at VaTech, 0 in 7 years at South Florida.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I saw Seth G on ESPN yesterday. He was definitely on.
JerseyWave
Riptide

My first choice would be Bryce Drew. Then Ben Jacobson and then Jeff Capel.

There's an article that even mentions the return of Perry Clark.
Wave755
Tsunami

Here is the Advocate story on Conroy's firing:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... eplacement
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:My first choice would be Bryce Drew. Then Ben Jacobson and then Jeff Capel.

If someone mentions Perry Clark my head is going to explode, and similarly the Ben Jacobsen mentions are headache-worthy. Just as every time the football coaching job opens up people start inquiring about Tommy Bowden, these suggestions are somewhere between unreasonable and unimaginative.

Dannen knows how to pick coaches. That's how he hired Jacobsen in the first place. Dannen did not get lucky with Jacobsen, requiring him to try to re-hire Jacobsen at every job.

Dannen will either go the more experienced route (Seth Greenberg) or find the next Ben Jacobsen, not the current Ben Jacobsen.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:My first choice would be Bryce Drew. Then Ben Jacobson and then Jeff Capel.

If someone mentions Perry Clark my head is going to explode, and similarly the Ben Jacobsen mentions are headache-worthy. Just as every time the football coaching job opens up people start inquiring about Tommy Bowden, these suggestions are somewhere between unreasonable and unimaginative.

Dannen knows how to pick coaches. That's how he hired Jacobsen in the first place. Dannen did not get lucky with Jacobsen, requiring him to try to re-hire Jacobsen at every job.

Dannen will either go the more experienced route (Seth Greenberg) or find the next Ben Jacobsen, not the current Ben Jacobsen.
Except Dannen didn't hire Ben Jacobsen. He was there before TD got to Northern Iowa, and has a long term contract Dannen signed him too with an expensive buy-out. So, you are right, he didn't get lucky with Jacobsen!